Teacher of Righteousness case as potential guide for some NT research

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
StephenGoranson

Teacher of Righteousness case as potential guide for some NT research

Post by StephenGoranson »

The Qumran-view Teacher of Righteousness (TR), imo, lived before the NT-mentioned individuals including John Baptist, James/Jacob, Jesus, Paul, and Pilate. Carbon 14 date ranges (with more results so far published only preliminarily) show that several Qumran manuscripts are older than the NT-writing era.

I, though I'm not the first, have given reasons to conclude that the TR was Judah the Essene and that the Qumran-view Wicked Priest (WP) was Alexander Jannaeus.

Instead of retyping my reasons (I am apparently a slower typist than some others here), let me give a link To "Jannaeus, His Brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene":

https://people.duke.edu/~goranson/jannaeus.pdf

If the identification of these three contemporary individuals (TR, WP, and Absalom) is valid--which itself is fair game--it could help show something on how subsequent writers treated later individuals.
mlinssen

Re: Teacher of Righteousness case as potential guide for some NT research

Post by mlinssen »

Agreed, Stephen. Especially Judas is of interest. Aristobulus, Hyrcanus II: there is something there

Thank for the link, I'll be reading it with great attention

The great divide between gospels and Romans ff is evident: no priest whatsoever in the latter, save for a ton in Hebrews

viewtopic.php?p=119256#p119256

They really are two sides of a coin, from two different eras perhaps, but certainly from two different viewpoints