Dialogue with Trypho, chapter 78

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: Dialogue with Trypho, chapter 78

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:26 am Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho Chapter 78 / LXXVIII (all dialogue in this chapter is attributed to Justin).

Now this king Herod, at the time when the Magi came to him from Arabia, and said they knew from a star which appeared in the heavens that a King had been born in your country, and that they had come to worship Him, learned from the elders of your people that it was thus written regarding Bethlehem in the prophet: ‘And thou, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, art by no means least among the princes of Judah; for out of thee shall go forth the leader who shall feed my people’ [Micah 5.2].

Accordingly the Magi from Arabia came to Bethlehem and worshipped the Child, and presented Him with gifts, gold and frankincense, and myrrh; but returned not to Herod, being warned in a revelation after worshipping the Child in Bethlehem. And Joseph, the spouse of Mary, who wished at first to put away his betrothed Mary, supposing her to be pregnant by intercourse with a man, i.e., from fornication, was commanded in a vision not to put away his wife; and the angel who appeared to him told him that what is in her womb is of the Holy Ghost. Then he was afraid, and did not put her away; but on the occasion of the first census which was taken in Judæa, under Cyrenius, he went up from Nazareth, where he lived, to Bethlehem, to which he belonged, to be enrolled; for his family was of the tribe of Judah, which then inhabited that region. Then along with Mary he is ordered to proceed into Egypt, and remain there with the Child until another revelation warn them to return into Judæa. But when the Child was born in Bethlehem, since Joseph could not find a lodging in that village, he took up his quarters in a certain cave near the village; and while they were there Mary brought forth the Christ and placed Him in a manger, and here the Magi who came from Arabia found Him.

Is it just me, or do we have a clear interpolation here, suddenly in present tense?
Apart from that, the Child hasn't even been born...
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

It is impossible that Matthew was written in Hebrew because the entire concept of "fulfilling the prophecy of" the virgin birth is based on the LXX mistranslating for parthenos:
I didn't mean Matthew was in Hebrew
Only that the Hebrew/Aramaic word for Cave sounds like Mariam/Mary
This relates to the cave source not Matthew

What i'm imagining is some Aramaic source which plays on Mary's name and Cave, word-play. Which the OT does a lot
There's zero proof for this, but i thought it was worth mentioning that Mary's name and Cave are very similar in sound
Heck, maybe it's worth translating the cave material back into Aramaic to see if there's a hymnic pattern (i mean the protoevangelion)
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

mlinssen wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55 am
Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho Chapter 78 / LXXVIII (all dialogue in this chapter is attributed to Justin).

Accordingly the Magi from Arabia came to Bethlehem and worshipped the Child, and presented Him with gifts, gold and frankincense, and myrrh; but returned not to Herod, being warned in a revelation after worshipping the Child in Bethlehem. And Joseph, the spouse of Mary, who wished at first to put away his betrothed Mary, supposing her to be pregnant by intercourse with a man, i.e., from fornication, was commanded in a vision not to put away his wife; and the angel who appeared to him told him that what is in her womb is of the Holy Ghost. Then he was afraid, and did not put her away; but on the occasion of the first census which was taken in Judæa, under Cyrenius, he went up from Nazareth, where he lived, to Bethlehem, to which he belonged, to be enrolled; for his family was of the tribe of Judah, which then inhabited that region. Then along with Mary he is ordered to proceed into Egypt, and remain there with the Child until another revelation warn them to return into Judæa. But when the Child was born in Bethlehem, since Joseph could not find a lodging in that village, he took up his quarters in a certain cave near the village; and while they were there Mary brought forth the Christ and placed Him in a manger, and here the Magi who came from Arabia found Him.

