Marcion and Thomas in all of Luke

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Marcion and Thomas in all of Luke

Post by mlinssen »

Marcion + Thomas

With great many thanks to Ben for his extraordinary work at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1765

I have gone through his thread, and taken only whatever is blue: bold, underlined, italic. According to Ben's post:
  • Words or phrases specifically attested to some degree as present in the Marcionite text, according to Roth, are in blue boldface. Roth specifies several degrees of probability for such verbatim attestation, but I do not replicate those degrees here, since to do so feels to me like a possible breach of intellectual property; instead, I offer the source texts, mainly from Tertullian and Epiphanius, below each section. Roth also specially marks words or phrases whose exact word order in the Marcionite text cannot be reconstructed, but I have ignored the matter of word order completely in this endeavor. Please note that the degrees of probability range from what Roth calls secure readings all the way down to merely possible readings; one may not, therefore, simply assume that boldfaced blue words and phrases are automatically present in the Marcionite text; they are merely the words and phrases for which Roth apparently feels there is enough evidence to at least debate.
  • Words or phrases generically attested as present in the Marcionite text, according to Roth, but with no way of determining exact wording, are in blue italics.
  • Words or phrases attested as present in Marcion but either absent from or rendered differently in canonical Luke, according to Roth, are underlined in blue boldface (being, virtually by definition, specifically attested as present in the Marcionite text). If the underlined words are replacing Lucan material (that is, if the underlined words are differently rendered in Luke and not merely absent), that replaced (or differently rendered) Lucan material is given first in blue italics, as described above, and then the Marcionite material is given in brackets immediately thereafter.
  • Words or phrases which are not attested either as absent or as present, according to Roth, are in plain black.
  • Words or phrases attested as absent from the Marcionite text, according to Roth, are in red.
  • Words or phrases attested as absent from one part of the catholic Lucan text but present at another location in the Marcionite version, according to Roth, are in purple (= red + blue).
What have I done?
  • Anything blue I have taken, including all of the verse that it is in
  • I have added linefeeds at the end of every verse, in order to give it some breathing space.
  • Out of the remainder I have selected what are Thomasine parallels in Luke, and those verses I have added to "my Marcion" in order to see all of Thomas in Marcion and Luke - and I have made those green.
  1. The Thomas parallels are preceded by a +-sign before the verse.
  2. Numbering is a simple e.g. (74) and its end is then marked with (-74)
  3. Under any other circumstances I would recommend my own translation, but given the fact that the accuracy of the gospel-writers matched that of the usual Thomas translations, anything goes. Take your pick from http://earlychristianwritings.com/thomas.html.
I don't agree with everything in Ben's thread (which basically is not Ben's choice but Roth et al etc) but this is not the place; never change more than one thing at a time or you'll lose traceability

One last disclaimer: this took me about a day, so naturally it pales in comparison to Ben's perfection where even single letters are marked.
That was not my goal: my goal is to have a very first parallel between Marcion and Thomas. And I think it is more than invaluable in this way already

Luke 3.1-38, John the baptist, the preaching and imprisonment of John, the baptism and genealogy of Jesus.

1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor [Marcion: in the times of Pontius Pilate] of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene,

Luke 4.31-37, teaching with authority and the exorcism of the Capernaum demoniac.

31 He came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. He was teaching them on the Sabbath day in the synagogue,
32 And [Marcion: but] they were all astonished at his teaching, for his word was with authority.
34 saying, “Ah! what have we to do with you, Jesus ~of Nazareth~? Have you come to destroy us? I know you who you are: the Holy One of God!
35 Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” When the demon had thrown him down in the middle of them, he came out of him, having done him no harm.

Luke 4.16-30, rejection at Nazareth.

16 He came to Nazara [Marcion: Nazareth], where he had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
+ 23 He said to them, “Doubtless you will tell me this parable, (31) Physician, heal yourself! (-31) Whatever we have heard done at Capernaum, do also here in your hometown.’ ”
+ 24 He said, “Most certainly I tell you, (31) no prophet is acceptable in his hometown. (-31)
29 They rose up, threw him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill that their city was built on, that they might throw him off the cliff.
30 But he, passing through the middle of them, went his way.

Luke 4.38-44, the healing of the mother-in-law of Peter, the evening healings, departing from Capernaum, and in the synagogues.

40 When the sun was setting, all those who had any sick with various diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.
41 Demons also came out of many, crying out, and saying,You are the Christ, the Son of God!Rebuking them, he didn’t allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the Christ.
42 When it was day, he departed and went into an uninhabited place, and the multitudes looked for him, and came to him, and held on to him, so that he wouldn’t go away from them.
43 But he said to them,I must preach the good news of God’s Kingdom to the other cities also. For this reason I have been sent.”

Luke 5.1-11, the call of the first disciples.

2 He saw two boats standing by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
9 For he was amazed, and all who were with him, at the catch of fish which they had caught;
10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid. For from now on you will be catching people alive.
11 When they had brought their boats to land, they left everything, and followed him.

Luke 5.12-16, the healing of a leper.

12 While he was in one of the cities, behold, there was a man full of leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell on his face, and begged him, saying, “Lord, if you want to, you can make me clean.”
13 He stretched out his hand, and touched him, saying, “I want to. Be made clean.” Immediately the leprosy left him.
14 He commanded him to tell no one, “But go your way, and show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift for your cleansing according to what Moses commanded, for a testimony to them [Marcion: so that this might be for a testimony to you].”

Luke 5.17-26, the healing of a paralytic.

17 On one of those days, he was teaching; and there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every village of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. The power of the Lord was with him to heal them.
18 Behold, men brought a paralyzed man on a cot, and they sought to bring him in to lay before Jesus.
20 Seeing their faith, he said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”
21 The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” (he said to the paralyzed man), “I tell you, arise, and take up your little cot [Marcion: take up your mat], and go to your house.”
26 Amazement took hold on all, and they glorified God. They were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen strange things today.”

Luke 5.27-32, the call of Levi, tax collectors and sinners.

27 After these things he went out, and saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the tax office, and said to him, “Follow me!
+ 30 (14) Their scribes and the Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?
+ 31 Jesus answered them, “Those who are healthy have no need for a physician, but those who are sick do. (14)

Luke 5.33-39, the controversy over fasting.

+ 33 They said to him, (104) “Why do John’s disciples often fast and pray, likewise also the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink?
+ 34 He said to them, The friends of the bridechamber cannot fast as long as [Marcion: while] the bridegroom is with them, can they?
+ 35 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them. Then they will fast in those days.” (-104)
+ 36 He also told a parable to them. (47)“No one puts a piece of unshrunk fabric from a new garment on an old garment, or else he will tear the new, and also the piece from the new will not match the old.
+ 37 No one puts new wine into old wine skins, or else the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed.
+ 38 But new wine must be put into fresh wine skins, and both are preserved.
+ 39 No man having drunk old wine immediately desires new, (-47) for he says, ‘The old is better.’ ”

Luke 6.1-11, plucking grain on the sabbath, the healing of a man with a withered hand.

1 Now on the second Sabbath after the first, he was going through the grain fields. His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate, rubbing them in their hands.
2 But some of the Pharisees said to them, “Why do you do that which is not lawful to do on the Sabbath day?”
3 Jesus, answering them, said,Haven’t you read what David did when he was hungry, he, and those who were with him;
4 how he entered into God’s house on the Sabbath, and took and ate the show bread, and gave also to those who were with him, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests alone?”
5 He said to them, “The Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”
6 It also happened on another Sabbath that he entered into the synagogue and taught. There was a man there, and his right hand was withered.
7 The scribes and the Pharisees watched him, to see whether he would heal on the Sabbath, that they might find an accusation against him.
9 Then Jesus said to them, “I will ask you something: Is it lawful on the Sabbaths to do good, or to do harm [Marcion: not]? To save a life, or to kill?

Luke 6.12-26, the commission of the twelve, the sermon on the plain, a great multitude, the beatitudes, the woes.

12 In these days, he went out [Marcion: ascended] to the mountain to pray, and he continued all night in prayer to God.
13 When it was day, he called his disciples, and from them he chose twelve, whom he also named apostles:
14 Simon, whom he also named Peter; Andrew, his brother; James; John; Philip; Bartholomew;
16 Judas the son of James; and Judas Iscariot, who also became a traitor.
17 He came down with [Marcion: among] them, and stood on a level place, with a crowd of his disciples, and a great number of the people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon and beyond, who came to hear him and to be healed of their diseases;
19 All the multitude sought to touch him, for power came out of him and healed them all.
+ 20 He lifted up his eyes to his disciples, and said, (54)“Blessed are you [Marcion: the] who are poor, God’s Kingdom is yours [Marcion: theirs(-54)].
+ 21 (69) Blessed are you [Marcion: they] who hunger now, for you [Marcion: they] will be filled. (-69) Blessed are you [Marcion: they] who weep now, for you [Marcion: they] will laugh.
+ 22 (68) Blessed are you when men shall hate you, and when they shall exclude (-68) and mock you, and throw out your name as evil, for the Son of Man’s sake.
23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven, for their fathers did the same thing to the prophets.
24 “But woe to you who are rich! For you have received your consolation.
25 Woe to you, you who are full now, for you will be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.

Luke 6.27-36, on revenge and enemies.

27 “But I tell you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse [Marcion: hate] you, and pray for those who mistreat you.
29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer also the other; and from him who takes away your cloak, don’t withhold your coat also [Marcion: your coat, offer also your cloak to him].
30 Give to everyone who asks you, and don’t ask him who takes away your goods to give them back again.
31 “As you would like people to do [Marcion: happen] to you from men, do exactly so to them also.
+ 34 (95) If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back again, (-95) what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much.
35 But love your enemies, and do good, and you are to lend without despairing, expecting nothing back; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High [Marcion: of God]; for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil.
36 “Therefore be merciful, even as your Father is ~also~ merciful to you.

Luke 6.37-49, on judgment, by their fruits, do as I say, the parable of the wise and foolish builders.

37 Don’t judge, and [Marcion: so that] you won’t be judged. Don’t condemn, and [Marcion: so that] you won’t be condemned. Set free, and you will be set free.
38 “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be given to you. For with the same measure you measure it will be measured back to you.
+ 39 He spoke a parable to them. (34) “Can the blind guide the blind? Won’t they both fall into a pit? (-34)
40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.
+ 41 (26) Why do you see the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye, but don’t consider the beam that is in your own eye?
+ 42 Or how can you tell your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck of chaff that is in your eye,’ when you yourself don’t see the beam that is in your own eye? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye. (-26)
+ 43 (43) For there is no good tree that produces rotten fruit; nor again a rotten tree that produces good fruit. (-43)
+ 44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. (45) For people don’t gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush.
+ 45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings out that which is good, and the evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings out that which is evil, for out of the abundance of the heart, his mouth speaks. (-45)

Luke 7.1-17, the healing at the request of a centurion, the raising of the dead son in Nain.

