Dirk Gentile's Wholy(ish)tic Manuscript Detective Agency ("First Century Mark")

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Never Put The Key Piece Of Evidence In The Hands Of The Accused

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMO3YNoNyTY

JW:

A scandal in Oxford: the curious case of the stolen gospel
To visit Dr Dirk Obbink at Christ Church college, Oxford, you must first be ushered by a bowler-hatted porter into the stately Tom Quad, built by Cardinal Wolsey before his spectacular downfall in 1529. Turn sharp right, climb a flight of stairs, and there, behind a door on which is pinned a notice advertising a 2007 college arts festival, you will find Obbink’s rooms. Be warned: you may knock on the door in vain. Since October, he has been suspended from duties following the biggest scandal that has ever hit, and is ever likely to hit, the University of Oxford’s classics department...
Obbink always denied that he had been trying to sell Oxyrhynchus items, as a later EES statement made clear. Nevertheless, an official of the society was sufficiently suspicious that he might have been at least trying to sell the Mark fragment that he decided to try to smoke him out – by instructing him, in spring 2016, to publish the manuscript in the next volume, number 83, of the Oxyrhynchus Papyrus Series. That would get the fragment out in the public sphere. It would also mean it would have to be physically returned to the Sackler classics library so that the editing could be checked by colleagues. In short, if Obbink were indeed trying to sell it, this move would stop him. Or so the EES official thought.
JW:
I still find it strange/bizarre/macabre that EES would insist that Obbink have possession of FCM after suspecting him of stealing it. And even though Obthink is no longer to be found at Oxford might his research assistants, (or at least their corpus) still be buried somewhere there? Who is doing this investigation, the Tombstone Coptics?:

The Case of The Missing Fragment
(From The Memoirs of the Evangelicals)

Ah, I remember it well. My most difficult case. It was third watch and Mrs. Carroll was still puttering around in the library while I was busy playing Mumblypeg with the cat. Phtingg. Meow! Oops, sorry cat. Two out of three? When someone posted on my blog. Hello, yes I am. I see. My laundry was ready.

Joseph

Skeptical Textual Criticism
JoeWallack

GoodNewsFellas

Post by JoeWallack »

Love One Another (for the money)

JW:
It should come as no surprise that it looks like DOa was part of a larger operation.

As a religious non-profit it doesn't have higher standards, it has lower standards, because it's not subject to proper standards (or taxes).

Joseph

JoeWallack

Jairus Gleason & Art Carney

Post by JoeWallack »

Livin La Cosa Local

JW:
Lot of relatively recent information here:

ARCA - Association For Research Into Crimes Against Art

Christ Church loans and other Dirk Obbink answered and unanswered questions.

"One also has to wonder what the impact will be, if any, of Obbink's legal entanglements on the publicly funded research grant he obtained through the UK's Research and Innovation (UKRI) on Living Virtually: Creating and Interfacing Digital Surrogates of Textual Data Embedded (Hidden) in Cultural Heritage Artefacts. Funded from May 2019 through April 2022 for £845,579 Dr. Obbink is listed as the project's Principal Investigator."

It would appear that the scope of the revelation of Obbink's activities is increasing faster than the Trump Virus. Sad. Terrible. Paleograthetic.

Joseph

JoeWallack

The Deal of the First Century

Post by JoeWallack »

Scandal

Scandal, it's a scandal.
all the world's gonna know.
Scandal, it's a scandal.
they're gonna turn The Faith into a Freak Show.
Ehrman's on a cheap speaking date,
Carroll's doing promo.
Wallace says you cheapskate,
Carlson says you homo.

Hobby Lobby Sues Oxford Professor for $7 Million Over Stolen Papyrus the Company Purchased for Its Bible Museum
Hobby Lobby, a Christian-owned arts and crafts chain known for winning a landmark Supreme Court case over the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate, is back in federal court, filing a lawsuit to recoup more than $7 million from an Oxford professor who allegedly sold the retail craft chain stolen artifacts for its planned Museum of the Bible in Washington, D.C.

According to the suit, filed Wednesday in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, associate professor of papyrology and Greek literature Dr. Dirk Obbink fraudulently sold Hobby Lobby ancient papyri fragments that turned out to be stolen from the Egyptian Exploration Society (EES). The allegedly stolen papyri fragments were purchased in seven private sale agreements between 2010 and 2013.

The 64-year-old MacArthur grant winner was arrested last year for the alleged theft of up to 120 pieces of ancient papyrus from the Sackler Classics Library in Oxford.
So Obbink went surrounding Arab countries on their Jewish populations (Obbink claimed he told them the Lord had need of their fragments (but neglected to tell them that when he said "lord" he meant himself)) on the Sackler Classics Library. You can't make up with these Shiites.

Sometimes I try to imagine that I am the child of Petyr Baelish and Columbo and imagine the worst possible case scenario.

Max Bialystock: Imagine away.
  • 1) Greenback Enterprises purchases religious collectible from Professor Evil for ...one million dollars.

2) Only Professor Evil knows he does not own this religious collectible.

3) The purchase agreement says that this religious collectible will be delivered in the future (this helps 2) (a lot)).

4) Greenback Enterprises has religious collectible appraised for...ten million dollars, by...Professor Evil (who by an "Act of Provenance"
    just happens to be the world's leading appraiser of this type of religious collectible).

5) Greenback Enterprises donates this religious collectible to a non-profit controlled by...Greenback Enterprises and takes a Federal
    income tax deduction of ...ten million dollars.

6) Suppose, just suppose, Greenback Enterprises is a highly successful Enterprises and is in the top tax bracket at the time of ...forty percent (a fine Biblical number and clear sign of approval from above). The after tax cash benefit to Greenback Enterprises is four (again, that Biblical number) million dollars.

7) Further suppose that when the donation was made He Who Shall Not Be Named was President and controlled the IRS and it's more likely Jesus would actually return then this guy would interfere with a supporter's tax deduction.

8) Four (.never mind) years later that President goes where ever the hell Jesus has been for the last two thousand years and the IRS is once again free to be the IRS but now the Statute of Limitations has passed and as Richard Dreyfus said in the classic Moon Over Parador, "Ooh, too late".

Joseph

Figures Don't Lie But Liars Figure

Jew Did The Crime, You Read The Times