Carrier, Aretas and Damascus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Carrier, Aretas and Damascus

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:52 am About 2 Corinthians 11:32-33.
If a reader interprets this passage as referring to a “paper apostle” Paul, a “Paul” who supposedly did not actually exist, what then would prevent such an interpreter from interpreting a “paper Aretas” and a “paper Damascus” and a “paper basket”?
For heavens sake Stephen - do I really need to spell this out for you? :banghead: :confusedsmiley: :eek: :lol: :facepalm:
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

In other words, if you presume Paul is fictional, why presume the remainder of these two verses is non-fictional?
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:20 am In other words, if you presume Paul is fictional, why presume the remainder of these two verses is non-fictional?
:banghead:
StephenGoranson

Or, if there were no "Paul" to go to Damascus, why insist on Aretas III?
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

:popcorn:
StephenGoranson wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:45 am Or, if there were no "Paul" to go to Damascus, why insist on Aretas III?
StephenGoranson

So, you don't know?
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:09 am So, you don't know?
StephenGoranson

Because you (mh) have not explained why the travel of a person that you assert did not exist (Paul) could fictionally travel (actually not-travel) *only* during the non-fictional time that you assert, I am not persuaded.

Advice from you (mh) to read history books concerning the post-Hasmonean period—though I do read such sometimes—might seem peculiar, since you apparently mistrust much that is mentioned in them.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:32 am Because you (mh) have not explained why the travel of a person that you assert did not exist (Paul) could fictionally travel (actually not-travel) *only* during the non-fictional time that you assert, I am not persuaded.

Advice from you (mh) to read history books concerning the post-Hasmonean period—though I do read such sometimes—might seem peculiar, since you apparently mistrust much that is mentioned in them.
StephenGoranson

In other words, that cherry-picking of what is fiction and not does not cohere into a plausible narrative, much less history.