Synopsis Marcion's Pauline Epistles and the Canonical Pauline Epistles

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Synopsis Marcion's Pauline Epistles and the Canonical Pauline Epistles

Post by MrMacSon »

Markus Vinzent has published texts of Marcion's Pauline epistles next to the canonical versions of them
https://markusvinzent.blogspot.com/2021 ... d-die.html

"In the following, a first draft of a synopsis [of] the Pauline epistles, as they result from the testimonies for Markion's collection of St. Paul's letters, and the canonical Pauline epistle texts ...

"The comparison is based on Ulrich Schmid, Jason BeDuhn [+/- Vinzent's own observations] ... a good overview is given by the work of these two colleagues."

Galatians [verses probably align best using a computer screen, full width]

the Marcionite text
the Orthodox/Catholic text
1,1 Paul, called to be an apostle, not by men or by a man, but by Jesus Christ
2 ............. to the churches in Galatia
3 Grace be with you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,
6 I am amazed that you are so quick to turn from the One who has called you by grace to another gospel.
7 There is no other gospel, there are only a few people who confuse you and who want to falsification the gospel of Christ.

8 However, even if we ourselves or an angel from heaven preached to you a gospel other than the one we have preached, he is cursed.

9 Whoever proclaims to you a different gospel [contrary to the one you have accepted - be cursed.]

[11 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I have preached does not come from men; 12 I did not take it from a man or learn it, but received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ
13 You have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism and know how excessively I persecuted and sought to destroy the Church of God.
14 In Judaism, I made greater progress than most of my peers in my people and With the greatest zeal I stood up for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when it pleased God, who had already chosen me in the womb and called by his grace to reveal in me his Son in 16, that I may proclaim him among the nations, I did not consult flesh and blood;

17 Nor did I immediately go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me]

2,1 [Fourteen years(?)] I went up to Jerusalem

2 I presented to [him] the gospel [which I proclaim among the nations]; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't running into the void.

3 But not even my companion Titus, who is Greek, was forced to be circumcised.

4 For as for the false brethren, those invaders who had crept in to spy on and enslave the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, 5 we have not submitted to them for a moment.

9 [And they recognized the grace which is bested on me] That is why Peter, James, and John gave Me and Barnabas the right hand [for the sign of communion:] We should go to the Gentiles, they to the circumcised.

10 Only we should think of the poor [......]

11 When Peter [but came to Antioch], I resisted him in the face [because] he had been wrong. 12 [Before [] some arrived], he had eaten with the Gentiles. [After their arrival], however, he withdrew and separated himself because he feared them from circumcision.

13 [And with him the hypocritical others

14 But I saw that] they did not approach the truth of the gospel in a straight line

16 A man is not justified by works of law, but by faith alone [and we believe in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of law].

18 [For] if I rebuild what I have torn down, [then I present myself as a transgressor.]

20 What I now live in the flesh, I live in faith in the Son of God who bought me.

3,1 [You unreasonable Galatians, who blinded you? Has Jesus Christ not been clearly presented to you as the Crucified One? 2 I would like to know this from you: Have you received the Spirit through the works of the law or by listening to the message of faith?

5 Why does God give you the Spirit and bring about acts of power among you? From works of law or from listening to the message of faith?]

10 But those who live from the works of the law are under a curse. Because it is written: Cursed is anyone who does not adhere to everything that the Book of the Law prescribes to do. 11 [That no one is justified before God by the law is obvious;] for he who is righteous out of faith will live.

12 [For the law, however, it is not out of faith] but that he who fulfils the commandments will live through them. 13 Christ freed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us; [because it is written:] Anyone who hangs on the wood is cursed.

14 we thus receive the promised Spirit through faith.

22 [but] Scripture has included everything under sin [that the promise of faith in Christ may be given to those who believe.]

26 For all of you are sons by faith.

4,1 But I still speak in the manner of man.

3 Thus, as long as we were immature, we too were slaves to the elemental powers of this world. 4 But when the time was fulfilled, God sent His Son ........

5 That he may buy free those who are under the law, and that we may attain sonship. 6 But because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who cries out: Abba, Father.
7 [Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; but if you are a son, then also an inheritance, an inheritance of God.

8 But once when you did not know God,] you were slaves of the gods, who in reality are not. 9 But how can you [now that you have known God, even more so have been known by God], return to the weak and poor elemental powers? Why do you want to become their slaves again? 10 Why do you pay so much attention to days, months, certain times and years?

19 my children, for whom I suffer new birth pangs ,[until Christ takes shape in you.]

21 Tell me that ye want to submit to the law, have you never heard the law?
22 [It is written:] Abraham had two sons, one of the slave, the other of the free. 23 That of the slave was begotten according to the flesh, that of the free according to the promise.

24 This is figuratively speaking: These (women) mean two covenants. One comes from Mount Sinai, which gives birth to the synagogue of the Jews according to the law, to slavery;

25 the other gives birth high above all sovereignty, power and dominion and (over) every name that is mentioned not only in this world time, but also in the future. 26 For this is our Mother, to whom we have promised ourselves.

31 So it follows, my brothers and sisters, that we are not children of the slave, but children of the free.

5,1 Christ has set us free for freedom . . . . . ..do not let a yoke of bondage be imposed on you again, which is the law!

3 Again, I testify to every man who allows himself to be circumcised: he is obliged to keep the whole law

6 [For] in Christ neither circumcision nor uncircumcision can do anything, but faith that works through love.

9 A little sourdough activates the whole dough.
10 ....Whoever confuses you will have to bear the verdict.

14 For the whole law is fulfilled in the one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself!

16 [But I say, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the desire of the flesh!17 For the flesh desires against the Spirit, the Spirit against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, that ye may not do what ye will. 18 But if ye allow yourselves to be eded by the Spirit, then ye are not under the law.]

19 The works of the flesh are clearly recognizable: fornication, impurity, debauchery, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, self-interest, divisions, partisanship, 21 envy, excessive drinking and eating [and the like.] I foretold you, as I foretold earlier: He who does such a thing will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 [But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 meekness and abstinence; against all this the law is not. 24 and] who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh and thus their passions and desires.

2 One bears the burden of the other; thus you will fulfill the law of Christ.

6 Whoever is instructed in the word of the gospel may share in all goods to him who instruct him. 7 Do not be deceived: God will not mock him; for what man sows, he will reap. 8 [For he who sows upon his own flesh] shall reap perdition [of the flesh]; [whoever sows on the Spirit] will reap life from the Spirit. 9 Let us not tire of doing good; [because if we don't let up in this,] we will reap as soon as the time comes.

10 [Therefore], as long as we have time, let us do good to all people.

12 [Those people who seek recognition in the flesh require you to be circumcised only] so that they will not be persecuted because of the cross of Christ.
13 For although they are circumcised, they themselves do not keep the law

14 .... The world is crucified to me and I to the world

16 [Peace and mercy come upon all] who follow this principle ...

17 For I carry the signs of Jesus' suffering on my body.
1 Paul, called to be an apostle, not by men or by a man, but by Jesus Christ and by God the Father who raised him from the dead, 2 and all the brethren who are with me to the churches in Galatia:
3 Grace be with you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,
4 who gave himself for our sins in order to deliver us from the present evil world, according to the will of our God and Father. 5 Glory to him for all eternity. Amen.

