My translation of Loman's QUAESTIONES PAULINAE: Prolegomena (part I)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
flowers_grow

My translation of Loman's QUAESTIONES PAULINAE: Prolegomena (part I)

Post by flowers_grow »

Quaestiones Paulinae was where Dutch radical criticism started in earnest. It was published in Theologisch Tijdschrift in 1882. A.D. Loman, unlike van Manen, isn't represented in English at all. Loman was not only skeptical about the authenticity of all the Pauline epistles, but also because he doubted the existence of the historical Jesus. He caused some waves when he gave a lecture about this in December 1881 in the Vrije Gemeente, a very liberal offshoot of the Dutch Reformed Church.

Van Manen initially disagreed with him on this evaluation of the Pauline epistles, but in time was convinced.

A number of articles titled Quaestiones Paulinae appeared over the years in Theologisch Tijdschrift; I hope to translate more of it in time into English. Besides this an interesting work by Loman is "Loman's Nalatenschap", a work by Loman posthumously published by Van Manen and Meyboom, which is about the epistle to the Galatians.

Here's my translation of the Prolegomena, part I.

https://flowers-grow.github.io/quaestio ... _1882.html

Enjoy!