Is it just me, or do we have a clear interpolation here, suddenly in present tense?
Apart from that, the Child hasn't even been born...
Good points (dunno about interpolation nb. Justin has the magi appearing before the birth too; as well as returning and avoiding Herod)

Interestingly, Origen appears to have written in present tense about some things too (and future tense - "to have") -

Origen, Against Celsus 1.51 in part -

With respect to the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, if anyone desires, after the prophecy of Micah and after 'the history' recorded in the Gospels [supposedly] by the disciples of Jesus, to have additional evidence from other sources, let him know that, in conformity with the narrative in the Gospel regarding His birth, there is shown at Bethlehem the cave where He was born and the manger in the cave where He was wrapped in swaddling clothes. And this sight is greatly talked of in surrounding places, even among the enemies of the faith, it being said that in this cave was born that Jesus who is worshiped and reverenced by the Christians. Moreover, I am of opinion that, before the advent of Christ, the chief priests and scribes of the people, on account of the distinctness and clearness of this prophecy, taught that the Christ was to be born in Bethlehem. And this opinion had prevailed also extensively among the Jews, for which reason it is related that Herod, on inquiring at the chief priests and scribes of the people, heard from them that the Christ was to be born in Bethlehem of Judea, whence David was. It is stated also in the Gospel according to John that the Jews declared that the Christ was to be born in Bethlehem, whence David was.

MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

davidmartin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 am
i noticed the Hebrew word for 'cave' sounds a bit like Miriam / Mary - mearah מְעָרָה (I think the Aramaic is similar couldn't find it though)
what i'd like to suggest isn't that Mary was named as a cave literally
instead it would make a great play on words in any Jewish language version
davidmartin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:05 pm
... the Hebrew/Aramaic word for Cave sounds like Mariam/Mary

What I'm imagining is some Aramaic source which plays on Mary's name and Cave, word-play. Which the OT does a lot
There's zero proof for this, but i thought it was worth mentioning that Mary's name and Cave are very similar in sound
Heck, maybe it's worth translating the cave material back into Aramaic to see if there's a hymnic pattern (i mean the protoevangelion)
It's possible there was a play on words or, more intently, meaning implied (there are a few instances where things like this would seem to work better in Aramaic and/or Hebrew1).

By 'meaning implied' I mean through something like anthropomorphism or even 'reverse anthropomorphism' (is there a term for this?) via a play on *cave* and *womb (or birth canal, vagina)*.

1 There is talk of trilingualism -

Hebrew ceased to be an everyday spoken language somewhere between 200 and 400 CE, declining in the aftermath of the Bar Kokhba revolt. Aramaic and, to a lesser extent, Greek were already in use as international languages, especially among elites and immigrants ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_language

Classical Hebrew

Early post-Biblical Hebrew
  • Mishnaic Hebrew from the 1st to the 3rd or 4th century CE, corresponding to the Roman Period after the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem and represented by the bulk of the Mishnah and Tosefta within the Talmud and by the Dead Sea Scrolls, notably the Bar Kokhba letters and the Copper Scroll. Also called Tannaitic Hebrew or Early Rabbinic Hebrew.
    Mishnaic Hebrew is a form of the Hebrew language that is found in the Talmud. The forms of the Hebrew in the Talmud can be divided into Classical Hebrew for direct quotations from the Hebrew Bible, and Mishnaic Hebrew can be further sub-divided into Mishnaic Hebrew proper (also called Tannaitic Hebrew, Early Rabbinic Hebrew, or Mishnaic Hebrew I), which was a spoken language, and Amoraic Hebrew (also called Late Rabbinic Hebrew or Mishnaic Hebrew II), which was a literary language only. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mishnaic_Hebrew

Displacement by Aramaic

The exact roles of Aramaic and Hebrew remain hotly debated. A trilingual scenario has been proposed for the land of Israel. Hebrew functioned as the local mother tongue with powerful ties to Israel's history, origins and golden age and as the language of Israel's religion; Aramaic functioned as the international language with the rest of the Middle East; and eventually Greek functioned as another international language with the eastern areas of the Roman Empire.[citation needed] William Schniedewind argues that after waning in the Persian Period, the religious importance of Hebrew grew in the Hellenistic and Roman periods, and cites epigraphical evidence that Hebrew survived as a vernacular language – though both its grammar and its writing system had been substantially influenced by Aramaic. According to another summary, Greek was the language of government, Hebrew the language of prayer, study and religious texts, and Aramaic was the language of legal contracts and trade.

