The Most Important New Testament Passage

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

The Most Important New Testament Passage

Post by robert j »

One of the most important passages in the entire New Testament is also one of the most widely misinterpreted. 1 Corinthians 15:3-9 is widely misinterpreted because the events do not represent post-resurrection visions or other encounters with the risen Christ --- and important because it reveals Paul's story of the very origin and initial spread of belief in his Jesus Christ.

Does the passage represent an accurate historical retelling of events? I suppose one could try to mount an argument for that; however, I think Paul fabricated this origin story that he told his congregation in Corinth, and likely told the same story to the Galatians and the Macedonians as well.

Paul wrote that he had already given this tradition to the congregation. Paul presented this as a reminder in the form of a brief, stylized and formulaic outline. I suspect Paul related these same events during his initial evangelizing visit with all his congregations in much greater detail. Beyond the scriptures, these events served as Paul's source of authority, of tradition, and as an anchor for his teachings to the perception of a wider spiritual movement. Paul introduced his passage with a claim that the information was, "what I also received”. 1 Corinthians 15:3-9 ---
”For I delivered to you first of all what I also received

That Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures
and that he was buried

And that he was raised on the third day according to the scriptures
and that he was seen by Cephas, then the twelve

Then he was seen by more than five hundred brothers at once
most of whom remain until now though some have fallen asleep

Then he was seen by James
then all the apostles

Last of all, as the ektroma
he was seen by me also ... because I persecuted the assembly of God"
The events do not represent post-resurrection sightings nor spiritual visions, but rather the passage describes Paul's story of the initial discovery of Jesus Christ in the Jewish scriptures and the chronological sequence in which the new discovery of the heavenly Christ spread (then, then, then, then, and last). These people saw the light, they gained knowledge and understanding of the long-secret mysteries of Christ, as revealed in the scriptures by means of creative and generative readings. The Greek ophthe (ὤφθη, aorist, indicative, passive), is commonly translated here as "appeared" or “seen”. But the translation as "appeared" contributes to the misunderstanding. The verb, similar to the English 'to see', was also used in the sense of being in the presence of a revelation of knowledge --- not necessarily a physical seeing, not necessarily a vision, but also to perceive, to come to understand, to see with the mind. An example of this use is found in Romans 15:21, and in Isaiah 52:15 (LXX) that is cited in that verse in Romans.

When Paul later encountered opposition, especially among the Galatians, he used and abused these named figures in support of his teachings and authority. But initially, by creating the perception of a wider spiritual movement in far-away Judea, these figures provided Paul with a necessary anchor for his teachings about a new and easy short-cut to full participation with the chosen people of the great and ancient God of Israel.

With the available evidence, fleshing-out the details is more than highly speculative. However, the following scenario is just provided as an example of the general nature of how such a story could have been told ---

Cephas was first to make the discovery in the scriptures --- a new twist on the primacy of Peter.

The appearances follow a logical pattern for the dissemination of a new idea. Cephas took his discovery to his community leadership group --- the twelve. These are not the twelve disciples of an earthly Jesus --- that concept had not yet been invented. The Community Rule document found among the Dead Sea Scrolls describes a leadership group of twelve --- a group entrusted to "preserve the faith". I'm not implying that Cephas belonged to the DSS community, but I believe that document provides adequate evidence for such a leadership structure among some Jewish sectarians of the time.

The twelve approved of the interpretations. So next, the concept was presented to the entire community --- the 500. The use of the round number 500 shouldn't be taken literally. For example, in first century CE esoteric Jewish mysticism as found in Yohanan ben Zakkai tradition, the distance from the earth to the firmament, as well as the distance between each of the layers of the heavens, is a journey of 500 years. (J. Neusner, First Century Judaism in Crisis, 1975, p.129). It just meant a large number, perhaps with mystical significance.

To James. Continuing in chronological sequence, after a community at-large found the concept compelling, they were ready for the big-time. Cephas and company took the idea to a James, a figure to whom Paul had assigned authority (Galatians 2:9 and 2:12). James evidently accepted the idea of the Christ, and in Paul’s scenario became a de facto leader of sorts.

Much tradition about James has come down to us. I suspect these later traditions of James were the result of legend-building starting from Paul's story.

To all the apostles. Again, Paul is not talking about companions of Jesus. At the time, the Greek word just meant someone sent on a mission. This represents Paul’s claim that certain believers were assigned the role of spreading the word. At the time Paul wrote to the Galatians, he implied they were a small group entirely engaged within the Jewish homelands (Gal. 2:9).

