Is Irenaeus's Argument that Jesus as almost 50 connected to Tertullian's Reading of Magister in Mark chapter 10?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Is Irenaeus's Argument that Jesus as almost 50 connected to Tertullian's Reading of Magister in Mark chapter 10?

Post by Secret Alias »

I was talking to someone about the Greek use of kurios and the sense of it meaning mister and master and as always I got sidetracked. Here is the gist of the rabbit hole I went down.

In Tertullian's discussion of Mark chapter 10/Luke whatever he adds the word magister to his translation of the line:

"Good master how do I get life (or eternal life" I forget which)

Everyone has noticed that as a Marcionite variant for some reason. I won't get into that old debate. But then as I was talking about kurios meaning master I referenced Irenaeus's discussion of Jesus being almost 50 because he had to reach the age of magister.

I wonder whether Irenaeus is simply referencing the underlying sense of kurios - i.e. that a kurios has to be a mature man rather than a 30 year old 'youth' or is it something specific with respect to the Latin magister? Do either words necessitate Jesus being a certain age? Is a kurios or a magister generally though of as almost fifty or forty or a full grown man? Thanks