Origins of "Gnosticism"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
billd89

Re: Origins of "Gnosticism"

Post by billd89 »

It seems to be a terminological nightmare, but beginning with the heresiologists' definition is a fair start. But not the end. Having read countless debates and qualifications, from Messina until today, I've begun to call it 'the Gnostic Tar-Baby' and haven't found or devised a satisfactory model.

For my own project (rather, to to determine any relevance thereto), I've tried to identify Gnostics at the earliest possible stages of Xianity. Like everyone else, I initially bought into the False Idea that Gnosticism came 'out of Xianity' confoundingly late. By the general assumption, Alexandria does appear to be the source or center, at least from 'Xian-preserved' sources, after about 50 AD. Yet, my nagging hunch -following Friedländer, Pearson, Stroumsa and a few others- is that 'gnosticism' is actually much older and probably comes out of Egypt - even if there's no documentation of that. How to make sense of it all???

Tracking the symbols farther back in time, I think.

Now I have just found Attilio Mastrocinque's From Jewish Magic to Gnosticism [2005]. This Italian scholar has been given short shrift by colleagues - and no one here mentions his work in any detail - because he focuses on gemstone evidence. I suspect the textualist Late Daters are insecure and dismissive of his archaeological orientation; anyway, Mastrocinque is revolutionary, unsettling the old school.

In fact, he has formulated a simple and coherent explanation for many of the difficult questions around the origin of Gnosticism. How can I say this better, more emphatically? On the (Judaic) origins of Gnosticsim, Mastrocinque's From Jewish Magic to Gnosticism is a 'Must-Read' book !!! I don't agree with all his conclusions - and I think he could have gone further, at points - but overall he has brilliantly re-oriented the discussion to the 'heretical' Judeo-Egyptian god Ialdabaoth, a major pre-Xian deity.

On another thread, I excerpted a tiny fraction of his Ialdabaoth analysis; here I want to highlight his references to the Jewish Temple at Leontopolis.

p.74: On a gem found at Sakkara and conserved in New York, the leontocephalous {i.e. snake-entwined lion-headed figure} divinity is accompanied by an inscription identifying him with the god of Leontopolis, lord of thunder, lightning and wind, whose names are Mios, Miosi, Armios, Ousinnios, Phre, Simiephe, Phnouto, Phos, Pyr and Phlox. This is the lion-headed or leontomorphic god Mios of Leontopolis, identified with Re (in the form Phre), Horus (in the form Harmios), Osiris (in the form Ousirmios), and described as Great God (in the form Phnouto), Light and Fire (Phos, Pyr and Phlox). … Given that from the 2nd century BC until the 1st century AD, not only the cult of the leonine sun-god Mios and the leonine goddess Bastet but also that of the Hebrew god flourished at Leontopolis, the figure of the lion-headed sun-god probably represented a number of deities at the same time: the leontocephalous Mios, Horus, Osiris, who were solar deities, and Yahweh, who was lord of thunder, lightning and wind. Moreover, the temple of Yahweh at Leontopolis stood on the site of the ruins of the ancient temple of ‘the fierce Bubastis’, i.e. the goddess Bastet …

pp.78-9: The lion-headed god, as we have seen, was the god of Leontopolis, a solar deity identified with Egyptian divinities. This leads to the almost inevitable conclusion that Ialdabaoth was the creation of the Jewish priests of the temple of Yahweh at Leontopolis {170 BC}. In this way the clergy were able to explain the existence of a second Temple as the result of the Egyptian Hebrews' special devotion to the first manifestation of God in a lion-headed human form; and thus it was that the Hebrew religion practised in the Heliopolitan demos merged with indigenous culture, resulting in identification of the leontocephalous lord of the cosmos with Harpocrates or Serapis.

p.131:
it is likely that in Babylonia theories had already been developed on the divine Anthropos, the Sophia of God, the angels who came down to earth, and probably also on Seth and the other more ancient beliefs underlying Gnosticism. The doctrinal system developed by these Jews no doubt included an Anthropos Son of God and (in Asia Minor) an emanation of God in the form of a snake. The system must have had numerous similarities with those of the Jews of Leontopolis. It is not clear at what stage the snake came to be perceived as be the rebellious son of Leviathan, resulting in the following perfect equation with the divine world:

God the Father Leviathan
Anthropos the Son Instructor Serpent

As a result of the Christianization of the Jews of Asia Minor, the instructor serpent was identified with the Son made flesh in Jesus Christ.