2 A certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and at the point of death.
9 When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turned and said to the multitude who followed him, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith, no, not in Israel.”
12 Now when he came near to the gate of the city, behold, one who was dead was carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. Many people of the city were with her.
14 He came near and touched the coffin, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I tell you, arise!”
15 He who was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother.
16 Fear took hold of all, and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has arisen among us!” and, “God has visited his people!”

Luke 7.18-35, the inquiry of John the baptist.

18 The disciples of John told him about all these things. John, in prison, calling to himself two of his disciples,
19 sent them to Jesus, saying, “Go and ask him, ‘Are you the one who is coming, or should we look for another?’
20 When the men had come to him, they said, “John the Baptizer has sent us to you, saying, ‘Are you he who comes, or should we look for another?’”
22 Jesus answered them,Go and tell John the things which you have seen and heard: that the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.
23 Blessed is he who finds no occasion for stumbling in me.
+ 24 When John’s messengers had departed, he began to tell the multitudes about John, (78) “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind?
+ 25 But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft clothing? Behold, those who are gorgeously dressed, and live delicately, are in kings’ courts.
+ 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? (-78) Yes, I tell you, and much more than a prophet.
27 This is he of whom it is written, ‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.’
+ 28 “For I tell you, (46) among those who are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptizer, yet he who is least in God’s Kingdom is greater than he.” (-46)
+ 31 (21) “To what then should I compare the people of this generation? What are they like?
+ 32 They are like children who sit in the marketplace (-21)
, and call to one another, saying, ‘We piped to you, and you didn’t dance. We mourned, and you didn’t weep.’

Luke 7.36-50, the anointing of Jesus.

36 One of the Pharisees invited him to eat with him. He entered into the Pharisee’s house, and sat at the table.
37 Behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that he was reclining in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster jar of ointment.
38 Standing behind at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and she wiped them with the hair of her head, kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
44 Turning to the woman, he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered into your house, and you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head.
45 You gave me no kiss, but she, since the time I came in, has not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 You didn’t anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But one to whom little is forgiven, loves little.
48 He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
50 He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

Luke 8.1-18, the female followers of Jesus, by the lake, the parable of the sower and explanation, the mysteries of the kingdom, on the nature of parables.

2 and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary who was called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out;
3 and Joanna, the wife of Chuzas, Herod’s steward; Susanna; and many others; who also served them [Marcion: him] from their possessions.
4 When a great multitude came together, and people from every city were coming to him, he spoke by a parable.
+ 5 (9) “The farmer went out to sow his seed. As he sowed, some fell along the road, and it was trampled under foot, and the birds of the sky devoured it.
+ 6 Other seed fell on the rock, and as soon as it grew, it withered away, because it had no moisture.
+ 7 Other fell amid the thorns, and the thorns grew with it, and choked it.

+ 8 Other fell into the good ground, and grew, and produced one hundred times as much fruit.” As he said these things, he called out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!” (9)
+ 10 (62) He said, “To you it is given to know the mysteries (-62) of God’s Kingdom, but to the rest in parables; that ‘seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.’
+ 16 (33) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a container, or puts it under a bed; but puts it on a stand, that those who enter in may see the light. (-33)
+ 17 (6) For nothing is hidden that will not be revealed; nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. (-6)
+ 18 Be careful therefore how you hear. (41) For whoever has, to him will be given; and whoever doesn’t have, from him will be taken away even that which he thinks he has.” (-41)

Luke 8.19-25, the family of Jesus, the calming of the lake.

20 Some people told him, “Your mother and your brothers stand outside, desiring to see you.”
+ 21 (99) But he answered them,My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God, and do it. [Marcion: Who is my mother and who are my brothers except these who hear my words and do them?]” (-99)
22 Now on one of those days, he entered into a boat, himself and his disciples, and he said to them, “Let’s go over to the other side of the lake.” So they launched out.
23 But as they sailed, he fell asleep. A wind storm came down on the lake, and they were taking on dangerous amounts of water.
24 They came to him, and awoke him, saying, “Master, master, we are dying!” He awoke, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water [Marcion: sea], and they ceased, and it was calm.
25 He said to them, “Where is your faith?” Being afraid they marveled, saying to one another,Who is this then, that he [Marcion: who] commands even the winds and the water [Marcion: sea], and they obey him?”

Luke 8.26-39, the exorcism of the Gadarene demoniac.

27 When Jesus stepped ashore, a certain man out of the city who had demons for a long time met him. He wore no clothes, and didn’t live in a house, but in the tombs.
28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, “What do I have to do with you, Jesus, you Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don’t torment me!
30 Jesus asked him,What is your name?He said, “Legion,” for many demons had entered into him.
31 They begged him that he would not command them to go into the abyss.
32 Now there was there a herd of many pigs feeding on the mountain, and they begged him that he would allow them to enter into those. Then he allowed them.

Luke 8.40-56, the raising of the daughter of Jairus, the healing of a hemorrhaging woman.

42 for he had an only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she was dying. ~But it happened that as he~ [Marcion: ~they~] ~went~, the multitudes pressed against him.
43 A certain woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years, who had spent all her living on physicians and could not be healed by any
44 came behind him, and touched the fringe of his cloak. Immediately the flow of her blood stopped.
45 Jesus [Marcion: the Lord] said, “Who touched me?” When all denied it, Peter and those with him said, “Master, the multitudes press and jostle you, and you say, ‘Who touched me?’”
46 But Jesus said,Someone did touch me, for I also perceived that power has gone out of me.
48 He said to her, “Daughter, cheer up. Your faith has made you well. Go in peace.”

Luke 9.1-11, the mission of the twelve, John the baptist risen.

1 He called the twelve together, and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases.
+ 2 (14) He sent them out to preach God’s Kingdom and to heal the sick.
3 He said to them, “Take nothing for your journey—no staffs, nor wallet, nor bread, nor money. Don’t have two coats each.
+ 4 Into whatever house you enter, stay there, and depart from there.
+ 5 As many as don’t receive you, (-14) when you depart from that city, shake off even the dust from your feet for a testimony against them.
6 They departed and went throughout cities and the villages, preaching the Good News and healing everywhere.
7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by him; and he was very perplexed, because it was being said by some that John had risen from the dead,
8 and by some that Elijah had appeared, and by others that one of the old prophets had risen again.

Luke 9.12-17, the feeding of the five thousand.

12 The day began to wear away; and the twelve came and said to him, “Send the multitude away, that they may go into the surrounding villages and farms, and lodge, and get food, for we are here in a deserted place.
13 But he said to them, “You give them something to eat.” They said, “We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless we should go and buy food for all these people.”
14 For they were about five thousand men. He said to his disciples, “Make them sit down in groups of about fifty each.”
16 He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to the sky, he blessed them, broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the multitude.
17 They ate and were all filled. They gathered up twelve baskets of broken pieces that were left over.

Luke 9.18-27, who do you say that I am, the first passion prediction, take up your cross, finding and losing, before my father.

18 As he was praying alone, the disciples were with him, and he asked them,Who do the multitudes [Marcion: men] say that I, the son of man, am?
19 They answered, “‘John the Baptizer,but others say, ‘Elijah,and others, that one of the old prophets has risen again.
+ 20 (13) He said to them,But who do you say that I am?Peter answered,The Christ of God [Marcion: you are the Christ].” (-13)
21 But he warned them, and commanded them to tell this to no one,
22 saying,The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed [or: crucified], and the third day [Marcion: after three days] be raised up.
+ 23 (55) He said to all, “If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. (-55)
24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but [Marcion: and] whoever will lose his life [Marcion: it] for my sake, will save it.
26 For whoever will be ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man [Marcion: I] be ashamed, when he comes in his glory, and the glory of the Father, and of the holy angels.

Luke 9.28-36, the transfiguration.

28 About eight days after these sayings, he took with him Peter, John, and James, and went up onto the mountain to pray.
29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became white and dazzling.
30 Behold, two men were talking with him, who were Moses and Elijah,
31 who appeared in glory, and spoke of his departure, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.
32 Now Peter and those who were with him were heavy with sleep, but when they were fully awake, they saw his glory, and the two men who stood with him.
33 As they were parting from him, Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here. Let’s make three tents here: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah,” not knowing what he said.
34 While he said these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them, and they were afraid as they entered into the cloud.
35 A voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him!”

Luke 9.37-50, the exorcism of a boy, the second passion prediction, receiving the sender, for or against us.

40 I begged your disciples to cast it out, and they couldn’t cast it out.
41 Jesus answered them,Faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and how long shall I bear with you? Bring your son here.”
44 “Let these words sink into your ears, for the Son of Man will be delivered up into the hands of men.
46 An argument arose among them about which of them was the greatest.
48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this little child in my name receives me. Whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For whoever is least among you all, this one will be great.”

Luke 9.51-62, journeying to Jerusalem, fire from heaven, following Jesus.

54 When his disciples, James and John, saw this, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from the sky, and destroy them, just as Elijah did?”
55 But he turned and rebuked them, “You don’t know of what kind of spirit you are.
57 As they went on the way, a certain man said to him,I want to follow you wherever you go, Lord.”
+ 58 (86) Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” (-86)
59 He said to another, “Follow me!” But he said, “Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father.
60 But Jesus said to him,Leave the dead to bury their own dead, but you go and announce God’s Kingdom.
61 Another also said, “I want to follow you, Lord, but first allow me to say good-bye to those who are at my house.
62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for God’s Kingdom.”

Luke 10.1-20, the mission of the seventy, woe to the cities, receiving the sender, the fall of Satan.

1 Now after these things, the Lord also appointed seventy others, and sent them two by two ahead of him into every city and place where he was about to come.
+ 2 (73) Then he said to them, “The harvest is indeed plentiful, but the laborers are few. Pray therefore to the Lord of the harvest, that he may send out laborers into his harvest. (-73)
4 Carry no purse, nor wallet, neither staff nor sandals. Greet no one on the way.
+ 5 (14) Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’
+ 7 Remain in that same house, eating and drinking the things they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Don’t go from house to house.
+ 8 Into whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat the things that are set before you.
+ 9 Heal the sick who are therein, (-14) and tell them,God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’
10 But into whatever city you enter, and they don’t receive you, go out into its streets and say,
11 ‘Even the dust from your city that clings to us, we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’
16 Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me. Whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.
19 Behold, I give you [or: I have given you] authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy. Nothing will in any way hurt you.

Luke 10.21-42, revealed to babes, blessed are your eyes and ears, the greatest commandment, the good Samaritan, Mary and Martha.

21 In that same hour Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit, and said, “I thank you and confess [or: praise] you, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from [Marcion: that the things which were hidden to] the wise and understanding, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for so it was well-pleasing in your sight.
22 Turning to the disciples, he said, “All things have been delivered to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is, except the Father, and who the Father is, except the Son [Marcion, however, seems to reverse these clauses], and he to whomever the Son desires to reveal him.
+ 23 Turning to the disciples, (38) he said privately, “Blessed are the eyes which see the things that you see,
+ 24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see the things which you see, and didn’t see them, and to hear the things which you hear, and didn’t hear them.” (-38)
25 Behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said to him,What is written in the law? How do you read it?”
+ 27 He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; (25) and your neighbor as yourself.”(-25)
28 He said to him,You have answered [Marcion: spoken] correctly. Do this, and you will live.

