Vessels in the NT

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Vessels in the NT

Post by mlinssen »

Matthew 12:29 Ἢ (Or) πῶς (how) δύναταί (is able) τις (anyone) εἰσελθεῖν (to enter) εἰς (into) τὴν (the) οἰκίαν (house) τοῦ (of the) ἰσχυροῦ (strong man) καὶ (and) τὰ (the) σκεύη (goods) αὐτοῦ (of him) ἁρπάσαι (to plunder), ἐὰν (if) μὴ (not) πρῶτον (first) δήσῃ (he bind) τὸν (the) ἰσχυρόν (strong man)? καὶ (And) τότε (then) τὴν (the) οἰκίαν (house) αὐτοῦ (of him) διαρπάσει (he will plunder).
Mark 3:27 ἀλλ’ (But) οὐ (not) δύναται (is able) ⇔ οὐδεὶς (no one), εἰς (into) τὴν (the) οἰκίαν (house) τοῦ (of the) ἰσχυροῦ (strong man) εἰσελθὼν (having entered), τὰ (the) σκεύη (goods) αὐτοῦ (of him) διαρπάσαι (to plunder), ἐὰν (if) μὴ (not) πρῶτον (first) τὸν (the) ἰσχυρὸν (strong man) δήσῃ (he binds). καὶ (And) τότε (then) τὴν (the) οἰκίαν (house) αὐτοῦ (of him) διαρπάσει (he will plunder).

Mark 11:16 καὶ (And) οὐκ (not) ἤφιεν (He would permit) ἵνα (that) τις (anyone) διενέγκῃ (should carry) σκεῦος (a vessel) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) ἱεροῦ (temple).
Luke 8:16 Οὐδεὶς (No one) δὲ (now) λύχνον (a lamp) ἅψας (having lighted), καλύπτει (covers) αὐτὸν (it) σκεύει (with a vessel), ἢ (or) ὑποκάτω (under) κλίνης (a bed) τίθησιν (puts it), ἀλλ’ (but) ἐπὶ (on) λυχνίας (a lampstand) τίθησιν (puts it), ἵνα (so that) οἱ (those) εἰσπορευόμενοι (entering in) βλέπωσιν (may see) τὸ (the) φῶς (light).

Luke 17: 31 ἐν (In) ἐκείνῃ (that) τῇ (-) ἡμέρᾳ (day), ὃς (the one who) ἔσται (will be) ἐπὶ (on) τοῦ (the) δώματος (housetop), καὶ (and) τὰ (the) σκεύη (goods) αὐτοῦ (of him) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) οἰκίᾳ (house), μὴ (not) καταβάτω (let him come down) ἆραι (to take away) αὐτά (them); καὶ (and) ὁ (the one) ἐν (in) ἀγρῷ (the field), ὁμοίως (likewise) μὴ (not) ἐπιστρεψάτω (let him return) εἰς (to) τὰ (the things) ὀπίσω (behind).
John 19:29 σκεῦος (A vessel) ἔκειτο (had been set there) ὄξους (of sour wine) μεστόν (full); σπόγγον (a sponge) οὖν (therefore) μεστὸν (filled) τοῦ (with) ὄξους (sour wine), ὑσσώπῳ (a stalk of hyssop) περιθέντες (having put on), προσήνεγκαν (they brought) αὐτοῦ (it) τῷ (to the) στόματι (mouth).
Acts 9:15 Εἶπεν (Said) δὲ (however) πρὸς (to) αὐτὸν (him) ὁ (the) Κύριος (Lord), “Πορεύου (Go), ὅτι (for) σκεῦος (a vessel) ἐκλογῆς (of choice) ἐστίν (is) μοι (to Me) οὗτος (this man), τοῦ (-) βαστάσαι (to carry) τὸ (the) ὄνομά (name) μου (of Me) ἐνώπιον (before) (τῶν) (the) ἐθνῶν (Gentiles), τε (and) καὶ (also) βασιλέων (kings), υἱῶν (the sons) τε (then) Ἰσραήλ (of Israel);

Acts 10:11 καὶ (and) θεωρεῖ (he beholds) τὸν (-) οὐρανὸν (heaven) ἀνεῳγμένον (opening), καὶ (and) καταβαῖνον (descending) σκεῦός (a vessel) τι (certain), ὡς (as) ὀθόνην (a sheet) μεγάλην (great), τέσσαρσιν (by four) ἀρχαῖς (corners) καθιέμενον (being let down) ἐπὶ (upon) τῆς (the) γῆς (earth),

Acts 10:16 Τοῦτο (This) δὲ (now) ἐγένετο (took place) ἐπὶ (for) τρίς (three times), καὶ (and) εὐθὺς (immediately) ἀνελήμφθη (was taken up) τὸ (the) σκεῦος (vessel) εἰς (into) τὸν (-) οὐρανόν (heaven).