6 I am amazed that you are so quick to turn away from the One who has called you by the grace of Christ and that you are turning to a different gospel.

7 There is no other gospel, there are only a few people who confuse you and who want to falsification the gospel of Christ.

8 However, even if we ourselves or an angel from heaven preached to you a gospel other than the one we have preached, he is cursed.

9 What I have said, I say again: Whoever preaches to you another gospel in contradiction to that which you have accepted, be cursed.

10 Am I concerned with the consent of men or am I concerned with God? Am I looking to please people? If I still wanted to please the people, then I would not be a servant of Christ.

11 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that the gospel which I have preached does not come from men; 12 I did not take it from a man or learn it, but received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.
13 You have heard of my earlier way of life in Judaism, and you know how excessively I persecuted and sought to destroy the Church of God.

14 In Judaism, I made greater progress than most of my peers in my people, and with the greatest zeal I stood up for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when it pleased God, who had already chosen me in the womb and called by his grace to reveal in me his Son in 16, that I may proclaim him among the nations, I did not consult flesh and blood;

17 Nor did I immediately go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but went to Arabia and then returned to Damascus.

18 Three years later, I went up to Jerusalem to meet Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days. 19 Of the other apostles, I saw none, only James, the brother of the Lord. 20 What I am writing to you here - behold, by God, I am not lying. 21 After that, I went to the territory of Syria and Cilicia. 22 But I personally remained unknown to the churches of Christ in Judea, 23 of them only heard that He, who once persecuted us, now proclaims the faith that he used to want to destroy. 24 And they praised God for my sake.

2,1 Fourteen years later I went back up to Jerusalem, together with Barnabas; I also took Titus with me.
2 I went up because of a revelation [and] presented to the church, especially to the respected, the gospel that I had proclaimed among the nations; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't running into the void.

3 But not even my companion Titus, who is Greek, was forced to be circumcised.

4 For as for the false brethren, those invaders who had crept in to spy on and enslave the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, 5 we have not submitted to them for a moment, and have not yielded to them, that the truth of the gospel may be unto you will be preserved. 6 But even of those who enjoy prestige — what they used to be, I don't care, God doesn't look at the person — nothing has been imposed on me even by the respected. 7 On the contrary, they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised is entrusted to me, as peter is entrusted to me for the circumcised—8 for God, who gave Peter the strength to serve the Apostles among the circumcised, gave it to me for service among the nations—
9 and they recognized the grace best given uneasily. That is why James, Cephas and John, who are regarded as the pillars, shook hands with me and Barnabas as a sign of communion: we should go to the Gentiles, they to the circumcised.

10 Only should we think of the poor; and to do so, I have worked diligently.

11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I resisted him in the face because he had been wronged. 12 Before some of James arrived, he had eaten with the Gentiles. After their arrival, however, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those from circumcision.

13 And with him the other hypocritical Jews, that Barnabas too was swept away by their hypocrisy.

14 But when I saw that they did not approach the truth of the gospel in a straight line, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you live as a Jew in the manner of the Gentiles, and not in the manner of the Jews, how can you then comprehend the Gentiles, to live like Jews? 15 We who are Jews by birth and not sinners from the Gentiles,

16 know that man is not justified by works of law, but by faith in Jesus Christ; thus we too have come to faith in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of law; for no flesh is justified by works of law.
17 If we, too, who seek to be righteous in Christ, are invented as sinners, is Christ a servant of sin? By no means!

18 For when I rebuild what I have torn down, I present myself as a transgressor.
19 For I have died by the law of the law, that I may live for God. I have been crucified with Christ.

20 It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. What I now live in the flesh, I live in faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not disregard the grace of God in any way; for if righteousness came through the law, Christ would have died in vain.

3,1 You unreasonable Galatians, who has blinded you? Has Jesus Christ not been clearly presented to you as the Crucified One? 2 I would like to know this from you: Have you received the Spirit through the works of the law or by listening to the message of faith? 3 Are you so unreasonable? You started in the Spirit and now you want to end in the flesh? 4 Have you experienced such great things in vain? If it was in vain!

5 Why does God give you the Spirit and bring about acts of power among you? From works of law or from listening to the message of faith?
6 So with Abraham: He believed God, and this was credited to him as righteousness. 7 So realize that those who live by faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And since Scripture foresaw that God would make righteous nations by faith, it taught Abraham in advance: In you all nations shall be blessed. 9 Thus they who believe are blessed with the believing Abraham.

10 But those who live from the works of the law are under a curse. Because it is written: Cursed is anyone who does not adhere to everything that the Book of the Law prescribes to do. 11 But that no one is justified before God by the law is obvious; for he who is righteous by faith shall live.

12 For the law, however, it is not out of faith, but that he who fulfils the commandments will live by them. 13 Christ freed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us; for it is written: Cursed is everyone who hangs on the wood.

14 Jesus Christ bought us free, so that through Him the blessings of Abraham might be bestowed on the nations, and thus we might receive the promised Spirit by faith.

15 Brothers and sisters, I take a comparison from human life: No one overrides or adds an addition to a man's legally established will. 16 The promises were made to Abraham and to his descendants. It does not mean: and the descendants, as if many were meant, but it is spoken of only one: and your descendant; but this is Christ. 17 By this I say that the testament to which God has previously given validity is not invalidated by the law enacted four hundred and thirty years later, so that the promise would be abolished. 18 If the inheritance were to derive from the law, it would no longer be derived from the promise. But God showed grace to Abraham through the promise.
19 Then why does the law exist? Because of the transgressions, it was added until the descendant came, to whom the promise applies. It was issued by angels and announced by an intermediary. 20 However, the intermediary is not the intermediary of one; But God is the One. 21 So does the law stand against the promises of God? By no means! If a law had been given that has the power to make alive, then justice would indeed come from the law;

22 But Scripture has enclosed all things under sin, that the promise of faith in Jesus Christ may be given unto those who believe.
23 Before faith came, we were protected by the law, kept safe until faith was to be revealed. 24 Thus the law has become our educator of Christ, that we may be made righteous by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under the educator.

26 For all of you are by faith sons of God in Christ Jesus.
27 For all of you who are baptized into Christ have attracted Christ. 28 There are no more Jews and Greeks, not slaves and freemen, not male and female; for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 But if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to the promise.

4,1 But I say that as long as the heir is immature, he is in no way different from a slave, although he is master of all things; 2 he is under guardianship and his inheritance is administered until the time determined by his father.

3 Thus, as long as we were immature, we too were slaves to the elemental powers of this world. 4 But when the time was fulfilled, God sent His Son, born of a woman and subject to the law,

5 that he may buy free those who are under the law, and that we may attain sonship. 6 But because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who cries out: Abba, Father.
7 Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; but if you are a son, then also an inheritance, an inheritance of God.

8 But once, when you did not know God, you were slaves to the gods, who in reality are none. 9 But now that you have known God, and even more so have been known by God, how can you return to the weak and poor elemental powers? Why do you want to become their slaves again? 10 Why do you pay so much attention to days, months, certain times and years?

