Minimal Marcion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Minimal Marcion

Post by mlinssen »

[EDIT 2021-10-10: I have been reading Klinghardt's reconstruction since yesterday, and it must be said that Roth's reconstruction is repeatedly demonstrated to be inaccurate, inconsistent, and heavily biased towards Lukan priority.
I will leave all this as is, but please do keep in mind that this is a rather faithful reconstruction, just as e.g. most if not all Thomas translations are particularly faithful]

Caveat: I think it is even more minimal than this, but it's better than what we have now

With great many thanks to Ben for his extraordinary work at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1765

I have gone through his thread, and taken only whatever is blue: bold, underlined, italic. According to Ben's post:
  • Words or phrases specifically attested to some degree as present in the Marcionite text, according to Roth, are in blue boldface. Roth specifies several degrees of probability for such verbatim attestation, but I do not replicate those degrees here, since to do so feels to me like a possible breach of intellectual property; instead, I offer the source texts, mainly from Tertullian and Epiphanius, below each section. Roth also specially marks words or phrases whose exact word order in the Marcionite text cannot be reconstructed, but I have ignored the matter of word order completely in this endeavor. Please note that the (degrees of probability range from what Roth calls secure readings all the way down to merely possible readings; one may not, therefore, simply assume that boldfaced blue words and phrases are automatically present in the Marcionite text; they are merely the words and phrases for which Roth apparently feels there is enough evidence to at least debate.
  • Words or phrases generically attested as present in the Marcionite text, according to Roth, but with no way of determining exact wording, are in blue italics.
  • Words or phrases attested as present in Marcion but either absent from or rendered differently in canonical Luke, according to Roth, are underlined in blue boldface (being, virtually by definition, specifically attested as present in the Marcionite text). If the underlined words are replacing Lucan material (that is, if the underlined words are differently rendered in Luke and not merely absent), that replaced (or differently rendered) Lucan material is given first in blue italics, as described above, and then the Marcionite material is given in brackets immediately thereafter.
  • Words or phrases which are not attested either as absent or as present, according to Roth, are in plain black.
  • Words or phrases attested as absent from the Marcionite text, according to Roth, are in red.
  • Words or phrases attested as absent from one part of the catholic Lucan text but present at another location in the Marcionite version, according to Roth, are in purple (= red + blue).
What have I done?
  • Anything blue I have taken, including all of the verse that it is in
  • Where there are parallels with Thomas, I have inserted the logion number between parentheses and preceded the verse by a +-sign. The (sometimes rough) start and end of the match with Thomas is indicated as well
  • I have added linefeeds at the end of every verse, in order to give it some breathing space.
I don't agree with everything in Ben's thread (which basically is not Ben's choice but Roth et al etc) but this is not the place; never change more than one thing at a time or you'll lose traceability

One last disclaimer: this took me about an hour, so naturally it pales in comparison to Ben's perfection where even single letters are marked.
That was not my goal: my goal is to have a minimal version of Marcion

Luke 3.1-38, John the baptist, the preaching and imprisonment of John, the baptism and genealogy of Jesus.

1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor [Marcion: in the times of Pontius Pilate] of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene,

Luke 4.31-37, teaching with authority and the exorcism of the Capernaum demoniac.

31 He came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. He was teaching them on the Sabbath day in the synagogue,
32 And [Marcion: but] they were all astonished at his teaching, for his word was with authority.
34 saying, “Ah! what have we to do with you, Jesus ~of Nazareth~? Have you come to destroy us? I know you who you are: the Holy One of God!
35 Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” When the demon had thrown him down in the middle of them, he came out of him, having done him no harm.

Luke 4.16-30, rejection at Nazareth.

16 He came to Nazara [Marcion: Nazareth], where he had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
+ 23 He said to them, “Doubtless you will tell me this parable, (31>) Physician, heal yourself! (<31) Whatever we have heard done at Capernaum, do also here in your hometown.’ ”
29 They rose up, threw him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill that their city was built on, that they might throw him off the cliff.
30 But he, passing through the middle of them, went his way.

Luke 4.38-44, the healing of the mother-in-law of Peter, the evening healings, departing from Capernaum, and in the synagogues.

40 When the sun was setting, all those who had any sick with various diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.
41 Demons also came out of many, crying out, and saying,You are the Christ, the Son of God!Rebuking them, he didn’t allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the Christ.
42 When it was day, he departed and went into an uninhabited place, and the multitudes looked for him, and came to him, and held on to him, so that he wouldn’t go away from them.
43 But he said to them,I must preach the good news of God’s Kingdom to the other cities also. For this reason I have been sent.”

Luke 5.1-11, the call of the first disciples.

2 He saw two boats standing by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
9 For he was amazed, and all who were with him, at the catch of fish which they had caught;
10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid. For from now on you will be catching people alive.
11 When they had brought their boats to land, they left everything, and followed him.

Luke 5.12-16, the healing of a leper.

12 While he was in one of the cities, behold, there was a man full of leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell on his face, and begged him, saying, “Lord, if you want to, you can make me clean.”
13 He stretched out his hand, and touched him, saying, “I want to. Be made clean.” Immediately the leprosy left him.
14 He commanded him to tell no one, “But go your way, and show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift for your cleansing according to what Moses commanded, for a testimony to them [Marcion: so that this might be for a testimony to you].”

Luke 5.17-26, the healing of a paralytic.

17 On one of those days, he was teaching; and there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every village of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. The power of the Lord was with him to heal them.
18 Behold, men brought a paralyzed man on a cot, and they sought to bring him in to lay before Jesus.
20 Seeing their faith, he said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”
21 The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” (he said to the paralyzed man), “I tell you, arise, and take up your little cot [Marcion: take up your mat], and go to your house.”
26 Amazement took hold on all, and they glorified God. They were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen strange things today.”

Luke 5.27-32, the call of Levi, tax collectors and sinners.

27 After these things he went out, and saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the tax office, and said to him, “Follow me!
30 Their scribes and the Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?

Luke 5.33-39, the controversy over fasting.

33 They said to him,Why do John’s disciples often fast and pray, likewise also the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink?
+ 34 He said to them, (104>) The friends of the bridechamber cannot fast as long as [Marcion: while] the bridegroom is with them, can they?
+ 35 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them. Then they will fast in those days.” (<104)
+ 36 He also told a parable to them. (47>) “No one puts a piece of unshrunk fabric from a new garment on an old garment, or else he will tear the new, and also the piece from the new will not match the old.
+ 37 No one puts new wine into old wine skins, or else the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. (<47)

Luke 6.1-11, plucking grain on the sabbath, the healing of a man with a withered hand.

1 Now on the second Sabbath after the first, he was going through the grain fields. His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate, rubbing them in their hands.
2 But some of the Pharisees said to them, “Why do you do that which is not lawful to do on the Sabbath day?”
3 Jesus, answering them, said,Haven’t you read what David did when he was hungry, he, and those who were with him;
4 how he entered into God’s house on the Sabbath, and took and ate the show bread, and gave also to those who were with him, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests alone?”
5 He said to them, “The Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”
6 It also happened on another Sabbath that he entered into the synagogue and taught. There was a man there, and his right hand was withered.
7 The scribes and the Pharisees watched him, to see whether he would heal on the Sabbath, that they might find an accusation against him.
9 Then Jesus said to them, “I will ask you something: Is it lawful on the Sabbaths to do good, or to do harm [Marcion: not]? To save a life, or to kill?

Luke 6.12-26, the commission of the twelve, the sermon on the plain, a great multitude, the beatitudes, the woes.

12 In these days, he went out [Marcion: ascended] to the mountain to pray, and he continued all night in prayer to God.
13 When it was day, he called his disciples, and from them he chose twelve, whom he also named apostles:
14 Simon, whom he also named Peter; Andrew, his brother; James; John; Philip; Bartholomew;
16 Judas the son of James; and Judas Iscariot, who also became a traitor.
17 He came down with [Marcion: among] them, and stood on a level place, with a crowd of his disciples, and a great number of the people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon and beyond, who came to hear him and to be healed of their diseases;
19 All the multitude sought to touch him, for power came out of him and healed them all.
+ 20 He lifted up his eyes to his disciples, and said, (54>) “Blessed are you [Marcion: the] who are poor, God’s Kingdom is yours [Marcion: theirs]. (<54)
+ 21 (69>) Blessed are you [Marcion: they] who hunger now, for you [Marcion: they] will be filled. (<69) Blessed are you [Marcion: they] who weep now, for you [Marcion: they] will laugh.
+ 22 (68>) Blessed are you when men shall hate you, (<68) and when they shall excludeand mock you, and throw out your name as evil, for the Son of Man’s sake.
23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven, for their fathers did the same thing to the prophets.
24 “But woe to you who are rich! For you have received your consolation.
25 Woe to you, you who are full now, for you will be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.

Luke 6.27-36, on revenge and enemies.

