Questions about Dating 1 Clement

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Irish1975

Re: Questions about Dating 1 Clement

Post by Irish1975 »

The governing main clause seems to be “God gave them (αὐτοὺς) up …” in v 28, which is followed by a string of accusatives in vv 29-31 that stand in apposition to αὐτοὺς. That’s my analysis anyhow.

The whole first chapter is absurdly baroque. Of the catholic, post-Marcionite redaction, that is.
Irish1975

Re: Questions about Dating 1 Clement

Post by Irish1975 »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:02 am FWIW the parallel between 1 Clement 35 and Romans 1 was noted in the 19th century ANF.
https://ccel.org/ccel/clement_rome/firs ... .xxxv.html

Andrew Criddle
Lightfoot is somewhat more positive about the connection, noting that the parallel begins at Rom 1:29, and is not confined to 1:32 (as per the ANF).

“The whole passage which follows is a reminiscence of Rom 1.29ff.” (p. 114) That’s all he has to say.

Lightfoot is widely credited for establishing the 96 AD dating of 1 Clement. He is certain that the author was bishop Clement, that the opening lines refer to a persecution of the church in Rome, that references by Hegesippus, Dionysius, and Eusebius are all corroborating evidence, and even that this Clement is also the one mentioned in the Shepherd.

I don’t know if he ever mentions the “reminiscence” of Romans in his arguments for 96 AD. I suspect he just ignored it, as did J.A.T. Robinson, Michael W. Holmes, Ehrman, etc.