Genesis of Mary by Le Maguer

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Genesis of Mary by Le Maguer

Post by Giuseppe »

I am reading Genèse de Marie, Portrait d'Israël en jeune fille by Sandrick Le Maguer, a follower of Dubourg.

Interesting the interpretation of "Martha": in Hebrew it means "rebelled". Martha allegorizes the Samaria, "sister" of Jerusalem.

Oseah 14:1
Samaria shall be desolate: for she hath rebelled against her God:

Luke 10:41-42
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,

Idolatry?

“42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Replace Martha with Simon the Pharisee (=Simon of Samaria?) and you have a very similar Gospel episode.
Giuseppe

Re: Genesis of Mary by Le Maguer

Post by Giuseppe »

Interesting also to know why Jesus is denigrated as "son of Panthera" by the Toledoth Yeschu.

Panteri means in Aramaic "bloodstone". Hence, "son of Panthera" means "son of the bloodstone". Now, yaspé is similar to yosseph, hence: the Talmud speaks about the son of Joseph.

It is a case of "inversive midrash":

Genesis 39Toledoth Yeschu
Joseph is beautifulMyriam is beautiful
Joseph lives at the home of Potiphar, friend of PharaonMyriam is from a royal family
the woman of Potiphar loves only JosephJoseph loves only Myriam
a daya night
the woman of Potiphar wants to have sex with Joseph but the latter says no for respect of PotipharJoseph wants to have sex with Myriam but the latter says no because she is in a state of impurity
She insists and Joseph escapesJoseph insists and Mayriam doesn't resist
Accused injustly, Joseph is put in prisonAccused justly, Joseph Panthera is never captured

Leviticus 24
10 Now the son of an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father went out among the Israelites, and a fight broke out in the camp between him and an Israelite. 11 The son of the Israelite woman blasphemed the Name with a curse; so they brought him to Moses.

Inversion: while the Jew Joseph could become Egyptian and even Pharaon, Joseph Panthera could appear as Jew.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

"The other Mary", of Matthew 27-28.
Myriam'aheret, i.e. Mary "of after", the equivalent of "Joseph of Arimatea", i.e. "Joseph after the death".

Hence "the other Mary" is a Mary after the death of the Messiah.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Leviticus 24:10 "an Egyptian among the sons of Israel" has moved the Talmudist to reverse the biblical Joseph (a Jew who assumes a role of Egyptian) in an anti-Joseph.

Just as the gospel was never undestood by Celsus as midrash, so also the Toledoth Jeshu was never understood by Celsus as midrash.

Celsus thought that Jesus had gone to Egypt. No comment.
gryan

Post by gryan »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:37 am ...the equivalent of "Joseph of Arimatea", i.e. "Joseph after the death".
I can't find any dictionary support for that etymology of Arimatea. Instead, I find this Hebrew origin-- Ramah
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

gryan wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:59 am
I can't find any dictionary support for that etymology of Arimatea.
it is evident that you don't know Dubourg.

He writes:

Arimathea appears in it in place of the Hebrew ĤʼRY MWŢ, literally "after the death (of)" — a frequent clause in the Bible and that inaugurates, in particular, the Book of Joshua, otherwise called, through the Greek, of Jesus (YHWŜᶜ): Joseph, so-called "of Arimathea", enters in reality "after the death of" Jesus-Joshua.

(Bernard Dubourg, Le invention de Jésus, t. 1, my bold)
yakovzutolmai

Post by yakovzutolmai »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:11 am Interesting also to know why Jesus is denigrated as "son of Panthera" by the Toledoth Yeschu.

Panteri means in Aramaic "bloodstone". Hence, "son of Panthera" means "son of the bloodstone". Now, yaspé is similar to yosseph, hence: the Talmud speaks about the son of Joseph.
I was just reading how aboriginal Taiwanese (Austronesian) folk tales speak of a red stone which is impregnated by a ray of the sun to become an egg. The context is a parallel with the myth of the Apis bull (or golden calf as well), and the ray of Ra impregnating the heifer. There is also a parallel here with Cronus eating the omphalos stone, and the Ugaritic myth of Hadad dressing up his son as himself to be eaten by Cronus.

Fascinating. The pregnant egg is a motif in Gnosticism. So, if the bloodstone is associated with the propitiatory sacrifice offered to appease the rage of Cronus, then the Christian motif is obvious.

