OutSourcing Paul-Contract Labor of Love-Paul=Markan Source

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Re: OutSourcing Paul-Contract Labor of Love-Paul=Markan Sour

Post by rgprice »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:07 pm .
The following post wishs to show that Mark’s assumed source (Paul) can open the door to an interesting interpretation of Mark.

Mark 5 Matthew 9 Luke 8
24 And a great crowd followed him and thronged about him. 25 And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, 26 and who had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse. 27 She had heard the reports about Jesus and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his garment. 28 For she said, “If I touch even his garments, I will be made well.” 29 And immediately the flow of blood dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease. 19 And Jesus rose and followed him, with his disciples. 20 And behold, a woman who had suffered from a discharge of blood for twelve years came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, 21 for she said to herself, “If I only touch his garment, I will be made well.” 22 Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, “Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And instantly the woman was made well. 42 As Jesus went, the people pressed around him. 43 And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and though she had spent all her living on physicians, she could not be healed by anyone. 44 She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, and immediately her discharge of blood ceased. 45 And Jesus said, “Who was it that touched me?” When all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the crowds surround you and are pressing in on you!” 46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me, for I perceive that power has gone out from me.” 47 And when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed.

Interestingly, it isn’t said in Mark 5:29 that she felt in “her” body that she is healed. It’s only “the” body. But clearly we assume that it is her body.

Mark 5:29
... καὶ ἔγνω τῷ σώματι ὅτι ἴαται ἀπὸ τῆς μάστιγος
… and (she) knew (in) the body that (she was) heald from the affliction

But 1 Corinthians 12 could lead to an interesting interpretation.

1 Cor 12:12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit. 14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many ... 27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.

In Mark’s story the woman became a part of this great crowd who followed Jesus. Perhaps in Paul’s words we could say that she is now a member of Christ’s body. It could lead to the interpretation that in Mark 5:29 she felt not in “her” body, but as a member in Christ’s body that she is healed.

But it could be that Mark wished to say both. (Matthew and Luke omitted the body.)
This is really good. I like it.