27 “But I tell you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse [Marcion: hate] you, and pray for those who mistreat you.
29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer also the other; and from him who takes away your cloak, don’t withhold your coat also [Marcion: your coat, offer also your cloak to him].
30 Give to everyone who asks you, and don’t ask him who takes away your goods to give them back again.
31 “As you would like people to do [Marcion: happen] to you from men, do exactly so to them also.
+ 34 (95>) If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back again, (<95) what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much.
35 But love your enemies, and do good, and you are to lend without despairing, expecting nothing back; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High [Marcion: of God]; for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil.
36 “Therefore be merciful, even as your Father is ~also~ merciful to you.

Luke 6.37-49, on judgment, by their fruits, do as I say, the parable of the wise and foolish builders.

37 Don’t judge, and [Marcion: so that] you won’t be judged. Don’t condemn, and [Marcion: so that] you won’t be condemned. Set free, and you will be set free.
38 “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be given to you. For with the same measure you measure it will be measured back to you.
+ 39 He spoke a parable to them. (34>) “Can the blind guide the blind? Won’t they both fall into a pit? (<34)
40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.
+ 41 (26>) Why do you see the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye, but don’t consider the beam that is in your own eye?
+ 42 Or how can you tell your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck of chaff that is in your eye,’ when you yourself don’t see the beam that is in your own eye? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye. (<26)
+ 43 (43>) For there is no good tree that produces rotten fruit; nor again a rotten tree that produces good fruit. (<43)
+ 45 (45>) The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings out that which is good, and the evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings out that which is evil, for out of the abundance of the heart, his mouth speaks. (<45)

Luke 7.1-17, the healing at the request of a centurion, the raising of the dead son in Nain.

2 A certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and at the point of death.
9 When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turned and said to the multitude who followed him, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith, no, not in Israel.”
12 Now when he came near to the gate of the city, behold, one who was dead was carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. Many people of the city were with her.
14 He came near and touched the coffin, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I tell you, arise!”
15 He who was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother.
16 Fear took hold of all, and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has arisen among us!” and, “God has visited his people!”

Luke 7.18-35, the inquiry of John the baptist.

18 The disciples of John told him about all these things. John, in prison, calling to himself two of his disciples,
19 sent them to Jesus, saying, “Go and ask him, ‘Are you the one who is coming, or should we look for another?’
20 When the men had come to him, they said, “John the Baptizer has sent us to you, saying, ‘Are you he who comes, or should we look for another?’”
22 Jesus answered them,Go and tell John the things which you have seen and heard: that the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.
23 Blessed is he who finds no occasion for stumbling in me.
+ 24 When John’s messengers had departed, he began to tell the multitudes about John, (78>) “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? (<78)
+ 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and much more than a prophet.
27 This is he of whom it is written, ‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.’
+ 28 “For I tell you, (46>) among those who are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptizer, yet he who is least in God’s Kingdom is greater than he.” (<46)

Luke 7.36-50, the anointing of Jesus.

36 One of the Pharisees invited him to eat with him. He entered into the Pharisee’s house, and sat at the table.
37 Behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that he was reclining in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster jar of ointment.
38 Standing behind at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and she wiped them with the hair of her head, kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
44 Turning to the woman, he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered into your house, and you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head.
45 You gave me no kiss, but she, since the time I came in, has not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 You didn’t anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But one to whom little is forgiven, loves little.
48 He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
50 He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

Luke 8.1-18, the female followers of Jesus, by the lake, the parable of the sower and explanation, the mysteries of the kingdom, on the nature of parables.

2 and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary who was called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out;
3 and Joanna, the wife of Chuzas, Herod’s steward; Susanna; and many others; who also served them [Marcion: him] from their possessions.
4 When a great multitude came together, and people from every city were coming to him, he spoke by a parable.
+ 16 (33>) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a container, or puts it under a bed; but puts it on a stand, that those who enter in may see the light. (<33)
+ 17 (6>) For nothing is hidden that will not be revealed; nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. (<6)
+ 18 Be careful therefore how you hear. (41>) For whoever has, to him will be given; and whoever doesn’t have, from him will be taken away even that which he thinks he has.” (<41)

Luke 8.19-25, the family of Jesus, the calming of the lake.

20 Some people told him, “Your mother and your brothers stand outside, desiring to see you.”
+ 21 (99>) But he answered them,My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God, and do it. [Marcion: Who is my mother and who are my brothers except these who hear my words and do them?]” (<99)
22 Now on one of those days, he entered into a boat, himself and his disciples, and he said to them, “Let’s go over to the other side of the lake.” So they launched out.
23 But as they sailed, he fell asleep. A wind storm came down on the lake, and they were taking on dangerous amounts of water.
24 They came to him, and awoke him, saying, “Master, master, we are dying!” He awoke, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water [Marcion: sea], and they ceased, and it was calm.
25 He said to them, “Where is your faith?” Being afraid they marveled, saying to one another,Who is this then, that he [Marcion: who] commands even the winds and the water [Marcion: sea], and they obey him?”

Luke 8.26-39, the exorcism of the Gadarene demoniac.

27 When Jesus stepped ashore, a certain man out of the city who had demons for a long time met him. He wore no clothes, and didn’t live in a house, but in the tombs.
28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, “What do I have to do with you, Jesus, you Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don’t torment me!
30 Jesus asked him,What is your name?He said, “Legion,” for many demons had entered into him.
31 They begged him that he would not command them to go into the abyss.
32 Now there was there a herd of many pigs feeding on the mountain, and they begged him that he would allow them to enter into those. Then he allowed them.

Luke 8.40-56, the raising of the daughter of Jairus, the healing of a hemorrhaging woman.

42 for he had an only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she was dying. ~But it happened that as he~ [Marcion: ~they~] ~went~, the multitudes pressed against him.
43 A certain woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years, who had spent all her living on physicians and could not be healed by any
44 came behind him, and touched the fringe of his cloak. Immediately the flow of her blood stopped.
45 Jesus [Marcion: the Lord] said, “Who touched me?” When all denied it, Peter and those with him said, “Master, the multitudes press and jostle you, and you say, ‘Who touched me?’”
46 But Jesus said,Someone did touch me, for I also perceived that power has gone out of me.
48 He said to her, “Daughter, cheer up. Your faith has made you well. Go in peace.”

Luke 9.1-11, the mission of the twelve, John the baptist risen.

1 He called the twelve together, and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases.
+ 2 He sent them out to preach God’s Kingdom and (14>) to heal the sick. (<14)
3 He said to them, “Take nothing for your journey—no staffs, nor wallet, nor bread, nor money. Don’t have two coats each.
+ 5 As many as (14>) don’t receive you, (<14) when you depart from that city, shake off even the dust from your feet for a testimony against them.
6 They departed and went throughout cities and the villages, preaching the Good News and healing everywhere.
7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by him; and he was very perplexed, because it was being said by some that John had risen from the dead,
8 and by some that Elijah had appeared, and by others that one of the old prophets had risen again.

Luke 9.12-17, the feeding of the five thousand.

12 The day began to wear away; and the twelve came and said to him, “Send the multitude away, that they may go into the surrounding villages and farms, and lodge, and get food, for we are here in a deserted place.
13 But he said to them, “You give them something to eat.” They said, “We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless we should go and buy food for all these people.”
14 For they were about five thousand men. He said to his disciples, “Make them sit down in groups of about fifty each.”
16 He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to the sky, he blessed them, broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the multitude.
17 They ate and were all filled. They gathered up twelve baskets of broken pieces that were left over.

Luke 9.18-27, who do you say that I am, the first passion prediction, take up your cross, finding and losing, before my father.

18 As he was praying alone, the disciples were with him, and he asked them,Who do the multitudes [Marcion: men] say that I, the son of man, am?
19 They answered, “‘John the Baptizer,but others say, ‘Elijah,and others, that one of the old prophets has risen again.
+ 20 (13>) He said to them,But who do you say that I am?Peter answered,The Christ of God [Marcion: you are the Christ].” (<13)
21 But he warned them, and commanded them to tell this to no one,
22 saying,The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed [or: crucified], and the third day [Marcion: after three days] be raised up.
24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but [Marcion: and] whoever will lose his life [Marcion: it] for my sake, will save it.
26 For whoever will be ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man [Marcion: I] be ashamed, when he comes in his glory, and the glory of the Father, and of the holy angels.

Luke 9.28-36, the transfiguration.

28 About eight days after these sayings, he took with him Peter, John, and James, and went up onto the mountain to pray.
29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became white and dazzling.
30 Behold, two men were talking with him, who were Moses and Elijah,
31 who appeared in glory, and spoke of his departure, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.
32 Now Peter and those who were with him were heavy with sleep, but when they were fully awake, they saw his glory, and the two men who stood with him.
33 As they were parting from him, Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here. Let’s make three tents here: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah,” not knowing what he said.
34 While he said these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them, and they were afraid as they entered into the cloud.
35 A voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him!”