Luke 11.1-13, the paternoster, a friend at midnight, ask, seek, knock.

1 When he finished praying in a certain place, one of his [Marcion: the] disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John also taught his disciples.”
2 He said to them, “When you pray, say,~Our~ Father ~in heaven~, may your name be kept holy [Marcion adds a petition for the Holy Spirit: may your Holy Spirit come upon us]. May your Kingdom come. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.
3 Give us day by day your daily bread.
4 Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. Bring us not [Marcion: do not let us be brought] into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’ ”
5 He said to them, “Which of you, if you go to a friend at midnight, and tell him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,
7 and he from within will answer and say, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I can’t get up and give it to you’?
8 I tell you, although he will not rise and give it to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence, he will get up and give him as many as he needs.
+ 9 “I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. (94) Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you.
+ 10 For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened. (-94)
11 “Which [Marcion: for which] of you fathers, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he won’t give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, he won’t give him a scorpion, will he?
13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?”

Luke 11.14-28, the controversy over Beezebul, the seven spirits, blessed the womb and breasts.

14 He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke; and the multitudes marveled.
15 But some of them said,He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of the demons.”
18 If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul.
19 But if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your children cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges.
20 But if I by God’s finger cast out demons, then God’s Kingdom has come near to you.
+ 21 (21) “When the strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe. (21)
+ 22 (35) But when someone stronger attacks him and overcomes him, he takes from him his whole armor in which he trusted, and divides his plunder. (35)
+ 27 It came to pass, as he said these things, (79) a certain woman out of the multitude lifted up her voice, and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which nursed you!”
+ 28 But he said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and keep [Marcion: do] it.” (-79)

Luke 11.29-54, the sign of Jonah, the lamp of the body, woe to the Pharisees and lawyers.

29 When the multitudes were gathering together to him, he began to say,This is an evil generation. It seeks after a sign. No sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah, the prophet.
+ 33 (33) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, that those who come in may see the light [Marcion: it might shine on all]. (-33)
+ 34 (24) The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore when your eye is good, your whole body is also full of light; but when it is evil, your body also is full of darkness.
+ 35 Therefore see whether the light that is in you isn’t darkness.
+ 36 If therefore your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly full of light (24), as when the lamp with its bright shining gives you light.”

37 Now as he spoke, a certain Pharisee asked him to dine with him. He went in, and sat at the table.
38 When the Pharisee saw it, he marveled that [Marcion: he, judging within himself, began to ask why] he had not first washed himself before dinner.
+ 39 The Lord [or: Jesus] said to him,Now you Pharisees (89) cleanse the outside of the cup and of the platter, but your inward part (-89) is full of extortion and wickedness.
+ 40 You foolish ones, (89) didn’t he who made the outside make the inside also?(-89)
41 But give for gifts [Marcion: your possessions] to the needy those things which are within, and behold, all things will be clean to you.
+ 42 (102) But woe to you Pharisees! (-102) For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, but you bypass justice and God’s love. You ought to have done these, and not to have left the other undone.
+ 43 (102) Woe to you Pharisees! (-102) For you love the best seats in the synagogues, and the greetings in the marketplaces.
46 He said,Woe to you lawyers also! For you load men with burdens that are difficult to carry, and you yourselves won’t even lift one finger to help carry [Marcion: touch] those burdens.
47 Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets, and your fathers killed them.
48 So do you testify and [Marcion: that you do not] consent to the works of your fathers. [?] For they killed them, and you build their tombs.
+ 52 Woe to you (39) lawyers! For you took away the key of knowledge. You didn’t enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in, you hindered.”(-39)

Luke 12.1-9, the leaven of the Pharisees, fear not, before the angels.

1 Meanwhile, when a multitude of many thousands had gathered together, so much so that they trampled on each other, he began to tell his disciples first of all, “Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
+ 2 (6) But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known. (-6)
+ 3 (33) Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light. What you have spoken in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops. (-33)
4 “I tell you, my friends, don’t be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do [or: and after that have no further authority over you].
5 But I will warn you whom you should fear. Fear him who after he has killed, has power to cast into Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
8 “For I tell you, everyone who confesses [Marcion: will confess] me before men, the Son of Man [Marcion: I] will also confess before the angels of God;
9 but he who denies me in the presence of men will be denied in the presence of the angels of God.

Luke 12.10-21, the sin against the spirit, delivered up, who made me judge, the parable of the rich fool.

+ 10 (44) Everyone who speaks [Marcion: should speak] a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme [Marcion: should speak] against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (-44)
11 When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, don’t be anxious how or what you will answer, or what you will say;
12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that same hour what you must say.
+ 13 One of the multitude said to him, (72) “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.
+ 14 But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge ~or an arbitrator~ over you?” (-72)
+ 16 He spoke a parable to them, saying, (63) “The ground of a certain rich man produced abundantly.
+ 17 He reasoned within himself, saying, ‘What will I do, because I don’t have room to store my crops?’
+ 18 He said, ‘This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.

+ 19 I will tell my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.”
+ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. (-63) The things which you have prepared—whose will they be?’
Last edited by mlinssen on Sat May 22, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 28 times in total.
mlinssen

Re: Marcion and Thomas in all of Luke

Post by mlinssen »

Luke 12.22-40, seek first the kingdom, treasure in heaven, the parable of the wakeful servants, a thief.

+ 22 (36) He said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, don’t be anxious for your life, what you will eat, nor yet for your body, what you will wear.
+ 23 Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing.
+ 24 Consider the ravens: they don’t sow, they don’t reap, they have no warehouse or barn [Marcion: nor do they gather into barns], and God feeds them. How much more valuable are you than birds!
+ 25 Which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his height?
+ 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow. They don’t toil, neither do they spin [ML note: most of this is from Oxyrhynchus copy] (-36); yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28 But if this is how God clothes the grass in the field, which today exists, and tomorrow is cast into the oven [Epiphanius attests 12.28a as absent from Marcion, but Tertullian attests God clothes and the grass], how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith?
30 For the nations of the world seek after ~all of~ these things, but ~your~ Father knows that you need these things.
31 But seek God’s Kingdom, and ~all~ these things will be added to you.
32 Don’t be afraid, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the Kingdom.
+ 33 (76) Sell that which you have, and give gifts to the needy. Make for yourselves purses which don’t grow old, a treasure in the heavens that doesn’t fail, where no thief approaches, neither moth destroys. (-76)
35 “Let your waist be dressed and your lamps burning.
36 Be like men watching for their lord, when he returns from the marriage feast; that when he comes and knocks, they may immediately open to him.
37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord will find watching when he comes. Most certainly I tell you that he will dress himself, make them recline, and will come and serve them.
38 They will be blessed if he comes in the second or third [Marcion: evening] watch, and finds them so.
+ 39 (21) But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what hour the thief was coming, he would have watched, and not allowed his house to be broken into. (-21)
40 Therefore be ready also, for the Son of Man is coming in an hour that you don’t expect him.

Luke 12.41-50, the parable of the faithful steward, fire on the earth.

41 Peter said to him, “Lord, are you telling this [Marcion: the] parable to us, or to everybody?
42 The Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise steward, whom his lord will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the right times?
43 Blessed is that servant whom his lord will find doing so when he comes.
44 Truly I tell you, that he will set him over all that he has.
45 But if that servant says in his heart, ‘My lord delays his coming,’ and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken,
46 then the lord of that servant will come in a day when he isn’t expecting him, and in an hour that he doesn’t know, and will cut him in two, and place his portion with the unfaithful.
47 That servant, who knew his lord’s will, and didn’t prepare, nor do what he wanted, will be beaten with many stripes,
48 but he who didn’t know, and did things worthy of stripes, will be beaten with few stripes. To whomever much is given, of him will much be required; and to whom much was entrusted, of him more will be asked.
+ 49 (10) “I came to throw fire on the earth. I wish it were already kindled. (-10)

Luke 12.51-59, not peace but a sword, discerning the times, settle on the way.

+ 51 (16) Do you think that I have come to give peace in [Marcion: to cast peace upon] the earth? I tell you, no, but rather division.
+ 52 For from now on, there will be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
+ 53 They will be divided, father against son, and son against father (-16); and mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother; and mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law, and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
+ 56 You hypocrites! (91) You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky, but how is it that you don’t know ~how~ to interpret this time? (-91)
57 Why don’t you judge for yourselves what is right?
58 For when you are going with your adversary before the magistrate, try diligently on the way to be released from him, lest perhaps he drag you to the judge, and the judge deliver you to the officer, and the officer throw you into prison.
59 I tell you, you will by no means get out of there, until you have paid the very last penny [Marcion: quarter].”

Luke 13.10-22, the healing of a woman bent double, the parables of the mustard seed and the leaven, by cities and villages.

14 The ruler of the synagogue, being indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, said to the multitude, “There are six days in which men ought to work. Therefore come on those days and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day!”
15 Therefore the Lord [or: Jesus] answered him, “You hypocrites! Doesn’t each one of you free his ox or his donkey from the stall on the Sabbath, and lead him away to water?
16 Ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham whom Satan had bound eighteen long years, be freed from this bondage on the Sabbath day?
+ 19 (20) It [Marcion: God's Kingdom] is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and put [Marcion: sowed] in his own garden. It grew and became a large tree, and the birds of the sky live in its branches.” (-20)
+ 20 (96) Again he said, “To what shall I compare God’s Kingdom?
+ 21 It is like yeast, which a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, until it was all leavened.” (-96)

Luke 13.23-35, broad and narrow, a prophet cannot perish, lament over Jerusalem.

25 When once the master of the house has risen up, and has shut the door, and you might begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ then he will answer and tell you, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’
26 Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.’
27 He will say, ‘I tell you, I don’t know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity.
28 There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets [Marcion: righteous ones] coming into God’s Kingdom, and yourselves being thrown [Marcion: kept] outside.
+ 30 Behold, (4) there are some who are last who will be first, and there are some who are first who will be last.” (4)

Luke 14.1-14, the healing of a man with dropsy, the best seats, the resurrection of the righteous.

12 He also said to the one who had invited him, “When you make a dinner or a supper, don’t call your friends, nor your brothers, nor your kinsmen, nor rich neighbors, or perhaps they might also return the favor, and pay you back.
14 and you will be blessed, because they don’t have the resources to repay you. For you will be repaid in the resurrection of the righteous.”

Luke 14.15-35, the parable of the great supper, take up your cross, counting the costs, salting the salt.

+ 16 (64) But he said to him, “A certain man made a great supper, and he invited many people.
+ 17 He sent out his servant at supper time to tell those who were invited, ‘Come, for everything is ready now.’
+ 18 They all as one began to make excuses. “The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please have me excused.’
19 “Another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I must go try them out. Please have me excused.’
+ 20 “Another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I can’t come.’
+ 21 “That servant came, and told his lord these things. Then the master of the house, being angry [Marcion: disturbed], said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor, maimed, blind, and lame.’
22 “The servant said, ‘Lord, it is done as you commanded, and there is still room.
+ 23 “The lord said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
+ 24 For I tell you that none of those men who were invited will taste of my supper.’ ” (-64)
+ 26 (101) “If anyone comes to me, and doesn’t disregard his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he can’t be my disciple. (-101)
+ 27 (55) Whoever doesn’t bear his own cross, and come after me, can’t be my disciple. (-55)

Luke 15.1-10, the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin.

