The case for Post First War Paul?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John2

Re: The case for Post First War Paul?

Post by John2 »

andrewcriddle wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:19 am
John2 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:10 am
Jax wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:28 am
The highlighted text is interesting to me. How could the author consider the church in Corinth to be ancient if it was only 20-30 years old? He refers to Paul as an ancient worthy as well.

If 1 Clement was written c. 95 CE then the Corinthian church would have been fifty to sixty years old. I don't know if that would qualify as "ancient" or what the Greek word for "ancient" is here, but if we go by the traditional dating for 1 Clement then the Corinthian church was at least half a century old in 95 CE.
The Greek is ἀρχαίαν basic meaning ancient but can mean original/there from the beginning.

Andrew Criddle

Nice. Thank you. And that fits the uses of it in Acts 15:7 and 21:16 (as per Robinson via Powell).
Jax

Post by Jax »

The highlighted text is interesting to me. How could the author consider the church in Corinth to be ancient if it was only 20-30 years old? He refers to Paul as an ancient worthy as well.

If 1 Clement was written c. 95 CE then the Corinthian church would have been fifty to sixty years old. I don't know if that would qualify as "ancient" or what the Greek word for "ancient" is here, but if we go by the traditional dating for 1 Clement then the Corinthian church was at least half a century old in 95 CE.
The Greek is ἀρχαίαν basic meaning ancient but can mean original/there from the beginning.

Andrew Criddle
Why then is the translation 'ancient' preferable?
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Jax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:57 am

Andrew Criddle
All translation is inadequate ancient is the simplest standard equivalent to ἀρχαίαν.
(In Greek ancient in a purely temporal sense would typically be παλαιός)

Andrew Criddle
Jax

Post by Jax »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:40 am
Jax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:57 am

Andrew Criddle
All translation is inadequate ancient is the simplest standard equivalent to ἀρχαίαν.
(In Greek ancient in a purely temporal sense would typically be παλαιός)

Andrew Criddle
Interesting. Thank you Andrew.

Just out of curiosity, how would you translate the passage?

Lane
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John2 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 am Powell (citing Robinson) makes an interesting observation that Acts uses the word "ancient" to describe people and events that are presented as living . . . .
Two other sources that cite different contexts where the word is used:

https://archive.org/details/vocabularyo ... 0/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/greekenglis ... 0/mode/2up
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Jax wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 am

Lane
If I was paraphrasing I would say The long established and steadfast church of the Corinthians.

Andrew Criddle
Jax

Post by Jax »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:00 pm
Jax wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 am

Lane
If I was paraphrasing I would say The long established and steadfast church of the Corinthians.

Andrew Criddle
Right on. Thank you sir.

Lane