Luke 9.37-50, the exorcism of a boy, the second passion prediction, receiving the sender, for or against us.

40 I begged your disciples to cast it out, and they couldn’t cast it out.
41 Jesus answered them,Faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and how long shall I bear with you? Bring your son here.”
44 “Let these words sink into your ears, for the Son of Man will be delivered up into the hands of men.
46 An argument arose among them about which of them was the greatest.
48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this little child in my name receives me. Whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For whoever is least among you all, this one will be great.”

Luke 9.51-62, journeying to Jerusalem, fire from heaven, following Jesus.

54 When his disciples, James and John, saw this, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from the sky, and destroy them, just as Elijah did?”
55 But he turned and rebuked them, “You don’t know of what kind of spirit you are.
57 As they went on the way, a certain man said to him,I want to follow you wherever you go, Lord.”
+ 58 (86>) Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” (<86)
59 He said to another, “Follow me!” But he said, “Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father.
60 But Jesus said to him,Leave the dead to bury their own dead, but you go and announce God’s Kingdom.
61 Another also said, “I want to follow you, Lord, but first allow me to say good-bye to those who are at my house.
62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for God’s Kingdom.”

Luke 10.1-20, the mission of the seventy, woe to the cities, receiving the sender, the fall of Satan.

1 Now after these things, the Lord also appointed seventy others, and sent them two by two ahead of him into every city and place where he was about to come.
4 Carry no purse, nor wallet, neither staff nor sandals. Greet no one on the way.
+ 5 (14>) Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’
+ 7 Remain in that same house, eating and drinking the things they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Don’t go from house to house.
+ 8 Into whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat the things that are set before you.
+ 9 Heal the sick who are therein, (<14) and tell them,God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’
10 But into whatever city you enter, and they don’t receive you, go out into its streets and say,
11 ‘Even the dust from your city that clings to us, we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’
16 Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me. Whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.
19 Behold, I give you [or: I have given you] authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy. Nothing will in any way hurt you.

Luke 10.21-42, revealed to babes, blessed are your eyes and ears, the greatest commandment, the good Samaritan, Mary and Martha.

21 In that same hour Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit, and said, “I thank you and confess [or: praise] you, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from [Marcion: that the things which were hidden to] the wise and understanding, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for so it was well-pleasing in your sight.
22 Turning to the disciples, he said, “All things have been delivered to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is, except the Father, and who the Father is, except the Son [Marcion, however, seems to reverse these clauses], and he to whomever the Son desires to reveal him.
+ 23 Turning to the disciples, (38>) he said privately, “Blessed are the eyes which see the things that you see,
+ 24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see the things which you see, and didn’t see them, and to hear the things which you hear, and didn’t hear them.” (<38)
25 Behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said to him,What is written in the law? How do you read it?”
+ 27 He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; (25>) and your neighbor as yourself.” (<25)
28 He said to him,You have answered [Marcion: spoken] correctly. Do this, and you will live.

Luke 11.1-13, the paternoster, a friend at midnight, ask, seek, knock.

1 When he finished praying in a certain place, one of his [Marcion: the] disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John also taught his disciples.”
2 He said to them, “When you pray, say,~Our~ Father ~in heaven~, may your name be kept holy [Marcion adds a petition for the Holy Spirit: may your Holy Spirit come upon us]. May your Kingdom come. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.
3 Give us day by day your daily bread.
4 Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. Bring us not [Marcion: do not let us be brought] into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’ ”
5 He said to them, “Which of you, if you go to a friend at midnight, and tell him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,
7 and he from within will answer and say, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I can’t get up and give it to you’?
8 I tell you, although he will not rise and give it to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence, he will get up and give him as many as he needs.
+ 9 “I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. (94>) Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you. (<94)
11 “Which [Marcion: for which] of you fathers, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he won’t give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, he won’t give him a scorpion, will he?
13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?”

Luke 11.14-28, the controversy over Beezebul, the seven spirits, blessed the womb and breasts.

14 He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke; and the multitudes marveled.
15 But some of them said,He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of the demons.”
18 If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul.
19 But if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your children cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges.
20 But if I by God’s finger cast out demons, then God’s Kingdom has come near to you.
+ 21 (21>) “When the strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe. (<21)
+ 22 (35>) But when someone stronger attacks him and overcomes him, he takes from him his whole armor in which he trusted, and divides his plunder. (<35)
+ 27 It came to pass, as he said these things, (79>) a certain woman out of the multitude lifted up her voice, and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which nursed you!”
+ 28 But he said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and keep [Marcion: do] it.” (<79)

Luke 11.29-54, the sign of Jonah, the lamp of the body, woe to the Pharisees and lawyers.

29 When the multitudes were gathering together to him, he began to say,This is an evil generation. It seeks after a sign. No sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah, the prophet.
+ 33 (33>) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, that those who come in may see the light [Marcion: it might shine on all]. (<33)
+ 35 (24>) Therefore see whether the light that is in you isn’t darkness.
+ 36 If therefore your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly full of light (<24), as when the lamp with its bright shining gives you light.”[/color]
37 Now as he spoke, a certain Pharisee asked him to dine with him. He went in, and sat at the table.
38 When the Pharisee saw it, he marveled that [Marcion: he, judging within himself, began to ask why] he had not first washed himself before dinner.
+ 39 The Lord [or: Jesus] said to him,Now you Pharisees (89>) cleanse the outside of the cup and of the platter, but your inward part (<89) is full of extortion and wickedness.
+ 40 You foolish ones, (89>) didn’t he who made the outside make the inside also? (<89)
41 But give for gifts [Marcion: your possessions] to the needy those things which are within, and behold, all things will be clean to you.
+ 42 (102>) But woe to you Pharisees! (<102) For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, but you bypass justice and God’s love. You ought to have done these, and not to have left the other undone.
+ 43 (102>) Woe to you Pharisees! (<102) For you love the best seats in the synagogues, and the greetings in the marketplaces.
46 He said,Woe to you lawyers also! For you load men with burdens that are difficult to carry, and you yourselves won’t even lift one finger to help carry [Marcion: touch] those burdens.
47 Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets, and your fathers killed them.
48 So do you testify and [Marcion: that you do not] consent to the works of your fathers. [?] For they killed them, and you build their tombs.
+ 52 Woe to you (39>) lawyers! For you took away the key of knowledge. You didn’t enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in, you hindered.” (<39)

Luke 12.1-9, the leaven of the Pharisees, fear not, before the angels.

1 Meanwhile, when a multitude of many thousands had gathered together, so much so that they trampled on each other, he began to tell his disciples first of all, “Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
+ 2 (6>) But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known. (<6)
+ 3 (33>) Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light. What you have spoken in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops. (<33)
4 “I tell you, my friends, don’t be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do [or: and after that have no further authority over you].
5 But I will warn you whom you should fear. Fear him who after he has killed, has power to cast into Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
8 “For I tell you, everyone who confesses [Marcion: will confess] me before men, the Son of Man [Marcion: I] will also confess before the angels of God;
9 but he who denies me in the presence of men will be denied in the presence of the angels of God.

Luke 12.10-21, the sin against the spirit, delivered up, who made me judge, the parable of the rich fool.

+ 10 (44>) Everyone who speaks [Marcion: should speak] a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme [Marcion: should speak] against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (<44)
11 When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, don’t be anxious how or what you will answer, or what you will say;
12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that same hour what you must say.
+ 13 One of the multitude said to him, (72>) “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.
+ 14 But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge ~or an arbitrator~ over you?” (<72)
+ 16 He spoke a parable to them, saying, (>63) “The ground of a certain rich man produced abundantly.
+ 18 He said, ‘This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.[/color]
+ 19 I will tell my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.”
+ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. (<63) The things which you have prepared—whose will they be?’

That's it for now. The next step will be to remove verses that are unattested for in any MS

Last edited by mlinssen on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
mlinssen

Re: Minimal Marcion - minus unattested MSS

Post by mlinssen »

Follow up from OP

Basis to all this is the proper Nestle Aland 28, not any online edition or such as those are bogus.
The MS is indicated by square brackets; S is used to indicate Codex Sinaiticus but all others are in the default notation (hint: https://www.skypoint.com/members/waltzm ... cials.html is helpful).
In some cases the combined lack of attestation results in an omission, in which case the MSS inside the square brackets will be preceded by a single +-sign
  • The words highlighted in red are unattested for by at least one MS;
  • Insignificant variations aren't highlighted, significant ones are orange, and their alternative is indicated in brackets in stead
  • Sometimes there are insertions or additions, those are lightgreen
It is problematic that the translation used by Ben understandably is the crappy WEB, for reasons of copyright, so this isn't as precise as it could be, with Luke 4:41 being a fine example; an abundance of MSS attests to 'o xristos' in stead of 'son of god', so I have done what I could - above all, the text in Ben's thread and this one must match 100% for reasons of traceability.
As can be seen, WEB attempts to present "a best of breed"? by not simply attesting to either of a variant, but giving both, thereby creating its entirely own fable on top of all other ones

Luke 3.1-38, John the baptist, the preaching and imprisonment of John, the baptism and genealogy of Jesus.