3 He told them this parable.
+ 4 (107) “Which of you men, if you had one hundred sheep, and lost one of them, wouldn’t leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one that was lost, until he found it? (-107)
5 When he has found it, he carries it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
6 When he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’
7 I tell you that even so there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance.
8 Or what woman [or: who], if she had ten drachma coins, if she lost one drachma coin, wouldn’t light a lamp, sweep the house, and seek diligently until she found it?
9 When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the drachma which I had lost.’
10 Even so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence ~of the angels~ of God over one sinner repenting.

Luke 16.1-17, the parable of the shrewd steward, the law.

1 He also said to his disciples, “There was a certain rich man who had a manager. An accusation was made to him that this man was wasting his possessions.
2 He called him, and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear about you? Give an accounting of your management, for you can no longer be manager.’
4 I know what I will do, so that when I am removed from management, they may receive me into their houses.
5 Calling each one of his lord’s debtors to him, he said to the first, ‘How much do you owe to my lord?’
6 He said, ‘A hundred batos of oil.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’
7 Then he said to another, ‘How much do you owe?’ He said, ‘A hundred cors of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’
9 I tell you, make for yourselves friends by means of unrighteous mammon, so that when you fail, they may receive you into the eternal tents.
10 He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much. He who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.
11 If therefore you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
12 If you have not been found faithful in that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own [Marcion: mine]?
+ 13 (47) No one servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. (-47) You aren’t able to serve God and Mammon.
14 The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard all these things, and they scoffed at him.
15 He said to them,You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts. For that which is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.
16 The law and the prophets were until John. From that time [Marcion: from whom] the Good News of God’s Kingdom is preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.
+ 17 (11) But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one tiny stroke of a pen in the law to fall [Marcion: than for one tiny stroke of a pen in my words to pass away].(11)

Luke 16.18-31, against divorce, the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

18 Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery. He [Marcion: everyone] who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery [Marcion: is likewise an adulterer].
19 “Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in purple and fine linen, living in luxury every day.
20 A certain beggar, named Lazarus, was taken to his gate, full of sores,
21 and desiring to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Yes, even the dogs came and licked his sores [Marcion: wounds].
22 The beggar died, and he was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died, and was buried.
23 In Hades, he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far off, and Lazarus at his bosom.
24 He cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue! For I am in anguish in this flame.’
25 “But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that you, in your lifetime, received your good things, and Lazarus, in the same way, bad things. But here he is now comforted, and you are in anguish.
26 Besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, that those who want to pass from here to you are not able, and that no one may cross over from there to us [Marcion: hither].’
27 “He said, ‘I ask you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house;
28 for I have five brothers there, that he may testify to them, so they won’t [Marcion: lest they] also come into this place of torment.
29 “But Abraham [Marcion: he] said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets there. Let them listen to them.’
30 “He said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’
31 “He said to him,If they don’t listen [Marcion: didn't listen] to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded [Marcion: listen to one] if one rises [Marcion: comes back] from the dead.’”

Luke 17.1-19, on scandals, rebuking and forgiving, forgiving seven times, unprofitable servants, the healing of ten lepers.

1 He said to the disciples, “It is impossible that no occasions of stumbling should come, but woe to him through whom they come!
2 It would be better [Marcion: profitable] for him if a millstone were to be hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, rather than that he should cause one of these little ones to stumble.
3 Be careful. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him. If he repents, forgive him.
4 If he sins against you seven times in the day, and seven times returns, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.
+ 6 The Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, (48 / 106) you would tell this sycamore tree, ‘Be uprooted, and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. (-48 / -106)
11 As he was on his way to Jerusalem, he was passing along the borders of Samaria and Galilee.
12 As he entered into a certain village, ten men who were lepers met him, who stood at a distance.
14a When he saw them, he sent them away and said to them [Marcion locates 4.27 at approximately this point], 4.27 “There were many lepers in Israel in the time [Marcion: days] of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed, except Naaman, the Syrian.” [Marcion now returns to chapter 17.]
14b “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” As they went, they were cleansed.
15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice.
16 He fell on his face at Jesus’ feet, giving him thanks; and he was a Samaritan.
17 Jesus answered, “Weren’t the ten cleansed? But where are the nine?
18 Were there none found who returned to give glory to God, except this foreigner?
19 Then he said to him, “Get up, and go your way. Your faith has healed you.

Luke 17.20-37, when and where, like lightning, as in the days of Noah and Lot, housetop and field, finding and losing, one taken, another left.

+ 20 (113 / 3) Being asked by the Pharisees when God’s Kingdom would come, he answered them,God’s Kingdom doesn’t come with observation;
+ 21 neither will [Marcion: do] they say, ‘Look, here!’ or, Look, there!’ for behold, God’s Kingdom is within you.” (-113 / -3)
+ 22 (38) He said to the disciples, “The days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it.(-38)
25 But first, he [Marcion: the Son of Man] must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.
26 As it was in the days of Noah, even so will it be also in the days of the Son of Man.
28 Likewise, even as it was in the days of Lot: they ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built;
32 Remember Lot’s wife!
+ 34 (61) I tell you, in that night there will be two people in one bed. One will be taken and the other will be left. (-61)

Luke 18.1-17, the parable of the widow and the judge, the parable of the tax collector and the Pharisee, suffer the children.

1 He also spoke a parable to them that they must always pray, and not give up,
2 saying, “There was a certain judge in a certain city who didn’t fear God, and didn’t respect man.
3 A widow was in that city, and she often came to him, saying, ‘Defend me from my adversary!’
5 yet because this widow bothers me, I will defend her, or else she will wear me out by her continual coming.’”
7 Won’t God avenge his chosen ones who are crying out toward him day and night, and yet he exercises patience with them?
10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of men, extortionists, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.’
13 But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn’t even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.
+ 16 Jesus summoned them, saying, “Allow the little children to come to me, and don’t hinder them, (22) for God’s [Marcion: the] Kingdom of the heavens belongs to such as these. (-22)

Luke 18.18-34, the rich ruler, forsaking all, the third passion prediction.

18 A certain ruler asked him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
19 Jesus asked him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good, except one: God [Epiphanius has: Do not call me good; one is good: God the father].”
20 Now the other said,You know the commandments [Epiphanius has: I know the commandments]: ‘Don’t commit adultery,’ ‘Don’t murder,’ ‘Don’t steal,’ ‘Don’t give false testimony,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’
21 He said, “I have observed all these things from my youth up.”
22 When Jesus heard these things, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have, and distribute it to the poor. Then you will have treasure in heaven. Come, follow me.”
23 But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was very rich.

Luke 18.35-43, the healing of a blind man.

35 As he came near Jericho, a certain blind man also sat by the road, begging.
36 Hearing a multitude going by, he asked what this meant.
37 They told him that Jesus of Nazareth was passing by.
38 He cried out, “Jesus, you son of David, have mercy on me!”
39 Those who led the way rebuked the blind man himself, that he should be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “You son of David, have mercy on me!”
40 Standing still, Jesus commanded him to be brought to him. When he had come near, he asked him,
41 “What do you want me to do for you?He said, “Lord, that I may see again.”
42 Jesus answered and said to him, “Receive your sight. Your faith has healed you.”
43 Immediately he received his sight and followed him, glorifying God. All the people, when they saw it, praised God.

Luke 19.1-10, Jesus and Zacchaeus.

6 He hurried, came down, and received him joyfully.
8 Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, “Behold, Lord, half of my goods I give to the poor. If I have wrongfully exacted anything of anyone, I restore four times as much.
9 Jesus said to him,Today, salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham.
10 For the Son of Man came ~to seek and~ to save that which was lost.

Luke 19.11-27, the parable of the pounds.

11 As they heard these things, he went on and told a parable, because he was near Jerusalem, and they supposed that God’s Kingdom would be revealed immediately.
13 He called ten servants of his and gave them ten mina coins [or: each a mina coin], and told them, ‘Conduct business until I come.’
22 “He said to him,Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant! You knew that I am an exacting man, taking up that which I didn’t lay down, and reaping that which I didn’t sow.
23 Then why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank, and at my coming, I might have earned interest on it?
26 ‘For I tell you that to everyone who has, will more be given; but from him who doesn’t have, even that which he thinks he has will be taken away from him.

Luke 19.28-48, the triumphal entry, the stones will cry out, the hour of visitation, the temple incident.

+ 40 (19) He answered them, “I tell you that if these were silent, the stones would cry out.” (-19)

Luke 20.1-18, by what authority, the parable of the tenants.

1 On one of those days, as he was teaching the people in the temple [Marcion locates this phrase at 20.19, according to Epiphanius] and preaching the Good News, the priests [Marcion: the Pharisees] and scribes came to him with the elders.
4 the baptism of John, was it from heaven, or from men?
5 They reasoned with themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say, ‘Why didn’t you believe him?’
6 But if we say, ‘From men,all the people will stone us, for they are persuaded that John was a prophet.”
7 They answered that they didn’t know where it was from.
8 Jesus said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.”
+ 9 (65) He began to tell the people this parable. “A man planted a vineyard, and rented it out to some farmers, and went into another country for a long time.
+ 10 At the proper season, he sent a servant to the farmers to collect his share of the fruit of the vineyard. But the farmers beat him, and sent him away empty.
+ 11 He sent yet another servant, and they also beat him, and treated him shamefully, and sent him away empty.
+ 12 He sent yet a third, and they also wounded him, and threw him out.
+ 13 The lord of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son. It may be that seeing him, they will respect him.’
+ 14 “But when the farmers saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, ‘This is the heir. Come, let’s kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.’
+ 15 They threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. (-65) What therefore will the lord of the vineyard do to them?
+ 17 But he looked at them and said, “Then what is this that is written, (66) ‘The stone which the builders rejected was made the chief cornerstone?’ (-66)

Luke 20.19-26, render unto God.

19 On one of those days, as he was teaching in the temple [Marcion locates this phrase from 20.1 at this point, according to Epiphanius] the chief priests and the scribes sought to lay hands on him that very hour, but they feared the people—for they knew he had spoken this parable against them.
+ 22 (100) Is it lawful for us to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?
+ 24 Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription [or: likeness] are on it?” They answered, “Caesar’s.”
+ 25 He said to them, “Then give to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”(-100)

Luke 20.27-47, marriage in the resurrection, the son of David, beware the scribes.

27 Some of the Sadducees came to him, those who deny that there is a resurrection.
28 They asked him,Teacher, Moses wrote to us that if a man’s brother dies having a wife, and he is childless, his brother should take the wife and raise up children for his brother.
29 There were therefore seven brothers. The first took a wife, and died childless.
30 The second took her as wife, and he died childless.
31 The third took her, and likewise the seven all left no children, and died.
33 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife of them will she be? For the seven had her as a wife.
34 Jesus answered and said to them, “The children of this age marry, and are given in marriage.
35 But those who are considered worthy [Marcion: whom God considered worthy] to attain to [Marcion: of] that age, the inheritance, and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.
36 For they can’t [Marcion: won't] die any more, for they are like the angels, and are children of God, being children of the resurrection.
39 Some of the scribes answered [Marcion: said], “Teacher, you speak well.”
41 He said to them,Why do they say that the Christ is David’s son?
44 “David therefore calls him Lord, so how is he his son?