Meeting these Jewish idolaters and heretics was traumatic for the Christian preachers, who were totally unfamiliar with many of the doctrinal theories of Babylonian, Anatolian and also Egyptian Judaism. It was then that the Christians started a new kind of warfare against the devil, who was equated with the pagan snake gods also revered by diaspora Jews. The Christians gradually extended their campaign against the devil from the sphere of Jewish heresies to Greek and Roman serpentiform divinities.

p.156, n.698:
…M. Smith, The Jewish Elements in the Magical Papyri, in: Studies in the Cult of Yahweh, II (n. 3), 242-56, bas examined the Judaic or Judaizing elements in magical papyri, and has concluded that they date back to the time when the Jews of Elephantine and then those of Leontopolis did not scruple to venerate certain Egyptian gods alongside Yahweh, and when the Egyptians were not yet so hostile to the Jews. The lion-headed appearance of the Jewish god has been connected with the beliefs of the Jews of Leontopolis by S. Davies, The Lion-Headed Yaldabaoth, JRH 11, 1980-81, 495-500. On the temple of Chnum at Elephantine: W. Niederberger, Elephantine XX. Der Chnumtempel Nektanebos' 11., Mainz 1999.

p.158: The cycles of Nile flood celebrations were the high point of the religious life of the peoples of Egypt. The flood brought benefits for everyone, including the Jews, and so they too must have devised cults that allowed them to take part in the common thanksgiving to the god who had blessed the earth. This is why Chnoubis/Chnoumis came to be equated with the Jewish god and, later, Serapis with Joseph. Towards the end of repression of Judaism in Egypt {c.140 AD - I think ApJohn is older} the Apocryphon of John was composed, in which the lion-headed serpent was seen as the evil creator. This phenomenon marks a clear separation from Egyptian Hebraism and an acceptance of certain forms of Christianity.

Forms of veneration of the snake as the manifestation of the Jewish god must also have occurred in Anatolia, perhaps in imitation of the Egyptian example, though other influences are not to be ruled out; for example, worshippers of the god of Leontopolis, who were exiled after the closure of the temple by Vespasian {73 AD}, could have played a part.

An Ialdabaoth/Chnoubis gem:
Last edited by billd89 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

Very interesting, although I'm not sure about this part: "Towards the end of repression of Judaism in Egypt the Apocryphon of John was composed, in which the lion-headed serpent was seen as the evil creator. This phenomenon marks a clear separation from Egyptian Hebraism and an acceptance of certain forms of Christianity."

I would think rather that this happened before the advent of Christianity. The Apocryphon of John seem to have a pre-Christian core, which a Christian introduction was later added.
billd89

Re: A. Mastrocinque (2005)

Post by billd89 »

rgprice wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:17 am Very interesting, although I'm not sure about this part: "Towards the end of repression of Judaism in Egypt the Apocryphon of John was composed, in which the lion-headed serpent was seen as the evil creator. This phenomenon marks a clear separation from Egyptian Hebraism and an acceptance of certain forms of Christianity."

I would think rather that this happened before the advent of Christianity. The Apocryphon of John seem to have a pre-Christian core, which a Christian introduction was later added.
I accept a dating of ApJohn c.120 AD, with older content. I am not entirely satisfied with all of Mastrocinque's assumptions or conclusions in the details. However, he meticulously footnotes his points (my excerpt removes those), so that one can backtrack and adapt/enhance some of his arguments for such trivialities. Overall, his thesis is an excellent starting point and quite an alternative to the presumptuous Xian-blindered propaganda in the field: so, worthy of careful study.

Yet I find less than 3 reviews of his work on JStor - criminal!

