Kartagraphy Markoff. Did "Mark" Get Any Geography Right?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
ghost

Re: Kartagraphy Markoff. Did "Mark" Get Any Geography Right?

Post by ghost »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:section Mark 7:32 – 11:1
It's better if you mention the specific verses where the toponyms/demonyms are mentioned. This is so because a name can stand for two or more places depending on verse, and also because the middle of Mark is not necessarily in chronological order. For example, "Dalmanutha" can stand for Dalmatia in one section but for Alexandria in another section.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

ghost wrote:
Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:section Mark 7:32 – 11:1
It's better if you mention the specific verses where the toponyms/demonyms are mentioned. This is so because a name can stand for two or more places depending on verse, and also because the middle of Mark is not necessarily in chronological order. For example, "Dalmanutha" can stand for Dalmatia in one section but for Alexandria in another section.
Hi ghost, please note, what my goal is. My "reader" is just trying to understand what Mark presented as "geography" in his gospel.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:That´s an experiment: How would an ancient reader of Mark´s gospel imagine the world of Jesus - (who know absolutely nothing about the real geography, but read very carefully)?
ghost

Post by ghost »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:Hi ghost, please note, what my goal is. My "reader" is just trying to understand what Mark presented as "geography" in his gospel.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:That´s an experiment: How would an ancient reader of Mark´s gospel imagine the world of Jesus - (who know absolutely nothing about the real geography, but read very carefully)?
Hi. I see. I was supposing the ancient reader already knows the real toponyms, even if he doesn't know the real geography.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

ghost wrote:
"Dalmanutha" can stand for Dalmatia in one section but for Alexandria in another section.
Mark 8: 10 - 11 (Alexander Aramaic):

10. And at once he climbed aboard the vessel with his disciples and came to the land of oppression*.
11. And the Pharisees came out and began making demands to him, and they asked him for signs from heaven, so as to test him.

*8:10 Lit. Aramaic: "Dalmanutha."

Here's another "Crossing Over" passage and it makes sense if it's about crossing over to Antonia. "Dalmanutha" is the "Land of Oppression" - "It's where the Pharisees stay!"
This keeps the action very close. The Pharisees have offices in Antonia. There are jails there. It is probably where the Priests stay as well.

Matthew 5: 20 (Moffatt):

[20] For I tell you, unless your goodness excels that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never get into the Realm of heaven.

The Realm of Heaven is a Real Place and you must be a Priest to get into it. The Scribes and Pharisees, who control the entrances to the Realm of Heaven at the Passover Slaughter of 4 BCE cannot get into the Realm of Heaven.
They are not Priests. The Pharisees live in the "Land of Oppression" - "Dalmanutha".

CW
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

ghost wrote:
Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:Hi ghost, please note, what my goal is. My "reader" is just trying to understand what Mark presented as "geography" in his gospel.
Hi. I see. I was supposing the ancient reader already knows the real toponyms, even if he doesn't know the real geography.
Maybe. But she ;) is a true christian. She is deeply convinced that Mark is presenting the real geography of the holy land and this is the reason why she is so interested in studying Mark´s gospel. :mrgreen:
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Who is she?
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

last section Mark 11:2 – 16:8

1. There is no chance for my reader to get a image of Jerusalem. Mark has a few geographical elements (the temple, Mount of Olives, the house of the passover, Gethsemane, the courtyard of the high priest, the palace of Pilate, Golgotha, the tomb, Bethany, the house of Simon the leper), but their location and distance are not detectable.

2. There are a few phrases that refers back to the geography of the sections in Mark 1:1-11:1.
- Mark 14:69 - Galilean (Γαλιλαῖος)
- Mark 15:2,9,12,18,26 - Judean (Ἰουδαῖος)
The reader will probably think that a Galilean is an inhabitant of Galilee, a Judean an inhabitant of Judea and a “Ἱεροσολυμίτης“ (Mark 1:5) an inhabitant of Jerusalem. Therefore the charge against Jesus, that he would be the King of the Judeans is really crazy for our reader (not false, it´s crazy – cause Jesus had only a little, little relationship to Judea [it was one of the regions on his way from Galilee to Jerusalem]).

3. Last question for our reader. What means „Israel“ in a geographical sense (Mark 12:29; 15:32)?
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Who is this reader?

Are you trying to convert someone ?
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Why would anyone expect to learn geography from a religious book? and why from Christian haters?
The reader should be better advised

“Our holyland tours with Guided tours israel”
Review of Guided Tours Israel - Private Day Tours
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... trict.html
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Hi beowulf ! Apologies, but I do not understand your question.

This is the answer. I´m posting it the third time. ;)
No, I´m not a christian hater, I´m a Mark lover.