Luke 21.1-11, the widow and the mites, not one stone, the signs from heaven.

+ 6 (71) “As for these things which you see, the days will come, in which there will not be left here one stone on another that will not be thrown down.” [ML note: dubious; only justified if Mark precedes Luke here] (-71)
7 They [Marcion: the disciples] asked him,Teacher, so when will these things be? What is the sign that these things are about to happen?
8 He said, “Watch out that you don’t get led astray, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he [Marcion: the Christ],’ and, ‘The time is at hand.’ Therefore don’t follow them.
9 When you hear of wars and disturbances, don’t be terrified, for these things must happen first, but the end won’t come immediately.”
10 Then he said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
11 There will be great earthquakes, famines, and plagues in various places. There will be terrors and great signs from heaven.

Luke 21.12-19, delivered up.

12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you up to synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for my name’s sake.
13 It will turn out as a testimony and salvation for you.
14 Settle it therefore in your hearts not to meditate beforehand how to answer,
15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to withstand or to contradict.
16 You will be handed over even by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends. They will cause some of you to be put to death.
17 You will be hated by all men for my name’s sake.
19 “By your endurance you will win your lives [Marcion: save yourselves].

Luke 21.20-28, the armies encircling Jerusalem, days of vengeance, coming on the clouds.

20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is at hand.
+ 23 (79) Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who nurse infants in those days! (-79) For there will be great distress in the land, and wrath to this people.
25 There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars; and on the earth anxiety of nations, in perplexity as for the roaring of the surging sea and the waves;
26 men fainting for fear, and for expectation of the evil things which are coming on the world: for the very powers of the heavens will be shaken.
27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming from the heavens in a cloud with power and great glory.
28 But when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is near.

Luke 21.29-38, the second parable of the fig tree, be alert, teaching in the temple.

29 He told them a parable.See the fig tree and all the trees.
30 When they are already budding forth fruit, you [Marcion: men] see it and know by your own selves that the summer is already nearing.
31 Even so you also, when you see these things happening, know that God’s Kingdom is near.
32 Most certainly I tell you, this generation [Marcion: heaven and earth] will not pass away until [Marcion: except] all things are [Marcion: be] accomplished.
+ 33 (111) Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away [Marcion: remain forever]. (-111)
34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly.
35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth.
37 Every day Jesus was teaching in the temple, and every night he would go out and spend the night on the mountain that is called Olivet.
38 All the people came early in the morning to him in the temple to hear him.

Luke 22.1-13, the plot to kill Jesus, preparations for the Passover.

1 Now the feast of unleavened bread, which is called the Passover, was approaching.
3 Satan entered into Judas, who was also called Iscariot, who was counted with the twelve.
4 He went away, and talked with the chief priests and captains about how he might deliver him to them.
5 They were glad, and agreed to give him money.
8 Jesus sent Peter and John, saying [Marcion: said to Peter and the rest], “Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat.

Luke 22.14-20, bread and cup.

14 When the hour had come, he sat down with the twelve apostles.
15 He said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer,
17 He received a cup, and when he had given thanks, he said, “Take this, and share it among yourselves,
19 He, after they had dined, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke, and gave it to them, saying,This is my body which is given for you. Do this in memory of me.”
20 Likewise, he took the cup after supper, saying,This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Luke 22.21-38, one of you will betray me, the kings of the gentiles, denials predicted, two swords.

22 The Son of Man indeed goes, as it has been determined, but woe to that man through whom he is betrayed!
33 He said to him, “Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death!”
34 He said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster will by no means crow today until you deny that you know me three times.”

Luke 22.39-65, Gethsemane, betrayed with a kiss, Peter at the fire, the smiting of Jesus.

41 He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and he knelt down and prayed,
47 While he was still speaking, behold, a multitude, and he who was called Judas, one of the twelve, was leading them. He came near to Jesus to kiss him and said....
48 But Jesus said to him, “Judas, do you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?

Luke 22.66-71, Jesus before the Sanhedrin.

66 As soon as it was day, the assembly of the elders of the people were gathered together, both chief priests and scribes, and they led him away into their council, saying,
67 “If you are the Christ, tell us.But he said to them,If I tell you, you won’t believe,
69 From now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God.
70 They all said, “Are you then the Son of God?” He said to them,You say it, because I am.”
71 They said, “Why do we need any more witness? For we ourselves have heard from his own mouth!”

Luke 23.1-25, to Pilate, Jesus before Pilate and Herod.

1 The whole company of them rose up and brought him before Pilate.
2 They began to accuse him, saying,We found this man perverting the nation, destroying the law and the prophets, forbidding paying taxes to Caesar, misleading women and children, and saying that he himself is Christ, a king.
3 Pilate asked him,Are you the King [Marcion: Christ] of the Jews?” He answered him, “So you say.”
7 When he found out that he was in Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem during those days.
8 Now when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceedingly glad, for he had wanted to see him for a long time, because he had heard many things about him. He hoped to see some miracle done by him.
18 But they all cried out together, saying, “Away with this man! Release to us Barabbas!”—
19 one who was thrown into prison for a certain revolt
22 He said to them the third time, “Why? What evil has this man done? I have found no capital crime in him. I will therefore chastise him and release him.”
23 But they were urgent with loud voices, asking that he might be crucified. Their voices and the voices of the chief priests prevailed.
25 He released him who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, for whom they asked, but he delivered Jesus up to their will.

Luke 23.26-43, Simon of Cyrene, daughters of Jerusalem, the crucifixion of Jesus.

+ 29 For behold, the days are coming in which they will say, (79) ‘Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.’(-79)
32 There were also others, two criminals, led with him to be put to death.
33 When they came to the place that is called The Place of Skull, they crucified him there with the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left.
34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.” Dividing his garments among them, they cast lots.

Luke 23.44-56, the death of Jesus, watching from afar, the crucifixion and burial of Jesus.

44 It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour.
45 The sun was eclipsed [Marcion: darkened], and the veil of the temple was torn in two.
46 Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I will commit my spirit!” Having said this, he breathed his last.
50 Behold, a man named Joseph, who was a member of the council, a good and righteous man
51 (he had not consented to their counsel and deed), from Arimathaea, a city of the Jews, who was also waiting for God’s Kingdom:
52 this man went to Pilate, and asked for Jesus’ body.
53 He took it [Marcion: the body] down, and wrapped it in a linen cloth, and laid him in a new tomb that was cut in stone, where no one had ever been laid.
55 The women, who had come with him out of Galilee, followed after, and saw the tomb, and how his body was laid.
56 They returned and prepared spices and ointments. On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment [Marcion: the law].

Luke 24.1-12, the visit to the tomb, the announcement to the eleven, Peter at the tomb.

1 But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they and some others came to the tomb, bringing the spices which they had prepared.
3 They entered in, and didn’t find the Lord Jesus’ body.
4 While they were greatly perplexed about this, behold, two men [Marcion may have two angels instead] stood by them in dazzling clothing.
5 Becoming terrified, they bowed their faces down to the earth. They said to them,Why do you seek the living among the dead?
6 He isn’t here, but is risen. Remember what things he told you when he was still in Galilee,
7 saying that the Son of Man must be delivered up into the hands of sinful men and be crucified, and the third day rise again?
8 They remembered his words,
9 returned from the tomb, and told all these things to the eleven [or: disciples] and to all the rest.
11 These words seemed to them to be nonsense, and they didn’t believe them.

Luke 24.13-35, the appearance on the road.

13 Behold, two of them were going that very day to a village named Emmaus, which was sixty stadia from Jerusalem.
15 While they talked and questioned together, Jesus himself came near, and went with them.
16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him.
18 One of them, named Cleopas, answered him, “Are you the only stranger in Jerusalem who doesn’t know [or: do you not know] the things which have happened there in these days?”
19 He said to them, “What things?” They said to him, “The things concerning Jesus, the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people;
21 But we were hoping [Marcion: supposing] that it was he who would [Marcion: was] the redeemer of Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things happened.
25 He said to them,Foolish men, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken [Marcion: was spoken to you]!
26 Didn’t the Christ have to suffer these things and to enter into his glory?”
30 When he had sat down at the table with them, he took the bread and gave thanks. Breaking it, he gave it to them.
31 Their eyes were opened and they recognized him, then he vanished out of their sight.

Luke 24.36-53, the appearance to the eleven in Jerusalem, the ascension.

37 But they were terrified and filled with fear, and supposed that they had seen a spirit [Marcion: phantom].
38 He said to them,Why are you troubled? Why do doubts arise in your hearts?
39 See my hands and my feet, that it is truly me. ~Touch me and see~, for a spirit doesn’t have ~flesh and~ bones, as you see that I have.”
41 While they still didn’t believe for joy, and wondered, he said to them,Do you have anything there to eat?
42 They gave him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb.
43 He took them, and ate in front of them.
47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Last edited by mlinssen on Fri May 21, 2021 6:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Well,

that's it. Gone through all of Marcion, copied it all, and about a handful other verses / logia

This is it. I'll cross-check tomorrow, but this is Marcion adding the narrative on top of Thomas, and it is evident how Thomas inspires him to make up some stuff of his own.
And all the bogus parables aren't in Marcion, that indeed is Luke's work - save for the lost mina, it seems. It's late, sorry

It is Friday May 21st 1:55 AM, the year 2021
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Well, over half of the 115 logia is in Luke, but I knew that already.
12 of those are unattested for "in Marcion" by our so very dubious sources