(To be more precise: there are about five earlier mentions of his work on this site, but only Giuseppe once and quite briefly cites the book.)
Phaeded

Post by Phaeded »

"p.74: On a gem found at Sakkara and conserved in New York, the leontocephalous {i.e. snake-entwined lion-headed figure} divinity is accompanied by an inscription identifying him with the god of Leontopolis, lord of thunder, lightning and wind, whose names are Mios, Miosi, Armios, Ousinnios, Phre, Simiephe, Phnouto, Phos, Pyr and Phlox. This is the lion-headed or leontomorphic god Mios of Leontopolis, identified with Re...."

I find this highly dubious and gems are notoriously removed from their "sitz-im-leben." The oldest Roman Mithraic leontocephalus I am aware of was dug up at one of Domitian's villas, at Gandolfo, Italy (now a Papal retreat); thus after the Jewish temple ceased to exist (destroyed in c.73 CE). What exactly is the inscription naming Leontopolis? Just because that Jewish temple took over a former Egyptian location dedicated to Bast does not mean it is a lion (Bast is a cat) nor is there anything suggesting that long-surviving Jewish temple worshipped anything that far out of the Jewish mainstream.

If Onias IV (Leontopolis founding priest) and his descendants wrote the 3rd Sibylline Oracle and 3 Maccabees (and perhaps other pseudepigraphical works), then that is a much more fertile ground for locating the sources of proto-Gnostic ideas. The oracles, at least, continually failed to deliver the goods (Rome was never destroyed), and thus a different path forward out of Judaism could conceivably come out of that milieu. See also the proto-Gnostic work Eugnostos and the Treatise of Shem. Note that the 3rd Sibyl says, at the very end of that oracle, that she was accused of having a father named "Gnostos" - which might point to this nascent splinter group.

I'm interested in following your research into Mastrocinque and the problematic Ialdebaoth, but his footnotes with specifics are what matter here. Leaping from one item to the next without grounding the veracity of each claim is pointless.

Thanks,
Phaeded
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Phaeded wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:13 am "p.74: On a gem found at Sakkara and conserved in New York, the leontocephalous {i.e. snake-entwined lion-headed figure} divinity is accompanied by an inscription identifying him with the god of Leontopolis, lord of thunder, lightning and wind, whose names are Mios, Miosi, Armios, Ousinnios, Phre, Simiephe, Phnouto, Phos, Pyr and Phlox. This is the lion-headed or leontomorphic god Mios of Leontopolis, identified with Re...."

I find this highly dubious and gems are notoriously removed from their "sitz-im-leben."
Good point.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Knowledge along with inventions and skills like healing, writing even brewing beer etc was always positive and a gift from the gods with a god presiding over each one. I'm thinking of Sumerian and Egyptian pantheons here. It would be nonsensical that knowledge was a problem without some metaphysical explanation for why. The Genesis account is a reworking of older Sumerian paradise myths without a fall and these reworkings could have been inspired by the flood legend maybe, the fall of man is similar to the anger of God and causing of the flood. The gnostics appear to have been a reaction against this tendency as much as preserving prior traditions. But they would seem to have denied they were reacting against anything humans had said about God, but were reacting against a divine reality so they had to take Genesis seriously as evidence for the crime!

Incidently nothing really wrong with Gnosticism as a term. It's useful even if it can't be defined exactly. Just like the gnostic concept of an 'aeon'. It took me a while to figure out what an aeon was. An aeon could be a temporal age, a divinity, an angel, a church. It was it's lack of definition that gives it function. The multiple meanings work to re-imagine the context freely and see new meanings. Aeon can't be attributed a set meaning just like Gnosticism can't
billd89

Re: Intaglios.

Post by billd89 »

Phaeded wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:13 am "p.74: On a gem found at Sakkara and conserved in New York, the leontocephalous {i.e. snake-entwined lion-headed figure} divinity is accompanied by an inscription identifying him with the god of Leontopolis, lord of thunder, lightning and wind, whose names are Mios, Miosi, Armios, Ousinnios, Phre, Simiephe, Phnouto, Phos, Pyr and Phlox. This is the lion-headed or leontomorphic god Mios of Leontopolis, identified with Re...."