There was also a geographic pattern: according to Spolsky, by the beginning of the Common Era, "Judeo-Aramaic was mainly used in Galilee in the north, Greek was concentrated in the former colonies and around governmental centers, and Hebrew monolingualism continued mainly in the southern villages of Judea." In other words, "in terms of dialect geography, at the time of the tannaim Palestine could be divided into the Aramaic-speaking regions of Galilee and Samaria and a smaller area, Judaea, in which Rabbinic Hebrew was used among the descendants of returning exiles." In addition, it has been surmised that Koine Greek was the primary vehicle of communication in coastal cities and among the upper class of Jerusalem, while Aramaic was prevalent in the lower class of Jerusalem, but not in the surrounding countryside. After the suppression of the Bar Kokhba revolt in the 2nd century CE, Judaeans were forced to disperse. Many relocated to Galilee, so most remaining native speakers of Hebrew at that last stage would have been found in the north.

The Christian New Testament contains some Semitic place names and quotes. The language of such Semitic glosses (and in general the language spoken by Jews in scenes from the New Testament) is often referred to as "Hebrew" in the text, although this term is often re-interpreted as referring to Aramaic instead and is rendered accordingly in recent translations. Nonetheless, these glosses can be interpreted as Hebrew as well. It has been argued that Hebrew, rather than Aramaic or Koine Greek, lay behind the composition of the Gospel of Matthew. (See the Hebrew Gospel hypothesis or Language of Jesus for more details on Hebrew and Aramaic in the gospels.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_la ... by_Aramaic
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

The history of the Hebrew language is usually divided into four major periods: [1] Biblical, or Classical, Hebrew, until about the 3rd century BC, in which most of the Old Testament is written; [2] Mishnaic, or Rabbinic, Hebrew, the language of the Mishna (a collection of Jewish traditions), written about AD 200 (this form of Hebrew was never used among the people as a spoken language); [3] Medieval Hebrew, from about the 6th to the 13th century AD, when many words were borrowed from Greek, Spanish, Arabic, and other languages; and [4] Modern Hebrew, the language of Israel in modern times.

Scholars generally agree that the oldest form of Hebrew is that of some of the Old Testament poems, especially the “Song of Deborah” in chapter 5 of Judges. The sources of borrowed words that first appeared during this period include the other Canaanite languages, as well as Akkadian. Hebrew also contains a small number of Sumerian words borrowed from an Akkadian source. Few traces of dialects exist in Biblical Hebrew, but scholars believe this to be the result of Masoretic editing of the text. In addition to the Old Testament, a small number of inscriptions in Hebrew of the biblical period are extant; the earliest of these is a short inscription in Phoenician characters dating from the 9th century BC.

During the early Mishnaic period, some of the guttural consonants of Biblical Hebrew were combined or confused with one another, and many nouns were borrowed from Aramaic. Hebrew also borrowed a number of Greek, Latin, and Persian words.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hebrew-language
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

It's possible there was a play on words or, more intently, meaning implied (there are a few instances where things like this would seem to work better in Aramaic and/or Hebrew1).

By 'meaning implied' I mean through something like anthropomorphism or even 'reverse anthropomorphism' (is there a term for this?) via a play on *cave* and *womb (or birth canal, vagina)*
That wasn't quite what i was thinking, still..
it's possible to imagine an Aramaic treatise that weaved the name of Mary around a birth in a cave and implying her womb means the cave
if Jesus is God born in the flesh there's not really any other option! It's interesting to speculate this idea might have been around pretty early but at the same time really hard not to see it as just a symbol for spiritual rebirth like John's gospel seems to say.

I still see a connection in Acts with the cave (tomb) and birth of Moses who is made to resemble Jesus quite a bit.. except there's no virgin birth here and the similarities break down unless Jesus was adopted.

"Jacob went down into Egypt, and he died, himself and our fathers, and they were brought back to Shechem, and laid in the tomb that Abraham bought ..At that time Moses was born, and was exceedingly handsome. He was nourished three months in his father's house. When he was thrown out, Pharaoh's daughter took him up, and reared him as her own son. Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians. He was mighty in his words and works. But when he was forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brothers, the children of Israel"
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

davidmartin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:47 pm That wasn't quite what i was thinking
Sure, and that proposition is a bit far-fetched, but some of their thinking was [also] fairly eccentric (and esoteric).