My theory still stands:
  • Thomas started it all with just a text, heavily inspired by Tao-like Eastern thought of non-duality. If anything, it was and still is vehemently anti-religious, and anti-Judaic in particular
  • Marcion turns it into a story, perhaps somewhat of an epos even, by weaving a story around the protagonist of Thomas, IS, who tours Palestine while elevating the themes of Thomas in miraculous ways: healing the sick (logion 14 / 74). He goes further than that and also expels demons, and raises from the dead. At the end IS dies, and rises from the dead.
    It is Marcion who turns Thomas into religion, swapping the father for God and cleverly redirecting the complete rejection of any and all prayer, fasting and giving alms to that other target of Thomasine despise: the scribes and Pharisees. Two birds with one stone! And Marcion could thence just sell his religion like any other, and he made sure to ditch the Thomasine "the kingdom is already here" as well as the "if you fast you beget yourself a sin" polemics directed against religion.
  • Paul is clearly selling a Gentile religion to Judeans, trying his utmost to talk his way out of all the anti-Judaic stuff. He counters that by feeding his Judaic audience Tanakh arguments and prophecies as reasons for validation of this entirely new Gawd that is so unlike what is written in their books. He substitutes their Law with the new core ingredient of faith as he simply must come up with compelling arguments for the "righteousness" of the Gentiles outweighing that of them and he turns IS into an even greater figure, a true Messiah.
  • Mark takes that story and amplifies it, turning Marcion's story into one that neatly fulfils prophecies from Judaism. He gives the John of Thomas and Marcion a "real" job as a prophet and turns him into his ForeRunner who baptises, although there are no details on baptism in any of the NT. Mark supplies Marcion's story with a very solid (yet crude and brusque) footing in Judaism by "fulfilling" Tanakh Scripture.
  • Luke takes Marcion and fills it up with Mark's additions, while adding a birth narrative and genealogy, and it is highly likely that the author of Matthew did this, given the verbatim agreement between the two. It really doesn't take much to create a birth narrative and genealogy and then some, copy Marcion, and then write your own gospel based on that work plus Mark and Thomas as secondary sources. The verbatim agreement between Luke, Matthew and Justin Martyr is just stunning
As such, we have a more or less fluid process of co-creation where a story gets bigger and fatter while it progresses through time and politics.
If the Temple indeed was destroyed in 70 CE (which I highly doubt) then Thomas must have been written before that moment, although it is hard to say how much time progressed between writing the text and the "catching on" of it.
It is highly likely that the demand by Judaics for this new "religion" was augmented by a diminished supply of their own, and Bar Kokhba is a likely and reliable example of the latter, with Judaism being outlawed thoughout all of Palestine. Would a Jewish War in 70-ish CE do so? The Judeans got their asses kicked continuously for centuries, I don't see how a little war like that would have made a difference - unless the Temple got destroyed, and only Josephus is our witness there.
As much as Mark perhaps would have liked for his Jesus to be not so very anti-Judaic, he couldn't drop that core aspect anymore - some fictions simply become historic facts at some point, impossible to "deny"

There is no Judaism or Tanakh material in any of Marcion, but that is not because he took it out. The "Church" copied him and managed to reverse the accusation of fraud: they successfully spread the lie that Marcion copied them, in stead of vice versa

One caveat: when I read Tertullian and Epiphanius in Ben's thread in a highly critical fashion, much of what they say is "mere rambling" and doesn't attest to either presence or absence of the material in Marcion - it is very well possible that a good minority of what they say is not in Marcion but merely serves to tell their own story

One major argument: all, really all of them, try to prove that it is really their gospel by going back to the very source: Thomas.
ALL OF THEM add more Thomasine material to their gospel compared to what what was done before them. In the very end we have more than 70 parallels with Thomas in the NT, where Marcion just starts out with 30- something (I'll expand this post with the real numbers and verses in the next days).
And as I'm coming to see now, each next author added a bit of Thomas next to a bit of "Thomasine" material of himself
Last edited by mlinssen on Tue May 25, 2021 6:49 am, edited 10 times in total.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Stuart wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:20 am Danny Mahar did it years ago:

http://www.marcionite-scripture.info/Ma ... _Bible.htm
Did what?
Distil only the gospel of Marcion and precisely mark the parallels with Thomas?
mlinssen

Only that of Marcion which is Thomas (plus all of Luke which also is)

Post by mlinssen »

Quickie, have to see whether it really helps:

- Only those parts of Marcion that are Thomasine
- Plus everything else of Thomas that can be found in Luke, so we know what the differences are between the three, with Thomas being the pivotal point

Luke 3.1-38, John the baptist, the preaching and imprisonment of John, the baptism and genealogy of Jesus.
Luke 4.31-37, teaching with authority and the exorcism of the Capernaum demoniac.
Luke 4.16-30, rejection at Nazareth.
+ 23 He said to them, “Doubtless you will tell me this parable, (31) Physician, heal yourself! (-31) Whatever we have heard done at Capernaum, do also here in your hometown.’ ”
+ 24 He said, “Most certainly I tell you, (31) no prophet is acceptable in his hometown. (-31)
Luke 4.38-44, the healing of the mother-in-law of Peter, the evening healings, departing from Capernaum, and in the synagogues.
Luke 5.1-11, the call of the first disciples.
Luke 5.12-16, the healing of a leper.
Luke 5.17-26, the healing of a paralytic.
Luke 5.27-32, the call of Levi, tax collectors and sinners.
+ 30 (14) Their scribes and the Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?
+ 31 Jesus answered them, “Those who are healthy have no need for a physician, but those who are sick do. (14)
Luke 5.33-39, the controversy over fasting.
+ 33 They said to him, (104) “Why do John’s disciples often fast and pray, likewise also the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink?
+ 34 He said to them, The friends of the bridechamber cannot fast as long as [Marcion: while] the bridegroom is with them, can they?
+ 35 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them. Then they will fast in those days.” (-104)
+ 36 He also told a parable to them. (47)“No one puts a piece of unshrunk fabric from a new garment on an old garment, or else he will tear the new, and also the piece from the new will not match the old.
+ 37 No one puts new wine into old wine skins, or else the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed.
+ 38 But new wine must be put into fresh wine skins, and both are preserved.
+ 39 No man having drunk old wine immediately desires new, (-47) for he says, ‘The old is better.’ ”
Luke 6.1-11, plucking grain on the sabbath, the healing of a man with a withered hand.
Luke 6.12-26, the commission of the twelve, the sermon on the plain, a great multitude, the beatitudes, the woes.
+ 20 He lifted up his eyes to his disciples, and said, (54)“Blessed are you [Marcion: the] who are poor, God’s Kingdom is yours [Marcion: theirs(-54)].
+ 21 (69) Blessed are you [Marcion: they] who hunger now, for you [Marcion: they] will be filled. (-69) Blessed are you [Marcion: they] who weep now, for you [Marcion: they] will laugh.
+ 22 (68) Blessed are you when men shall hate you, and when they shall exclude (-68) and mock you, and throw out your name as evil, for the Son of Man’s sake.
Luke 6.27-36, on revenge and enemies.
+ 34 (95) If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back again, (-95) what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much.
Luke 6.37-49, on judgment, by their fruits, do as I say, the parable of the wise and foolish builders.
+ 39 He spoke a parable to them. (34) “Can the blind guide the blind? Won’t they both fall into a pit? (-34)
+ 41 (26) Why do you see the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye, but don’t consider the beam that is in your own eye?
+ 42 Or how can you tell your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck of chaff that is in your eye,’ when you yourself don’t see the beam that is in your own eye? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye. (-26)
+ 43 (43) For there is no good tree that produces rotten fruit; nor again a rotten tree that produces good fruit. (-43)
+ 44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. (45) For people don’t gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush.
+ 45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings out that which is good, and the evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings out that which is evil, for out of the abundance of the heart, his mouth speaks. (-45)
Luke 7.1-17, the healing at the request of a centurion, the raising of the dead son in Nain.
Luke 7.18-35, the inquiry of John the baptist.
+ 24 When John’s messengers had departed, he began to tell the multitudes about John, (78) “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind?
+ 25 But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft clothing? Behold, those who are gorgeously dressed, and live delicately, are in kings’ courts.
+ 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? (-78) Yes, I tell you, and much more than a prophet.
+ 28 “For I tell you, (46) among those who are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptizer, yet he who is least in God’s Kingdom is greater than he.” (-46)
+ 31 (21) “To what then should I compare the people of this generation? What are they like?
+ 32 They are like children who sit in the marketplace (-21)
, and call to one another, saying, ‘We piped to you, and you didn’t dance. We mourned, and you didn’t weep.’
Luke 7.36-50, the anointing of Jesus.
Luke 8.1-18, the female followers of Jesus, by the lake, the parable of the sower and explanation, the mysteries of the kingdom, on the nature of parables.
+ 5 (9) “The farmer went out to sow his seed. As he sowed, some fell along the road, and it was trampled under foot, and the birds of the sky devoured it.
+ 6 Other seed fell on the rock, and as soon as it grew, it withered away, because it had no moisture.
+ 7 Other fell amid the thorns, and the thorns grew with it, and choked it.

+ 8 Other fell into the good ground, and grew, and produced one hundred times as much fruit.” As he said these things, he called out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!” (9)
+ 10 (62) He said, “To you it is given to know the mysteries (-62) of God’s Kingdom, but to the rest in parables; that ‘seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.’
+ 16 (33) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a container, or puts it under a bed; but puts it on a stand, that those who enter in may see the light. (-33)
+ 17 (6) For nothing is hidden that will not be revealed; nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. (-6)
+ 18 Be careful therefore how you hear. (41) For whoever has, to him will be given; and whoever doesn’t have, from him will be taken away even that which he thinks he has.” (-41)
Luke 8.19-25, the family of Jesus, the calming of the lake.
+ 21 (99) But he answered them,My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God, and do it. [Marcion: Who is my mother and who are my brothers except these who hear my words and do them?]” (-99)
Luke 8.26-39, the exorcism of the Gadarene demoniac.
Luke 8.40-56, the raising of the daughter of Jairus, the healing of a hemorrhaging woman.
Luke 9.1-11, the mission of the twelve, John the baptist risen.
+ 2 (14) He sent them out to preach God’s Kingdom and to heal the sick.
+ 4 Into whatever house you enter, stay there, and depart from there.
+ 5 As many as don’t receive you, (-14) when you depart from that city, shake off even the dust from your feet for a testimony against them.
Luke 9.12-17, the feeding of the five thousand.
Luke 9.18-27, who do you say that I am, the first passion prediction, take up your cross, finding and losing, before my father.
+ 20 (13) He said to them,But who do you say that I am?Peter answered,The Christ of God [Marcion: you are the Christ].” (-13)
+ 23 (55) He said to all, “If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. (-55)
Luke 9.28-36, the transfiguration.
Luke 9.37-50, the exorcism of a boy, the second passion prediction, receiving the sender, for or against us.
Luke 9.51-62, journeying to Jerusalem, fire from heaven, following Jesus.
+ 58 (86) Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” (-86)
Luke 10.1-20, the mission of the seventy, woe to the cities, receiving the sender, the fall of Satan.
+ 2 (73) Then he said to them, “The harvest is indeed plentiful, but the laborers are few. Pray therefore to the Lord of the harvest, that he may send out laborers into his harvest. (-73)
+ 5 (14) Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’
+ 7 Remain in that same house, eating and drinking the things they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Don’t go from house to house.
+ 8 Into whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat the things that are set before you.
+ 9 Heal the sick who are therein, (-14) and tell them,God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’
Luke 10.21-42, revealed to babes, blessed are your eyes and ears, the greatest commandment, the good Samaritan, Mary and Martha.
+ 23 Turning to the disciples, (38) he said privately, “Blessed are the eyes which see the things that you see,
+ 24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see the things which you see, and didn’t see them, and to hear the things which you hear, and didn’t hear them.” (-38)
+ 27 He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; (25) and your neighbor as yourself.”(-25)
Luke 11.1-13, the paternoster, a friend at midnight, ask, seek, knock.
+ 9 “I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. (94) Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you.
+ 10 For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened. (-94)
Luke 11.14-28, the controversy over Beezebul, the seven spirits, blessed the womb and breasts.
+ 21 (21) “When the strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe. (21)
+ 22 (35) But when someone stronger attacks him and overcomes him, he takes from him his whole armor in which he trusted, and divides his plunder. (35)
+ 27 It came to pass, as he said these things, (79) a certain woman out of the multitude lifted up her voice, and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which nursed you!”
+ 28 But he said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and keep [Marcion: do] it.” (-79)
Luke 11.29-54, the sign of Jonah, the lamp of the body, woe to the Pharisees and lawyers.
+ 33 (33) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, that those who come in may see the light [Marcion: it might shine on all]. (-33)
+ 34 (24) The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore when your eye is good, your whole body is also full of light; but when it is evil, your body also is full of darkness.
+ 35 Therefore see whether the light that is in you isn’t darkness.
+ 36 If therefore your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly full of light (24), as when the lamp with its bright shining gives you light.”