Then, last of all, Paul. Paul described himself as "the ektroma" because he “persecuted the assembly of God”. I think Paul self-identified with Miriam, the ektroma of Numbers chapter 12. Just Like Miriam who was ignorant and sinned before she was cleansed by the grace of God, Paul was ignorant and sinned because, he claimed, he persecuted the assemblies of God in Judea (Gal. 1:13-14 and 1:22-23) before receiving grace and a revelation from God (Gal. 1:15-16). See --- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2396

Paul claimed that it was God that revealed to him the Son (Gal 1:15-16). Yet in his letters, when Paul characterized the death and resurrection of his Jesus Christ, it was derived from the scriptures --- the redemption from the law by being hung on wood in Galatians 3:13 as derived from Deuteronomy 21:23 and 27:26, and having been delivered over for our trespasses and raised for our justification in Romans 4:25 as derived from Isaiah 53.

Paul was a self-appointed missionary. He brought his stories of a Jesus Christ deep into Gentile territory with his entrepreneurial evangelism, along with his tales of a spiritual movement in far-away Judea and his sack of scrolls.

robert j

Note: Edited on occasion to reflect evolution of my working premise.
Last edited by robert j on Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 am, edited 27 times in total.
DCHindley

Re: The Most Important New Testament Passage

Post by DCHindley »

In my humble opinion, it is 11:35: "Jesus wept" (ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς).

It is as if he was looking into the future and saw what kind of craziness his name has been put to.

DCH
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Interesting idea, Robert. I'd like to see a study of other Hellenistic texts in which "see" is used in such a manner.

The "more than five hundred brothers at once" seems like a poor fit. Unlike "the twelve", it doesn't sound like a set group, but rather an unexpected event that does fit better with a visionary experience.

It's probably irrelevant, but if we entertain the possibility that Caiaphas and Cephas were the same person, it is interesting that Caiaphas is the one in the Gospel of John who prophecies about how the death of one man will save Israel. (And what's more, Caiaphas isn't the priest who interrogates Jesus in that Gospel.)
Blood

Post by Blood »

robert j wrote:The most important passage in the entire New Testament is also the most widely misinterpreted. 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 is widely misinterpreted because the appearances do not represent post-resurrection encounters with the risen Christ --- and the most important because it reveals the very origin and initial spread of belief in the Christ.

Does the passage represent an accurate historical retelling? I believe it does, within reason. But at a minimum, it’s the story of origin Paul told his congregation in Corinth.

Paul's letter to the Galatians provides some background and helps to set the stage. Paul did not deny that he learned about the Christ from other men, he only said that the gospel he proclaimed was his own. (Galatians 1:11-12). By the time Paul wrote to the Galatians, his gospel had developed into his own complex spin on the significance of belief in the Christ spirit.

When Paul first heard about the newly revealed heavenly savior, he didn't like the idea. (Gal. 1:13-14). But Paul came to realize the potential for missionary ventures of his own with this new heavenly savior --- among the Gentiles. (Gal 1:15-16).

Paul went to Jerusalem to visit Cephas for fifteen days. (Greek historeo, a visit for the purpose of gaining information).
"Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to visit with Cephas, and I remained with him for fifteen days." (Gal 1:18).
I believe Paul learned from Cephas the passages in the Jewish scriptures that revealed the long-secret mystery of the Christ, as well as the story of how that knowledge was discovered and spread --- and this is what Paul presented as a short and stylized outline in 1 Corinthians 15:3-8.

Paul says that he had already given this tradition to the congregation. I suspect Paul related these same events during his initial evangelizing visit with all his congregations, and likely in much greater detail. Beyond the scriptures, these events likely served as Paul's source of authority, of tradition, an anchor for his teachings to a wider spiritual awakening. Paul introduced his passage as, "what I also received”. 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 ---
"For I delivered to you first of all what I also received

That Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures
and that he was buried

And that he is risen on the third day according to the scriptures
and that he was seen by Cephas, then the twelve

Then he was seen by more than five hundred brothers at once
most of whom remain until now though some are fallen asleep

Then he was seen by James
then all the apostles

Last of all as of a birth untimely
he was seen by me also"
The appearances do not represent post-resurrection sightings nor spiritual visions, but rather the passage describes the initial discovery of the Christ in the Jewish scriptures and the chronological sequence in which the new discovery of the heavenly Christ spread (then, then, then, then, and last). These appearances represent gaining knowledge and understanding of the mysteries of the Christ, as revealed in the scriptures through fresh, allegorical interpretations. The Greek ophthe (passive aorist of horao), commonly translated as "appeared" or “seen”, was also used in the sense of being in the presence of a revelation --- not necessarily a physical seeing, not necessarily a vision, but also to perceive, to see with the mind.