I'm intrigued that Justin felt the need to start Dialogue 70 with reference to Mithras, though -

Dialogue with Trypho 70 (all dialogue attributed to Justin)

"And when those who record the mysteries of Mithras say that he was begotten of a rock, and call the place where those who believe in him are initiated [in?] a cave, do I not perceive here that the utterance of Daniel, that a stone without hands was cut out of a great mountain, has been imitated by them, and that they have attempted likewise to imitate the whole of Isaiah’s [2210] words? [2211] For they [ie. the devils] contrived that the words of righteousness be quoted also by them [ie. the priests of Mithras]. But I must repeat to you the words of Isaiah referred to, in order that from them you may know that these things are so [He then cites Isaiah 33:13-19 which includes, 'The man who walks in righteousness, speaks in the right way, hates sin and unrighteousness ... he shall dwell in the lofty cave of the strong rock.'] "

2210: The text here has ταῦτα ποιῆσαι ὁμοίως. Maranus suggests ᾽Ησαίου for ποιῆσαι; and so we have translated.

2211: Justin says that the priests of Mithras imitated all the words of Isaiah about to be quoted; and to prove it, is content with a single example, namely, the precepts of righteousness, which they were wont to relate to him, as in these words of Isaiah: “He who walks in righteousness,” etc. Justin omitted many other passages, as easy and obvious. For since Mithras is the same as fire, it manifestly answers to the fire of which Isaiah speaks. And since Justin reminded them who are initiated, that they are said to be initiated by Mithras himself, it was not necessary to remind them that the words of Isaiah are imitated in this: “You shall see the King with glory.” Bread and water are referred to by Isaiah: so also in these mysteries of Mithras, Justin testifies that bread and a cup of water are placed before them (Apol. i.).—Maranus.

MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:49 am Doesn't Justin also say that Mithras is like Jesus? Wasn't he born from a cave too?
Secret Alias wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:51 am Yes there are reports of Mithras being born from a cave https://www.jstor.org/stable/4427315?seq=1 That's why the gospel story was likely changed. https://books.google.com/books?id=25_SO ... &q&f=false Too much like Mithras. Notice also the appearance of 'magi' at a cave of a God whose chief disciple is 'the Rock.' Too much.

Before people jump all over the 'Christ is Mithras' idea. The birth narrative is later than the original gospel. Whoever was trying to introduce these myths did so AFTER earliest Christianity was established.1 Nevertheless it is a good argument that 'the historical Jesus' was developed through Mithras. Certainly. Notice also that Justin testifies that Perseus was born through a virgin, I believe (from memory). As the book I cite notes, there seems to be a relationship between Perseus and one strand of the Mithras tradition.
1 which myths? the cave? the rock? or the virgin birth? or two or all three?

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:08 am Many scholars have noted that this dating of Arabia belonging to Syrophoenicia is also found in Justin and demonstrates that his works were corrupted by a later edition (Irenaeus) c. 195 CE. In other words, Irenaeus was either introducing or strengthening an argument for the virgin birth by means of the prophesy from Isaiah.
What if Irenaeus felt Justin's works had to be corrupted?

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 am Let's think about this. Justin and the derived texts of Tertullian all use Isaiah to 'predict' the account of the virgin birth. There was an earlier version than appears in our canon where a 'cave' is specifically mentioned. Justin knew that account as did Celsus (who read Justin). But does the prophesy of Isaiah depend on the division of Syria? No. Justin, I think could have made the case that Isaiah predicted the magi would visit the cave with the 'spoils of Samaria.' What is added about the state of affairs in Syria c 195 CE is strangely added to clarify the situation to contemporary readers in Irenaeus's time. Do others agree?
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

This? -
the spoils of Samaria were the magi themselves. These having discovered Him and honoured Him with their gifts, and on beaded knee adored Him as their God and King, through the witness of the star which led their way and guided them, became the spoils of Samaria, that is to say, of idolatry, because, as it is easy enough to see, they believed in Christ. He designated idolatry under the name of Samaria, as that city was shameful for its idolatry [Tertullian Adv Iud 9 .12 KROYMANN Aem., CCL 2 (1954), (p.1368, l.88) BP1]
It's been said that "Justin thinks the “spoils of Samaria” denote 'spoils of Satan'; Tertullian thinks that they are 'spoils of Christ'," - That's quite a contrast: the spoils of Samaria being denoted as the spoils of Satan v the spoils of Christ.

Dial 22
And I will carry you away beyond Damascus, saith the Lord, whose name is the Almighty God. Woe to them that are at ease in Zion, and trust in the mountain of Samaria: those who are named among the chiefs have plucked away the first-fruits of the nations: the house of Israel have entered for themselves.

