Mark 9: 30 - 37

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Mark 9: 30 - 37

Post by Charles Wilson »

Mark 9: 30 - 37 (RSV):

[30] They went on from there and passed through Galilee. And he would not have any one know it;
[31] for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, "The Son of man will be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him; and when he is killed, after three days he will rise."
[32] But they did not understand the saying, and they were afraid to ask him.
[33] And they came to Caper'na-um; and when he was in the house he asked them, "What were you discussing on the way?"
[34] But they were silent; for on the way they had discussed with one another who was the greatest.
[35] And he sat down and called the twelve; and he said to them, "If any one would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all."
[36] And he took a child, and put him in the midst of them; and taking him in his arms, he said to them,
[37] "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me."

Joe Wallack brought this up in a Post today and I don't want to interrupt his Analysis.
This Passage is important to what I see as the Original Story. It has been hacked and rewritten for the Glory of Rome and the Flavians but the Symbolism here is not Complex. Everyone is invited to look to the Skies and the wonderful Glory that is to come but there are Clues to show that the Original pointed elsewhere, to something else.

[30] They went on from there and passed through Galilee. And he would not have any one know it

Galilee is Home to the Settlements that were given to the Mishmarot Priesthood (Elizur, Leibner). The Original is not about a "Jesus". That way leads to the Transvaluation that is coming. Here is the Story of the Priest who escaped Death almost 12 years earlier by a "Miracle" when the child Peter stepped into the Death and saved the Priest. The Priest has been sought for these 12 years by the Romans and the Herodians. He wants no one to know that he is Returning for one last Call to Glory. If he is caught, it will be an immediate Painful Death. It is important to be aware that there are TWO Stories that have been "Telescoped" into one story. The first Story occurs in 4 BCE, the second Story occurs 12 years later. This verse is therefore from the Lead-Up to the "Duplicate Passover" 12 years later, which occurs on the "same week" as the 4 BCE Temple Atrocity [Edit Note: Not only is it the "same week", the same Mishmarot Rotations occur - Bilgah and then Immer.].
(See: Eisenman and Wise, Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered for the 6 year Mishmarot Rotations Cycle).

[31] for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, "The Son of man will be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him; and when he is killed, after three days he will rise."

This is not Original - It is Transvalued material given to make it appear as if this is about a savior/god. The True Subject is the Eviction of the Romans and the Herodians and the Re-Dedication of the Temple. This Temple will be a Temple "Not Made by Human Hands". The Mishmarot Group Bilgah is on Duty for Passover and the High Sabbath of the Feast (See: John). Three days and three nights later, Immer rotates into Jerusalem for the Weekly Sabbath and Temple Re-Dedication.

[32] But they did not understand the saying, and they were afraid to ask him.
[33] And they came to Caper'na-um; and when he was in the house he asked them, "What were you discussing on the way?"
[34] But they were silent; for on the way they had discussed with one another who was the greatest.

This one is obvious to me but probably not to anyone else * : The Story is occurring on the trek to Jerusalem in late 8 CE, early 9 (Note the Calendars - 14 Nisan embedded here in BCE/CE time). The Priest has the Strongest Belief possible that children are needed to complete the Holy Assignments. This conversation about the "Greatest" is a conversation that children have. There is, however, an important ambiguity here...

* [Edit Note:This is not stated as a matter of False Pride. The Symbolism of the Children has not been examined because of the Transvaluation.]

[35] And he sat down and called the twelve; and he said to them, "If any one would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all."

To understand this, you must put the Original back together as best you can:

Mark 6: 46 - 51 (RSV):

[46] And after he had taken leave of them, he went up on the mountain to pray.
[47] And when evening came, the boat was out on the sea, and he was alone on the land.
[48] And he saw that they were making headway painfully, for the wind was against them. And about the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. He meant to pass by them,
[49] but when they saw him walking on the sea they thought it was a ghost, and cried out;
[50] for they all saw him, and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take heart, it is I; have no fear."
[51] And he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded...

