AI and the Vatican Archive

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: AI and the Vatican Archive

Post by Secret Alias »

I think there is a fragment of Agrippa's work against Basilides in the British Library. It's never been translated. I saw it referenced or itemized on a list of untranslated fragments at Roger's site. Ben, if you're interested why not tackle it?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:22 am I think there is a fragment of Agrippa's work against Basilides in the British Library. It's never been translated. I saw it referenced or itemized on a list of untranslated fragments at Roger's site. Ben, if you're interested why not tackle it?
Roger complains that it is not online, so I would have no access to it. I live nowhere near the UK.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I could get it. I am always bumping into Trobisch. The most recent time was when I took my son to Oklahoma City in April. I will ask him.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Sent him the email
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

If you can get it for me, I promise to look it over. No promises as to what happens after that (some of which would depend on the handwriting, since I am not exactly an expert in that, and most of what I have translated in the past has come from a printed text).
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I will let you know
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Thanks.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am
Jax wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:43 am
Charles Wilson wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:01 am So you go to the end of the 53 miles, go through the secret door, get to the vault, get the combination, open the vault and someone sez, "Yeah, we had the original Mark held here but it was destroyed about 800 years ago. Sorry...Would you like to buy an 8 X 10 glossy photo of our current Marxist Pope instead?"

Wake me up when the Original Mark gets brought out for inspection.
Screw original Mark. Bring out original Paul, or at least the letters that Marcion had, and his Gospel.

And Papias. And Justus of Tiberias. And the histories of Claudius.

And the missing sections of Tacitus.
And Hegesippus. And Aristion. And Basilides.
Totally! :cheers:
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Pace Dan Brown, the “secret” in the Vatican Secret Archives’ name doesn’t refer to anything clandestine or conspiratorial. It merely means that the archives are the personal property of the pope; “private archives” would probably be a better translation of the original name, Archivum Secretum.
This reminds me of Scott Brown's discussion of the meaning of μυστήριον in the Letter to Theodore (of course involving different languages)