Dial 43
"Behold, the virgin shall conceive, and shall bear a son, and his name shall be called Immanuel. Butter and honey shall he eat, before he knows or prefers the evil, and chooses out the good; for before the child knows good or ill, he rejects evil by choosing out the good. For before the child knows how to call father or mother, he shall receive the power of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria in presence of the king of Assyria. And the land shall be forsaken, which thou shalt with difficulty endure in consequence of the presence of its two kings."

Dial 66 [same as for Dial 43]
"For before the child knows how to call father or mother, he shall receive the power of Damascus, and the spoil of Samaria, in presence of the king of Assyria. And the land shall be forsaken, which thou shalt with difficulty endure in consequence of the presence of its two kings."

Dial 77 [same as the previous two except now in past (or perhaps present) tense]
"But show me yourselves first of all how it is said of Hezekiah, that before he knew how to call father or mother, he received the power of Damascus and the spoils of Samaria in the presence of the king of Assyria. For it will not be conceded to you, as you wish to explain it, that Hezekiah waged war with the inhabitants of Damascus and Samaria in presence of the king of Assyria. 'For before the child knows how to call father or mother,' the prophetic word said, 'He shall take the power of Damascus and spoils of Samaria in presence of the king of Assyria.'

"For if the Spirit of prophecy had not made the statement with an addition, 'Before the child knows how to call father or mother, he shall take the power of Damascus and spoils of Samaria,' but had only said, 'And shall bear a son, and he shall take the power of Damascus and spoils of Samaria,' then you might say that God foretold that he would take these things, since He fore-knew it.

"But now the prophecy has stated it with this addition: 'Before the child knows how to call father or mother, he shall take the power of Damascus and spoils of Samaria.'

"And you cannot prove that such a thing ever happened to any one among the Jews. But we are able to prove that it happened in the case of our Christ. For at the time of His birth, Magi who came from Arabia worshipped Him, coming first to Herod, who then was sovereign in your land, and whom the Scripture calls king of Assyria on account of his ungodly and sinful character. For you know," continued I [Justin], "that the Holy Spirit oftentimes announces such events by parables and similitudes; just as He did towards all the people in Jerusalem, frequently saying to them, 'Thy father is an Amorite, and thy mother a Hittite."

Dial 78
"For that expression of Isaiah 'He shall take the power of Damascus and spoils of Samaria,' foretold that the power of the evil demon that dwelt in Damascus should be overcome by Christ as soon as He was born; and this is proved to have happened. For the Magi, who were held in bondage for the commission of all evil deeds through the power of that demon, by coming to worship Christ, shows that they have revolted from that dominion which held them captive; and this [dominion] the Scripture has showed us to reside in Damascus. Moreover, that sinful and unjust power is termed well in parable, Samaria. And none of you can deny that Damascus was, and is, in the region of Arabia, although now it belongs to what is called Syrophoenicia."

aha >>
Secret Alias wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am
Justin depends on the LXX which has 'power' of Damascus:

[Isaiah 8:1-4]
And the Lord said to me, Take to thyself a volume of a great new book, and write in it with a man's pen concerning the making a rapid plunder of spoils; for it is near at hand. 2 And make me witnesses of faithful men, Urias, and Zacharias the son of Barachias. 3 And I went in to the prophetess; and she conceived, and bore a son. And the Lord said to me, Call his name, Spoil quickly, plunder speedily. 4 For before the child shall know how to call his father or his mother, one shall take the power of Damascus and the spoils of Samaria before the king of the Assyrians.
The bit about Arabia comes from another prophesy:

"The kings of the Arabs and Saba shall bring Him gifts."

Again from the LXX - Ps. 72.10:

The kings of Tharsis, and the isles, shall bring presents: the kings of the Arabians and Saba shall offer gifts. And all kings shall worship him; all the Gentiles shall serve him.

MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Here's more on Revelation of the Magi from Brent Landau's book (I've previously mentioned it in a post in this thread).

Landau notes in the book (in the first sentence after the following subsection excerpt), the Revelation's "narrative complexity matches almost any early Christian writing." [p.12]

Landau, Brent, 2010, Revelation of the Magi, HarperOne.