11 I am afraid I have tried in vain for you. 12 Become like me, for I too have become like you, I ask you, brothers and sisters. You have done me no wrong. 13 But you know that in the weakness of the flesh I preached the gospel to you at that time, 14 But you did not respond with contempt and disgust to my weakness, which was a temptation for you, but welcomed me as an angel of God, like Christ Jesus. 15 So where is your Beatitude? I testify to you: If it had been possible, you would have ripped your eyes out to give them to me. 16 So have I become your enemy because I tell you the truth? 17 Those people do not zeal for you in good faith; they want to make you apostate so that you may be jealous of them. 18 It is good to zeal for the good at all times, and not only when I am with you,

19 my children, for whom I suffer new birth pangs until Christ takes shape in you.

20 I wanted I could be with you now and talk to you in a different tone; for you make me perplexed.

21 Tell me that ye want to submit to the law, have you never heard the law?
22 It is written that Abraham had two sons, one of the slave, the other of the free. 23 That of the slave was begotten according to the flesh, that of the free according to the promise.

24 This is figuratively speaking: These women mean two covenants. One comes from Mount Sinai and gives birth to slavery; that is Hagar,

25 because Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia. However, the present Jerusalem corresponds to it, because it serves as slaves with its children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; and this is our Mother.

27 For it is written: Rejoice, thou infertile one, who has never given birth, / break out in jubilation and rejoice, which thou never lay in labor! / For many children has the lonely, / more than that which has the man. 28 But ye, brothers and sisters, are children of promise like Isaac! 29 But as then the Son, who was begotten according to the flesh, the persecuted one who was begotten according to the Spirit, so it happens now. 30 But Scripture says: Push out the slave and her son! For the son of the slave should not be heir together with the son of the free.

31 So it follows, my brothers and sisters, that we are not children of the slave, but children of the free.

5,1 For freedom, Christ has set us free. Therefore, stand firm and do not let a yoke of bondage be imposed on you again!

2 Behold, I, Paul, say unto you, if you allow yourselves to be circumcised, Christ will be of no use to you.

3 I testify again to every man who allows himself to be circumcised: he is obliged to keep all the law.

4 You who want to be justified by the law are separated from Christ; you have fallen out of grace. 5 For we await, in spirit, from faith the hope of righteousness.

6 [For] in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision can do anything, but faith that works through love. 7 You were doing well. Who prevented you from continuing to follow the truth? 8 Whatever has been said to persuade you, it does not come from the one who calls you.

9 A little sourdough activates the whole dough. 10 I trust in you in the Lord that you will not think otherwise. Whoever confuses you will have to bear the judgment, whoever it is. 11 But I, brothers and sisters, if I still proclaimed circumcision, why am I persecuted? This would eliminate the annoyance of the cross. 12 These people who cause trouble in you should allow themselves to be taught right away. 13 For ye are called to freedom, brothers and sisters. Only do not take freedom as a pretext for the flesh, but serve one another in love!

14 For the whole law is fulfilled in the one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself!

15 But if ye bite and eat one another, be careful not to be devoured by the other!

16 But I say, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the desire of the flesh! 17 For the flesh desires against the Spirit, the Spirit against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, that ye may not do what ye will. 18 But if you allow yourselves to be moved by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The works of the flesh are clearly recognizable: fornication, impurity, debauchery, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, self-interest, divisions, partisanship, 21 envy, excessive drinking and eating [and the like.] I foretold you, as I foretold earlier: He who does such a thing will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 [But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 meekness and abstinence; against all this is not the law. 24 and] who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh and thus their passions and desires.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us walk in the Spirit too!
26 Let us not boast, challenge one another, and envy one another!

6,1 Brothers and sisters, if a man allows himself to be carried away by a transgression, you who are filled with the Spirit should rebuke him in the spirit of meekness. But be careful not to be tempted yourself!

2 One bears the burden of the other; thus ye shall fulfill the law of Christ.

3 For he who imagines himself to be something, even though he is nothing, deceives himself. 4 Let each examine his own work. Then he will only be able to boast about himself, but not in comparison with others. 5 For each shall have to bear his own burden.

6 Whoever is instructed in the word of the gospel may share in all goods to him who instruct him. 7 Do not be deceived: God will not mock him; for what man sows, he will reap. 8 For whosoever sows upon his own flesh shall reap perdition from the flesh; but he who sows on the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9 Let us not tire of doing good; for if we do not let up in this, we will reap as soon as the time comes.

10 Therefore, as long as we have time, let us do good to all men, but especially to our fellow believers! 11 See with what great letters I write to you, with our own hand.

12 Those people who seek recognition in the flesh only require you to circumcise them because of the cross of Christ. not to be prosecuted.

13 For although they are circumcised, they themselves do not keep the law; yet they urge your circumcision so that they can boast of your flesh.

14 But I will boast only of the cross of Jesus Christ our Lord, by which the world is crucified to me and I to the world.

15 For there is neither circumcision nor uncircumcision, but new creation.

16 Peace and mercy come upon all who follow this principle and upon the Israel of God.

17 In the future, no one shall cause me such difficulties. For I carry the signs of Jesus' suffering on my body.

18 May the grace of Jesus Christ our Lord be with your Spirit, my brothers and sisters! Amen.

DCHindley

Re: Synopsis Marcion's Pauline Epistles and the Canonical Pauline Epistles

Post by DCHindley »

This table should give an indication of the diversity of opinion operating here:

Canonical Text (as cited by Vinzent, Google translation by MrMacson?)
Markus Vinzent's reconstruction, based on Ulrich Schmid, Jason BeDuhn, +/- Vinzent's own observations. (as cited by Vinzent & Google Translated by MrMacSon?)
Mahar
Von Manen
Mr MacSon's Google translation viewtopic.php?p=129615#p129615
Original web table by Vinzent. https://markusvinzent.blogspot.com/2021 ... d-die.html
1, 1 Paul, called to be an apostle, not by men or by a man, but by Jesus Christ and by God the Father who raised him from the dead, 1,1 Paul, called to be an apostle, not by men or by a man, but by Jesus Christ 1:1 Paul an apostle, not of men nor through man, T but through Jesus Christ, T who awakened himself from the dead; 2 (Hier.) 1:1 Paul, an apostle, not of men, nor by man, but by Jesus Christ, who raised himself from the dead;
2 and all the brethren who are with me to the churches in Galatia: 2 to the churches in Galatia 2b To the assemblies of Galatia : 2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia.
3 Grace be with you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 3 Grace be with you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 3 Goodness to you and peace from God our Father and Lord Jesus Christ, 3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
4 who gave himself for our sins in order to deliver us from the present evil world, according to the will of our God and Father. 4 4 Who gave himself for our sins, so that he might rescue us [Syp] from this wicked Destiny, 3 according to the pleasure of God our Father. 4
5 Glory to him for all eternity. Amen. 5 5 5
6 I am amazed that you are so quick to turn away from the One who has called you by the grace of Christ and that you are turning to a different gospel. 6 I am amazed that you are so quick to turn from the One who has called you by grace to another gospel. 6 I marvel that you are so quickly transferred T from Him Who called you in His goodness T unto a different gospel: T 6 I marvel that ye are so quickly changed, from him that called you unto the grace unto a different gospel:
7 There is no other gospel, there are only a few people who confuse you and who want to falsification the gospel of Christ. 7 There is no other gospel, there are only a few people who confuse you and who want to falsification the gospel of Christ. 7 Which is not entirely another T/A according to my gospel ; A/O/Chrys. but there are some who trouble you A Ephr. and would change (you) A unto a different gospel of Christ. 4 A 7 Which is not [another]; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 However, even if we ourselves or an angel from heaven preached to you a gospel other than the one we have preached, he is cursed. 8 However, even if we ourselves or an angel from heaven preached to you a gospel other than the one we have preached, he is cursed. 8 But even if an angel out of heaven T should announce another gospel [to you], T let him be accursed! T 8/9 But though we or an angel should announce to you a gospel contrary to what ye have received, let him be accursed.
9 What I have said, I say again: Whoever preaches to you another gospel in contradiction to that which you have accepted, be cursed. 9 Whoever proclaims to you a different gospel [contrary to the one you have accepted - be cursed.] 9 [SyP] As I said before, so I say now again, If any one announces another gospel to you A(Rufin.) let him be accursed. A (Rufin.) 9
10 Am I concerned with the consent of men or am I concerned with God? Am I looking to please people? If I still wanted to please the people, then I would not be a servant of Christ. 10 10 10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that the gospel which I have preached does not come from men; [11 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I have preached does not come from men; 11 I make known to you, brethren, the gospel - that gospel announced by me, that it is not according to man. 11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 I did not take it from a man or learn it, but received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. 12 I did not take it from a man or learn it, but received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ 12 For I neither from a man received it, nor was I taught, but by revelation of Jesus Christ. 12 For I neither received it of man, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
13 You have heard of my earlier way of life in Judaism, and you know how excessively I persecuted and sought to destroy the Church of God. 13 You have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism and know how excessively I persecuted and sought to destroy the Church of God. 13 13
14 In Judaism, I made greater progress than most of my peers in my people, and with the greatest zeal I stood up for the traditions of my fathers. 14 In Judaism, I made greater progress than most of my peers in my people and With the greatest zeal I stood up for the traditions of my fathers. 14 14
15 But when it pleased God, who had already chosen me in the womb and called by his grace to reveal in me his Son in 15 But when it pleased God, who had already chosen me in the womb and called by his grace to reveal in me his Son in 15 But when the Supreme God A. was well-pleased, A having selected me A from my mother's womb, 5 A and having called me by His goodness, 15 But when [He] was pleased, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me unto (his) grace,
16, that I may proclaim him among the nations, I did not consult flesh and blood; 16, that I may proclaim him among the nations, I did not consult flesh and blood; 16 to reveal his Son in me, in order that I might proclaim him among the nations, immediately I did not confer with flesh and blood. Hier. 16 To reveal his Son in me, that I should announce him among the nations; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
17 Nor did I immediately go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but went to Arabia and then returned to Damascus. 17 Nor did I immediately go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me] 17 Neither went I up into Jerusalem to those who were before me apostles; but I went into Arabia, and again returned into Damascus. 17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18 Three years later, I went up to Jerusalem to meet Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days. 18 18 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Cephas, and abode with him fifteen days.
19 Of the other apostles, I saw none, only James, the brother of the Lord. 19 19 19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
20 What I am writing to you here - behold, by God, I am not lying. 20 20 20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.
21 After that, I went to the territory of Syria and Cilicia. 21 21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and of Cilicia. 21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;
22 But I personally remained unknown to the churches of Christ in Judea, 22 22 22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ.
23 of them only heard that He, who once persecuted us, now proclaims the faith that he used to want to destroy. 23 23 23
24 And they praised God for my sake. 24 24 24
2,1 Fourteen years later I went back up to Jerusalem, together with Barnabas; I also took Titus with me. 2,1 [Fourteen years(?)] I went up to Jerusalem 2:1 After fourteen years T I went up to Jerusalem; T 2:1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
2 I went up because of a revelation [and] presented to the church, especially to the respected, the gospel that I had proclaimed among the nations; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't running into the void. 2 I presented to [him] the gospel [which I proclaim among the nations]; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't running into the void. 2 But I went according to revelation, and I set before them T the canon of the gospel T but apart to those of repute, fearing that I should go or had gone (T) for nothing. 6 (T) 2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the nations.
3 But not even my companion Titus, who is Greek, was forced to be circumcised. 3 But not even my companion Titus, who is Greek, was forced to be circumcised. 3 But not even Titus, T who was with me, T being a Greek, T was compelled to be circumcised: T 3 But neither Titus (who was with me), being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
4 For as for the false brethren, those invaders who had crept in to spy on and enslave the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, 4 For as for the false brethren, those invaders who had crept in to spy on and enslave the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, 4 But because of those who crept in T to spy out this liberty of ours T which we enjoy in Christ, T so that they might enslave us - T 4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage.
5 we have not submitted to them for a moment, and have not yielded to them, that the truth of the gospel may be unto you will be preserved. 5 we have not submitted to them for a moment. 5 To these not even for an hour T we yielded in subjection, That the truth of the gospel might continue with you. 5 Not for an hour did we yield in subjection, that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
6 But even of those who enjoy prestige — what they used to be, I don't care, God doesn't look at the person — nothing has been imposed on me even by the respected. 6 6 But from those reputed to be something - those of repute conferred nothing to me. 6 From those reputed to be something......... whatsoever they were, not to me makes a difference. A person God does not accept. For to me [they] conferred nothing.
7 On the contrary, they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised is entrusted to me, as peter is entrusted to me for the circumcised— 7 7a But against them, when they had seen that I was entrusted the gospel of the uncircumcision, 7 But to the contrary, having seen that I was entrusted the gospel of the uncircumcision, and having perceived the grace that was given me,
8 for God, who gave Peter the strength to serve the Apostles among the circumcised, gave it to me for service among the nations— 8 8 8
9 and they recognized the grace best given uneasily. That is why James, Cephas and John, who are regarded as the pillars, shook hands with me and Barnabas as a sign of communion: we should go to the Gentiles, they to the circumcised. 9 [And they recognized the grace which is bested on me] That is why Peter, James, and John gave Me and Barnabas the right hand [for the sign of communion:] We should go to the Gentiles, they to the circumcised. 9b Peter, James and John , 7 (T) Hier. who regard themselves pillars, (T) gave to me the right of fellowship: (T) - to me the nations - to them the circumcision! 8 9 James and Cephas and John, those reputed to be pillars, the right hands of fellowship they gave to me and Barnabas; that we should go unto the nations, but they unto the circumcision.
10 Only should we think of the poor; and to do so, I have worked diligently. 10 Only we should think of the poor [......] 10 Only they would have it that I should remember the poor; which I had been cautious to do. 10
