Why "the 15° year under Tiberius"? Because the 15 of Tybi

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Why "the 15° year under Tiberius"? Because the 15 of Tybi

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 am I have found a curious quote from Abakuk 3:11:

Sun and moon stood still in the heavens at the glint of your flying arrows, at the lightning of your flashing spear.

The famous miracle of the biblical Joshua regared the sun and the moon delaying themselves, a miracle of judgment on his enemies.
This is the occasion for another one of those Joshua/Jesus overlaps I have mentioned before, too:

Jerome, commentary on Habakkuk, volume 2: The sixth column [of Origen's Hexapla], publishing the sacrament/secret most clearly, thus translates from the Hebrew: You went forth so as to save Your people through Jesus Your Christ, which in the Greek is rendered, .... / Sexta editio prodens manifestissime sacramentum, ita vertit ex Hebraeo: Egressus es, ut salvares populum tuum per Iesum Christum tuum, quod Graece dicitur, ἐξῆλθες τοῦ σῶσαι τὸν λαόν σου διὰ Ἰησοῦν τὸν Χριστόν σου.

Habakkuk 3.11-13: 11 Sun and moon stood in their places; they went away at the light of Your arrows, at the radiance of Your gleaming spear. 12 In indignation You marched through the earth; in anger You trampled the nations.13 You went forth for the salvation of Your people [εἰς σωτηρίαν λαοῦ σου], for the salvation of Your anointed ones [τοῦ σῶσαι τοὺς χριστούς σου; some manuscripts have the singular instead]. You struck the head of the house of the evil to lay him open from thigh to neck.

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 am I have found a curious quote from Abakuk 3:11:

Sun and moon stood still in the heavens at the glint of your flying arrows, at the lightning of your flashing spear.

The famous miracle of the biblical Joshua regared the sun and the moon delaying themselves, a miracle of judgment on his enemies.

And the 15°of Tybi was the day of full moon (=light conquering darkness == final judgment).
This could be referring to an eclipse.

The eclipses that for sure had an impact on Jews and Christians occurred in 59 ad, 71 ad, and 118 ad.

Out of curiosity I've looked up various eclipses that that occurred in January. So far nothing relevant has come up but I'll keep looking.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

An eclipse explains why in all of the resurrection accounts a stone is placed over the doorway to Jesus's tomb, and rolls away on the day of his resurrection. The stone is the moon, and the dawn/morning is the Logos resurrected.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Given the Turmel's reconstruction of the original incipit of the Fourth Gospel:

God is light, (1:4)

And the light shines in the darkness, (1:5a)

and the darkness has not overcome it. (1:5b)

Yet to all who did receive him, (1:12a)

he gave the right to become children of God. (1:12b)

...the contrast light/darkness appears evident in a day of full moon (the reason of the importance of 15° Tybi).

It cannot be a coincidence that well two Gospels start with the implicit reference to conflict: light versus darkness:

• In the 15° year of Tiberius...

• John himself was not the light

(John 1:8)