Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Post by mlinssen »

I was under the impression that it would be pretty blatantly obvious that this Spirit here concerns PNEUMA alone
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Of course its pretty blatantly obvious that the Spirit you wrote about above is that referred to in the Chrestian runes as representing pneuma alone. My point was tangential. Sorry if tangentiation is a problem. My tangential point was about the Christianised translations of the NHL.

Pneuma and daimon were related technical terms in Stoic philosophy:
Stoic philosopher Poseidonios of Apameia wrote:
"man should follow always and at all times the daimon within us, the Logos, who is akin to and of the same nature as the Daimon without, the Pneuma or God who pervades the universe."
You have invariably complained about the Christianised translations of the Nag Hammadi Library. I agree with these complaints and have here simply added a further issue to complain about.

That is, if this quote from Poseidonios of Apameia were to have been in the NHL then the Christianised translation would be this:
Christianised Translation wrote:"man should follow always and at all times the demon within us, the Logos, who is akin to and of the same nature as the Demon without, the Pneuma or God who pervades the universe."
If you don't understand my tangential point and/or do understand my point but think its simply irrelevant and/or don't see this is another "bad Christianised translation" then don't lose any sleep over it.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:43 am Of course its pretty blatantly obvious that the Spirit you wrote about above is that referred to in the Chrestian runes as representing pneuma alone. My point was tangential. Sorry if tangentiation is a problem. My tangential point was about the Christianised translations of the NHL.

Pneuma and daimon were related technical terms in Stoic philosophy:
Stoic philosopher Poseidonios of Apameia wrote:
"man should follow always and at all times the daimon within us, the Logos, who is akin to and of the same nature as the Daimon without, the Pneuma or God who pervades the universe."
You have invariably complained about the Christianised translations of the Nag Hammadi Library. I agree with these complaints and have here simply added a further issue to complain about.

That is, if this quote from Poseidonios of Apameia were to have been in the NHL then the Christianised translation would be this:
Christianised Translation wrote:"man should follow always and at all times the demon within us, the Logos, who is akin to and of the same nature as the Demon without, the Pneuma or God who pervades the universe."
If you don't understand my tangential point and/or do understand my point but think its simply irrelevant and/or don't see this is another "bad Christianised translation" then don't lose any sleep over it.
Can you just take your tangential posts to the tangential corner of the forum please Pete.
You derail so many threads with completely unrelated topics that always serve your self interest

WTF has any of the above to do with nomina sacra? And the first three centuries for that matter, a period preceding your beloved fabrications and feeble fable fantasies
mlinssen

all Xrhst/Xreist ever in all MSS ever (includes research Excel)

Post by mlinssen »

[ETA: updated 2023-01-31 - bumping]

I have gone full in, and decided to do it all: every uncial, majuscule, minuscule, fragment - every single inch ever found

For a change I will present a table with the MSS for each verse - but first, volumetrics regarding sample size:

Code: Select all

Verse: Coverage% MSS Hits
Mat 24:24:  26%	508	133
Mar 13:22:  36%	461	168
Act 11:26:  48%	274	131
Act 26:28:  46%	269	123
1 Pet 4:16:  4%	138	  5
1 Joh 2:18: 13%	133	 17
1 Joh 2:22: 12%	131	 16
1 Joh 4:3:  12%	130	 15
2 Joh 1:7:   9%	179	 17
All has been taken from the Kurzgefasste Liste where not every transcipt is readily available, but we may very freely extrapolate on the gospels and Acts

A pic, because nothing really renders here:

1. Verses are on top
2. MS numbering is by the Liste, identical to Gregory
3. The bold italic is the deviation: is the stem xrhst, xreist (or sumtin else)
4. Then it's all neatly ordered by presumed date which sometimes is a century

Conclusion:

A. We can close the forum, Christianity has been debunked as piggy bagging on Chrestianity
B. Xrhstianiyy to be precise, as the eta just couldn't be rooted out, evidently
C. And the odd Xrest-xyz was Christianity struggling with (re)branding the icon and the followers, all of which didn't last long, by the looks of it
D. And all the iotacism nonsense has now really been thoroughly debunked for good, period. Funny thing is that I encountered a few MS that hadn't been "fixed" but this timeline and the blatantly obvious propensity for Xrhst-xyz bring in the old "make no mistake" adage: there was no confusing or mistaking anything, ever. Falsifying and foobarring, yes - but that is at the very core of Christianity, and to be honest IT IS its very core

What do the sample sets look like? An overview, sorted by date, can be found here:

For those of you expecting great research into the very first millennium, well I'm sorry: only a handful there for each of these verses, no matter the hundreds of each of them - this will teach anyone very little about early Christianity, the bulk (if not all) serves NT research alone

XLSX included:
ChristAllmightyv09.xlsx
(216.65 KiB) Downloaded 30 times