I find this highly dubious and gems are notoriously removed from their "sitz-im-leben." The oldest Roman Mithraic leontocephalus I am aware of was dug up at one of Domitian's villas, at Gandolfo, Italy (now a Papal retreat); thus after the Jewish temple ceased to exist (destroyed in c.73 CE). What exactly is the inscription naming Leontopolis? ...
In general, I also find intaglios very suspect. However, a gem found in situ (presumably: from an achaeologically reliable stratigraphic layer, etc.) at an Egyptian site is quite acceptable to me. I reject that it must be a Roman Mithraic leontocephalus, however. (Your implicit assumption that leontocephaline gods must be "Mithraic" is simply wrong.) As a side note, I also don't accept the Late Dating of Mithras insisted by some here (as explained before), but that (i.e. your conflation) is also irrelevant to the gem. Of course, opinions vary.

Mastrocinque is a leading expert on intaglios, however highly you may value your own (or my) doubts. Admittedly, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because I have a million one one other factoids/claims to check before this goose-chase. However, he discusses the specific example in greater detail at "Studies in Gnostic Gems: The Gem of Judah," JSJ 33/2,2002, pp.164-170, if you want more info.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

GNOSTICISM AS PLATONISM WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO MARSANES (NHC 10,1)*
Birger A. Pearson; University of California, Santa Barbara
  • From ancient times it has been averred that the Gnostics derived their basic ideas from the Greek philosophers, especially Pythagoras and Plato. For example,

Irenaeus (Adv. haer. 2.14) argued that the Valentinian Gnostics borrowed their doctrines of the pleroma and kenoma from Democritus and Plato.

Hippolytus (Ref. 1.11), more systematically, tried to show that the founders of the Gnostic heresies borrowed most of their ideas from Greek philosophy and religion.

The Valentinian brand of gnosis, Hippolytus (Ref. 6.21-29) argues, is derived from the philosophy of Pythagoras and Plato. [1]

Tertullian (Praesc. 7) claimed that all of the heresies were based on Greek philosophy.

Valentinus is stated specifically to be "of the school of Plato."

Plotinus (Enn. 2.9.6), the reputed founder of Neoplatonism, claimed in a famous tract that his doctrinal opponents, whom he did not identify but who were obviously Gnostics, [2] based their doctrines on a misunderstanding of Plato.

Porphyry's Life of Plotinus 16 provides us with more information on the Gnostic opponents of Plotinus, and refers to them "sectarians from the ancient philosophy," i.e., Platonism.

In our own times scholars have referred to Gnosticism as a kind of Platonism.
    Willy Theiler calls the Gnosticism of the Imperial period, both Christian and pagan (Chaldean Oracles, Hermetica), "Proletarier platonismus." [3]

Simone Petrement portrays Gnosticism as "un platonisme romantique"; [4]

A. D. Nock prefers the designation "Platonism run wild." [5]

John M. Dillon refers to the Gnostic and Hermetic writings and the Chaldean Oracles as "the 'underworld' of Platonism." [6]

It can hardly be doubted that the ingredients of the Gnostic religion in its origins and early history included a substantial dose of popular Platonism. [7]

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1509519
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:41 am GNOSTICISM AS PLATONISM WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO MARSANES (NHC 10,1)*
  • From ancient times it has been averred that the Gnostics derived their basic ideas from the Greek philosophers, especially Pythagoras and Plato. For example,

Irenaeus (Adv. haer. 2.14) argued that the Valentinian Gnostics borrowed their doctrines of the pleroma and kenoma from Democritus and Plato.

Hippolytus (Ref. 1.11), more systematically, tried to show that the founders of the Gnostic heresies borrowed most of their ideas from Greek philosophy and religion.

The Valentinian brand of gnosis, Hippolytus (Ref. 6.21-29) argues, is derived from the philosophy of Pythagoras and Plato. [1]

Tertullian (Praesc. 7) claimed that all of the heresies were based on Greek philosophy.

Valentinus is stated specifically to be "of the school of Plato."