1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor [Marcion: in the times of Pontius Pilate] of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene,

Luke 4.31-37, teaching with authority and the exorcism of the Capernaum demoniac.

31 He came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. He was teaching them on the Sabbath day in the synagogue,
32 And [Marcion: but] they were all astonished at his teaching, for his word was with authority.
34 saying, “Ah! [D] what have we to do with you, Jesus ~of Nazareth~? Have you come to destroy us? I know you who you are: the Holy One of God!
35 Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” When the demon had thrown him down in the middle of them, he came out of him, having done him no harm. [W]

Luke 4.16-30, rejection at Nazareth.

16 He came to Nazara [Marcion: Nazareth], where he had been brought up. He entered, as was his [D] custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
+ 23 He said to them, “Doubtless you will tell me this parable, (31>) Physician, heal yourself! (<31) Whatever we have heard done at Capernaum, do also here in your hometown.’ ”
29 They rose up, threw him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill that their city was built on, that they might throw him off the cliff.
30 But he, passing through the middle of them, went his way.

Luke 4.38-44, the healing of the mother-in-law of Peter, the evening healings, departing from Capernaum, and in the synagogues.

40 When the sun was setting, all those who had any sick with various diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on every one of them [D 565 . 2542 lat syh], and healed them.
41 Demons also came out of [S W f' 1241. 1424] many, crying out, and saying,You are the Christ, the Son of God! [EITHER Christ OR Son of God]” Rebuking them, he didn’t allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the Christ.
42 When it was day, he departed and went into an uninhabited place, and the multitudes looked for him, and came to him, and held on to him, so that he wouldn’t go away from them.
43 But he said to them,I must preach the good news of God’s Kingdom to the other cities also. For this reason I have been sent.”

Luke 5.1-11, the call of the first disciples.

2 He saw two boats standing by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
9 For he was amazed, and all who were with him [D], at the catch of fish which they had caught;
10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid. For from now on you will be catching people alive.
11 When they had brought their boats to land, they left everything, and followed him.

Luke 5.12-16, the healing of a leper.

12 While he was in one of the cities, behold, there was a man full [D] of leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell on his face, and begged him [D e r1], saying, “Lord, if you want to, you can make me clean.”
13 He stretched out his hand, and touched him, saying, “I want to. Be made clean.” Immediately the leprosy left him.
14 He commanded him to tell no one, “But go your way, and show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift for your cleansing according to what Moses commanded, for a testimony to them [Marcion: so that this might be for a testimony to you].”

Luke 5.17-26, the healing of a paralytic.

17 On one of those days, he was teaching; and there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every village of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem [+D H vg]. The power of the Lord was with him [D] to heal them.
18 Behold, men brought a paralyzed man on a cot, and they sought to bring him [MANY] in to lay before Jesus.
20 Seeing their faith, he said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”
21 The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” (he said to the paralyzed man), “I tell you, arise, and take up your little [D sa sy] cot [Marcion: take up your mat, and go to your house.”
26 Amazement took hold on all, and they glorified God. [D W Psi 579] They were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen strange things today.”

Luke 5.27-32, the call of Levi, tax collectors and sinners.

27 After these things he went out, and saw a tax collector named Levi [D: και ελθων παλιν παρα την θαλασσαν τον επακολουθουντα αυτω οχλον εδιδασκεν και παραγων ειδεν λευει τον του αλφαιου] sitting at the tax office, and said to him, “Follow me!
30 Their scribes and the Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners [C* D]?

Luke 5.33-39, the controversy over fasting.

33 They said to him,Why do John’s disciples often fast and pray, likewise also the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink? [D: ουδεν τουτων ποιουσιν 34]”
+ 34 He said to them, (104>) The friends of the bridechamber (see viewtopic.php?p=125722#p125722 for MAtthew attesting to bridegroom here, in MS D) cannot fast as long as [Marcion: while] the bridegroom is with them, can they?
+ 35 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them. Then they will fast in those days.” (<104)
+ 36 He also told a parable to them. (47>) “No one puts a piece of unshrunk fabric from a new garment on an old garment, or else he will tear the new, and also the piece from the new will not match the old.
+ 37 No one puts new wine into old wine skins, or else the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. (<47)

Luke 6.1-11, plucking grain on the sabbath, the healing of a man with a withered hand.

1 Now on the second Sabbath after the first, he was going through the grain fields. His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate, rubbing them in their hands.
2 But some of the Pharisees said to them, “Why do you do that which is not lawful to do on the Sabbath day?”
3 Jesus, answering them, said,Haven’t you read what David did when he was hungry, he, and those who were [MANY] with him;
4 how he entered into God’s house on the Sabbath, and took and ate the show bread, and gave also to those who were with him, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests alone?”
5 He said to them, “The Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”
6 It also happened on another Sabbath that he entered into the synagogue and taught. There was a man there, and his right [D] hand was withered.
7 The scribes and the Pharisees watched him [MANY], to see whether he would heal on the Sabbath, that they might find an accusation against [Psi 2542: accuse] him.
9 Then Jesus said to them, “I will ask you something: Is it lawful on the Sabbaths to do good, or to do harm [Marcion: not]? To save a life, or to kill?

Luke 6.12-26, the commission of the twelve, the sermon on the plain, a great multitude, the beatitudes, the woes.

12 In these days, he went out [Marcion: ascended] to the mountain to pray, and he continued all night in prayer to God [D].
13 When it was day, he called his disciples, and from them he chose twelve, whom he also named [D: called (sic)] apostles:
14 Simon, whom he also named Peter; Andrew, his brother; James; John; Philip; Bartholomew;
16 Judas the son of James; and Judas Iscariot, who also became a traitor.
17 He came down with [Marcion: among] them, and stood on a level place, with a crowd of his disciples, and a great number of the people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon and beyond, who came [S W ff2] to hear him and to be healed of their diseases;
19 All the multitude sought to touch him, for power came out of him and healed them all.
+ 20 He lifted up his eyes to his disciples, and said, (54>) “Blessed are you [Marcion: the] who are poor, God’s Kingdom is yours [W ff2 sy sa bo: theirs] [Marcion: theirs]. (<54)
+ 21 (69>) Blessed are you [S it sy sa: they] [Marcion: they] who hunger now, for you [S it sy sa: they] [Marcion: they] will be filled. (<69) Blessed are you [Marcion: they] who weep now, for you [Marcion: they] will laugh. [D]
+ 22 (68>) Blessed are you when men shall hate you, (<68) and when they shall exclude [2542] and mock you, and throw out your name as evil, for the Son of Man’s sake.
23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven, for their fathers did the same thing to the prophets.
24 “But woe to you who are rich! For you have received your consolation.
25 Woe to you, you who are full now, for you will be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.

Luke 6.27-36, on revenge and enemies.

27 “But I tell you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse [Marcion: hate] you, and pray for those who mistreat you.
29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer also the other; and from him who takes away your cloak, don’t withhold your coat also [Marcion: your coat, offer also your cloak to him].
30 Give to everyone who asks you, and don’t ask him who takes away your goods to give them back again.
31 “As you would like people to do [Marcion: happen] to you from men, do exactly so to them also [D e Ir Cl.
+ 34 (95>) If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back again, (<95) what credit is [MANY] that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much. [D it sy]
35 But love your enemies, and do good, and you are to lend without despairing, expecting nothing back; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High [Marcion: of God]; for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil.
36 “Therefore be merciful, even [MANY] as your Father is ~also~ merciful to you.

Luke 6.37-49, on judgment, by their fruits, do as I say, the parable of the wise and foolish builders.

37 Don’t judge, and [MANY: so that] [Marcion: so that] you won’t be judged. Don’t condemn, and [D W it sy sa: so that] [Marcion: so that] you won’t be condemned. Set free, and you will be set free.
38 “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be given to you. For with the same measure you measure it will be measured back to you.
+ 39 He spoke a parable to them. (34>) “Can the blind guide the blind? Won’t they both fall into a pit? (<34)
40 A disciple is not above his teacher own [MANY], nor slave over his own master [579], but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.
+ 41 (26>) Why do you see the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye, but don’t consider the beam that is in your own eye?
+ 42 Or [MANY] how can you tell your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck of chaff that is in your eye,’ when you yourself don’t see the beam that is in your own eye? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck of chaff that is in your brother’s eye. (<26)
+ 43 (43>) For there is no good tree that produces rotten fruit; nor again a rotten tree that produces good fruit. (<43)
+ 45 (45>) The good man out of the good treasure of his [MANY] heart brings out that [D W] which is good, and the evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart [MANY] brings out that which is evil, for out of the abundance of the heart, his mouth speaks. (<45)

Luke 7.1-17, the healing at the request of a centurion, the raising of the dead son in Nain.