Peter (Cephas) was first to make the discovery in the scriptures --- a new twist on the primacy of Peter.

The appearances follow a logical pattern for the dissemination of a new idea. Peter took his discovery to his community leadership group --- the twelve. These are not the twelve disciples of an earthly Jesus --- that concept had not yet been invented. The Community Rule document found among the Dead Sea Scrolls describes a leadership group of twelve --- a group entrusted to protect the faith. I'm not implying that Peter belonged to the DSS community, but I believe that document provides adequate evidence for such a leadership group among some Jewish sectarians of the time.

The twelve approved of the interpretations. So next, the concept was presented to the entire community --- the 500. The use of the round number 500 shouldn't be taken literally. For example, in first century CE esoteric Jewish mysticism in Yohanan ben Zakkai tradition, the distance from the earth to the firmament, as well as the distance between each of the layers of the heavens, is a journey of 500 years. (J. Neusner, First Century Judaism in Crisis, 1975, p.129). It just meant a large number, perhaps with mystical significance.

To James. Continuing in chronological sequence, after a community at-large found the concept compelling, they were ready for the big-time. Peter and company took the idea to a James. Much tradition about James has survived --- he was likely headquartered in Jerusalem, perhaps even of a priestly family, and he was well-respected by many for his learning, wisdom, and devout nature. James evidently accepted the idea of the Christ, and became de facto leader due to his position and reputation. (Gal 2:9).

To all the apostles. Again, Paul is not talking about companions of Jesus. At the time, the Greek word just meant someone sent on a mission. This is a reference to certain believers assigned the role of spreading the word. At the time Paul heard the story, they were probably a small group entirely engaged within the Jewish homelands.

Then Paul. He was a late-comer to the party. A self-appointed apostle and perhaps the first to go "out into the world” as he took his entrepreneurial evangelism deep into Gentile territory. A wild card?

robert j.

Nice rationalizations all around.

The zombie guy appeared, in descending order, to:

- Cephas
- The Twelve
- 500 brethren
- James
- The Apostles
- Paul

This is the only place where "the twelve" and "the apostles" are separate groups, and it's also the only place where "Cephas" and "James" are apparently not part of either group. Why isn't Peter called "Cephas" in the gospels and Acts? Why don't the gospels and Acts mention the 500 brethren? "The twelve" implies that Judas Iscariot is still with the group. Why then do the gospels have him commit suicide before the zombie guy returns? Why doesn't the Pauline writer know this? Why don't the gospels mention zombie guy appearing to Paul? Did that not make it into oral tradition?
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Paul didn't say the most important words in the NT. Paul is only a commentator interpreting a religious leader.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Tenorikuma wrote,
The "more than five hundred brothers at once" seems like a poor fit. Unlike "the twelve", it doesn't sound like a set group, but rather an unexpected event that does fit better with a visionary experience.

I believe I see your point, with the “at once” perhaps not a realistic way to describe a large group of people, a community, being shown how the Christ is revealed in the scriptures. But please keep in mind the difficulty of relating so many events occurring over an extended period of time in such a short and stylized outline --- while at the same time avoiding the whole thing from sounding too mundane.

What are other options for the 500? Could it have been a mass hallucination, with a large group of people having the same vision at the same time? Or could it have been a supernatural event like the one on the day of Pentecost described in chapter 2 of Acts? I find the other options less satisfying than the solution I proposed.

robert j.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Forget about all this: 1 Cor 15:3-11 is an interpolation,
http://historical-jesus.sosblogs.com/Hi ... b1-p11.htm
Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
robert j

Post by robert j »

Bernard Muller wrote,
Forget about all this: 1 Cor 15:3-11 is an interpolation

Hi Bernard,

Sure, why not just dismiss a popular and troublesome passage as an interpolation.

I'll address a few of your points from the piece you provided in the link.

Mark's use of "after three days" instead of "on the third day" --- I see this as much ado about nothing. Mark often changed-up his source material to suit his own purpose.

The “appearances” and groups do not correlate with any of the Gospels. If 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 is a 2nd century interpolation, it would seem to me the interpolator would have composed a set of appearances and groups that would reconcile with at least one of the Gospel versions.