Plotinus (Enn. 2.9.6), the reputed founder of Neoplatonism, claimed in a famous tract that his doctrinal opponents, whom he did not identify but who were obviously Gnostics, [2] based their doctrines on a misunderstanding of Plato.

Porphyry's Life of Plotinus 16 provides us with more information on the Gnostic opponents of Plotinus, and refers to them "sectarians from the ancient philosophy," i.e., Platonism.

In our own times scholars have referred to Gnosticism as a kind of Platonism.
    Willy Theiler calls the Gnosticism of the Imperial period, both Christian and pagan (Chaldean Oracles, Hermetica), "Proletarier platonismus." [3]

Simone Petrement portrays Gnosticism as "un platonisme romantique"; [4]

A. D. Nock prefers the designation "Platonism run wild." [5]

John M. Dillon refers to the Gnostic and Hermetic writings and the Chaldean Oracles as "the 'underworld' of Platonism." [6]

It can hardly be doubted that the ingredients of the Gnostic religion in its origins and early history included a substantial dose of popular Platonism. [7]

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1509519
When we assume that Chrestianity was in fact the driving force behind all or most of it, it is evident that *Ev only provided in a gospel, not in a Genesis of some kind.
And a Genesis of various kinds is what we find in the NHL and similar works, in combination with "a bit of IS, XS, Father and Lord"

And in order to establish the precedence of one text over the order, those 4 words will sketch the advancement of their Chrestology, and thus "date them".
Of course the Falsifying Fathers had to claim that none of these works were original etc - while it is undoubtedly true that inspiration for them came from everywhere, with Platonism in the lead
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

mlinssen wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:52 pm
Leucius Charinus wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:41 am GNOSTICISM AS PLATONISM
WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO MARSANES (NHC 10,1)*
And a Genesis of various kinds is what we find in the NHL and similar works, in combination with "a bit of IS, XS, Father and Lord"
Yes the gnostics rewrote the biblical Genesis account using Plato

Let's just start with the Sethian Gnostics to whom is attributed perhaps 14 of the NHL texts with perhaps another 3 texts outside the NHL.

Nag Hammadi library (9)
====================
The Apocalypse of Adam
The Apocryphon of John (mentioned by Irenaeus, c. 180) x 4 versions ~~
The Thought of Norea
The Trimorphic Protennoia (Codex XIII)
The Coptic Gospel of the Egyptians
Marsanes (+ Platonizing Sethian treatise)
Zostrianos <<<== Uses the literature of Porphyry (+ Platonizing Sethian treatise)
Three Steles of Seth <<<== Uses the literature of Porphyry (+ Platonizing Sethian treatise)
Allogenes <<<== Uses the literature of Porphyry (+ Platonizing Sethian treatise)

+ 5 (below) = 14

Extra from WIKI:

The Reality of the Rulers, Also known as The Hypostasis of the Archons
The Thunder, Perfect Mind
The Coptic Apocalypse of Paul
The Thought of Norea
The Second Treatise of the Great Seth

Outside NHL (3)
==============

* In the Revelation of the Magi, The Magi, originally Sethians,
* The Untitled Apocalypse (or The Gnosis of the Light) (Bruce Codex, c. 5th century)​
* The Gospel of Judas (Codex Tchacos, c. 300; mentioned by Irenaeus, c. 180)

Modern Scholarship

Here is a sample of what modern scholarship currently conjectures about the Sethian Gnostic. (WIKI)

Origins and development - Mainstream Paradigm

According to John D. Turner, British and French scholarship tends to see Sethianism as "a form of heterodox Christian speculation," while German and American scholarship views it as "a distinctly inner-Jewish, albeit syncretistic and heterodox, phenomenon."[1] Roelof van den Broek notes that "Sethianism" may never have been a separate religious movement, but that the term rather refers to a set of mythological themes which occur in various texts.[9] According to Turner, Sethianism was influenced by Christianity and Middle Platonism, and six phases can be discerned in the interaction of Sethianism with Christianity and Platonism.[1]

