On Matthew 19: 13 - 30

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

On Matthew 19: 13 - 30

Post by Charles Wilson »

iskander wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:38 pm Matthew 19:25-30 is an amusing piece of work...
Matthew 19: 13 - 30 (RSV):

[13] Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people;
[14] but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven."
[15] And he laid his hands on them and went away.
[16] And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"
[17] And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."
[18] He said to him, "Which?" And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness,
[19] Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
[20] The young man said to him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?"
[21] Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."
[22] When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.
[23] And Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
[24] Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
[25] When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?"
[26] But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
[27] Then Peter said in reply, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?"
[28] Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
[29] And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
[30] But many that are first will be last, and the last first.

I have pulled Iskander's quote from another Thread and filled in the verses around it, embedding those verses to show just how amusing Matthew is.

Verses 13 - 15 set the stage for what is to follow. "Jesus" is supposed to "Lay Hands" on the children and that generally means giving Rulership to some. This is Caesar, as we shall see.

Josephus, War..., 2, 2, 4:

"Salome also, and those with her, put the crimes which they accused Archelaus of in order, and put them into Caesar's hands; and after they had done that, Archelaus wrote down the reasons of his claim, and, by Ptolemy, sent in his father's ring, and his father's accounts. And when Caesar had maturely weighed by himself what both had to allege for themselves, as also had considered of the great burden of the kingdom, and largeness of the revenues, and withal the number of the children Herod had left behind him, and had moreover read the letters he had received from Varus and Sabinus on this occasion, he assembled the principal persons among the Romans together, (in which assembly Caius, the son of Agrippa, and his daughter Julias, but by himself adopted for his own son, sat in the first seat,) and gave the pleaders leave to speak.

Herod had a lot of chilluns and they are getting the spoils, though that isn't enough for certain members of the family. Caesar lays hands of them and leaves the riff-raff to their devices. Who else is at the party?
Verses 16 - 17 are important as they are continuations of the "lit-uhl chirrens" passage.

The young man asks what GOOD DEED he might do to obtain Eternal Life. This is Archelaus and Caesar. It is Caesar since:

"Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."

1. "There is one who is good...". PS: It ain't Caesar since only God is good, so the author of this KNOWS and is hiding Information.
2. There are a variety of follow-ups here but the initial point is the Jewish One - The Commandments are not "Done-Away-With". They are binding.
3. "The Kingdom of God" - or the "Realm of Heaven" as seen elsewhere in Matthew - was a Real Place. Only Members of the Mishmarot Priestly Groups were allowed in. Nicholas of Damascus forged a Genealogy for Herod himself that would have allowed Herod to perform Sacrifices in the Temple and Herod would not do it.
4. The Trap is set. A list of GOOD THINGS are given and every one has been violated by the youth, that is, Archelaus.
"The young man said to him, "All these I have observed..."
Liar.
5. Verses 25 - 27 are transitions:

"[25] When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?"
[26] But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
[27] Then Peter said in reply, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?"

Verse 25 shows astonishment from the Disciples and that part is "true" in a way: They were in a Story that was not even about a"Jesus". The Story has been rewritten and TRANSVALUED. The Disciples had no idea that in 75 years the Romans would destroy everything they had worshiped.
6. Which brings us to Peter who - right on cue - makes an appearance. Peter is given a List of things he never contemplated. The last item on that list is Eternal Life. That will be given to the Rulers all right but it won't given to the "Original Peter".

How do we know that the "Original Peter" is thought of here?
"But many that are first will be last, and the last first..."

Peter was a child at the Atrocity of the Passover of 4 BCE. "Who is the 'last'" who will be first? The small child Peter who saves a Priest - "You must turn as a child..." in order to get into the Realm of Heaven. The rich, the elders, even John could not get into the Realm of Heaven while they are being hacked to pieces outside (See: The Maidens in Matthew 25). He is probably not older than 12 here. At the Duplicated Passover 12 years later, he is probably no older than 24. At the Fall of the Temple he is probably in his 80s. Peter is the Main Character of the Original. That has to be hidden.

Matthew 23: 13 (RSV):

[13] "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither enter yourselves, nor allow those who would enter to go in.

The Scribes and Pharisees can't get into the Realm of Heaven. Rich people can't. Offspring of Herod can't.

But Peter could!

This is what gets rewritten. From Josephus (Or Nicholas of Damascus...).

CW