As for Paul admitting that he was the least of the apostles following this passage --- you cite 2 Corinthians 11:5, "For I consider that I am not at all inferior to the most eminent apostles", and you comment --- “totally the opposite of 1 Cor 15:9!”. At this later date, Paul faced stiff competition from these men that the Corinthians apparently like better than Paul --- the so-called super-apostles. It's no surprise at all that Paul would adopt such an attitude towards these other competitors --- and there is no convincing evidence to connect these competitors to the groups described in 1 Corinthians 15:3-8.

I have never been satisfied by the explanation of some mythicists that the appearances in this passage were visions or hallucinations. I believe my proposal provides a better solution --- and it resolves the apparent anomalies among the groups.

I'm just surprised that no one has proposed such a solution before. If someone has, I'm not aware of it.

robert j.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to robert j.
Mark's use of "after three days" instead of "on the third day" --- I see this as much ado about nothing. Mark often changed-up his source material to suit his own purpose.
"on the third day" makes more sense for a death lasting 40 hours max than "after three days".
Subsequent gospel authors seem to have understood the problem because "Matthew" tried to harmonize the two, and "Luke" kept only "on the third day".
The “appearances” and groups do not correlate with any of the Gospels. If 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 is a 2nd century interpolation, it would seem to me the interpolator would have composed a set of appearances and groups that would reconcile with at least one of the Gospel versions.
First, I think the interpolation was made in late 1st century, after gLuke (and possibly 'Acts") was known by the interpolator.
I also think the two bodily reappearances of Jesus in gMatthew were added on in early 2nd century by two different copyists at different times (because of discontinuities).
Anyway you look, anyway you locate them in time, the authors of these bodily reappearances did not necessarily follow on what was written earlier on the matter.
Furthermore, the gospels deal with the earliest alleged reappearances, so that would explain they do not mention Jesus appearing to the 500 (but 'Acts' would allow for that), James, the apostles (including non-eyewitnesses of Jesus such as Paul) and Paul (however the resurrected Jesus being "seen" by Paul is stated in 1 Cor 9:1).
As for Paul admitting that he was the least of the apostles following this passage --- you cite 2 Corinthians 11:5, "For I consider that I am not at all inferior to the most eminent apostles", and you comment --- “totally the opposite of 1 Cor 15:9!”. At this later date, Paul faced stiff competition from these men that the Corinthians apparently like better than Paul --- the so-called super-apostles. It's no surprise at all that Paul would adopt such an attitude towards these other competitors --- and there is no convincing evidence to connect these competitors to the groups described in 1 Corinthians 15:3-8.
Paul faced a stiff competition prior to the writing of 2 Corinthians and had to defend his credentials (1 Cor 1:12, 9:1-27).
1 Cor 9:1-3 "Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord?
If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
This is my defense to those who would examine me."

That does not fit 1 Cor 15:9 "For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God."

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
robert j

Post by robert j »

Hi Bernard,

Bernard Muller wrote,
Paul faced a stiff competition prior to the writing of 2 Corinthians and had to defend his credentials (1 Cor 1:12, 9:1-27).

1 Cor 9:1-3 "Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord?
If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
This is my defense to those who would examine me."

That does not fit 1 Cor 15:9 "For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God."

The divisions Paul faced in 1 Corinthians were very different from the threat to his authority from the “super-apostles” addressed in the later 2 Corinthians. In the passage you list (1 Cor 1:12), Paul faced divisions within his congregation --- here's how I see that stuation. Some felt they didn't really need any apostles because they already had the spirit of Christ. Others seemed to find their role model in Cephas, in the founder, in the first to discover the Christ spirit as I describe in my opening post. But note, there is no evidence that Cephas had ever visited the congregation in Corinth --- they knew about Cephas because of what Paul had told them. Others in Paul's congregation favored Paul's co-worker Apollos, and Paul worked hard to subtly discredit Apollos (chapter 3). But when Paul wrote this first letter to the Corinthians, Apollos had already left and was apparently in Ephesus (1 Cor 16:12).

In the passage you cite (1 Cor 9:1-3), Paul is still feigning humility about his role, claiming only that he is an apostle, and at that, if only to the Corinthians.

Bernard Muller wrote,
First, I think the interpolation was made in late 1st century, after gLuke (and possibly 'Acts") was known by the interpolator.

If you entertain the distinct possibility that Acts could be a late first-century document, then many of our basic assumptions about early belief in the Christ are very far apart indeed.

As for the rest of the arguments you present, I'm perfectly happy to leave each interested reader to come to their own conclusions based on the arguments already on the table and/or based on their own knowledge, studies and assumptions.

robert j.