2 A certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and at the point of death.
9 When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turned and said to the multitude who followed him, Amen [MANY] I tell you, I have not found such great faith, no, not in Israel.”
12 Now when he came near to the gate of the city, behold, one who was dead [MANY] was carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. Many people of the city were with her.
14 He came near and touched the coffin, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I tell you, arise!”
15 He who was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother.
16 Fear took hold of all, and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has arisen among us!” and, “God has visited his people!”

Luke 7.18-35, the inquiry of John the baptist.

18 The disciples of John told him about all these things. John, in prison, [D: John the Baptist] calling to himself two of his disciples,
19 sent them to Jesus, saying, “Go and ask him, ‘Are you the one who is coming, or should we look for another?’
20 When the men had come to him, they said, “John the Baptizer has sent us to you, saying, ‘Are you he who comes, or should we look for another?’”
22 Jesus answered them,Go and tell John the things which you have seen and heard: that the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.
23 Blessed is he who finds no occasion for stumbling in me.
+ 24 When John’s messengers had departed, he began to tell the multitudes about John, (78>) “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? (<78)
+ 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and much more than a prophet. among those who are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptizer [D]
27 This is he of whom it is written, ‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.’ [D it]
+ 28 “For I tell you, (46>) among those who are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptizer [D] , yet he who is least in God’s Kingdom is greater than he.” (<46)

Luke 7.36-50, the anointing of Jesus.

36 One of the Pharisees invited him to eat with him. He entered into the Pharisee’s house, and sat at the table.
37 Behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that he was reclining in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster jar of ointment.
38 Standing behind at his feet weeping, she began to[D it sy] wet his feet with her tears, and she wiped them with the hair of her head, kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
44 Turning to the woman, he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered into your house, and you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head.
45 You gave me no kiss, but she, since the time I came in, has not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 You didn’t anoint my head [MANY: my feet] with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, forshe loved much. But one to whom little is forgiven, loves little. [D]
48 He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
50 He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

Luke 8.1-18, the female followers of Jesus, by the lake, the parable of the sower and explanation, the mysteries of the kingdom, on the nature of parables.

2 and certain women who had been healed of evil [S Theta it: unclean] spirits and infirmities: Mary who was called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out;
3 and Joanna, the wife of Chuzas, Herod’s steward; Susanna; and many others; who also [D it] served them [MANY: him] [Marcion: him] from their possessions.
4 When a great multitude came together, and people from every city were coming to him, he spoke by a parable. [D it: this parable to them]
+ 16 (33>) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a container, or puts it under a bed; but puts it on a stand, that those who enter in may see the light. (<33) [P75 B]
PLEASE DO NOTE THAT TERTULLIAN SAYS HERE: "NO ONE USUALLY HIDES A LAMP", which is 100% Thomasine: viewtopic.php?p=125717#p125717 and viewtopic.php?p=125722#p125722
+ 17 (6>) For nothing is hidden that will not be revealed; nor anything secret that will not [MANY] be known and come to light. (<6)
+ 18 Be careful therefore how you hear. (41>) For whoever has, to him will be given; and whoever doesn’t have, from him will be taken away even that which he thinks he has.” (<41)

Luke 8.19-25, the family of Jesus, the calming of the lake.

20 Some people told him, “Your [P75 S 579] mother and your brothers stand outside, desiring to see you.”
+ 21 (99>) But he answered them [P75 b*: him],My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God, and do it. [Marcion: Who is my mother and who are my brothers except these who hear my words and do them?]” (<99)
22 Now on one of those days, he entered into a boat, himself and his disciples, and he said to them, “Let’s go over to the other side of the lake.” So they launched out.
23 But as they sailed, he fell asleep. A wind storm came down on the lake, and they were taking on dangerous amounts of water.
24 They came to him, and awoke him, saying, “Master, master [MANY], we are dying!” He awoke, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water [D] [Marcion: sea], and they ceased, and it was calm.
25 He said to them, “Where is [MANY] your faith?” Being afraid they marveled, saying to one another,Who is this then, that he [Marcion: who] commands even the winds and the water [Marcion: sea], and they obey him?” [P75 B 700 aeth]

Luke 8.26-39, the exorcism of the Gadarene demoniac.

27 When Jesus stepped ashore, a certain man out of the city who had demons for a long time met him. He wore no clothes, and didn’t live in a house, but in the tombs.
28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him [D], and with a loud voice said, “What do I have to do with you, Jesus, [P75 D f1 579 e bo] you Son of [MANY] the Most High God [MANY]? I beg you, don’t torment me!
30 Jesus asked him,What is your name?He said, “Legion [MANY: Legeon],” for many demons had entered into him.
PLEASE NOTE THAT DOZENS OF MSS SAY Λεγεών IN STEAD OF Λεγιών

I must, I really really, absolutely must, take a brief time-out RIGHT HERE for all those fans of Hebrew and Aramaic - I hope you are paying close attention.
This Greek word λεγεών (https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/te ... Dlegew%2Fn) is, of course, a Latin loanword, as there are so incredibly many in this text.
The extra and additonal fun thing about this word, however, is that it is a dead give-way of a Latin loanword, for it says, indeed:

λεγεών

the Lat. legio, NTest., Plut.

Plutarch? That is his Romulus, Chapter 13, https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/te ... g=original

13. When the city was built, in the first place, Romulus divided all the multitude that were of age to bear arms into military companies, each company consisting of three thousand footmen and three hundred horsemen. Such a company was called a ‘legion,’ because the warlike were selected out of all. In the second place, he treated the remainder as a people, and this multitude was called ‘populus’; a hundred of them, who were the most eminent, he appointed to be councillors, calling the individuals themselves ‘patricians,’ and their body a ‘senate.’

13. κτισθείσης δὲ τῆς πόλεως, πρῶτον μὲν ὅσον ἦν ἐν ἡλικίᾳ πλῆθος εἰς συντάγματα στρατιωτικὰ διεῖλεν. ἕκαστον δὲ σύνταγμα πεζῶν τρισχιλίων ἦν καὶ τριακοσίων ἱππέων. ἐκλήθη δὲ λεγεὼν τῷ λογάδας εἶναι τοὺς μαχίμους ἐκ πάντων. ἔπειτα τοῖς μὲν ἄλλοις ἐχρῆτο δήμῳ, καὶ ποπούλους ὠνομάσθη τὸ πλῆθος: ἑκατὸν δὲ τοὺς ἀρίστους ἀπέδειξε βουλευτάς, καὶ αὐτοὺς μὲν πατρικίους, τὸ δὲ σύστημα σενᾶτον προσηγόρευσεν.

This is the only "Greek" for legion that I could find, and Plutarch lived from 50 CE - 120 CE

Well, it must have been a demon who was fluent in Latin and not so apt at Greek - not to mention Hebrew or Aramaic

31 They [MANY: he] begged him that he would not command them to go into the abyss.
32 Now there was there a herd of many [D 579 c r1 bo] pigs feeding on the mountain, and they begged him that he would allow them to enter into those. Then he allowed them.

Luke 8.40-56, the raising of the daughter of Jairus, the healing of a hemorrhaging woman.

42 for he had an only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she was dying. ~But it happened that as he~ [Marcion: ~they~] ~went~, the multitudes pressed against him.
43 A certain woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years, who had spent all her living on physicians and [P75 B (D) 0279 sy sa] could not be healed by any
44 came behind [D Psi] him, and touched the fringe of [D it] his cloak. Immediately the flow of her blood stopped.
45 Jesus [Marcion: the Lord] said, “Who touched me?” When all denied it, Peter and those with him [MANY include!] said, “Master, the multitudes press and jostle you, and you say, ‘Who touched me?’” [MANY]
46 But Jesus said,Someone did touch me, for I also perceived that power has gone out of me.
48 He said to her take heart, [MANY] “Daughter, cheer up. Your faith has made you well. Go in peace.”

Luke 9.1-11, the mission of the twelve, John the baptist risen.

1 He called the twelve apostles [MANY] together, and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases.
+ 2 He sent them out to preach God’s Kingdom and (14>) to heal the sick. (<14)
3 He said to them, “Take nothing for your journey—no staffs, nor wallet, nor bread, nor money. Don’t have two coats each [MANY].
+ 5 As many as (14>) don’t receive you, (<14) when you depart from that city, shake off even the dust from your feet for a testimony against them.
6 They departed and went throughout cities and [it sa] the villages, preaching the Good News and healing everywhere.
7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by him; and he was very perplexed, because it was being said by some that John had risen from the dead,
8 and by some that Elijah had appeared, and by others that one of [MANY] the old prophets had risen again.

Luke 9.12-17, the feeding of the five thousand.