Acts 11:5 “Ἐγὼ (I) ἤμην (was) ἐν (in) πόλει (the city) Ἰόππῃ (of Joppa) προσευχόμενος (praying), καὶ (and) εἶδον (I saw) ἐν (in) ἐκστάσει (a trance) ὅραμα (a vision), καταβαῖνον (descending) σκεῦός (a vessel) τι (certain) ὡς (like) ὀθόνην (a sheet) μεγάλην (great), τέσσαρσιν (by four) ἀρχαῖς (corners) καθιεμένην (being let down) ἐκ (out of) τοῦ (-) οὐρανοῦ (heaven), καὶ (and) ἦλθεν (it came down) ἄχρι (as far as) ἐμοῦ (me).

Acts 27:17 ἣν (which) ἄραντες (having taken up), βοηθείαις (supports) ἐχρῶντο (they began using), ὑποζωννύντες (undergirding) τὸ (the) πλοῖον (ship). φοβούμενοί (Fearing) τε (then) μὴ (lest) εἰς (into) τὴν (the) Σύρτιν (sandbars of Syrtis) ἐκπέσωσιν (they should fall), χαλάσαντες (having lowered) τὸ (the) σκεῦος (gear), c οὕτως (thus) ἐφέροντο (they were driven along).
Romans 2:21 ἢ (Or) οὐκ (not) ἔχει (has) ἐξουσίαν (authority) ὁ (the) κεραμεὺς (potter) τοῦ (over the) πηλοῦ (clay), ἐκ (out of) τοῦ (the) αὐτοῦ (same) φυράματος (lump) ποιῆσαι (to make) ὃ (one) μὲν (indeed) εἰς (unto) τιμὴν (honor) σκεῦος (vessel), ὃ (one) δὲ (however) εἰς (unto) ἀτιμίαν (dishonor)?
Romans 2:22 Εἰ (What if) δὲ (now) θέλων (desiring) ὁ (-) Θεὸς (God) ἐνδείξασθαι (to show) τὴν (the) ὀργὴν (wrath) καὶ (and) γνωρίσαι (to make known) τὸ (the) δυνατὸν (power) αὐτοῦ (of Him), ἤνεγκεν (bore) ἐν (with) πολλῇ (much) μακροθυμίᾳ (patience), σκεύη (the vessels) ὀργς (of wrath), κατηρτισμένα (having been fitted) εἰς (for) ἀπώλειαν (destruction),

Romans 9:21 ἢ (Or) οὐκ (not) ἔχει (has) ἐξουσίαν (authority) ὁ (the) κεραμεὺς (potter) τοῦ (over the) πηλοῦ (clay), ἐκ (out of) τοῦ (the) αὐτοῦ (same) φυράματος (lump) ποιῆσαι (to make) ὃ (one) μὲν (indeed) εἰς (unto) τιμὴν (honor) σκεῦος (vessel), ὃ (one) δὲ (however) εἰς (unto) ἀτιμίαν (dishonor)?

Romans 9:23 23 καὶ (also) ἵνα (that) γνωρίσῃ (He might make known) τὸν (the) πλοῦτον (riches) τῆς (of the) δόξης (glory) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἐπὶ (upon) σκεύη (the vessels) ἐλέους (of mercy), ἃ (which) προητοίμασεν (He prepared beforehand) εἰς (for) δόξαν (glory),
2 Corinthians 4:7 Ἔχομεν (We have) δὲ (now) τὸν (the) θησαυρὸν (treasure) τοῦτον (this) ἐν (in) ὀστρακίνοις (earthen) σκεύεσιν (vessels), ἵνα (that) ἡ (the) ὑπερβολὴ (surpassingness) τῆς (of the) δυνάμεως (power) ᾖ (may be) τοῦ (-) Θεοῦ (from God), καὶ (and) μὴ (not) ἐξ (from) ἡμῶν (us),