This is looking back to the Temple Slaughter of 4 BCE. The Priest is caught between Antonia and the Temple. (See also: Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse 5 and Joseph Heller, Catch 22. You must understand "Snowden's Secret", from a Jewish Perspective. Vonnegut/Billy Pilgrim are dead. No one could survive the Firebombing of Dresden. Only...Vonnegut did. The Priest, caught in the Massacre could not have survived. Only...He did.)

The Priest is saved by a child and that child was named, in least in the Story we have, "Peter." It is as if Children are never to play Heroic Roles in the Grand Stories. However, the adults who seek to find safety in the Melee will find Death. It is the child - Peter! - who will be first. WE KNOW THIS:

Matthew 18: 2 - 3 (RSV):

[2] And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them,
[3] and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

"Turn" is the correct word here, not "Change". WE KNOW THIS:

Luke 13:

[22] He went on his way through towns and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem.
[23] And some one said to him, "Lord, will those who are saved be few?" And he said to them,
[24] "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
[25] When once the householder has risen up and shut the door, you will begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, `Lord, open to us.' He will answer you, `I do not know where you come from.'
[26] Then you will begin to say, `We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.'
[27] But he will say, `I tell you, I do not know where you come from; depart from me, all you workers of iniquity!'
[28] There you will weep and gnash your teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves thrust out.
[29] And men will come from east and west, and from north and south, and sit at table in the kingdom of God.
[30] And behold, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last."

"[24] "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able."

This is not "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". It is a Real Description of what happened in 4 BCE. If this Section was written by Nicholas of Damascus, it might be Literary, but it would then refer, as certain Dialogues of Josephus, to a plausible Construction for a point.

[36] And he took a child, and put him in the midst of them; and taking him in his arms, he said to them,
[37] "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me."

The passageway to Safety is so small that only a child, a self-conscious one in this Passage - can make it through to Safety. Remember!:

Matthew 23:13 (RSV):

[13] "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither enter yourselves, nor allow those who would enter to go in.

As I've stated before, this is a Passage concerning MEN preventing MEN from entering the Realm of Heaven. This is not Transcendent Metaphysics. This is Descriptive of a Real Event - perhaps Literary but echoing a Story that was so important that the Romans had to rewrite it in a Transvaluation.

I sense some Interpolation here and it introduces an Ambiguity, perhaps "Translation Related": Is this the Priest speaking or is it Peter, who has now become a Priest himself. I favor the former. Since the Priest lived those 12 years ago, if, in the coming Repeat, the children are sent out to the 4 compass points, "You" are receiving the Priest. If you receive this child, "...as I did 12 years ago...", you receive not the child but the One who sent him.

Who sent the Priest?

Mark 5: 22 - 24 (RSV):

[22] Then came one of the rulers of the synagogue, Ja'irus by name; and seeing him, he fell at his feet,
[23] and besought him, saying, "My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well, and live."
[24] And he went with him.

This is from 8/9 CE. [Edit Note: The daughter is therefore a Political Symbol for the Movement to get rid of the Romans and Herodians.] WE KNOW THIS. It is in the same manner as "The Woman with the 12 Year Issue of Blood".

Mark 5: 42 (RSV):

[42] And immediately the girl got up and walked (she was twelve years of age), and they were immediately overcome with amazement.

"...she was twelve years of age..."

It is Jairus who sends the Priest back to Jerusalem for one last Call. This is looking back from the 9 CE Passover. Everyone knows what is to happen:

Luke 9: 51 - 62 (RSV):

[51] When the days drew near for him to be received up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.
[52] And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him;
[53] but the people would not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem.
[54] And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to bid fire come down from heaven and consume them?"
[55] But he turned and rebuked them.
[56] And they went on to another village.
[57] As they were going along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."
[58] And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."
[59] To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
[60] But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
[61] Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home."
[62] Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

The Children want the Priest to send down Fire from Heaven as the Prophets would have.
The adults know that the Priest is going to his Death.

That's the Original Story.

CW