12 The day began to wear away; and the twelve came and said to him, “Send the multitude away, that they may go into the surrounding villages and farms, and lodge, and get food [D], for we are here in a deserted place.
13 But he said to them, “You give them something to eat.” They said, “We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless we should go and buy food for all these people.”
14 For they were about five thousand men. He said to his disciples, “Make them sit down in groups of about [MANY] fifty each.”
16 He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to the sky, he blessed them, broke them, [S 1241 sy D q] and gave them to the disciples to set before the multitude.
17 They ate and were all filled. They gathered up twelve baskets of broken pieces that were left over.

Luke 9.18-27, who do you say that I am, the first passion prediction, take up your cross, finding and losing, before my father.

18 As he was praying [D a c e sy] alone, the disciples were with him, and he asked them,Who do the multitudes [Marcion: men] say that I, the son of man, am?
19 They answered, “‘John the Baptizer,but others say, ‘Elijah,and others, that one of the old prophets has risen again [D e: was one of the prophets].
+ 20 (13>) He said to them,But who do you say that I am?Peter answered,The Christ of God [Marcion: you are the Christ].” (<13)
21 But he warned them, and commanded them to tell this to no one,
22 saying,The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed [or: crucified], and the third day [Marcion: after three days] [P75: third, D it: with day three] be raised up.
24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but [Marcion: and] whoever will lose his life [Marcion: it] for my sake, will save it.
26 For whoever will be ashamed of me and of my words, [D a 1 sy] of him will the Son of Man [Marcion: I] be ashamed, when he comes in his glory, and the glory of the Father, and of the holy angels.

TO BE CONTINUED

Luke 9.28-36, the transfiguration.

28 About eight days after these sayings, he took with him Peter, John, and James, and went up onto the mountain to pray.
29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became white and dazzling.
30 Behold, two men were talking with him, who were Moses and Elijah,
31 who appeared in glory, and spoke of his departure, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.
32 Now Peter and those who were with him were heavy with sleep, but when they were fully awake, they saw his glory, and the two men who stood with him.
33 As they were parting from him, Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here. Let’s make three tents here: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah,” not knowing what he said.
34 While he said these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them, and they were afraid as they entered into the cloud.
35 A voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him!”

Luke 9.37-50, the exorcism of a boy, the second passion prediction, receiving the sender, for or against us.

40 I begged your disciples to cast it out, and they couldn’t cast it out.
41 Jesus answered them,Faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and how long shall I bear with you? Bring your son here.”
44 “Let these words sink into your ears, for the Son of Man will be delivered up into the hands of men.
46 An argument arose among them about which of them was the greatest.
48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this little child in my name receives me. Whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For whoever is least among you all, this one will be great.”

Luke 9.51-62, journeying to Jerusalem, fire from heaven, following Jesus.

54 When his disciples, James and John, saw this, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from the sky, and destroy them, just as Elijah did?”
55 But he turned and rebuked them, “You don’t know of what kind of spirit you are.
57 As they went on the way, a certain man said to him,I want to follow you wherever you go, Lord.”
+ 58 (86>) Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” (<86)
59 He said to another, “Follow me!” But he said, “Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father.
60 But Jesus said to him,Leave the dead to bury their own dead, but you go and announce God’s Kingdom.
61 Another also said, “I want to follow you, Lord, but first allow me to say good-bye to those who are at my house.
62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for God’s Kingdom.”

Luke 10.1-20, the mission of the seventy, woe to the cities, receiving the sender, the fall of Satan.

1 Now after these things, the Lord also appointed seventy others, and sent them two by two ahead of him into every city and place where he was about to come.
4 Carry no purse, nor wallet, neither staff nor sandals. Greet no one on the way.
+ 5 (14>) Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’
+ 7 Remain in that same house, eating and drinking the things they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Don’t go from house to house.
+ 8 Into whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat the things that are set before you.
+ 9 Heal the sick who are therein, (<14) and tell them,God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’
10 But into whatever city you enter, and they don’t receive you, go out into its streets and say,
11 ‘Even the dust from your city that clings to us, we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’
16 Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me. Whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.
19 Behold, I give you [or: I have given you] authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy. Nothing will in any way hurt you.

Luke 10.21-42, revealed to babes, blessed are your eyes and ears, the greatest commandment, the good Samaritan, Mary and Martha.

21 In that same hour Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit, and said, “I thank you and confess [or: praise] you, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from [Marcion: that the things which were hidden to] the wise and understanding, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for so it was well-pleasing in your sight.
22 Turning to the disciples, he said, “All things have been delivered to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is, except the Father, and who the Father is, except the Son [Marcion, however, seems to reverse these clauses], and he to whomever the Son desires to reveal him.
+ 23 Turning to the disciples, (38>) he said privately, “Blessed are the eyes which see the things that you see,
+ 24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see the things which you see, and didn’t see them, and to hear the things which you hear, and didn’t hear them.” (<38)
25 Behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said to him,What is written in the law? How do you read it?”
+ 27 He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; (25>) and your neighbor as yourself.” (<25)
28 He said to him,You have answered [Marcion: spoken] correctly. Do this, and you will live.

Luke 11.1-13, the paternoster, a friend at midnight, ask, seek, knock.

1 When he finished praying in a certain place, one of his [Marcion: the] disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John also taught his disciples.”
2 He said to them, “When you pray, say,~Our~ Father ~in heaven~, may your name be kept holy [Marcion adds a petition for the Holy Spirit: may your Holy Spirit come upon us]. May your Kingdom come. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.
3 Give us day by day your daily bread.
4 Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. Bring us not [Marcion: do not let us be brought] into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’ ”
5 He said to them, “Which of you, if you go to a friend at midnight, and tell him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,
7 and he from within will answer and say, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I can’t get up and give it to you’?
8 I tell you, although he will not rise and give it to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence, he will get up and give him as many as he needs.
+ 9 “I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. (94>) Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you. (<94)
11 “Which [Marcion: for which] of you fathers, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he won’t give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, he won’t give him a scorpion, will he?
13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?”

Luke 11.14-28, the controversy over Beezebul, the seven spirits, blessed the womb and breasts.

14 He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke; and the multitudes marveled.
15 But some of them said,He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of the demons.”
18 If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul.
19 But if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your children cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges.
20 But if I by God’s finger cast out demons, then God’s Kingdom has come near to you.
+ 21 (21>) “When the strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe. (<21)
+ 22 (35>) But when someone stronger attacks him and overcomes him, he takes from him his whole armor in which he trusted, and divides his plunder. (<35)
+ 27 It came to pass, as he said these things, (79>) a certain woman out of the multitude lifted up her voice, and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which nursed you!”
+ 28 But he said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and keep [Marcion: do] it.” (<79)

Luke 11.29-54, the sign of Jonah, the lamp of the body, woe to the Pharisees and lawyers.

29 When the multitudes were gathering together to him, he began to say,This is an evil generation. It seeks after a sign. No sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah, the prophet.
+ 33 (33>) “No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, that those who come in may see the light [Marcion: it might shine on all]. (<33)
+ 35 (24>) Therefore see whether the light that is in you isn’t darkness.
+ 36 If therefore your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly full of light (<24), as when the lamp with its bright shining gives you light.”[/color]
37 Now as he spoke, a certain Pharisee asked him to dine with him. He went in, and sat at the table.
38 When the Pharisee saw it, he marveled that [Marcion: he, judging within himself, began to ask why] he had not first washed himself before dinner.
+ 39 The Lord [or: Jesus] said to him,Now you Pharisees (89>) cleanse the outside of the cup and of the platter, but your inward part (<89) is full of extortion and wickedness.
+ 40 You foolish ones, (89>) didn’t he who made the outside make the inside also? (<89)
41 But give for gifts [Marcion: your possessions] to the needy those things which are within, and behold, all things will be clean to you.
+ 42 (102>) But woe to you Pharisees! (<102) For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, but you bypass justice and God’s love. You ought to have done these, and not to have left the other undone.
+ 43 (102>) Woe to you Pharisees! (<102) For you love the best seats in the synagogues, and the greetings in the marketplaces.
46 He said,Woe to you lawyers also! For you load men with burdens that are difficult to carry, and you yourselves won’t even lift one finger to help carry [Marcion: touch] those burdens.
47 Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets, and your fathers killed them.
48 So do you testify and [Marcion: that you do not] consent to the works of your fathers. ?] For they killed them, and you build their tombs.
+ 52 Woe to you (39>) lawyers! For you took away the key of knowledge. You didn’t enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in, you hindered.” (<39)

Luke 12.1-9, the leaven of the Pharisees, fear not, before the angels.

1 Meanwhile, when a multitude of many thousands had gathered together, so much so that they trampled on each other, he began to tell his disciples first of all, “Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
+ 2 (6>) But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known. (<6)
+ 3 (33>) Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light. What you have spoken in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops. (<33)
4 “I tell you, my friends, don’t be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do [or: and after that have no further authority over you].
5 But I will warn you whom you should fear. Fear him who after he has killed, has power to cast into Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
8 “For I tell you, everyone who confesses [Marcion: will confess] me before men, the Son of Man [Marcion: I] will also confess before the angels of God;
9 but he who denies me in the presence of men will be denied in the presence of the angels of God.