(and, if invoking Eastern paganism seems inappropriate, the context is that Japanese myths have a few specific strong parallels to Middle Eastern solar myths, so we speculate these Austronesian aboriginal islanders carried the myths from Southeast Asia, which arrived there from Sumeria or Egypt via very ancient Indian Ocean trade).
yakovzutolmai

Post by yakovzutolmai »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:27 am I am reading Genèse de Marie, Portrait d'Israël en jeune fille by Sandrick Le Maguer, a follower of Dubourg.
Have you read Joseph and Asenath?

http://markgoodacre.org/aseneth/translat.htm
Now Aseneth despised all men and regarded them with contempt; yet no man had ever seen her, for Pentephres had a tower in his house, and it was large and very high. 2. And the top storey had ten rooms in it. 3. The first room was large and pleasant; and it was paved with purple stones, and its walls were faced with precious stones of different kinds. 4. And the ceiling of that room was of gold; and within it [1] were ranged the innumerable gods of the Egyptians, in gold and silver. 5. And Aseneth worshipped all these; and she feared them and offered sacrifices to them. [2] 6. The second room contained all the finery for Aseneth's adornment and treasure chests. [3] 7. And there was much gold in it, and silver, and garments woven with gold, and precious stones of great price, and fine linens. 8. And all her girlish ornaments were there. [4] 9. The third room contained all the good things of the earth; [5] and it was Aseneth's store-house. 10. And seven virgins had the remaining seven rooms, one each. 11. And they used to wait on Aseneth, and were of the same age as she was, for they were all born on the same night as Aseneth; and they were very beautiful, like the stars of heaven, and no man or boy had ever had anything to do with them. 12. And Aseneth's large room, where she spent her time, [6] had three windows. 13. One window looked out over the courtyard to the east: the second looked to the north, onto the street; and the third to the south. 14. And a golden bed stood in the room, facing the east. 15. And the bed had a coverlet of purple woven with gold, embroidered with blue, and fine linen. 16. In this bed Aseneth used to sleep alone, and no man or woman ever [7] sat upon it, except Aseneth only. 17. And there was a great court all round the house, and a wall round the court, very high and built of great rectangular stones. 18. And there were four gates to the court, overlaid with iron; and eighteen strong young men-at-arms used to guard each one of them. 19. And along the wall inside the court every kind of beautiful tree that produces fruit had been planted; and the fruit on every one of them was ripe, for it was harvest time. 20. And on the right of the court there was an ever-bubbling [8] spring of water, and beneath the spring a great cistern [9] that received the water from the spring and out of which a river flowed through the middle of the court and watered all the trees in it.
And Joseph kept his father Jacob's face before his eyes continually,[10] and he remembered his father's commandments; for Jacob used to say to Joseph and his brothers, "Be on your guard, my children, against the strange woman, and have nothing to do with her, for she is ruin and destruction. 7. That is why Joseph said, "Tell that woman to go away." [11] ) 8. And Pentephres said to him, "My lord, the woman you have seen in the storey at the top is no stranger: she is our daughter, a virgin, who detests men; and no other [12] man has ever seen her, apart from you today. 9. And if you wish it, she shall come and speak with you; for our daughter is your sister. 10. And Joseph was overjoyed because Pentephres said, "She is a virgin who detests men." 11. And Joseph answered Pentephres and his wife and said, "If she is your daughter, then let her come, for she is my sister, and I will regard [13] her as my sister from to-day."
And Aseneth said to him, "Come, my lord, come into my house;" and she took his right hand and brought him [1] inside her house. 2. And Joseph sat down on her father Pentephres's seat, and she brought water to wash his feet; and Joseph said to her, "Let one of your virgins come, and let her wash my feet." 3. And Aseneth said to him, "No, my lord, for my hands are your hands, and your feet my feet, [2] and no one else shall wash your feet;" and so she had her way and washed his feet.
And the gates of the court that looked east were opened, and Joseph came in, sitting in Pharaoh's viceroy's chariot. 5. And there were four horses yoked together, white as snow, with golden reins; and the chariot was covered over [1] with gold. 6. And Joseph was wearing a marvellous white tunic, and the robe wrapped around him was purple, made of linen woven with gold: there was a golden crown on his head, and all round the crown were [2] twelve precious stones, and above the stones twelve golden rays; and a royal sceptre was in his right hand. 7. And he held an olive branch stretched out, and there was much fruit on it.
And she looked up and saw a man like Joseph in every respect, with a robe and a crown and a royal staff. 9. But his face was like lightning, and his eyes were like the light of the sun, [11] and the hairs of his head like flames [12] of fire, and his hands and feet like iron from the fire. 10. And Aseneth looked at him, and she fell on her face at his feet in great fear and trembling. 11. And the man said to her, "Take heart, Aseneth, and do not be afraid; but stand up, [13] and I will speak to you." 12. And Aseneth got up, and the man said to her, "Take off the black tunic you are wearing and the sackcloth round your waist, [14] and shake the ashes off your head, and wash your face with water. 13. And put on a new robe that you have never worn before, [15] and tie your bright girdle round your waist -- the double girdle of your virginity. 14. And then come back to me, and I will tell you what I have been sent to you to say." 15. And Aseneth went into the room where her treasure-chests and the finery for her adornment were; [16] and she opened her wardrobe and took out a new, fine robe, and she took off her black robe and put on the new and brilliant one. 16. And she untied the rope and the sackcloth round her waist; [17] and she put on the brilliant double girdle of her virginity -- one girdle round her waist and the other round her breast. 17. And she shook the ashes off her head, and washed her face with pure water, and covered her head with a fine and lovely veil.
And she came back to the man; and when the man saw her he said to her, "Take now the veil off your head, for to-day you are a pure virgin and your head is like a young man's." 2. So she took it off her head; and the man said to her, "Take heart, Aseneth, [1] for lo, the Lord has heard the words of your confession. 3. Take heart, Aseneth, [2] your name is written in the book of life, and it will never be blotted out. 4. From to-day you will be made new, and refashioned, and given new life; and you shall eat the bread of life and drink the cup of immortality, and be anointed with the unction of incorruption. [3] 5. Take heart, Aseneth: [4] lo, the Lord has given you to Joseph to be his bride, and he shall be your bridegroom. 6. And you shall no more be called Aseneth, but 'City of Refuge' shall be your name; for many nations shall take refuge in you, and under your wings shall [5] many peoples [6] find shelter, [7] and within your walls those who give their allegiance to God in penitence will find security. 7. For Penitence is the Most High's daughter and she entreats the Most High on your behalf every hour, [8] and on behalf of all who repent; [9] for he is the father of Penitence [10] and she the mother of virgins, and every hour she petitions him for those who repent; for [11] she has prepared a heavenly bridal chamber for those who love her, [12] and she will look after them for ever.
You can read the whole thing.

