Listing of all references to the Jewish scriptures in Paul?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Listing of all references to the Jewish scriptures in Paul?

Post by rgprice »

I feel like I've asked this before, but I can't find such a thread. Does anyone have a good resource that identifies or catalogues all of the scriptural references in the Pauling epistles?
rgprice

Re: Listing of all references to the Jewish scriptures in Paul?

Post by rgprice »

I found a resource: https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/misc/quotes03.cfm

If anyone has something better, then great.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

David Oliver Smith has a few references to the Jewish scriptures in Paul in chapter three of Matthew, Mark Luke and Paul. Oliver Smith refers to Early Doherty's JNGM as making the relationship but doesn't give any idea if Doherty has such a list; and I can't find one in JNGM or on his Jesus Puzzle website
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

rgprice wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:16 am I found a resource: https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/misc/quotes03.cfm
If anyone has something better, then great.
biblegateway's NIV version of the the books of the NT, including the Pauline epistles, have the intertexts footnoted, though I don't know whether it provides anything different to that blueletterbible list

eg. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV notes the same Rom 1:17 use of Hab 2:4

(You'd need to go thru every webpage of every chapter of the Pauline epistles to fully check)
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Thomas L Brodie's The Birthing of the New Testament is likely to be a good resource, too (I don't have my copy with me otherwise I'd look it up)
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

rgprice wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:05 am I feel like I've asked this before, but I can't find such a thread. Does anyone have a good resource that identifies or catalogues all of the scriptural references in the Pauling epistles?
If you want a handy reference, get a GNT text. I think NA27 had actual quotes in boldface and provided the OT citations in the footnotes. I believe that allusions are also cited in the footnotes.

Of course, there are plenty of KJV or NIV translations that have "chain references" to citations from the OT or elsewhere in the NT. Thompson's was the one I remember hearing a lot about in my teens, but I never got one. Even the most basic translation can provide citations. Unfortunately they are usually not differentiated between quotes, allusions or just general subject similarities.

DCH
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

It’s important to keep in mind that “all references” can mean different things, depending on how one approaches the use of OT scripture in the Pauline Corpus. (I, for one, would not trust just any traditional NT scholar’s accounting of such references. What one looks for is dependent on one’s assumptions and methodology.)

Brodie:
D.A. Koch, R.B. Hays, and C.K. Stockhausen have led the way in showing that Paul’s relationship to the Jewish scriptures was not something distant and narrow—as if he were limited to explicit citations which, plucked from memory or anthologies, acted merely as an external buttress for his own already-constituted message. Rather, he had access to whole books—written texts which he had before his eyes—and, by a process of transformation, used these books as constitutive of his message, as central to his own writings. (Birthing, p. 125)
I am reminded of E.P. Sanders’ opinion that Paul had a prodigious memory, as though he were like a bard reciting Homer to the letter. On the contrary, the Pauline writer(s) transform (e.g.) Deuteronomy in the writing of 1 Corinthians.