2 Corinthians 9:2 οἶδα (I know) γὰρ (for) τὴν (the) προθυμίαν (readiness) ὑμῶν (of you), ἣν (which) ὑπὲρ (concerning) ὑμῶν (you) καυχῶμαι (I boast of) Μακεδόσιν (to Macedonians), ὅτι (that) Ἀχαΐα (Achaia) παρεσκεύασται (has been prepared) ἀπὸ (from) πέρυσι (a year ago), καὶ (and) τὸ (-) ὑμῶν (your) ζῆλος (zeal) ἠρέθισεν (has been provoking) τοὺς (the) πλείονας (greater number).
2 Timothy 2:20 Ἐν (In) μεγάλῃ (a great) δὲ (now) οἰκίᾳ (house), οὐκ (not) ἔστιν (there are) μόνον (only) σκεύη (vessels) χρυσᾶ (golden) καὶ (and) ἀργυρᾶ (silver), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) ξύλινα (wooden) καὶ (and) ὀστράκινα (earthen); καὶ (and) ἃ (some) μὲν (indeed) εἰς (unto) τιμὴν (honor), ἃ (some) δὲ (however) εἰς (unto) ἀτιμίαν (dishonor).
2 Timothy 2:21 ἐὰν (If) οὖν (therefore) τις (anyone) ἐκκαθάρῃ (shall have cleansed) ἑαυτὸν (himself) ἀπὸ (from) τούτων (these), ἔσται (he will be) σκεῦος (a vessel) εἰς (for) τιμήν (honor), ἡγιασμένον (having been sanctified), εὔχρηστον (useful) τῷ (to the) δεσπότῃ (Master), εἰς (for) πᾶν (every) ἔργον (work) ἀγαθὸν (good) ἡτοιμασμένον (having been prepared).
Hebrews 9:21 Καὶ (And) τὴν (the) σκηνὴν (tabernacle) δὲ (then), καὶ (and) πάντα (all) τὰ (the) σκεύη (vessels) τῆς (of the) λειτουργίας (ministry) τῷ (with) αἵματι (blood) ὁμοίως (likewise) ἐράντισεν (he sprinkled).

Hebrews 11:7 Πίστει (By faith) χρηματισθεὶς (having been divinely instructed) Νῶε (Noah) περὶ (concerning) τῶν (the things) μηδέπω (not yet) βλεπομένων (seen), εὐλαβηθεὶς (having been moved with fear), κατεσκεύασεν (prepared) κιβωτὸν (an ark) εἰς (for) σωτηρίαν (the salvation) τοῦ (of the) οἴκου (household) αὐτοῦ (of him), δι’ (by) ἧς (which) κατέκρινεν (he condemned) τὸν (the) κόσμον (world), καὶ (and) τῆς (of the) κατὰ (according to) πίστιν (faith) δικαιοσύνης (righteousness that is), ἐγένετο (he became) κληρονόμος (heir).
1 Peter 3:7 Οἱ (-) ἄνδρες (Husbands) ὁμοίως (likewise), συνοικοῦντες (dwelling with them) κατὰ (according to) γνῶσιν (knowledge), ὡς (as) ἀσθενεστέρῳ (with a weaker) σκεύει (vessel) τῷ (with the) γυναικείῳ (female), ἀπονέμοντες (rendering) τιμήν (honor), ὡς (as) καὶ (also) συνκληρονόμοις (joint-heirs) χάριτος (of the grace) ζωῆς (of life), εἰς (so as for) τὸ (-) μὴ (not) ἐνκόπτεσθαι (to be hindered) τὰς (the) προσευχὰς (prayers) ὑμῶν (of you).
Revelation 2:27 καὶ (and) ποιμανεῖ (he will shepherd) αὐτοὺς (them) ἐν (with) ῥάβδῳ (a rod) σιδηρᾷ (of iron), ὡς (as) τὰ (the) σκεύη (vessels of) τὰ (the) κεραμικὰ (potter) συντρίβεται (are broken in pieces), a — ὡς (just as) κἀγὼ (I also) εἴληφα (have received) παρὰ (from) τοῦ (the) Πατρός (Father) μου (of Me).

Revelation 18:12 γόμον (cargo) χρυσοῦ (of gold), καὶ (and) ἀργύρου (of silver), καὶ (and) λίθου (of stone) τιμίου (precious), καὶ (and) μαργαριτῶν (of pearls); καὶ (and) βυσσίνου (of fine linen), καὶ (and) πορφύρας (of purple), καὶ (and) σιρικοῦ (of silk), καὶ (and) κοκκίνου (of scarlet); καὶ (and) πᾶν (all) ξύλον (wood) θύϊνον (citron) καὶ (and) πᾶν (every) σκεῦος (article) ἐλεφάντινον (of ivory) καὶ (and) πᾶν (every) σκεῦος (article) ἐκ (of) ξύλου (wood) τιμιωτάτου (most precious); καὶ (and) χαλκοῦ (of bronze), καὶ (and) σιδήρου (of iron), καὶ (and) μαρμάρου (of marble);

Sometimes I just dunno. Inspired / triggered by JW's latest and my own last strong man and bushel peculiar cases, I dug up all σκεύ and σκεῦ in the NT - only ditched the "day(s) Παρασκευῆς (of Preparation)".
Two verbs in here, but my on my, what JW said: hundreds of mentions in the Tanakh; 129 counts of "vessel" in the ESV Tanakh.
Don't know what to make of it, highlighted a shared parable, perhaps a start. What a load of rubbish in the NT, by the way