Luke 12.10-21, the sin against the spirit, delivered up, who made me judge, the parable of the rich fool.

+ 10 (44>) Everyone who speaks [Marcion: should speak] a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme [Marcion: should speak] against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (<44)
11 When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, don’t be anxious how or what you will answer, or what you will say;
12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that same hour what you must say.
+ 13 One of the multitude said to him, (72>) “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.
+ 14 But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge ~or an arbitrator~ over you?” (<72)
+ 16 He spoke a parable to them, saying, (>63) “The ground of a certain rich man produced abundantly.
+ 18 He said, ‘This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.[/color]
+ 19 I will tell my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.”
+ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. (<63) The things which you have prepared—whose will they be?’
Last edited by mlinssen on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlinssen

Re: Minimal Marcion as attested - verification (Tertullian)

Post by mlinssen »

I'll reserve this space for now; the entire point of course is to take the unambiguous statements from our dearly beloved Church Fathers about that what Marcion allegedly had different, and verify and validate that - to match it with the variations as attested by NA28 (and even though NA28 has some entries on Marcion as attested by Tertullian and Adamantius, there is only the end result in it and no story about how that all came into being - and it must be said that they miss some stuff here and there

So, here is testing the working assumption that multiple MSS shared what Marcion had different from what Tertullian claimed Luke had. I think I can throw Adamantius and Epiphanius into it if need be

Work in progress here, but I'll do a few firsts: the most important ones are of course the beatitudes and their addressing either a You or a They- the former is what Thomas has: I'll use Lambdin for a change as it doesn't matter what the words are, although Lambdin of course mistranslatates "of the heavens" with "heaven", among many other dogmatic obfuscations

(49) Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find the kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return."
(54) Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor, for yours is the kingdom of heaven."
(58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the man who has suffered and found life."
(68) Jesus said, "Blessed are you when you are hated and persecuted. Wherever you have been persecuted they will find no place."
(69) Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within themselves. It is they who have truly come to know the father. Blessed are the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."
(79) A woman from the crowd said to him, "Blessed are the womb which bore you and the breasts which nourished you." He said to her, "Blessed are those who have heard the word of the father and have truly kept it. For there will be days when you will say, 'Blessed are the womb which has not conceived and the breasts which have not given milk.'"

All logia with the word Blessed, save for the odd ones out, 7 and 18

Roth attests 6:20 to Tertullian Marc. 4.14.1, 9, 13 Epiphanius Pan. 42.11.6(5) and Eznik De deo 405.32

Tertullian

4.14.1—Beati mendici—sic enim exigit interpretatio vocabuli, quod in Graeco est—quoniam illorum est dei regnum.62 | 4.14.13—. . . beati mendici, quoniam illorum est regnum caelorum; . . . | Fug. 12.5—Felices itaque pauperes, quia illorum, inquit, est regnum caelorum, qui animam solam in confiscato habent. | Idol.
12.2—Egebo. Sed felices egenos dominus appellat. | Pat. 11.6—. . . Beati pauperes spiritu, illorum est enim regnum caelorum. | Ux. 2.8.5—Nam si pauperum sunt regna caelorum, divitum non sunt, . . .63

Luke 6:20 is also attested by Epiphanius and Eznik. Several arguments point to Tertullian providing an accurate quotation of Marcion’s text of Luke 6:20b in 4.14.1. First, beati mendici supports the view that Marcion’s text read μακάριοι οἱ πτωχοί, because even though Tertullian often simply makes reference to “the poor,” when he clearly cites the Matthean text in Pat. 11.6 he writes beatis pauperes spiritu.64 Second, that Marcion also read ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ is confirmed through the recognition that the Matthean reading (Matt 5:3) is the one toward which Tertullian naturally, and probably unconsciously, inclines. In fact, when
Tertullian interpolates Isa 61:1–3 with Luke 6:20–22 in 4.14.13, he slips back into his regular pattern and writes beati mendici, quoniam illorum est regnum caelorum
. Finally, the accuracy in these two points would tend to indicate that illorum reveals the presence of the Matthean αὐτῶν and not the Lukan ὑμετέρα
in Marcion’s text.65 Nevertheless, Tertullian’s citations always offering illorum means that an unconscious Matthean influence cannot be ruled out entirely.

Luke: 6:20 (...) “Μακάριοι (Blessed are) οἱ (the) πτωχοί (poor "τῷ (in the) πνεύματι (spirit)"), Ὅτι (for) ὑμετέρα (yours) / "αυτῶν (theirs)" ἐστὶν (is) ἡ (the) βασιλεία (kingdom) τοῦ (-) Θεοῦ (of God).

Matthew 3:3 “Μακάριοι (Blessed are) οἱ (the) πτωχοὶ (poor) τῷ (in the) πνεύματι (spirit), Ὅτι (for) αὐτῶν (theirs) ἐστιν (is) ἡ (the) βασιλεία (kingdom) τῶν (of the) οὐρανῶν (heavens).

No variants attested for in Matthew. I repeat: no variants attested, not a single one.
The yellow highlight shows the variants for Luke, all of them: Luke doesn't have an extant variant for "kingdom of the heavens" that Matthew has.
So indeed Tertullian can't have been reading Luke when he said (there will be a note on this translation at the end)

“Blessed are the needy” (for no less than this is required for interpreting the word in the Greek, 3937 “because theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

What does Thomas have? Logion 33:

ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲓ̅ⲥ̅ ϫⲉ ϩⲛ̄ ⲙⲁⲕⲁⲣⲓⲟⲥ ⲛⲉ ⲛ ϩⲏⲕⲉ ϫⲉ ⲧⲱⲧⲛ̄ ⲧⲉ ⲧ ⲙⲛ̄ⲧ ⲉⲣⲟ ⲛ ⲙ̄ ⲡⲏⲩⲉ`
ⲡⲉϫⲉ- ⲓⲥ ϫⲉ- ϩⲟⲉⲓⲛⲉ ⲙⲁⲕⲁⲣⲓⲟⲥ ⲛⲉ ⲛ- ϩⲏⲕⲉ ϫⲉ- ⲧⲱⲧⲛ ⲧⲉ ⲧ- ⲙⲛⲧ- ⲣⲣⲟ ⲛ- ⲛ- ⲡⲏⲩⲉ
said IS : some(PL) Fortunate are the(PL) poor : yours(PL.F) is(F) the(F) reign-of(F) king of the(PL) heavens

Usual three rows. We're fortunate (pun!) to have Thomas use the Greek loanword here, one of theroughly 500 ocassions out of the roughly 6,500 words in his text.
That's a verbatim match with what Tertullian says, and of course there's no addition of "of spirit" in Thomas - but hang on, Thomas also has "yours", and that's not what Tertullian says. What else does he say? He's also fortunate to find ample quotes from the Tanakh and happily rambles on about them, as long as they contain the word poor or needy. He moves on to the next beatitudes but reiterates "Blessed are the needy, because theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
And that's it, basically - we have a match to no one here. Luke misses the "heavens", Matthew has the extra "of spirit", and Thomas has "yours" in stead of "theirs"

Epiphanius

Pan. 42.11.6(5)
5. “And the whole multitude sought to touch him. And he lifted up his eyes,” 38 and so forth.
6. “In the like manner did your fathers unto the prophets.” 39

That's it, nothing to go on here. The footnotes point to the verses

Eznik? I only have a French version, need to do some more digging - that is, if it proves to be any helpful at all, which it hasn't done so far:

§ II. Non-opposition de la loi ancienne et de la loi nouvelle (les « Antithèses » d'une façon très générale
et sur quelques points pratiques)
I. PAUVRETÉ, MISÉRICORDE, COMMANDEMENTS
1. Oppositions que les Maxcionites allèguent.
405 [IV. xii] 1. Mais, à tel point, disent-ils, [276] est opposée la Loi du Juste, à la Grâce de Jésus, que, là, béatitude aux riches est donnée 4 (967), et misère aux pauvres; et ici, béatitude aux pauvres, et malheur! aux riches \
2. Là, (le Juste) dit : « Point ne tue! 6 »; et ici, (Jésus) dit : « Qui se met en colère contre son prochain, sans juste raison, est passible de la géhenne 7. »
3. Là, (le Juste) dit : « Point ne commets d’adultère! 8 »; et ici, (Jésus) dit : « Qui tient les yeux fixés sur une femme mariée, pour ce qu’il la con­ voite, a déjà commis l'adultère dans son cœur*. »
4. Là, (le Juste) dit : « Point ne va faire faux serment, mais acquitte-toi envers le Seigneur de tes serments10 »; et ici, (Jésus) dit : « Du tout, point ne venez à faire de serments u ! »

Well, I'll pass.
Did we get any further? The very least we know is that Tertullian couldn't possibly be reading Luke.
Once more, with feeling, all four: Tertullian, Luke (with variants), Matthew (who has no variants), and Thomas. No fluffy wuffy, just plain English in the most literal translation. We have to keep in mind that Latin tertullian (https://www.thelatinlibrary.com/tertull ... nem4.shtml) shows the slip of the pen that Schaff so deceitfully managed to obfuscate and harmonise, by translating the first "of God" in "of heaven" and the second "of the heavens" by "of heaven". It really is revolting that, in order to study Christianity, one must distrust every single text ever written and translated, and can only resort to the texts in their native language - hell, even those could have been transcribed "faithfully", who knows?

