A Clementine Tradition: Peter after Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: A Clementine Tradition: Peter after Paul

Post by andrewcriddle »

Clementine Recognitions
Clementine Homilies

(English Only)

Andrew Criddle
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

lsayre wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:48 pm Are the Clementines 4th century works?
In their present form yes but largely based on 2nd and 3rd century sources.
It is unclear whether the doctrine of syzygy or pairs, which is what is at issue here, is part of the very early material.
It is far more prominent in the Homilies than the Recognitions but the Homilies are generally closer to the original.

Andrew Criddle
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

the motif of an earlier false teaching opposed by a true later one is found elsewhere, independent of syzygies idea in the CH
Like Paul himself is correcting the earlier James, and in Hebrews it's found "For concerning those who were once enlightened and tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come, and then fell away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance" (the whole chapter here is referencing the gospel passing from Hebrew to Gentile is my guess)

Also it's found in Valentinian sources
"They were stronger than them in the lust for power, for they were more honored than the first ones, who had been raised above them. Those had not humbled themselves. They thought about themselves that they were beings originating from themselves alone and were without a source". Tri. Tract
This whole area describes an earlier false teaching combatted by a later correct one, yet explaining how it makes sense and was part of the divine plan all along

I would suggest this theme was a widespread belief across a whole host of different Christian sects that each expressed it in their own way
Therefore what we have here is evidence that a lot of these groups were self conscious enough to admit they were offshoots and sought to justify this. The original earlier phase that started it all disappeared probably they just couldn't compete on the same level and sort of got left behind i guess i'm left with the impression no-one cared about the original anymore only their own ideas! A simple and nice original bunch of dudes probably existed that were like some minority messianic Jewish sect that got rejected cause they wouldn't get with the program and adopt anything new