+ 39 The Lord [or: Jesus] said to him,Now you Pharisees (89) cleanse the outside of the cup and of the platter, but your inward part (-89) is full of extortion and wickedness.
+ 40 You foolish ones, (89) didn’t he who made the outside make the inside also?(-89)
+ 42 (102) But woe to you Pharisees! (-102) For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, but you bypass justice and God’s love. You ought to have done these, and not to have left the other undone.
+ 43 (102) Woe to you Pharisees! (-102) For you love the best seats in the synagogues, and the greetings in the marketplaces.
+ 52 Woe to you (39) lawyers! For you took away the key of knowledge. You didn’t enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in, you hindered.”(-39)
Luke 12.1-9, the leaven of the Pharisees, fear not, before the angels.
+ 2 (6) But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known. (-6)
+ 3 (33) Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light. What you have spoken in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops. (-33)
Luke 12.10-21, the sin against the spirit, delivered up, who made me judge, the parable of the rich fool.
+ 10 (44) Everyone who speaks [Marcion: should speak] a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme [Marcion: should speak] against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (-44)
+ 13 One of the multitude said to him, (72) “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.
+ 14 But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge ~or an arbitrator~ over you?” (-72)
+ 16 He spoke a parable to them, saying, (63) “The ground of a certain rich man produced abundantly.
+ 17 He reasoned within himself, saying, ‘What will I do, because I don’t have room to store my crops?’
+ 18 He said, ‘This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.

+ 19 I will tell my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.”
+ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. (-63) The things which you have prepared—whose will they be?’
Luke 12.22-40, seek first the kingdom, treasure in heaven, the parable of the wakeful servants, a thief.
+ 22 (36) He said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, don’t be anxious for your life, what you will eat, nor yet for your body, what you will wear.
+ 23 Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing.
+ 24 Consider the ravens: they don’t sow, they don’t reap, they have no warehouse or barn [Marcion: nor do they gather into barns], and God feeds them. How much more valuable are you than birds!
+ 25 Which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his height?
+ 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow. They don’t toil, neither do they spin [ML note: most of this is from Oxyrhynchus copy] (-36); yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
+ 33 (76) Sell that which you have, and give gifts to the needy. Make for yourselves purses which don’t grow old, a treasure in the heavens that doesn’t fail, where no thief approaches, neither moth destroys. (-76)
+ 39 (21) But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what hour the thief was coming, he would have watched, and not allowed his house to be broken into. (-21)
Luke 12.41-50, the parable of the faithful steward, fire on the earth.
+ 49 (10) “I came to throw fire on the earth. I wish it were already kindled. (-10)
Luke 12.51-59, not peace but a sword, discerning the times, settle on the way.
+ 51 (16) Do you think that I have come to give peace in [Marcion: to cast peace upon] the earth? I tell you, no, but rather division.
+ 52 For from now on, there will be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
+ 53 They will be divided, father against son, and son against father (-16); and mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother; and mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law, and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
+ 56 You hypocrites! (91) You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky, but how is it that you don’t know ~how~ to interpret this time? (-91)
Luke 13.10-22, the healing of a woman bent double, the parables of the mustard seed and the leaven, by cities and villages.
+ 19 (20) It [Marcion: God's Kingdom] is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and put [Marcion: sowed] in his own garden. It grew and became a large tree, and the birds of the sky live in its branches.” (-20)
+ 20 (96) Again he said, “To what shall I compare God’s Kingdom?
+ 21 It is like yeast, which a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, until it was all leavened.” (-96)
Luke 13.23-35, broad and narrow, a prophet cannot perish, lament over Jerusalem.
+ 30 Behold, (4) there are some who are last who will be first, and there are some who are first who will be last.” (4)
Luke 14.1-14, the healing of a man with dropsy, the best seats, the resurrection of the righteous.
Luke 14.15-35, the parable of the great supper, take up your cross, counting the costs, salting the salt.
+ 16 (64) But he said to him, “A certain man made a great supper, and he invited many people.
+ 17 He sent out his servant at supper time to tell those who were invited, ‘Come, for everything is ready now.’
+ 18 They all as one began to make excuses. “The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please have me excused.’
+ 20 “Another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I can’t come.’
+ 21 “That servant came, and told his lord these things. Then the master of the house, being angry [Marcion: disturbed], said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor, maimed, blind, and lame.’
+ 23 “The lord said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
+ 24 For I tell you that none of those men who were invited will taste of my supper.’ ” (-64)
+ 26 (101) “If anyone comes to me, and doesn’t disregard his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he can’t be my disciple. (-101)
+ 27 (55) Whoever doesn’t bear his own cross, and come after me, can’t be my disciple. (-55)

Luke 15.1-10, the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin.
+ 4 (107) “Which of you men, if you had one hundred sheep, and lost one of them, wouldn’t leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one that was lost, until he found it? (-107)
Luke 16.1-17, the parable of the shrewd steward, the law.
+ 13 (47) No one servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. (-47) You aren’t able to serve God and Mammon.
+ 17 (11) But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one tiny stroke of a pen in the law to fall [Marcion: than for one tiny stroke of a pen in my words to pass away].(11)
Luke 16.18-31, against divorce, the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.
Luke 17.1-19, on scandals, rebuking and forgiving, forgiving seven times, unprofitable servants, the healing of ten lepers.
+ 6 The Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, (48 / 106) you would tell this sycamore tree, ‘Be uprooted, and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. (-48 / -106)
Luke 17.20-37, when and where, like lightning, as in the days of Noah and Lot, housetop and field, finding and losing, one taken, another left.
+ 20 (113 / 3) Being asked by the Pharisees when God’s Kingdom would come, he answered them,God’s Kingdom doesn’t come with observation;
+ 21 neither will [Marcion: do] they say, ‘Look, here!’ or, Look, there!’ for behold, God’s Kingdom is within you.” (-113 / -3)
+ 22 (38) He said to the disciples, “The days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it.(-38)
+ 34 (61) I tell you, in that night there will be two people in one bed. One will be taken and the other will be left. (-61)
Luke 18.1-17, the parable of the widow and the judge, the parable of the tax collector and the Pharisee, suffer the children.
+ 16 Jesus summoned them, saying, “Allow the little children to come to me, and don’t hinder them, (22) for God’s [Marcion: the] Kingdom of the heavens belongs to such as these. (-22)
Luke 18.18-34, the rich ruler, forsaking all, the third passion prediction.
Luke 18.35-43, the healing of a blind man.
Luke 19.1-10, Jesus and Zacchaeus.
Luke 19.11-27, the parable of the pounds.
Luke 19.28-48, the triumphal entry, the stones will cry out, the hour of visitation, the temple incident.
+ 40 (19) He answered them, “I tell you that if these were silent, the stones would cry out.” (-19)
Luke 20.1-18, by what authority, the parable of the tenants.
+ 9 (65) He began to tell the people this parable. “A man planted a vineyard, and rented it out to some farmers, and went into another country for a long time.
+ 10 At the proper season, he sent a servant to the farmers to collect his share of the fruit of the vineyard. But the farmers beat him, and sent him away empty.
+ 11 He sent yet another servant, and they also beat him, and treated him shamefully, and sent him away empty.
+ 12 He sent yet a third, and they also wounded him, and threw him out.
+ 13 The lord of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son. It may be that seeing him, they will respect him.’
+ 14 “But when the farmers saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, ‘This is the heir. Come, let’s kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.’
+ 15 They threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. (-65) What therefore will the lord of the vineyard do to them?
+ 17 But he looked at them and said, “Then what is this that is written, (66) ‘The stone which the builders rejected was made the chief cornerstone?’ (-66)

Luke 20.19-26, render unto God.
+ 22 (100) Is it lawful for us to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?
+ 24 Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription [or: likeness] are on it?” They answered, “Caesar’s.”
+ 25 He said to them, “Then give to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”(-100)
Luke 20.27-47, marriage in the resurrection, the son of David, beware the scribes.
Luke 21.1-11, the widow and the mites, not one stone, the signs from heaven.
+ 6 (71) “As for these things which you see, the days will come, in which there will not be left here one stone on another that will not be thrown down.” [ML note: dubious; only justified if Mark precedes Luke here] (-71)
Luke 21.12-19, delivered up.
Luke 21.20-28, the armies encircling Jerusalem, days of vengeance, coming on the clouds.
+ 23 (79) Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who nurse infants in those days! (-79) For there will be great distress in the land, and wrath to this people.
Luke 21.29-38, the second parable of the fig tree, be alert, teaching in the temple.
+ 33 (111) Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away [Marcion: remain forever]. (-111)
Luke 22.1-13, the plot to kill Jesus, preparations for the Passover.
Luke 22.14-20, bread and cup.
Luke 22.21-38, one of you will betray me, the kings of the gentiles, denials predicted, two swords.
Luke 22.39-65, Gethsemane, betrayed with a kiss, Peter at the fire, the smiting of Jesus.
Luke 22.66-71, Jesus before the Sanhedrin.
Luke 23.1-25, to Pilate, Jesus before Pilate and Herod.
Luke 23.26-43, Simon of Cyrene, daughters of Jerusalem, the crucifixion of Jesus.
+ 29 For behold, the days are coming in which they will say, (79) ‘Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.’(-79)
Luke 23.44-56, the death of Jesus, watching from afar, the crucifixion and burial of Jesus.
Luke 24.1-12, the visit to the tomb, the announcement to the eleven, Peter at the tomb.
Luke 24.13-35, the appearance on the road.
Luke 24.36-53, the appearance to the eleven in Jerusalem, the ascension.
Last edited by mlinssen on Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
mlinssen

Thomas parables in all of Marcion and the NT

Post by mlinssen »

The parables of Thomas and the canonicals, according to my Two types of Jesus parables: canonical vs Thomasine - like night and day: https://www.academia.edu/40951733/Two_t ... ht_and_day

If I'm correct, the gospel co-creation story is a fairly simple and plain one and every next stage comes not with removing present core material, but mostly with adding more from its source, Thomas, while also adding new core material: the writer's input.
In Marcion, that's religion: he takes Thomas and turns it into religion, apart from making an epos out of it.
In Mark, that's Judaism, Tanakh and Scripture fulfillment: he takes Marcion and turns IS into a Messiah.
In Luke, that's ownership: he follows Mark and copies Marcion and adds all the parables that are not in Thomas, 10 of them - and Matthew will add 4 more from Thomas, next to 4 of his own. That's what I have thought for the past years, but it's incorrect. So the question becomes: what does Luke really add, besides being the most verbatim to Thomas of all the canonicals?