11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I resisted him in the face because he had been wronged. 11 When Peter [but came to Antioch], I resisted him in the face [because] he had been wrong. 11 Now when Peter came to Antioch I confronted him to the face, T because he was to be blamed. (T) 11 But when Cephas came unto Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12 Before some of James arrived, he had eaten with the Gentiles. After their arrival, however, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those from circumcision. 12 [Before [] some arrived], he had eaten with the Gentiles. [After their arrival], however, he withdrew and separated himself because he feared them from circumcision. 12 Prior to certain ones coming from James, he was eating with the nations; But when they came, He withdrew and segregated himself, being afraid of those of the circumcision. T 12 For before that came James, with the nations he was eating. but when he came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13 And with him the other hypocritical Jews, that Barnabas too was swept away by their hypocrisy. 13 [And with him the hypocritical others 13 13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
14 But when I saw that they did not approach the truth of the gospel in a straight line, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you live as a Jew in the manner of the Gentiles, and not in the manner of the Jews, how can you then comprehend the Gentiles, to live like Jews? 14 But I saw that] they did not approach the truth of the gospel in a straight line 14 When I saw they walked not honestly T according to the truth of the gospel, T I said to Peter before all, “If you, being a Jew, live like the nations, Why do you urge the nations to be judaizing?” 14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Cephas before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
15 We who are Jews by birth and not sinners from the Gentiles, 15 15 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not of the Gentiles......
16 know that man is not justified by works of law, but by faith in Jesus Christ; thus we too have come to faith in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of law; for no flesh is justified by works of law. 16 A man is not justified by works of law, but by faith alone [and we believe in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of law]. 16 A man is not justified T by the works of the law, T but by the faith. T 16
17 If we, too, who seek to be righteous in Christ, are invented as sinners, is Christ a servant of sin? By no means! 17 17 But if seeking to be made upright in Christ we were actually discovered to be sinners, is even Christ sin’s servant? May it not be! 17
18 For when I rebuild what I have torn down, I present myself as a transgressor. 18 [For] if I rebuild what I have torn down, [then I present myself as a transgressor.] 18 Because if I build again those things T which I overthrew, 9 T I prove myself to be a law-breaker. 18 For if what I cast-down I build again, I constitute myself a transgressor.
19 For I have died by the law of the law, that I may live for God. I have been crucified with Christ. 19 19 For myself, by His law to the law I died, 10 so for God I may be living. 19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20 It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. What I now live in the flesh, I live in faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 20 What I now live in the flesh, I live in faith in the Son of God who bought me. 20 With Christ I was crucified. I live but it is no longer I living but Christ [‘s life ] with me. That life which I now live in the flesh A I live by the faith of the Son of God, A who ransomed himself for me. 11 A 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me. And the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the God and Christ who loved me and gave himself up for me.
21 I do not disregard the grace of God in any way; for if righteousness came through the law, Christ would have died in vain. 21 21 21 I do not frustrate the grace. For if righteousness come by the law, then Christ died for nothing.
3,1 You unreasonable Galatians, who has blinded you? Has Jesus Christ not been clearly presented to you as the Crucified One? 3,1 [You unreasonable Galatians, who blinded you? Has Jesus Christ not been clearly presented to you as the Crucified One? 3:1 O senseless Galatians - (T) who bewitched you ? (T) [ Was it by one ?] before whose eyes Jesus Christ was crucified in plain view? 12 (Hier.) 3:1 O senseless Galatians, who hath bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ has been openly portrayed?
2 I would like to know this from you: Have you received the Spirit through the works of the law or by listening to the message of faith? 2 I would like to know this from you: Have you received the Spirit through the works of the law or by listening to the message of faith? 2 This only I wish to learn of you : Received ye the spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are you so unreasonable? You started in the Spirit and now you want to end in the flesh? 3 3 Are ye so mindless? Having begun with spirit within, now ye are being perfected by flesh? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4 Have you experienced such great things in vain? If it was in vain! 4 4 Did ye suffer so much for nothing? Because certainly, it is for nothing! 13 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
5 Why does God give you the Spirit and bring about acts of power among you? From works of law or from listening to the message of faith? 5 Why does God give you the Spirit and bring about acts of power among you? From works of law or from listening to the message of faith?] 5 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you .........
6 So with Abraham: He believed God, and this was credited to him as righteousness. 6 6 6
7 So realize that those who live by faith are sons of Abraham. 7 7 7
8 And since Scripture foresaw that God would make righteous nations by faith, it taught Abraham in advance: In you all nations shall be blessed. 8 8 8
9 Thus they who believe are blessed with the believing Abraham. 9 9 9
10 But those who live from the works of the law are under a curse. Because it is written: Cursed is anyone who does not adhere to everything that the Book of the Law prescribes to do. 10 But those who live from the works of the law are under a curse. Because it is written: Cursed is anyone who does not adhere to everything that the Book of the Law prescribes to do. See below 10 is displaced, should be after 11b and followed by 11a.
11 But that no one is justified before God by the law is obvious; for he who is righteous by faith shall live. 11a [That no one is justified before God by the law is obvious;] 11b for he who is righteous out of faith will live. 11b Learn that the righteous by faith E.T. shall live. 14 E/T 11b Learn that the righteous by faith shall live.
10 All those under the Law E are under a curse; E and the one doing those things E lives in them. E 10 For as many as are under the law are under the curse: that accursed is every one that continues not in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.
11a In the law no one is being justified.
12 For the law, however, it is not out of faith, but that he who fulfils the commandments will live by them. 12 [For the law, however, it is not out of faith] but that he who fulfils the commandments will live through them. 12 12 But the law is not of faith: but the one that does these things shall live in them.
13 Christ freed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us; for it is written: Cursed is everyone who hangs on the wood. 13 Christ freed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us; [because it is written:] Anyone who hangs on the wood is cursed. 13a The Christ ransomed us 15 A/(Hier.) from the curse of the law being made a curse for us; (T) 13b For as it has been written: "Cursed is every one that hangeth T/E on a tree". T/E 13 Christ has ransomed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: as it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree,
14 Jesus Christ bought us free, so that through Him the blessings of Abraham might be bestowed on the nations, and thus we might receive the promised Spirit by faith. 14 we thus receive the promised Spirit through faith. 14b We receive therefore the blessing T of the Spirit through faith, T 14 That we might receive the blessing of the Spirit through faith.
15a Brothers and sisters, I take a comparison from human life: 15b No one overrides or adds an addition to a man's legally established will. 15 15 15a See below. 15b Omit
16 The promises were made to Abraham and to his descendants. It does not mean: and the descendants, as if many were meant, but it is spoken of only one: and your descendant; but this is Christ. 16 16 16
17 By this I say that the testament to which God has previously given validity is not invalidated by the law enacted four hundred and thirty years later, so that the promise would be abolished. 17 17 17
18 If the inheritance were to derive from the law, it would no longer be derived from the promise. But God showed grace to Abraham through the promise. 18 18 18
19 Then why does the law exist? Because of the transgressions, it was added until the descendant came, to whom the promise applies. It was issued by angels and announced by an intermediary. 19 19 19
20 However, the intermediary is not the intermediary of one; But God is the One. 20 20 20
21 So does the law stand against the promises of God? By no means! If a law had been given that has the power to make alive, then justice would indeed come from the law; 21 21 21
22 But Scripture has enclosed all things under sin, that the promise of faith in Jesus Christ may be given unto those who believe. 22 [but] Scripture has included everything under sin [that the promise of faith in Christ may be given to those who believe.] 22 22
23 Before faith came, we were protected by the law, kept safe until faith was to be revealed. 23 23 23
24 Thus the law has become our educator of Christ, that we may be made righteous by faith. 24 24 24
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under the educator. 25 25 25
26 For all of you are by faith sons of God in Christ Jesus. 26 For all of you are sons by faith. 26 For all, you are sons of God T by the faith. 26 For all of you are children of the faith,
3:15a (yet) as a man I speak.
27 For all of you who are baptized into Christ have attracted Christ. 27 27 27
28 There are no more Jews and Greeks, not slaves and freemen, not male and female; for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 28 28 28
29 But if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to the promise. 29 29 29
4,1 But I say that as long as the heir is immature, he is in no way different from a slave, although he is master of all things; 4,1 But I still speak in the manner of man. 4:1 4:1
2 he is under guardianship and his inheritance is administered until the time determined by his father. 2 2 2
