Stephan Hoebeeck on the philosophical origins of Christianity

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Stephan Hoebeeck on the philosophical origins of Christianity

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:45 am
L'invention du christianisme ne consiste-elle pas dans ce double sens accordé à la livraison ?

(Nanine Charbonnel)

This point has interesting implications also about the role of Pilate in the early Gospels.

Pilate is the person who delivers Jesus to death, hence Pilate is the necessary agent who realizes the prophecy about Jesus being delivered to gentiles.

Now, historically, Pilate was the same guy who in a precise circonstance, during his trial in Rome to defend himself from the accusation of having shown too much cruelty against the Samaritan false prophet, had spoken very probably the Latin term Christus to explain who the Samaritan false prophet claimed to be.

Hence, Pilate is part and parcel of this process of transmission/delivery of the Logos Christ to the gentiles, having been Pilate the first to talk about a Christus in Rome.

By the mouth of Pilate, it was the Logos who was going to be given. Which makes virtually Pilate the first apostle of Christ in Rome.
Hi Giuseppe. Your imagination is on fire, but I have to say -- since you posted the same on vridar -- that I cannot accept any of this as anything more than imaginative speculation. As I mentioned once before, a method needs to be tested by identifying where it lacks direct supports and by assessing it against the weight of other hypotheses and by digging out the data that will disprove it if it is wrong. (I cannot put Hoebeeck in the same category as Charbonnel, either, by the way.)