Some say this is "hiding" Christian doctrine in a Jewish text. However, these are obviously motifs from Syrian mysticism. This is Hadad and Astarte, more or less.

Regardless, I think Joseph (or Joshua, or Jacob/Israel) was originally Hadad anyway. I don't think Joseph and Asenath is the integration of foreign mysticism into a Jewish narrative. I definitely don't think it's a secret application of Christian beliefs to a Jewish narrative. Rather, I think this is the original narrative of Joseph and the moon goddess of Syria which has been updated with the names from the Pentateuch. It could even be the case that the Pentateuch was written out of these original myths.

Polytheistic myth -> Pentateuch story of a historical Joseph -> Mythological motifs reapplied to pseudo-historical narrative

The key is understanding that there is a common mythological basis for both the stories of the patriarchs and the esoteric tradition behind Gnosticism and Christianity.

In terms of historicity, the Christian narrative is constructed out of this esoteric tradition, not some history. Where historicity comes in may be in whether a historical person was identified as the secret Adam, or incarnation of this - as you call - Joshua spirit.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Le Maguer notes that in Luke 4:22

"Is not he the son of Joseph, this?"

...the presence of 'this' seems to be an useless clarification. It is explained by the fact that, in Joshua 1:2, 4, 6, 8, 11 we have equally the same useless clarification:

1 After the death of Moses the Lord’s servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead this people, the Israelites, across this Jordan River into the land I am giving them. 3 I promise you what I promised Moses: ‘Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you— 4 from the Negev wilderness in the south to this Lebanon mountains in the north, from the Euphrates River in the east to the Mediterranean Sea in the west, including all the land of the Hittites.’ 5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.

6 “Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead this people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. 8 Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. 9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

10 Joshua then commanded the officers of Israel, 11 “Go through the camp and tell the people to get their provisions ready. In three days you will cross this Jordan River and take possession of the land the Lord your God is giving you.”

Why the need of clarify this Jordan, this people, this Torah? Are there two Jordans, two peoples, two Torahs?

The occurrence again and again of "this" leads to conclude that the Book of Joshua is the book of the concretizazion/fulfillment of the people of Israel and of the Torah.

By extension, in passages as
"Is not he the son of Joseph, this?"

Jesus/Joshua works this concretizazion/fulfillment of the Torah.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

yakovzutolmai wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:42 am
Regardless, I think Joseph (or Joshua, or Jacob/Israel) was originally Hadad anyway.
a past Mythicist, Doujardin, said something of similar about the presence of an old Joshua cult marginalized out of the Roman Empire and going back. He argued that this Joshua cult was marginalized by having the deity Joshua 'degraded' to a mere biblical hero of Israel, Joshua ben Nun, a hero but only a man. In this new story (the Book of Joshua) this Joshua is made to crucify 5 kings, when in the previous myth 5 demons crucified the deity Joshua on a tree.
yakovzutolmai wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:42 am
In terms of historicity, the Christian narrative is constructed out of this esoteric tradition, not some history. Where historicity comes in may be in whether a historical person was identified as the secret Adam, or incarnation of this - as you call - Joshua spirit.
Interesting, your Theudas/"Joshua" may be the doubting Thomas, made "doubting" to neutralize in advance the hearsay about a rival Christ ("twin" of the catholic Christ) being the true risen Christ.