From the Suda

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

From the Suda

Post by Charles Wilson »

While I'm irritating everyone again today:

https://www.cs.uky.edu/~raphael/sol/sol ... r=nu%2C393

"Headword: *niko/laos
Adler number: nu,393
Translated headword: Nikolaos, Nicolaus
Vetting Status: high
Translation:
Of Damascus; acquaintance of Herod the king of the Jews and of Augustus Caesar; Peripatetic or Platonic philosopher. He wrote a Universal History in 80 books, and the early stages of the life of Caesar. And Caesar was so delighted with him that he called the flat cakes, or rather honey-cakes, which were sent by this man to Caesar, by the name of Nikolaoi. And this [custom] has remained to this day. He also wrote about his own life and upbringing."

There is a L-O-N-G History of "Honey Cakes" leading up the poisoning of Aristobulus by Pompey as he is freed and given 2 Legions to go to Syria and Kick Ass.

Josephus, War..., 1, 9, 1:

"NOW, upon the flight of Pompey and of the senate beyond the Ionian Sea, Caesar got Rome and the empire under his power, and released Aristobulus from his bonds. He also committed two legions to him, and sent him in haste into Syria, as hoping that by his means he should easily conquer that country, and the parts adjoining to Judea. But envy prevented any effect of Aristobulus's alacrity, and the hopes of Caesar; for he was taken off by poison given him by those of Pompey's party; and, for a long while, he had not so much as a burial vouchsafed him in his own country; but his dead body lay [above ground], preserved in honey, until it was sent to the Jews by Antony, in order to be buried in the royal sepulchers..."

Somewhere in here is another long story. It has ties, however, to this:

Revelation 10: 8 - 10 (RSV):

[8] Then the voice which I had heard from heaven spoke to me again, saying, "Go, take the scroll which is open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land."
[9] So I went to the angel and told him to give me the little scroll; and he said to me, "Take it and eat; it will be bitter to your stomach, but sweet as honey in your mouth."
[10] And I took the little scroll from the hand of the angel and ate it; it was sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it my stomach was made bitter.

As I say, there is a story here and I believe it is tied to "Honey Flat Cakes" or, in Aristobulus' Case, a rolled up flat-cake laced with Rhododendron Honey. YMMV.