Carry your satyr in my way - said Dionysus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Re: That’s One Long Dong

Post by robert j »

mlinssen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:18 am
... that was then and now is now, and a full LSJ search has lead me to στερρός: Stiff

Recognizing the limitations with off-the-shelf translations, but this is just an exercise. Taking an available translation of certain passages from the NHL, but using Linssen’s interpretation and translation** of the word/symbol/ligature (ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ) present in the Coptic text that he calls a “stirogram” ---

He who has been anointed possesses everything. He has the resurrection, the light, the hard-on (ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ), the Holy Spirit. The Father gave him this in the bridal chamber; he received. The Father was in the Son and the Son in the Father … (modified from the Gospel of Phillip, 101-102, or in some 74.20)

The Lord answered and said, "Verily I say I unto you, none will be saved unless they believe in my boner (ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ). (modified from the Apocryphon of James, 6.5)

They were hitting me with the reed; another was the one who lifted up the boner (ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ) on his shoulder, who was Simon. (modified from the Second Treatise of the Great Seth, 56.10)

ETA: I'm afraid some might see the sacred being sullied by the profane with this forthright post. It's not my intention to offend anyone.

ETA2: For clarification, I included (more) staurogram ligatures (ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ), what Linssen calls a “stirogram” when found in the Coptic texts from the NHL.

** pages 457-495 ---
https://www.academia.edu/46974146/Compl ... n_content_

These from Linssen ---

It is evident that there are two separate traditions here: Copts who know that this is a stirogram, and Greeks who (can only) assume that it is a staurogram. (p. 486)

So, if it is Ti-Rho and ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ can't mean Stauros for that reason, what can it mean? …

There is only one word that remains, and while it is an adjective, it will just have to do:

στερρός …

… stiff, firm, solid …
… of water, frozen …
… stiff, numb with age …
… hard, rugged, uneasy …
… metaph., stubborn, hard, cruel …

When the word is turned into a substantive, its meaning is obvious: 'a stiff'; an erection, a hard-on. (p. 489)

Last edited by robert j on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

robert j wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:29 pm
mlinssen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:18 am
... that was then and now is now, and a full LSJ search has lead me to στερρός: Stiff

Recognizing the limitations with off-the-shelf translations, but this is just an exercise. Taking an available translation of certain passages from the NHL, but using Linssen’s interpretation and translation** of the word/symbol/ligature present in the Coptic text that he calls a “stirogram” ---

He who has been anointed possesses everything. He has the resurrection, the light, the hard-on, the Holy Spirit. The Father gave him this in the bridal chamber; he received. The Father was in the Son and the Son in the Father … (modified from the Gospel of Phillip, 101-102, or in some 74.20)

The Lord answered and said, "Verily I say I unto you, none will be saved unless they believe in my boner. (modified from the Apocryphon of James, 6.5)

They were hitting me with the reed; another was the one who lifted up the boner on his shoulder, who was Simon. (modified from the Second Treatise of the Great Seth, 56.10)

** pages 457-495 ---
https://www.academia.edu/46974146/Compl ... n_content_

These from Linssen, the [bracket] is mine --- ---

It is evident that there are two separate traditions here: Copts who know that this is a stirogram, and Greeks who (can only) assume that it is a staurogram. (p. 486)

So, if it is Ti-Rho and [the ligature] can't mean Stauros for that reason, what can it mean? …

There is only one word that remains, and while it is an adjective, it will just have to do:

στερρός …

… stiff, firm, solid …
… of water, frozen …
… stiff, numb with age …
… hard, rugged, uneasy …
… metaph., stubborn, hard, cruel …

When the word is turned into a substantive, its meaning is obvious: 'a stiff'; an erection, a hard-on. (p. 489)

ETA: I'm afraid some might see the sacred being sullied by the profane with this forthright post. It's not my intention to offend anyone.
Claiming Thomas to be a sacred text is based on what exactly?
Someone said it's sacred and that poses certain limitations to what others so with it?

Ah right. Could I then just claim that my Commentary is sacred and would that make you refrain from commenting on it?

Not that I would want that, but just as an example
robert j

Post by robert j »

My point here is that ---

--- for the occurrences of the ligature in the Coptic NHL, you have your work cut out for you to shoehorn the evidence and your translations to fit with your “stirogram”.

mlinssen wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:56 pm
robert j wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:29 pm

He who has been anointed possesses everything. He has the resurrection, the light, the hard-on, the Holy Spirit. The Father gave him this in the bridal chamber; he received. The Father was in the Son and the Son in the Father … (modified from the Gospel of Phillip, 101-102, or in some 74.20)

I didn't make that claim. I was only concerned some others might find portions of the post offensive, such as the citation from Phillip with your “stirogram” in the translation. The "ETA" was intended for my entire post, not specifically for the direct citations from your Commentary on Thomas.
Ah right. Could I then just claim that my Commentary is sacred and would that make you refrain from commenting on it?

I'll leave you to your Thread here, and to your Thomas Commentary, at least for now.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

robert j wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:37 pm My point here is that ---

--- for the occurrences of the ligature in the Coptic NHL, you have your work cut out for you to shoehorn the evidence and your translations to fit with your “stirogram”.
While not pertaining to my comment, it seems that you want to persevere your quest - then tell me how I shoehorn anything when I observe all the evidence before drawing a conclusion
I didn't make that claim. I was only concerned some others might find portions of the post offensive, such as the citation from Phillip with your “stirogram” in the translation.
I didn't say that you did, did I?
Yet you obviously seem to assume that others may consider it sacred - so you must have some arguments there, even when you didn't come up with them yourself

I'll leave you to your Thread here, and to your Thomas Commentary, at least for now.
What are you doing on this forum but declining the most rudimentary and basic invitations to simple dialogue?

Why?
Leucius Charinus

Re: Carry your satyr in my way - permanent erection and ejaculation

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:14 am
mlinssen wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:26 am
Thomas calls to "Carry your satyros in my way", and that can only mean that he has a permanently erect penis - metaphysically speaking
Satyr ....... = σάτυρος (translit. sátyros)
Satirist ..... = σατυριστής

Are these words related? What is the Greek word for "satire" ?

Was Thomas a satirist? (e.g. My yoke is "Chrestos")

My mistake. Logion 55 says "carry his ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ" rather than "carry your satyros". I was confused.
mlinssen

Re: Carry your satyr in my way - permanent erection and ejaculation

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:01 am
Leucius Charinus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:14 am
mlinssen wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:26 am
Thomas calls to "Carry your satyros in my way", and that can only mean that he has a permanently erect penis - metaphysically speaking
Satyr ....... = σάτυρος (translit. sátyros)
Satirist ..... = σατυριστής

Are these words related? What is the Greek word for "satire" ?

Was Thomas a satirist? (e.g. My yoke is "Chrestos")

My mistake. Logion 55 says "carry his ⲥ⳨ⲟⲥ" rather than "carry your satyros". I was confused.
I have various versions while I progress through the translation, it has said both. May say something else at some point, this is a very tough one