3 Thus, as long as we were immature, we too were slaves to the elemental powers of this world. 3 Thus, as long as we were immature, we too were slaves to the elemental powers of this world. 3 As a man I say, T when we were barely-born, T we were enslaved T under the elements of the cosmos. 17 T 3 When we were infants, we were held under the elements of the cosmos.
4 But when the time was fulfilled, God sent His Son, born of a woman and subject to the law, 4 But when the time was fulfilled, God sent His Son ........ 4 But when the fulness of the time came, T God sent forth his Son, 18 T/(Hier.) 4 But when the fulness of the time had come, God sent forth his Son,
5 that he may buy free those who are under the law, and that we may attain sonship. 5 That he may buy free those who are under the law, and that we may attain sonship. 5 That he might purchase those under law, T and that we may receive adoption. (A) 5 To ransom them that were under the law, that we might receive sonship.
6 But because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who cries out: Abba, Father. 6 But because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who cries out: Abba, Father. 6 God sent forth the Spirit of his Son T into your hearts, crying, T "Abba, Father". 19 T 6 And because ye are sons, he hath sent forth his Spirit into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
7 Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; but if you are a son, then also an inheritance, an inheritance of God. 7 [Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; but if you are a son, then also an inheritance, an inheritance of God. 7 7
8 But once, when you did not know God, you were slaves to the gods, who in reality are none. 8 But once when you did not know God,] you were slaves of the gods, who in reality are not. 8 How is it then, when ye knew not God, (T) you served those which are nature- gods, T 8 Since indeed then ye were in bondage to those [who] not by nature are gods.
9 But now that you have known God, and even more so have been known by God, how can you return to the weak and poor elemental powers? Why do you want to become their slaves again? 9 But how can you [now that you have known God, even more so have been known by God], return to the weak and poor elemental powers? Why do you want to become their slaves again? 9b that ye turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, T for which ye lust to slave again anew ? 9 But now, having known God, or rather being known by God, how do ye turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which again anew ye desire to be in bondage?
10 Why do you pay so much attention to days, months, certain times and years? 10 Why do you pay so much attention to days, months, certain times and years? 10 Ye observe days and months and times T and years. 20 T 10 Days ye observe, and months and times and years ( and sabbaths, as supposing, [a]feast of purity, and [a] season and high days).
11 I am afraid I have tried in vain for you. 11 11 I am afraid of you, lest somehow for nothing I have laboured for you. 11 I am afraid of you, lest somehow in vain I have labored unto you.
12 Become like me, for I too have become like you, I ask you, brothers and sisters. You have done me no wrong. 12 12 12 Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all.
13 But you know that in the weakness of the flesh I preached the gospel to you at that time, 13 13 13 Ye know how through weakness of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first.
14 But you did not respond with contempt and disgust to my weakness, which was a temptation for you, but welcomed me as an angel of God, like Christ Jesus. 14 14 14 And your temptation which was in my flesh...... ye despised not nor rejected with contempt; but as an angel of God ye received me, even as Christ Jesus.
15 So where is your Beatitude? I testify to you: If it had been possible, you would have ripped your eyes out to give them to me. 15 15 15 Where then is your blessedness? for I bear witness [to] you, that, if possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me.
16 So have I become your enemy because I tell you the truth? 16 16 16 So your enemy have I become, speaking truth to you?
17 Those people do not zeal for you in good faith; they want to make you apostate so that you may be jealous of them. 17 17 17 They are zealous [of] you, not rightly, but to exclude you they desire,
18 It is good to zeal for the good at all times, and not only when I am with you, 18 18 18 (who....)......zealous at all times, and not only when I am present with you.
19 my children, for whom I suffer new birth pangs until Christ takes shape in you. 19 my children, for whom I suffer new birth pangs ,[until Christ takes shape in you.] 19 My children, (T) of whom I travail in birth again (T) until Christ be formed in you - 19 My little children, of whom I travail again until Christ be formed in you,
20 I wanted I could be with you now and talk to you in a different tone; for you make me perplexed. 20 20 20 But I was desiring to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I am perplexed in you.
21 Tell me that ye want to submit to the law, have you never heard the law? 21 Tell me that ye want to submit to the law, have you never heard the law? 21 Tell me, ye who desire to be under law: do ye not hear the law? 21 Tell me, [ye] who under the law desire to be, the law do ye not hear?
22 It is written that Abraham had two sons, one of the slave, the other of the free. 22 [It is written:] Abraham had two sons, one of the slave, the other of the free. 22 For Abraham had two sons, T the one by a slave-maid, T the other by a free-woman. T 22 For as it is written, that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondmaid and one by the freewoman.
23 That of the slave was begotten according to the flesh, that of the free according to the promise. 23 That of the slave was begotten according to the flesh, that of the free according to the promise. 23 But he who was of the slave-woman T was born after the flesh; T but he of the free-woman was by promise. 21 T/E 23 But he from the bondwoman after the flesh was born; and he from the freewoman was through the promise.
24 This is figuratively speaking: These women mean two covenants. One comes from Mount Sinai and gives birth to slavery; that is Hagar, 24 This is figuratively speaking: These (women) mean two covenants. One comes from Mount Sinai, which gives birth to the synagogue of the Jews according to the law, to slavery; 24 This is allegorized: 22 T/(Hier.) these are two revelations,23 T indeed the one from Mount Sinai T is the synagogue of the Jews, T giving birth, according to the Law, T into slavery; T 24 Which things are allegorized: for these are two covenants; one indeed from mount Sinai unto the synagogue of the Jews, according to [the] law, generates unto bondage;
25 because Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia. However, the present Jerusalem corresponds to it, because it serves as slaves with its children. 25 the other gives birth high above all sovereignty, power and dominion and (over) every name that is mentioned not only in this world time, but also in the future. 25 25
26 But the Jerusalem above is free; and this is our Mother. 26 For this is our Mother, to whom we have promised ourselves. 26 The other gives birth into freedom, T Eph 1:21. Above every Principality, Power, Dominion, T of every name that is named, T not only in this destiny, T but also in that which is to come- 24 T the holy assembly promised to us, T which is our “mother”. T 26 But [the] other generates above all powers ( power, lordship, and every name that is named not only in this eon, but also in that to come), which is [the] mother of us.
27 For it is written: Rejoice, thou infertile one, who has never given birth, / break out in jubilation and rejoice, which thou never lay in labor! / For many children has the lonely, / more than that which has the man. 27 27 27
28 But ye, brothers and sisters, are children of promise like Isaac! 28 28 28
29 But as then the Son, who was begotten according to the flesh, the persecuted one who was begotten according to the Spirit, so it happens now. 29 29 29
30 But Scripture says: Push out the slave and her son! For the son of the slave should not be heir together with the son of the free. 30 30 30
31 So it follows, my brothers and sisters, that we are not children of the slave, but children of the free. 31 So it follows, my brothers and sisters, that we are not children of the slave, but children of the free. 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the slave-woman, T but of the free. 25 T 31 So then, brethren, not of the bondwoman are we children, but of the free.
5,1 For freedom, Christ has set us free. Therefore, stand firm and do not let a yoke of bondage be imposed on you again! 5,1 Christ has set us free for freedom … do not let a yoke of bondage be imposed on you again, which is the law! 5:1 In the liberty wherewith T Christ made us free, T Stand firm - and be not entangled again (T) in the weight of slavery. (T) 5:1 In the freedom wherewith Christ made us free, stand fast and be not entangled again [in] the yoke of bondage.
2 Behold, I, Paul, say unto you, if you allow yourselves to be circumcised, Christ will be of no use to you. 2 2 Behold, I Paul say to you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall gain you nothing. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that, if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 I testify again to every man who allows himself to be circumcised: he is obliged to keep all the law. 3 Again, I testify to every man who allows himself to be circumcised: he is obliged to keep the whole law 3 But I testify again that a man circumcised E is a debtor to fulfil the whole law. E 3 But I testify again that a man that is circumcised, a debtor he is to do the whole law.
4 You who want to be justified by the law are separated from Christ; you have fallen out of grace. 4 4 Nothing [ comes ] from Christ, [for] whosoever in law are justified - you have fallen from goodness. 4 [He is] deprived [with] the mark of a slave. Whosoever in law are justified, [from] grace ye have fallen.
5 For we await, in spirit, from faith the hope of righteousness. 5 5 5 For we of the Spirit by faith await the hope of righteousness.
6 [For] in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision can do anything, but faith that works through love. 6 [For] in Christ neither circumcision nor uncircumcision can do anything, but faith that works through love. 6 For in Christ neither circumcision T makes any impact, T nor uncircumcision; T but faith perfected through love. 26 T 6
7 You were doing well. Who prevented you from continuing to follow the truth? 7 7 Ye did run well; who hindered you to not be yielding to the truth? 7 Ye did run well; who hindered you that the truth ye should not obey?
8 Whatever has been said to persuade you, it does not come from the one who calls you. 8 8 This enticement comes not from him Who calls you. 8 This persuasion comes not from him that calls you.
9 A little sourdough activates the whole dough. 9 A little sourdough activates the whole dough. 9 A little leaven spoils the whole loaf. E 9 A little leaven corrupts the whole loaf.
