Minimal Marcion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Klinghardt's complete Marcion in English - let the (end)games truly begin

Post by MrMacSon »

mlinssen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 am
MrMacSon wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 am
oooooh

.57. "The Eucharist is Yeshua IS. For in Aramaic they call him farisatha1 (#rp)—this is, the outspread. For Yeshua IS came to crucify the world."
(Odes of St Solomon, 27:1-2, ‘I stretched out my hands and sanctified my Lord; for the extension of my hands is his sign’; hyperlinear)

1 https://biblehub.com/hebrew/strongs_6566.htm and https://biblehub.com/hebrew/6566.htm ??
Yes, it is a treasure trove.
  • Yep.
mlinssen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 am I have decided to rehost his site after piecing it back together from how it was a month before he passed away, expanded with (only!) the necessary make-over and update, and fixing of a few dozen refs that always had been broken. And I replaced the stained glass pic with that of freelyreceive.net, just for the hell of it

Check out his CV, it's below his link at the top of the landing page.
  • wow, that's terrific eg.

Activities:

1938: Born and circumcised in the Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri; baptized in the Methodist Church (with water from the Jordan River brought back by a missionary friend of Sally's); parents: Zara Lyle Brown (1903-1992; BA Kansas 1925, Bell Telephone executive, superlative ragtime pianist and baritone, outdoorsman) & Sally Hardeman Crosby (1910-1992; watercolor artist and classical pianist—as an adolescent performed privately for both Paderewski and Rachmaninov; ‘I played something for him, and then he played something for me’) ...

1959: Drinking too much beer in a futile attempt to placate existential student anxiety ...

1969: Began studies of the Nag Hammadi Library, via the Coptic/English edition of the Gospel of Thomas by Guillaumont et alia (Biblio.6) ...

mlinssen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 am Click the Crum link on that same page, click the Plumley link. He made everyone else look like a petty amateur, and his work simply is marvellously sublime. Basically my Translation is little more than his one, although he was "one of those Yeshua-sayers" and it shows: he didn't think of translating colostrum with colostrum, that simply had to say leaven - yet still, he was the very best by far, and the most forthcoming, much more so than the alleged literal translation by Grondin. Brown even has emendations in his interlinears, yet not in the "regular translation" - still, that is much more than everyone else but Guillaumont and Layton have
  • :thumbup:
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:18 am
oooooh x 2

.51. The Apostles who preceded us called (him) thus: Yeshua IHS the Nazirite Messiah—this is Yeshua IHS the Nazirite pe.XS [Christ]. The last name is the pe.XS [Christ], the first is Yeshua IS, that in the middle is the Nazirite. ‘Messiah’ has two references: both the anointed and also the measured. 'Yeshua' IS in Hebrew is the atonement. ‘Nazara’ is the truth, therefore the Nazirite is the true. The p.XS is the measured, the Nazirite and 'Yeshua' IS are the measurement.

https://www.metalogos.org/files/ph_interlin/ph051.html

His interlinear is pristine, his translation not so much.
Read the interlinear and you'll see that the words are NAZWRAIOS (twice) and NAZARHNOS (twice) - but only in the Coptic.
My fingers itch, but I simply can't touch it
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

mlinssen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:55 am His interlinear is pristine, his translation not so much.
Read the interlinear and you'll see that the words are NAZWRAIOS (twice) and NAZARHNOS (twice) - but only in the Coptic.
Yeah, I noticed that ie. "NAZWRAIOS (twice) and NAZARHNOS (twice) - but only in the Coptic"

I wasn't and aren't sure what it meant/means.

and, yeah, his interlinear is pristine
mlinssen

Gospel of Philip vs canonicals: Nazarene / Nazoraios

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:01 am
mlinssen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:55 am His interlinear is pristine, his translation not so much.
Yeah, I noticed that ie. "NAZWRAIOS (twice) and NAZARHNOS (twice) - but only in the Coptic"

I wasn't and aren't sure what it meant/means.

and, yeah, his interlinear is pristine
It means that we have verbatim agreement between the Coptic of Philip and the Greek of the canonicals, which deserves a note as the "Coptic" here consists of Greek loanwords. Direction of dependence? Not going there. Meaning of Philip? Good gracious I have no idea

Matthew 2:23 - Ναζωραῖος
Matthew 4:13 - Ναζαρὰ
Matthew 26:71 - Ναζωραίου
Mark 1:24 - Ναζαρηνέ
Mark 10:47, 14:67 - Ναζαρηνός
Mark 16:6 - Ναζαρηνὸν
Luke 4:16 - Ναζαρά
Luke 4:34 - Ναζαρηνέ
Luke 18:37 - Ναζωραῖος
Luke 24:19 - Ναζαρηνοῦ
John 18:5, 7 - Ναζωραῖον
John 19:9 - ΝΑΖΩΡΑΙΟΣ

There are other verses but they all have Nazaret(h).
I'll pass for Acts ff, haven't checked against NA28