Dating works in the Coptic language

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Hold a candle to your ear? Or eye?!

Post by neilgodfrey »

mlinssen wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:26 am
neilgodfrey wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:23 am
mlinssen wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:07 am
You don't light a lamp and then hold it to your ear: to your eye, ya dummy! It is hilarious, but they didn't get it. The Coptic word is ⲙⲁⲁϫⲉ,
I suggest the joke is on the child of the electricity age. Hold a lamp to your eye and you see nothing but the flame. Hold it to the side of your eye -- say closer to your ear -- you get a good view of what is exposed by the light.

search.jpg
As this is yet another attempt by you to derail a thread or comment by me via adding some goofy picture accompanied by a meaningless comment, I will now ask you to refrain from behaving like a troll

If you want to add value to any thread or comment in here, fine.
If you merely want to give your own opinion, that's fine too. But these postings of yours are nothing but childish and foolish interjections that appear to be only aimed at trolling
No, mlinssen -- my point goes directly to your justification for the priority of coptic Thomas. You say the coptic reference to the ear is a JOKE and that proves its priority -- the JOKE was not understood by later derivatives of the Coptic saying.

My comment is deadly serious and goes to the heart of your rationale. Without the joke your argument for Coptic priority falls flat on its face.

There is no joke. No joke. No priority.

The saying about the ear makes no sense as it is -- it certainly makes no sense as a joke. Therefore, your case collapses. At least for that particular saying -- which is the title of the thread! Deadly serious and deadly relevant.
mlinssen

Re: Hold a candle to your ear? Or eye?!

Post by mlinssen »

neilgodfrey wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:02 am No, mlinssen -- my point goes directly to your justification for the priority of coptic Thomas. You say the coptic reference to the ear is a JOKE and that proves its priority -- the JOKE was not understood by later derivatives of the Coptic saying.

My comment is deadly serious and goes to the heart of your rationale. Without the joke your argument for Coptic priority falls flat on its face.

There is no joke. No joke. No priority.

The saying about the ear makes no sense as it is -- it certainly makes no sense as a joke. Therefore, your case collapses. At least for that particular saying -- which is the title of the thread! Deadly serious and deadly relevant.
I appear to have neglected your response here Neil.
No, the joke doesn't demonstrate anything - the word ⲙⲁⲁϫⲉ was unintelligible to the Greek copyist and Luke has it as σκεῦος, http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... Dskeu%3Dos as a result: a vessel, a thingy, a bon descript j'en that can cover something.
Then Mark moves in and is determined to make sense of it, and uses a modius, an 8.5 litre measure of/for grain

Tell me how they came first and Thomas decided to turn it into an ear, or at the very least, a 'measure':

https://coptic-dictionary.org/entry.cgi?tla=C2330

You will have noticed, I hope, that there is no difference in concealing something under a measure and putting something in a hidden place, hence why the bed is introduced as that at least it's a different way of not putting a candle / lamp to use.
Matthew ain't stupid of course and oversees the whole arena, and decides to drop it

The joke only is the reason for Thomas picking ⲙⲁⲁϫⲉ - and the joke is on the canonicals as usual