But, with this reconstruction, it would seem that Marcion added the lost coin, the dishonest manager, Lazarus, persistent widow, tax collector, and the 10 coins. And the weight becomes nicely balanced with Marcion already starting the "owning" process by introducing his own "Thomasine" material.
That would seem to make sense in many aspects, most especially the fact that those are "crazy stories", whereas the two debtors, good Samaritan, barren fig tree and prodigal son are more mundane stories.
Mark has nothing that Luke doesn't have, parables nor straightforward Thomas logia, except for the very garbled Mark 4:26-29 that most don't count as a parallel anyway, and that's the last step to verify for me: did Mark leave out Marcion material? If anything, it should be little in quantity but certainly in quality

Code: Select all

Thomas          Mark            Luke            Matthew
The parable of the strong man          Logion 35       Mark 3:27       Luke 11:21-22   Matt 12:29 
The parable of the sower               Logion 9        Mark 4:3-8      Luke 8:5-15     Matt 13:3-9 
The parable of the seed and the weed   Logion 57       Mark 4:26-29                    Matt 13:24-30 
The parable of the mustard seed        Logion 20       Mark 4:30-32    Luke 13:18-19   Matt 13:31-32 
The parable of the tenants             Logion 65, 66   Mark 12:1-11    Luke 20:9-18    Matt 21:33-44 
The parable of the budding fig tree                    Mark 13:28-31   Luke 21:29-33   Matt 24:32-35 
The parable of the faithful servant    Logion 21, 103  Mark 13:34-37   Luke 12:35-40   Matt 24:42-44 
The parable of the two debtors                                         Luke 7:41-43  
The parable of the good Samaritan                                      Luke 10:30-35  
The parable of the rich fool           Logion 63                       Luke 12:16-21  
The parable of the barren fig tree                                     Luke 13:6-9  
The parable of the leaven Logion 96                                    Luke 13:20-21   Matt 13:33 
The parable of the wedding feast       Logion 64                       Luke 14:16-24   Matt 22:2-14 
The parable of the lost sheep          Logion 107                      Luke 15:4-7     Matt 18:12-14 
The parable of the lost coin                                           Luke 15:8-10  
The parable of the prodigal son                                        Luke 15:11-32  
The parable of the dishonest manager                                   Luke 16:1-8  
The rich man and the beggar Lazarus                                    Luke 16:19-31  
The parable of the persistent widow                                    Luke 18:1-8  
The Pharisee and the tax collector                                     Luke 18:9-14  
The parable of the ten coins                                           Luke 19:12-27   Matt 25:14-30 
The parable of the hidden treasure     Logion 109                                      Matt 13:44 
The parable of the pearl               Logion 76                                       Matt 13:45-46 
The parable of the net Logion 8                                                        Matt 13:47-50 
The parable of the unforgiving servant                                                 Matt 18:23-35
Labourers in the vineyard                                                              Matt 20:1-16 
The parable of the two sons                                                            Matt 21:28-31 
The parable of the ten virgins                                                         Matt 25:1-12
mlinssen

Thomas / Synoptics parallels; Excel notes

Post by mlinssen »

Created for my 72 logia paper, I hereby release my Excel notes in the hope that it will lead to a joint effort to "squeeze" Marcion in between Thomas and the Synoptics - and Paul, which isn't in the workbook either

As you will notice, I have gone by everything and marked them all, yet not all of them made it into the paper.
Some even made it into the paper and were discussed, only to be discarded. I used the "a-e / 0-5" system because it seemed appropriate at the time, but it is a little too fine-grained perhaps
Thomas Gospels Parallels v10Marcion.xlsx
Research to '72 logia'
(87.57 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
mlinssen

Gospel soup: ingredients reused and added from Thomas through Matthew

Post by mlinssen »

I created a quickie the other day, the GospelSoup: viewtopic.php?p=123474#p123474

Meant to be lighthearted and slightly mocking, it is not a bad idea really

There are ingredients to Thomas that get reused throughout its further development, and some ingredients get added along the way as well.
I'll go by this post repeatedly and edit it, feedback welcome as usual. And I do hope that it will be constructive criticism that points out the flaws yet also demonstrates what the better options are

These are the themes in Thomas:
  • Anti-Judaic
    • Directed against the Pharisees as an institute or group
      • Pharisees are hiding the real knowledge (39, 34, 50, 66, 74, 102)
      • Pharisees don't live according to their rules (43, 53, 65, 85, 102)
    • Directed against Judaic customs
      • The concept of heaven in heaven is nonsense, it's right here on earth and everywhere, and anyone can attain it (3, 11, 12, 111)
      • Typical Judaic customs such as fasting and praying are nonsense and even harmful (6, 14, 88, 93, 104)
  • Self-critical
    • Relentlessly seek and question everything in sight
      • Look at everyone and everything around you with fully objective eyes (5, 8, 10, 16, 40, 55, 68, 78, 99)
      • Observe and recognise how your life unfolds (11, 17, 26, 36, 37, 47, 57, 87, 89, 97, 98, 101, 113)
    • Make the two one again
      • Provide yourself with the proper environment (2, 9, 15, 20, 21, 24, 27, 31, 45, 49, 50, 60, 69, 75, 94)
      • Become like a child (4, 13, 18, 19, 22, 29, 37, 46, 48, 79, 80, 86, 106)
There are general themes in Thomas as well, perhaps sketching the scenery or providing the background against which the above themes unfold:
  • Consisting mostly of parables filled with allegories
    • Human
      • Living and being dead
      • Dressing and disrobing
    • Natural
      • Throwing out nets and catching fish
      • Sowing and harvesting
  • Rich use of contrasting metaphors
    • Physical
      • Dead and alive, rich and poor, old and young
      • Thirsty and drunk, hungry and fed, seeing and perceiving, hearing and understanding
    • Natural
      • Seed becomes plant, plant and bear fruit
      • Light and dark
As such, there are 4 main ingredients, each with two sub-ingredients:
  1. Anti-Judaic
    1. Directed against the Pharisees as an institute or group
    2. Directed against Judaic customs
  2. Self-critical
    1. Relentlessly seek and question everything in sight
    2. Make the two one again / become like a child
  3. Consisting mostly of parables filled with allegories
    1. Human
    2. Natural
  4. Rich use of contrasting metaphors
    1. Physical
    2. Natural
Marcion
  • Marcion takes 1a and 1b and combines them, so that he can circumvent the Thomasine anti-religious attitude in general and turn Thomas into a religion
  • Marcion ignores (2) although he makes sure to apply 2a and 2b in a literal sense instead of taking it figuratively as the "becoming born again" as John understands it correctly
  • Marcion understands and uses (3) and reuses (3a) but doesn't seem particularly fond of (3b)
  • I have yet to go through Marcion, my knowledge of him is less than a week old - to be continued
  • CONTRIBUTION of Marcion is turning it all into a religion: a new ingredient and we'll number it [5]
  • MOTIVATION of Marcion is unknown
  • OPPORTUNITY of Marcion is unknown
Paul
  • Paul is not happy with the way that Marcion applies (1) but tries to mitigate the hell out of it (help! please LOL)
  • Paul ignores (2) completely
  • Paul ignores (3) completely
  • Paul loves (4) and forwards flesh / blood / spirit / soul, which Marcion has mostly neglected
  • Paul is very happy with (5) and is in full control of it, not surprisingly so because he got all of it from a vision by "Jesus"
  • CONTRIBUTION of Paul is turning it all towards Judaism and turning "Jesus" into a Messiah: he sells the "Gentile" product of Marcion to a Judaic audience. The new ingredient is Judaic phropecy fulfilled and we'll call it [6]
  • MOTIVATION of Paul is to sell it to Judeans / those acquainted with Judaism
  • OPPORTUNITY of Paul is perhaps a sharply declined supply of Judaism worship, highly likely caused by Bar Kokhba and not by 70 CE
Mark
  • Mark seems to ignore the efforts of Paul regarding (1) and continues where Marcion left off
  • Mark follows Marcion regarding (2) and engages in name-droping of the word "child(ren)" a lot. Mark also creates Mark 10:8
  • Mark follows Marcion regarding (3) and invents one himself
  • Mark follows Marcion regarding (4) over Paul
  • Mark pretends to not know anything regarding (5), his story is about a living Jesus "just doing his thing" and he follows Marcion there
  • Mark follows Paul regarding (6) and heavily adds to the Tanakh pile, turning Johannes the Immerser even into the forerunner of "Jesus" who now has become a true Messiah
  • CONTRIBUTION of Mark is turning "Jesus" into a true Messiah and bringing him really to life. Does he add a new ingredient? Perhaps that he goes too far with the pragmatic anti-Judaisms, such as his declaring all foods clean in Mark 7:19? Romans 14:20 still seems to me to indicate that Mark preceded Paul, I keep going back and forth between the two
  • MOTIVATION of Mark is to sell it to Romans and to widen the Judaic Scripture base
  • OPPORTUNITY of Mark perhaps is an increased attention in Rome for this new foreign religion, or simply to take Paul's angle and "Marcionise" it
Luke
  • Luke seems to be fine regarding (1) and continues where Mark left off, even adding to it (although that clearly is the Matthew in him if you ask me)
  • Luke follows Mark regarding (2) and moves closer to Thomas for the word "child(ren)". In general Luke moves very, very close to Thomas
  • Luke follows Mark regarding (3) though he adds some of Thomas and also invents a few himself
  • Luke follows Mark regarding (4)
  • Luke follows Mark regarding (5) and seems to absolutely not care about it
  • Luke tries to mitigate Mark regarding (6)
  • CONTRIBUTION of Luke is repossessing Marcion
  • MOTIVATION of Luke is to win the war with Marcion and steal his religion for good - apparently it's all out in the open now
  • OPPORTUNITY of Luke is unknown
Then it's Matthew left. He undid most of the damage done by Mark and its evidently part of the maturity phase in the religionising process with his overall threatening of people into believing (or else!)

John? John is so very close to Thomas and Marcion, yet wears the Christian coat - on the surface. His spirituality points to an early stage in the process yet his story is Christian. It world be grand if we had parallels between Marcion and John - perhaps John sits in between Thomas and Marcion initially, though that can't be the finished product that we hold in our hands now

Minor soup ingredients added

A bit of notes
  • Mark: adds Judas as a traitor, Marcion didn't have him (Naturally, he is meant to represent the author of Thomas)

Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.17: Elenchus 60. What lunacy of Marcion's! Who 'communed' but Judas? And to do what, but to 'deliver' the Saviour?
  • Mark: adds 'priests' to the scribes and Pharisees
  • Luke: adds 'lawyer' to the scribes and Pharisees on 2 or 3 occasions. Is that because Marcion has those - meaning die Marcion have those? Nomikos - perhaps Marcion held a grudge
  • Mark: makes John a Baptiser and a prophet, as insignificantly small as his role is. It will come to haunt all who come after him, it's one of his biggest mistakes
  • Marcion: creates the beatitudes (he sticks to the Thomasine "blessed are those" versus "you"). Why does Mark leave those out then?