The origin of "more than 500 brothers" at the insurrection/resurrection of a Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

The origin of "more than 500 brothers" at the insurrection/resurrection of a Jesus

Post by Giuseppe »

On hearing that a Galilean, named Jesus, was staying in Jerusalem, who had with him a company of six hundred men under arms, they sent for him.

(Josephus, Life, 40)

he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters at one time,

(1 Corinthians 15:5-6)

This confirms my suspicion: the original resurrection (anastasis) was a term used to mean: insurrection.
Giuseppe

Re: The origin of "more than 500 brothers" at the insurrection/resurrection of a Jesus

Post by Giuseppe »

How was it possible that the memory of a Jesus of Galilee "staying" in Jerusalem with 600 Zealots was used by Paul as "evidence" that a Risen Jesus appeared to 500~600 "brothers" ?
  • I think the answer is found in the same reason why in Acts 5:36 we have the "resurrection" of Theudas:

Some time ago Theudas rose [ἀνέστη], claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing.

• ...and the "resurrection" of Judas the Galilean:

After him, Judas the Galilean rose [ἀνέστη] in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered.

• The same reason is in action behind the news of false impostors claiming identity with the Risen Jesus, in Mark 13:

Jesus said to them: “Watch out that no one deceives you. Many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many.

(Mark 13:5-6)
My point here is that the closest thing that could seem identical to a "resurrection" is the news of an insurrection by messianist x. That Paul knew and used this resemblance in concept in order to persuade the Corynthians that Jesus was really risen.

This means that, in sequence, (1) Paul heard about the insurrection of a Jesus of Galilee with 600 Zealots and then (2) he used a such memory as "evidence" of a resurrection appearances to 500~600 "brothers".