Phase 1. According to Turner, two different groups, existing before the second century CE,[10] formed the basis for the Sethians: a Jewish group of possibly priestly lineage, the so-called Barbeloites,[11] named after Barbelo, the first emanation of the Highest God, and a group of Biblical exegetes, the Sethites, the "seed of Seth."[12]

Phase 2. The Barbeloites were a baptizing group who, in the mid second century, fused with Christian baptizing groups. They started to view the pre-existing Christ as the "self-generated (Autogenes) Son of Barbelo," who was "anointed with the Invisible Spirit's "Christhood"." According to Turner, this "same anointing [was] received by the Barbeloites in their baptismal rite by which they were assimilated to the archetypal Son of Man." The earthly Jesus was regarded as the guise of Barbelo, appearing as the Divine Logos, and receiving Christhood when he was baptized.[12]

Phase 3. In the later second century CE the Christianized Barbeloites fused with the Sethites, together forming the Gnostic Sethianists. Seth and Christ were identified as bearers of "the true image of God who had recently appeared in the world as the Logos to rescue Jesus from the cross."[13]

Phase 4. At the end of the second century Sethianism grew apart from the developing Christian orthodoxy, which rejected the docetian view of the Sethians on Christ.[13]

Phase 5. In the early third century Sethianism was fully rejected by Christian heresiologists, while Sethianism shifted toward the contemplative practices of Platonism, while losing their interest in their own origins.[14]

Phase 6. In the late third century Sethianism was attacked by neo-Platonists like Plotinus, and Sethianism alienated from Platonism. In the early to mid fourth century, Sethianism fragmented into various sectarian Gnostic groups, like the Archontics, Audians, Borborites, and Phibionites. Some of these groups existed into the Middle Ages.[15]

As you see it the Falsifying Heresiological Fathers play a great influence in the above narrative. I will provide an alternate narrative which is much simpler below.
Of course the Falsifying Fathers had to claim that none of these works were original etc - while it is undoubtedly true that inspiration for them came from everywhere, with Platonism in the lead.
You will note that at least three of these Sethian NHL text above have an attribute that the author "Uses the literature of Porphyry". This dates their authorship after the circulation of the literature of Porphyry - most likely to the early 4th century.

For details see:
Porphyry and Gnosticism
Author(s): Ruth Majercik
Source: The Classical Quarterly, Vol. 55, No. 1 (May, 2005), pp. 277-292
Published by: on behalf of Cambridge University Press Classical Association
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3556255

Alternate Proposal

Origins and development of "Sethianism" - Alternate Proposal

Phase 1: 325 CE - Constantine publishes the NT bound with the LXX (and Genesis)

Phase 2: 325-336 CE - Elite Platonist writers and philosophers respond with the so-called "Sethian" tractates listed above.

For a brief discussion see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9320
Heresiology before 325 CE has been forged

The Post-Nicene Falsifying Fathers fabricated the writings of Irenaeus and others. All the entire corpus of the NT Apocryphal literature - including the NHL - is a Post-Nicene reaction to the NT Bible.

Why would the Falsifying Fathers fabricate Irenaeus et al? To remove the utterly controversial appearance of this avalanche of literature from the time the NT Bible codex appeared as a political instrument in the Roman empire. By 381 CE the end game of the Christian revolution of the 4th century was being played out. They needed to explain where all these other "Jesus and Apostle Story Books" came from, and they invented a pseudo-history. They were experienced inventors of pseudo-history. In the later 4th century these same sources invented hagiography, martyrology, the cult of saints and martyrs and the great "Holy Relic Trade". These pseudo-histories flourished for more than a thousand years during which time the NT Bible was unavailable to the people and preserved in the Back-Office.

The origins of Gnosticism IMHO was a Neo-Platonic literary reaction to the Emperor's New Books. But the Post-Nicene Falsifying Fathers invented the Ante-Nicene Falsifying Heresiologists in order to throw posterity off the actual 4th century chronology and thus the political and historical context.

We do not need to argue that the church industry lied about its own orthodox doctrines and the advent of its wonderful canonical NT, or even the lists of its bishops. Let's keep the historical Jesus on the shelf for the moment.

We only have to argue that the church industry lied about its political enemies - the gnostic heretics .