Was Adonis portrayed as a boar?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Was Adonis portrayed as a boar?

Post by Giuseppe »

As the myth goes, one day, Adonis was gored by a wild boar during a hunting trip and died in Aphrodite's arms as she wept.

Is a recognized fact of the history of religions that the sacrifical acts are carried from the subject to the object in the legends that are derived from them ?

I mean: Adonis was a boar and only after he was imagined as killed by the boar.
neilgodfrey

Re: Was Adonis portrayed as a boar?

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 pm As the myth goes, one day, Adonis was gored by a wild boar during a hunting trip and died in Aphrodite's arms as she wept.

Is a recognized fact of the history of religions that the sacrifical acts are carried from the subject to the object in the legends that are derived from them ?

quite likely -- and in connection with the famous love goddess I'm reminded of what a boar is commonly known to do: eats[,] roots and leaves

1861976771.jpg
1861976771.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 689 times
billd89

Re: Adon of Afqa

Post by billd89 »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 pmIs a recognized fact of the history of religions that the sacrifical acts are carried from the subject to the object in the legends that are derived from them ?
Elaborate. Clarify.
As the myth goes, one day, Adonis was gored by a wild boar during a hunting trip and died in Aphrodite's arms as she wept.
I presume this topic is coming off my thread. From my review of (Lebanese/Syrian) Phoenician myths, there are many variants. The Adon of Afqa may be one of the original variants (I'm doubtful), but scholars have suggested several at this one site: a) the infant Adon, sacrificed b) the youth Adonis, murdered in jealousy c) Ershmun the Hunter, complex.
Apollo is the Boar, in the Greek Myth. Adonis was human in the Afqa Myth; he is not reborn as a pig. Adon the Sacrificed Infant had a mortal father (King Cinyras) and mother (+Daughter =Incest Myth). Adonis the Gored Youth and Ershmun the Healer are conflated with many differing symbolic elements also. Personally I found the myth very confusing/complex/uncertain, and because scholars give a very wide range of interpretations, so it is 'murky' not factual.

Logically & intuitively (to me): the 'bleeding river' was first a prehistoric menstrual FEMALE symbol associated with fertility, prostitution, abortion/miscarriage. Note the reported orgies and/or ritual prostitution at Springtime, when the vermillion sediment appeared in the river water. These customs supposedly continued into the 19th C AD! Women climbed to the mountains, to wail over Winter's lost infants & children, and to renew the cycle (re-birth) of Life - by fucking, frankly. Who likes fucking the most? Adolescent MALES. In the mountains in Spring, feral swine -very dangerous animals- are rutting too, and male youth would hunt their meat and occasionally be gored. OR kill each other in jealous rivalry? Sad! But epic, in a mundane way. Imagine the oldest feast stories among the seasonally hungry, sexualized campers visiting ancient religious pools at the source, Afqa. Then temples are built (later: to Aphrodite/Venus) for those seeking renewal/rejuvenation and healing. Ahem... Don't forget the fucking - it was all about the fucking. And abit of Death/Murder.

Last edited by billd89 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giuseppe

Re: Adon of Afqa

Post by Giuseppe »

billd89 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:12 am
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 pmIs a recognized fact of the history of religions that the sacrifical acts are carried from the subject to the object in the legends that are derived from them ?
Elaborate. Clarify.
translated where I want to arrive:

• The old god Joshua crucifies the archons.
  • The archons crucify the new god Jesus.
With Dyonisos it works better:
  • Dyonisos dismembers his enemies (see the fate of Pentheus).
  • Dyonisos is also killed (he is dismembered by Titans).
billd89

I don't believe Adonis is the Right Myth

Post by billd89 »

Wrong myth. Adonis wasn't transformed into a Boar, was he? And Jewish Jesus was never compared to feral swine (that I am aware of), it doesnt fit.

Kronos devoured his (Young) Son.

Or sacrificed his child, in all his finery, on an altar? (Adult Jesus was naked on a cross.) Again, which variant of the myth do you mean: where does it come from exactly? I strongly suspect the Father-Sacrificing-Son motif was an ancient (Lebanese-Syrian) Phoenician Myth which the Northern Israelite Jews had adapted, but I havent seen that proven.