14. [1] Venio nunc ad ordinarias sententias eius, per quas proprietatem doctrinae suae inducit, ad edictum, ut ita dixerim, Christi: Beati mendici (sic enim exigit interpretatio vocabuli quod in Graeco est), quoniam illorum est regnum dei.
[13] Igitur qui a consolatione pauperum et humilium et esurientium et flentium exorsus est, statim se illum repraesentare gestivit quem demonstraverat per Esaiam: Spiritus domini super me, propter quod unxit me ad evangelizandum pauperibus. Beati mendici, quoniam illorum est regnum caelorum;

Variants are underlined

Tertullian: Blessed are the needy, because theirs is the kingdom of (God / the heavens).
Luke: Blessed are the poor (in the spirit), for (yours / theirs) is the kingdom of God
Matthew: Blessed are the poor in the spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of the heavens
Thomas: some Blessed are the poor : yours is the kingdom of the heavens

Conclusion

It ain't easy, as they say, so let's play the annihilation game in order to reduce complexity (which is exactly the idea behind this entire OP).
Matthew's out, because he's always had "in the spirit" - strike that (hence the red).
Luke's variant there is attested by over a dozen MSS, but the likely assumption must be that it wasn't in whatever version of Luke Tertullian had. He has God, and has never had "the heavens" - so that last part must certainly come from Marcion (and it is in Thomas as well).
What about yours / theirs? Again, we must strike Matthew. Tertullian says "theirs", Luke has "theirs" according to Tertullian - but then where does this variant of "yours" come from? And the answer to that is again: Marcion (and also Thomas has it). Looking at NA28, only Washingtoniensis and ff2 (and the entire Syriac and Coptic tradition!) attests to "theirs", so it is doubtful why Tertullian reads that here, just as doubtful as why Roth does the same

This took me over two hours, it is really hard and complex work, and it requires a fair ability to read Greek and Latin, and to have and find those sources too. Other than that, when comparing to Thomas it is indispensable to also be fluent in Coptic too - although I really like to believe that my Translation at least solved that problem.
And it helps if one can read English, German, French, and a few other languages.
And even with all that, there is not conclusive evidence right here, in this first very elaborate case, for anything in Marcion. Reasonable doubt, yes. Suspicions, yes. Plausible conjecture, yes. But rock solid evidence? None of it, and it sure doesn't help that Tertullian fails to quote the same verse twice here. Was that intentional? Perhaps - but not as intentional as Schaff's purposely mistranslating and harmonising him while doing so.
The only way to do textual criticism in biblical academic, as I have learned in the past two years, is to read the native texts in their native language: the NT, the Church fathers, and the "apocrypha" - I have glanced at a bit of the Nag Hammadi Library and it is preposterous how those texts have been Christianised by their "translators". There are almost a dozen ocassions where 'wood' gets translated with 'cross':

ⲉⲓϣⲉ "crucify" NHL Codex III,2 77:15 (Gospel of the Egyptians IV,2)
ϣⲉ "cross" NHL Codex VII,2 58:13 (SECOND TREATISE OF THE GREAT SETH)
ϣⲉ "cross" NHL Codex VII,2 58:25 (SECOND TREATISE OF THE GREAT SETH)
ϣⲉ "cross" NHL Codex VII,3 81:11 (Apocalypse of Peter)
ϣⲉ "cross" NHL Codex VII,3 81:16 (Apocalypse of Peter)
ϣⲉ "cross" NHL Codex VII,3 82:6 (Apocalypse of Peter)
ⲉⲓϥⲧ "crucify" NHL Codex VII,3 82:21 (Apocalypse of Peter)
ⲁϣⲧ "crucify" NHL Codex VIII,2 139:16 (Apocalypse of Peter)
ⲁϣⲧ "crucify" NHL Codex IX,1 25:5 (Melchizedek)
ϣⲉ "cross" NHL Codex XI,2 33:18 (A VALENTINIAN EXPOSITION)

'Hang, suspend': https://coptic-dictionary.org/entry.cgi?tla=C1010

The very first thing we all need is a really literal NT, interlinear Koine Greek-English. Which variants to follow there? That's the first problem LOL.
Perhaps, within a decade or one, two, we will have all that at our finger tips, online, and anyone can read what a text really says...

It'll still be a lot of work.
And coming full circle, this post starts with "take the unambiguous statements from our dearly beloved Church Fathers about that what Marcion allegedly had different" - and that condition isn't met at all in this specific case
mlinssen

Klinghardt's complete Marcion in English - let the (end)games truly begin

Post by mlinssen »

This just in

It's a masterpiece, and the Reconstruction is loaded with all the Greek and Latin, and variants. I've quickly scanned it, it will be a lot of work to process it but it is absolutely more than worth it.
My Commentary is underway as well, and I'm slightly over 1/3rd there, with some 3-6 months to go before I'll get to logion 51 which will put me at slightly over 50% of Thomas, at which point I will make its final publication on academia.edu and Researchgate.
Meanwhile, minor but significant changes are made to the Translation as a result, and I'll publish v1.9 of that along with Part II of the Commentary - at some distant point in the future the full versions of both will see the light, and that will highly likely be via a publishing house, yet there must be a proper eBook version of both above all

And somewhere in between I'll have to work my way through these 1,500 pages and parallel this magnificent reconstruction with Thomas so that it becomes apparent that Coptic Thomas (sic, yes, indeed) is the very first "gospel" (albeit never intended as one at all whatsoever) which Marcion took into a narrative, after which Mark quickly released a proto-copy of that - and the rest is history (and a much longer story LOL)

Fortunately, I have received some magnificent feedback and most competent support over the last months which have made me decide to postpone working life yet a tiny bit longer, and to put in another 9-12 fulltime months of working on my own projects and this (really very exciting) new one.
It is all coming to a close, and I am anxious to see what the near future will bring
Attachments
Klinghardt's complete Marcion, in English (2021)
Klinghardt's complete Marcion, in English (2021)
photo_2021-10-07_15-04-06.jpg (92.64 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
Last edited by mlinssen on Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
lsayre

Re: Minimal Marcion

Post by lsayre »

I presume 'Part 2' is sitting beneath 'Part 1'.

Where can these English translations be purchased?
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Mlinssen!!

You're back!
Welcome!
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

lsayre wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:11 am I presume 'Part 2' is sitting beneath 'Part 1'.

Where can these English translations be purchased?
I live next door so purchased them at the source: Peeters, https://www.peeters-leuven.be/detail.ph ... ber_str=41
195 euro plus S&H for 1400+ pages

Help yourself and break that price down into $/hour of your reading perusal, and it's a bargain.
It took a bit over a week to get it from Belgium to the Netherlands, not too bad
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Charles Wilson wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:16 am Mlinssen!!

You're back!
Welcome!
LOL. Thanks Charles, doubt that I'll stick around though. But you know where to find me ;-)
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

lsayre wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:34 am Ouch! $285 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Oldest-Gospel-Fo ... 9042943092
Hence my comment.
Listen, you can purchase e.g. Goodacre's Thomas and the Gospels, https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Gospels-T ... 0802867480
Break down that $ 37.47 into a page price and you'll sit at 15.8 $-cent per page. And the book you'll get will be mediocre at best, half of which is just mere filling, among others talking about verbatim agreements between Thomas and the Synoptics (duh, really?!). The other half will pretend to demonstrate direction of dependence but in essence it will do nothing more than point out verbatim agreement, and a bit of rhetoric is deployed to fool the gullible into believing the claims made by Goodacre in the Intro. But it will be a total waste, not only of your money, but most importantly of your time.
And if anyone else but Goodacre had published it, it would have been binned on the spot and perhaps no one would have even deemed it worthy of a review

But you can take that page price of 15.8 $-cent and multiply it with 1,400 - and the sum total will be $ 222.28.
And you'll have an unprecedented masterpiece of sheer and shining quality, combining the very sources to Marcion all in their native text(s), including variants, and it will come in every form, and you'll love Appendix III which is just so much more informational and complete than Roth's

Let me throw in my own unprecedented masterpiece (I'm in a generous mood today!), the Complete Thomas Commentary, Prologue through logion 51, which will be available to you in 3-6 months ... for free.
A guesstimated 500 pages, so you'll save 500 * 15.8 $-cent = $ 79.34! LOL