THE STORY

The Revelation of the Magi, mostly narrated by the Magi in the first person, is a sweeping and imaginative work that begins in the Garden of Eden and ends with the Magi being baptized at the hands of the Apostle Thomas. These Magi are members of an ancient mystical order and reside in a semimythical land called Shir, located in the extreme east of the world, at the shore of the Great Ocean. The Revelation of the Magi says these individuals are called “Magi” in the language of their country because they pray in silence. The story implies that the name “Magi” is thus a play on the words silence and/or prayer, but that implication does not make sense in any of the most common languages spoken by early Christians. Despite this unsolved mystery, however, this description sharply distinguishes the Magi of this story from any of the most common ancient usages of the term magoi: these Magi are not magicians, astrologers, or even priests of the Iranian religion of Zoroastrianism.

These mystics, who live in a mysterious, far-off land, as the Revelation of the Magi depicts its Magi, are the descendants of Seth, the third son of Adam and Eve. Seth was believed by many early Jews and Christians to be extremely pious and virtuous, so it is very fitting for the Revelation of the Magi to trace the ancestry of the Magi back to such an illustrious founder. The Magi inherited from Seth a prophecy of supreme importance for the world: a star of indescribable brightness will someday appear, heralding the birth of God in human form. Seth himself had learned about this prophecy from his father, Adam, since the star originally had hovered over the Tree of Life, illumining all of Eden, before Adam’s sin caused the star to vanish.

Every month of every year, for thousands of years, the order of the Magi has carried out its ancient rituals in expectation of this star’s arrival. They ascend their country’s most sacred mountain, the Mountain of Victories, and pray in silence at the mouth of the Cave of Treasures of Hidden Mysteries, where Seth’s own prophetic books are housed and read by the Magi. Whenever one of the Magi dies, his son or one of his close relatives takes his place, and their order continues through the ages.

All of this lore about the origins of the Magi and their prophecy has been narrated, we are told, by the generation of the Magi that was alive to witness the coming of the star. They have gathered together to ascend the Mountain of Victories, as was their ancient custom, but suddenly the foretold star appears in the heavens. As promised, the star is indescribably bright, so bright that the sun becomes as faint as the daytime moon; yet because the Magi alone are worthy of guarding this prophecy, the star can be seen by no one but them. The star descends to the peak of the mountain and enters the Cave of Treasures, bidding the Magi to come inside. The Magi enter the cave and bow before the star, whose incredible light gradually dissipates to reveal a small, luminous human! This “star-child” reveals to the Magi that he is the Son of God, but—and this is of crucial importance—never calls himself by the familiar names Jesus or Christ. Nor do the Magi themselves ever call him by these names, and the absence of these designations will provide us with a critical clue about the central message of the Revelation of the Magi.

The star-child instructs the Magi to follow it to Jerusalem so that they may witness its birth and participate in the salvation God has planned for the entire world. The Magi descend from the mountain, discussing excitedly what they have just seen. In the course of their conversation, however, they learn that each of them saw the star-child in a different form, with each vision representing a different time in the life of Christ!

They prepare a caravan and supplies for the lengthy trek, but thanks to the overwhelming power of the star, their journey proves to be truly extraordinary. The star removes any and all obstacles from their path, leveling valleys and mountains, making rivers passable on foot, and protecting the Magi from wild animals. The star’s light also relieves the Magi of their fatigue and continuously refills their food supplies. For the Magi, this vast journey from the eastern edge of the world to the land of Judea seems to have transpired in the mere blink of an eye.

The star leads the Magi into Jerusalem, where the city’s inhabitants puzzle at these exotic foreigners. Because the star is invisible to the inhabitants, they presume these visitors to be astrologers of some kind, since the Magi keep looking up at the heavens. The Magi’s encounter with Herod and the Jewish religious leaders in Jerusalem unfolds almost identically to the narrative of Matthew’s Gospel—one of the rare times that the Revelation of the Magi closely follows the story line of Matthew.

Immediately after the Magi hear the Jewish prophecy about the birth of the Messiah at Bethlehem, the star reappears to the them and leads them to a cave in the environs of the village. Just as upon the Mountain of Victories, the star enters the cave and beckons the Magi inside. Here the star transforms into a luminous, talking infant, whose “birth” is accompanied by unseen angels singing his praises. In a lengthy speech, the infant tells the Magi that their ancient mysteries have at last been fulfilled and commissions them to become witnesses to him and his Gospel for the people of their homeland.

