Were the Gospels Established by 'Other-Worldly' Means? Do Scholars Need to Defend Their Belief in 'Other-Worldliness'?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Were the Gospels Established by 'Other-Worldly' Means? Do Scholars Need to Defend Their Belief in 'Other-Worldlines

Post by Secret Alias »

The gospel according to Marcion criticized in Against Marcion Book 4. They were likely announced at the opening of the gospel in the scene at the Jewish house of worship, at Capernaum in Luke but likely the temple in the Marcionite gospel.
Secret Alias

Re: Were the Gospels Established by 'Other-Worldly' Means? Do Scholars Need to Defend Their Belief in 'Other-Worldlines

Post by Secret Alias »

Even in their present form they have an antinomian character albeit polished up by an orthodox editor.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The form in Clement is distinct too. The Marcionite attachment to the antitheses is intimated by Irenaeus too.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:57 pm The gospel according to Marcion criticized in Against Marcion Book 4. They were likely announced at the opening of the gospel in the scene at the Jewish house of worship, at Capernaum in Luke but likely the temple in the Marcionite gospel.
I would be interested in posts where you elaborate on your ideas like this.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Rather than me taking Samaritans to African American strip clubs like Cleo's in the 1990s? https://m.facebook.com/CleosGentlemensC ... &source=44. Ok. I think I posted pictures of Dynasty and Fancy somewhere in one of my posts at the old forum. Lost all memories of those days ...
John2

Post by John2 »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 pm Even in their present form they have an antinomian character albeit polished up by an orthodox editor.

How so? I'm just curious and not trying to antagonize you.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Come on. Here's an example. The author of Against Marcion says Matthew 5:17 and 18 and other pro-Torah passages were missing. So when Jesus is recorded as saying "the Law says X but I say Y" it was at least more antinomian than Matthew and Matthew as Papias notes (or at least a gospel of Matthew) was a correction of Mark. As such since Marcion had a pre-Matthean (because the author of Against Marcion doesn't reference the antitheses in Matthew) version of the material in Mt 5:17 - 44 it was probably original or at least more original than our canon.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Fri May 07, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:01 pm Come on. Here's an example. The author of Against Marcion says Matthew 5:17 and 18 and other pro-Torah passages were missing.

Right, but how are the parts that you consider to be the "original form" of Mt. 5:17ff antinomian?