10 I trust in you in the Lord that you will not think otherwise. Whoever confuses you will have to bear the judgment, whoever it is. 10 Whoever confuses you will have to bear the verdict. 10 But he distressing you T/A shall bear the judgement, T/A whosoever he is. 27 A 10 I have confidence in you, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubles you shall bear the judgment, whoever he is.
11 But I, brothers and sisters, if I still proclaimed circumcision, why am I persecuted? This would eliminate the annoyance of the cross. 11 11 But I, brethren, if I still proclaim circumcision, why yet am I persecuted? Then abolished is the offence of the cross. 11 But I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why yet am I persecuted? then has been abolished the scandal of the cross.
12 These people who cause trouble in you should allow themselves to be taught right away. 12 12 I would also that they castrated themselves (Hier.) who throw you into confusion ! 28 (Hier.) 12 I would even that they castrate themselves which throw you into confusion!
13 For ye are called to freedom, brothers and sisters. Only do not take freedom as a pretext for the flesh, but serve one another in love! 13 13 For ye were called for liberty, brethren; only not liberty for the urging by the flesh, but by love [to] serve one another. 13 For you, unto freedom were called, brethren; only [use] not freedom for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve ye one another.
14 For the whole law is fulfilled in the one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself! 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in the one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself! 14 For all the law in you is fulfilled: T/E love thy neighbour as thyself. T/E 14 For the whole law in you is fulfilled : Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
15 But if ye bite and eat one another, be careful not to be devoured by the other! 15 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed of one another. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
16 But I say, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the desire of the flesh! 16 [But I say, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the desire of the flesh! 16 But I say, walk ye by spirit, and in no wise should ye fulfil the desire of flesh. 16 But I say, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall in no wise fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh desires against the Spirit, the Spirit against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, that ye may not do what ye will. 17 For the flesh desires against the Spirit, the Spirit against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, that ye may not do what ye will. 17 For the flesh desires against the spirit, yet the spirit against the flesh; Now these are opposed to one another, so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: for these things are opposed to one another: that not whatsoever ye wish, ye should do.
18 But if you allow yourselves to be moved by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 18 But if ye allow yourselves to be eded by the Spirit, then ye are not under the law.] 18 But if by spirit ye are led, ye are not under law. 18 But if of the Spirit ye are led, ye are not under law.
19 The works of the flesh are clearly recognizable: fornication, impurity, debauchery, 19 The works of the flesh are clearly recognizable: fornication, impurity, debauchery, 19 Now manifest are the works of the flesh, E which are fornication, uncleanness, E 19 Now manifest are the works of the flesh, which are fornication, uncleanness, licentiousness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, self-interest, divisions, partisanship, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, self-interest, divisions, partisanship, 20 wantonness, idolatry, enchantment, E enmities,strifes, jealousies, furies, E 20 Idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strifes, jealousies, indignations, contentions, divisions, sects,
21 envy, excessive drinking and eating [and the like.] I foretold you, as I foretold earlier: He who does such a thing will not inherit the kingdom of God. 21 envy, excessive drinking and eating [and the like.] I foretold you, as I foretold earlier: He who does such a thing will not inherit the kingdom of God. 21 contentions, divisions, sects, envies, E drunkenness, revels, E [and things like these], which I predicted to you E as I also said before, E that whoever does such things E shall not be enjoying God's kingdom. 29 E 21 Envyings, drunkenness, revels, and such like: of which I previously tell you even as also before, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 [But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 22 [But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 22 But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 meekness and abstinence; against all this is not the law. 23 meekness and abstinence; against all this the law is not. 23 meekness, self-control : against such things there is no law. 23 meekness, self-control: against such there is no law.
24 and] who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh and thus their passions and desires. 24 and] who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh and thus their passions and desires. 24 But those of the Christ crucified the flesh E together with the passions and desires. 30 E 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us walk in the Spirit too! 25 25 25 If we live in the Spirit, in the Spirit we should also walk.
26 Let us not boast, challenge one another, and envy one another! 26 26 26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
6,1 Brothers and sisters, if a man allows himself to be carried away by a transgression, you who are filled with the Spirit should rebuke him in the spirit of meekness. But be careful not to be tempted yourself! 6,1 6:1 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
2 One bears the burden of the other; thus ye shall fulfill the law of Christ. 2 One bears the burden of the other; thus you will fulfill the law of Christ. 2 Bear ye one another's burdens, T and thus fulfil the law of Christ.31 T 2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
3 For he who imagines himself to be something, even though he is nothing, deceives himself. 3 3 3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
4 Let each examine his own work. Then he will only be able to boast about himself, but not in comparison with others. 4 4 4 But the work of himself let [ him] prove and then unto himself alone shall he have boasting, and not in another.
5 For each shall have to bear his own burden. 5 5 5 For each shall bear their own burden.
6 Whoever is instructed in the word of the gospel may share in all goods to him who instruct him. 6 Whoever is instructed in the word of the gospel may share in all goods to him who instruct him. 6 Let him that is taught in the utterance (Hier.) share with him that teaches in all good. 32 (Hier.) 6 But let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teaches.
7 Do not be deceived: God will not mock him; for what man sows, he will reap. 7 Do not be deceived: God will not mock him; for what man sows, he will reap. 7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: T/A for whatsoever a man may sow, T/A that shall he also reap. T/A 7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
8 For whosoever sows upon his own flesh shall reap perdition from the flesh; but he who sows on the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 8 [For he who sows upon his own flesh] shall reap perdition [of the flesh]; [whoever sows on the Spirit] will reap life from the Spirit. 8 For he that sows to his own flesh (T) from the flesh shall reap corruption; (T) but he that sows to the Spirit (T) from the Spirit shall reap life eternal. (T) 8 For he that sows unto the flesh from the flesh shall reap corruption; but he that sows unto the Spirit from the Spirit shall reap life eonian.
9 Let us not tire of doing good; for if we do not let up in this, we will reap as soon as the time comes. 9 Let us not tire of doing good; [because if we don't let up in this,] we will reap as soon as the time comes. 9 But let us not become weary in doing good: (T) but in due season we shall reap, (T) not fainting. (T) 9 But in well doing we should not lose heart.
10 Therefore, as long as we have time, let us do good to all men, but especially to our fellow believers! 10 [Therefore], as long as we have time, let us do good to all people. 10 As we might have opportunity, (T) let us do good. 33 (T) 10 And as we have opportunity, let us do good, (9b) for in due time we shall reap.
11 See with what great letters I write to you, with our own hand. 11 11 Behold with the large-sized letters I have written to you with my own hand. 11 Ye see how [in] large letters I have written unto you with mine own hand.
12 Those people who seek recognition in the flesh only require you to circumcise them because of the cross of Christ. not to be prosecuted. 12 [Those people who seek recognition in the flesh require you to be circumcised only] so that they will not be persecuted because of the cross of Christ. 12 As many as wish to make a fair show in flesh, these urge you to be circumcised, only they are persecutors of the cross of Christ. 12 As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised;
13 For although they are circumcised, they themselves do not keep the law; yet they urge your circumcision so that they can boast of your flesh. 13 For although they are circumcised, they themselves do not keep the law 13 For neither they E who are themselves circumcised E are maintaining law, E but they would have you circumcised, that in your flesh they might boast. 34 13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.
14 But I will boast only of the cross of Jesus Christ our Lord, by which the world is crucified to me and I to the world. 14 The world is crucified to me and I to the world 14 But may it not be for me to boast, but only in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ; Yet also to me is the world crucified, T and I to the world. T 14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
15 For there is neither circumcision nor uncircumcision, but new creation. 15 15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision is of any impact, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 15
16 Peace and mercy come upon all who follow this principle and upon the Israel of God. 16 [Peace and mercy come upon all] who follow this principle ... 16 16
17 In the future, no one shall cause me such difficulties. For I carry the signs of Jesus' suffering on my body. 17 For I carry the signs of Jesus' suffering on my body. 17 As for all the others, A not without reason A I cause nuisance! 35 A For I carry the scars of Christ (T)/Theod/(Clem.) in my body. A(T) 17 [For] the rest let no one give to me troubles: for I bear the marks of Christ in my body.
18 May the grace of Jesus Christ our Lord be with your Spirit, my brothers and sisters! Amen. 18 18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brethren. Amen.

