A sad notice

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

A sad notice

Post by Giuseppe »

from Facebook page of Robert M. Price :
I have the sad duty to report the passing of Dr. Hermann Detering, whom I regard as the greatest NT scholar of our time. He died on October 18, 2018. I am hearing of this only now. He really led the revival of the Dutch Radical Criticism. With him and Darrell Doughty both gone, am I the only one left?

Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Roger Viklund

Re: A sad notice

Post by Roger Viklund »

Sad!
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

No words. It is a great loss for the world.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Can anyone recommend favorite or especially relevant publications by Dr. Detering?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Irish1975 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:44 am Can anyone recommend favorite or especially relevant publications by Dr. Detering?
I have only read this his work translated in English. Enough to lament my ability to read books only written in English or French language, but not in German.

Stuart wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:32 am No words. It is a great loss for the world.
Stuart, when do you publish the your translation of the last Detering's book about Joshua and the baptism?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Irish1975 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:44 am Can anyone recommend favorite or especially relevant publications by Dr. Detering?
http://radikalkritik.de/sample-page/art ... in-english

'The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles' by Hermann Detering (1996)

Rene Salm has a series of blog posts about or reproducing aspects of Detering's work or commentaries. I don't know if this is all of it -

“The Gnostic Meaning of the Exodus and the Beginning of the Joshua/Jesus Cult” (2018) (in 38 parts)

I'm not sure where this fits - H. Detering, “The Gnostic Meaning of the Exodus” (also spread over several webpages)

There is also via Salm's site this - http://www.mythicistpapers.com/tag/h-detering/

eta: - http://hermann-detering.de/
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

A great loss. I can't count how many times I've read and/or skimmed through "The Fabricated Paul".
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

His last posts about whether he actually believed in God, about the nature of the universe and an answer to the theodicy question look, in hindsight, a bit foreshadowing.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Does anyone have contact details for Herman Detering's legacy, books and websites? I have made translations of his books that are not commercially published in English and would like to see if I have permissions to make them public.
Chrissy Hansen

Post by Chrissy Hansen »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:09 am Does anyone have contact details for Herman Detering's legacy, books and websites? I have made translations of his books that are not commercially published in English and would like to see if I have permissions to make them public.
You should reach out to Rene Salm. He was close with Detering and did translation work on Detering's writings himself. Might be worth asking him.