Dave Allen: an analysis

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Dave Allen: an analysis

Post by neilgodfrey »

Ken Olson wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:11 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:28 pm
Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:45 am
Maciej wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:18 am Steve Mason argues that Tacitus used Jewish War. He gave some reasons why he thinks so here: (time: 57:50)
https://youtu.be/u2M3IeQLEjs?t=3471

Does anyone know if he argues this in detail in a published work?
I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows.

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, he does. On pages 163-175 of the 1992 edition of his book Josephus and the New Testament.
  • Mason, Steve. Josephus and the New Testament. Peabody, Mass: Hendrickson Publishers, 1992.
Available to all at https://archive.org/search.php?query=ma ... 0testament
Neil,

Those seem to be the pages where he discusses the Testimonium Flavianum, not Tacitus' literary relationship with Josephus. The weird things is I seem to remember Mason discussing that issue and the shared Dead Sea passage coming up, and I thought it was in the 1992 edition of Josephus and The New Testament, but now I can't find it.

Best,

Ken
Ah -- I have solved the mystery! Now everyone can relax and stop wondering how on earth I came to offer such a misdirected reply to a question about the TF and Tacitus.

I was actually reading another thread initiated by Maciej and in my mind was preparing a response to this question from maryhelena:
maryhelena wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:14 am It would be good to have a transcript of the second half of the video where Steve Mason discusses the TF.
Has Steve Mason gone into such TF detail in anything he has published?
Then after confirming the relevant pages in Steve Mason's book I "returned" to post my response but somehow, in a dark room with a crowded laptop I returned to this thread and casually noticed Maciej's request re Mason's arguments in a published work Steve Mason on the Testimonium Flavianum and placed my response here without further checking to see if this was in fact a different thread.....

Now I have satisfied myself on how I came to place my response in a thread where it was irrelevant.

It's always, well, it's sometimes nice to be able to identify how one slipped up and write about it to put everyone else's minds at rest -- I'm sure everyone was losing sleep wondering how it happened! ;)
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

neilgodfrey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm
Ken Olson wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:11 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:28 pm
Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:45 am
Maciej wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:18 am Steve Mason argues that Tacitus used Jewish War. He gave some reasons why he thinks so here: (time: 57:50)
https://youtu.be/u2M3IeQLEjs?t=3471

Does anyone know if he argues this in detail in a published work?
I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows.

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, he does. On pages 163-175 of the 1992 edition of his book Josephus and the New Testament.
  • Mason, Steve. Josephus and the New Testament. Peabody, Mass: Hendrickson Publishers, 1992.
Available to all at https://archive.org/search.php?query=ma ... 0testament
Neil,

Those seem to be the pages where he discusses the Testimonium Flavianum, not Tacitus' literary relationship with Josephus. The weird things is I seem to remember Mason discussing that issue and the shared Dead Sea passage coming up, and I thought it was in the 1992 edition of Josephus and The New Testament, but now I can't find it.

Best,

Ken
Ah -- I have solved the mystery! Now everyone can relax and stop wondering how on earth I came to offer such a misdirected reply to a question about the TF and Tacitus.

I was actually reading another thread initiated by Maciej and in my mind was preparing a response to this question from maryhelena:
maryhelena wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:14 am It would be good to have a transcript of the second half of the video where Steve Mason discusses the TF.
Has Steve Mason gone into such TF detail in anything he has published?
Then after confirming the relevant pages in Steve Mason's book I "returned" to post my response but somehow, in a dark room with a crowded laptop I returned to this thread and casually noticed Maciej's request re Mason's arguments in a published work Steve Mason on the Testimonium Flavianum and placed my response here without further checking to see if this was in fact a different thread.....

Now I have satisfied myself on how I came to place my response in a thread where it was irrelevant.

It's always, well, it's sometimes nice to be able to identify how one slipped up and write about it to put everyone else's minds at rest -- I'm sure everyone was losing sleep wondering how it happened! ;)
Check the time stamp on the posts..... My post on the other thread is hours after you made your comment that I responded to.....
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

It's all good. We're all human. A mistake was made and acknowledged. I don't think we need to argue about the nature of it. It happens.