This should be viewed @ no more than 110%.

DCH
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

DCHindley wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:21 pm This table should give an indication of the diversity of opinion operating here
Cheers DCH.

One has to think there's more or, in fact, less, to Gal 1:16 — Gal 2:2 than what these 'versions' suggest.

One has to wonder about
  • "I did not consult flesh and blood," in Gal 1:16
  • "Nor did I immediately go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me," in Gal 1:17
  • the absence of vv.18—20 and vv.23 and 24, as the two middle column versions show
    • or v. 20 originally located somewhere else (somewhere else in either chapter)
  • the veracity of 'fourteen years' in Gal 2:1 : one might think 'three years' at most, as in Gal 1:18
Thus -

Canonical Galatians
as cited by Vinzent

(M.Word translation by MrMacson)
the Marcionite Galatians,
posted by M Vinzent;
based on Ulrich Schmid,
Jason BeDuhn +/- Markus Vinzent

(M.Word translation by MrMacSon)

Mahar

Von Manen

1:16, that I may proclaim him among the nations I did not consult flesh and blood

1,16, that I may proclaim him among the nations I did not consult flesh and blood

to reveal his Son in me
,16 in order that I might proclaim him among the nations immediately I did not confer with flesh and blood. Hier.

To reveal his Son in me
,16 that I should announce him among the nations immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood
17 Nor did I immediately go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but
[I] went to Arabia and then returned to Damascus.
17 Nor did I immediately go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me] 17 Neither went I up into Jerusalem to those who were before me apostles; but
I went into Arabia and again returned into Damascus.
17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but
I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18 Three years later, I went up to Jerusalem to meet Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days 18 18 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Cephas, and abode with him fifteen days
19 Of the other apostles, I saw none, only James, the brother of the Lord. 19 19 19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
20 What I am writing to you here - behold, by God I am not lying 20 20 20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God I lie not
21 After that, I went to the territory of Syria and Cilicia. 21 21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and of Cilicia. 21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;
22 But I personally remained unknown to the churches of Christ in Judea, 22 22 22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ.
23 of them only heard that He, who once persecuted us, now proclaims the faith that he used to want to destroy. 23 23 23
24 And they praised God for my sake 24 24 24
2,1 Fourteen years later
I went back up to Jerusalem, together with Barnabas; I also took Titus with me.
2,1 [Fourteen years]
I went up to Jerusalem
2:1 After fourteen years
T I went up to Jerusalem; T
2:1 Then fourteen years after
I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
2 I went up because of a revelation [and] presented to the church, especially to the respected, the gospel that I had proclaimed among the nations; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't running into the void. 2 I presented to [them] the gospel [which I proclaim among the nations]; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't running into the void. 2 But I went according to revelation, and I set before them T the canon of the gospel T but apart to those of repute, fearing that I should go or had gone (T) for nothing. 6 (T) 2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the nations.

(too many 'again' )
Jax

Post by Jax »

Right on guys! Very nice, please keep it coming. :cheers:

Lane