As the Magi exit the Bethlehem cave, rejoicing at the fulfillment of their ancient prophecy, they are met by Mary and Joseph, who have suddenly appeared on the scene. In a very odd exchange, Mary accuses them of trying to steal her newborn infant, but the Magi assuage her concern by explaining that the child is actually the savior of the world and can be in many places simultaneously.

The Magi then begin their journey back to Shir, a trip that, through the awesome power of the star, transpires for them as quickly as did their travel to Bethlehem. The star’s light refills their food supplies even more abundantly than before, and when the Magi eat of these provisions, they again see their guide in a multitude of different forms. When they reach the borders of their homeland, crowds of their family members and kinspeople come out to meet them, marveling at the appearance and health of the travelers.

The Magi relate the story of their miraculous encounter with the star and subsequent journey to the people of Shir. They conclude their story by revealing to the people that they, too, can come to experience the presence of the star-child, whom the Magi claim is still with them—since he is, in fact, present throughout the entire world. The Magi present the people with the overflowing bags of food that the star has produced for them and invite them to partake. Those people who eat immediately see visions of the heavenly and earthly Christ, and thus many in the land of Shir accept the faith proclaimed by the Magi.

Thus far, the Magi’s age-old prophecy has been fulfilled: they have journeyed with the star, witnessed the birth of Christ, preached his Gospel to their kinspeople, and now remain in the light of Christ’s eternal presence. This would seem like a most fitting and fulfilling way for this story to conclude, yet the only copy of the Revelation of the Magi that we possess does not end here.

In a concluding episode that may not have been part of the original story (more on the reasons for this later), the Apostle Thomas comes to the homeland of the Magi on a missionary journey—presumably after many years have passed. The Magi hear of his arrival and come to meet him, telling him of their experience of Christ’s coming. Thomas recognizes that they have indeed had contact with Christ, and he relates to them his own memories of the ministry of Jesus. The Magi rejoice at what Thomas has said, and they ask him to initiate them into the Christian fellowship. When Thomas baptizes them early on Sunday morning, the heavenly Christ descends and administers the Eucharist, first to the apostle and then to the Magi. Thomas then commissions the Magi to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world, and the Revelation of the Magi ends with the Magi performing miracles and preaching.

Landau, Brent. Revelation of the Magi (pp. 8-11). HarperOne.

[Later, Landau notes] "the Thomas section is not at all concerned to avoid the name “Jesus Christ,” using it almost twenty times! Because of these reasons, I believe that the Thomas episode was a later addition to the Revelation of the Magi." [p.17]

" ... even if we were to grant that Matthew’s story of the Magi was based on an actual historical event, the Revelation of the Magi would not be a very strong candidate to have been written by the Magi themselves. True, the author of the Revelation of the Magi has carefully crafted this story and added levels of detail such that one might believe it to be the work of the Magi themselves. Once we closely inspect the story, however, it becomes clear that the author has used written sources—such as the letters of the Apostle Paul, the Gospel of John, and the Book of Revelation, to name a few ...

"In fact, the author not only used many of the earliest Christian writings in the New Testament. He seems to have used a rather obscure apocryphal Infancy Gospel that was likely written in the mid- to late-second century, a Gospel so obscure that it lacks an agreed-upon name!19 For the sake of (some) clarity, let us call it Infancy Gospel X. In Infancy Gospel X, the Magi come to visit the child Jesus at a small house[?]* outside the village of Bethlehem. Joseph—the main actor in Infancy Gospel X, as opposed to the narratives in Matthew and Luke, where he never says a word—proceeds to question these strange visitors about how they knew of the child’s birth."

Landau, Brent. Revelation of the Magi (pp. 18-19).

19 The Infancy Gospel that the Revelation of the Magi has used is preserved in medieval Latin and Irish manuscripts and is a lengthy expansion and harmonization of the materials found in the canonical infancy narratives, plus a number of traditions not found elsewhere

* in a couple of paragraphs Landau refers to the "Magi’s brief appearance [in Infancy Gospel X] at the Bethlehem cave, not spread throughout the narrative as in the Revelation of the Magi," ie. not at a house.