Romans 9:5 - God blessed for ever

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John T

Re: Romans 9:5 - God blessed for ever

Post by John T »

schillingklaus wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:15 pm Romans 9-11 is a late addition, as already figured by van Manen.
https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/vmanrom.html
Thank you for the link. It is worthy of my time to investigate further. :cheers:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

John T wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:40 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:48 pm
More like Chrestos viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8881
I tried but could not find it. Please show me your example of Chrestos for Romans 9:5.

Thank you in advance. :popcorn:
You really are an idiot! :wtf:
John T

Post by John T »

lclapshaw wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm
I tried but could not find it. Please show me your example of Chrestos for Romans 9:5.

Take pity on this idiot and impart your superior wisdom on the Nomina sacra.
But then again, perhaps you didn't grasp the sarcasm, which would make you what? :roll:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

John T wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:03 pm

But then again, perhaps you didn't grasp the sarcasm, which would make you what? :roll:
Someone that thinks you are an idiot!
mlinssen

Romans Interlinear in script 1/2

Post by mlinssen »

BOOK OF Romans
Chapter 1
1 Παῦλος (Paul), δοῦλος (a servant) Χῦ (of XS) Ἰῦ (IS), κλητὸς (a called) ἀπόστολος (apostle) ἀφωρισμένος (having been set apart) εἰς (for) εὐαγγέλιον (the gospel) Θεοῦ (of God),
2 ὃ (which) προεπηγγείλατο (He promised beforehand) διὰ (through) τῶν (the) προφητῶν (prophets) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἐν (in) γραφαῖς (the Scriptures) ἁγίαις (Holy),
3 περὶ (concerning) τοῦ (the) Υἱοῦ (Son) αὐτοῦ (of Him), τοῦ ( ) γενομένου (having come) ἐκ (of the) σπέρματος (seed) Δαυὶδ (of David) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (flesh),
4 τοῦ ( ) ὁρισθέντος (having been declared) Υἱοῦ (Son) Θεοῦ (of God) ἐν (in) δυνάμει (power) κατὰ (according to the) πνεῦμα (Spirit) ἁγιωσύνης (of holiness) ἐξ (by) ἀναστάσεως (resurrection) νεκρῶν (from the dead), Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS), τοῦ (the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us);
5 δι’ (through) οὗ (whom) ἐλάβομεν (we have received) χάριν (grace) καὶ (and) ἀποστολὴν (apostleship) εἰς (unto) ὑπακοὴν (obedience) πίστεως (of faith) ἐν (among) πᾶσιν (all) τοῖς (the) ἔθνεσιν (Gentiles) ὑπὲρ (on behalf of) τοῦ (the) ὀνόματος (name) αὐτοῦ (of Him),
6 ἐν (among) οἷς (whom) ἐστε (are) καὶ (also) ὑμεῖς (you) κλητοὶ (called) Ἰῦ (of IS) Χῦ (XS).
7 Πᾶσιν (To all) τοῖς (those) οὖσιν (being) ἐν (in) Ῥώμῃ (Rome), ἀγαπητοῖς (beloved) Θεοῦ (of God), κλητοῖς (called) ἁγίοις (saints): Χάρις (Grace) ὑμῖν (to you) καὶ (and) εἰρήνη (peace) ἀπὸ (from) Θεοῦ (God) Πατρὸς (the Father) ἡμῶν (of us) καὶ (and) Κυρίου (the Lord) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS). Paul's Desire to Visit Rome(1 Thessalonians 2:17 20)
8 Πρῶτον (First) μὲν (indeed), εὐχαριστῶ (I thank) τῷ (the) Θεῷ (God) μου (of me) διὰ (through) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS) περὶ (for) πάντων (all) ὑμῶν (of you), ὅτι (because) ἡ (the) πίστις (faith) ὑμῶν (of you) καταγγέλλεται (is being proclaimed) ἐν (in) ὅλῳ (all) τῷ (the) κόσμῳ (world).
9 μάρτυς (Witness) γάρ (for) μού (my) ἐστιν (is) ὁ ( ) Θεός (God), ᾧ (whom) λατρεύω (I serve) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) πνεύματί (spirit) μου (of me) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) εὐαγγελίῳ (gospel) τοῦ (of the) Υἱοῦ (Son) αὐτοῦ (of Him), ὡς (how) ἀδιαλείπτως (unceasingly) μνείαν (mention) ὑμῶν (of you) ποιοῦμαι (I make),
10 πάντοτε (always) ἐπὶ (upon) τῶν (the) προσευχῶν (prayers) μου (of me) δεόμενος (imploring), εἴ (if) πως (perhaps) ἤδη (now) ποτὲ (at last) εὐοδωθήσομαι (I will make a prosperous journey) ἐν (by) τῷ (the) θελήματι (will) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), ἐλθεῖν (to come) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you).
11 ἐπιποθῶ (I long) γὰρ (for) ἰδεῖν (to see) ὑμᾶς (you), ἵνα (that) τι (some) μεταδῶ (I may impart) χάρισμα (gift) ὑμῖν (to you) πνευματικὸν (spiritual), εἰς (to) τὸ (the) στηριχθῆναι (strengthening) ὑμᾶς (of you),
12 τοῦτο (that) δέ (now) ἐστιν (is), συμπαρακληθῆναι (to be encouraged together) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you), διὰ (through) τῆς (the) ἐν (among) ἀλλήλοις (one another) πίστεως (faith) ὑμῶν (of you) τε (both) καὶ (and) ἐμοῦ (of me).
13 Οὐ (Not) θέλω (I do want) δὲ (now) ὑμᾶς (you) ἀγνοεῖν (to be ignorant), ἀδελφοί (brothers), ὅτι (that) πολλάκις (many times) προεθέμην (I purposed) ἐλθεῖν (to come) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you), καὶ (and) ἐκωλύθην (was hindered), ἄχρι (until) τοῦ (the) δεῦρο (present), ἵνα (that) τινὰ (some) καρπὸν (fruit) σχῶ (I might have) καὶ (also) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you), καθὼς (as) καὶ (even) ἐν (among) τοῖς (the) λοιποῖς (other) ἔθνεσιν (Gentiles).
14 Ἕλλησίν (To Greeks) τε (both) καὶ (and) Βαρβάροις (to barbarians), σοφοῖς (to the wise) τε (both) καὶ (and) ἀνοήτοις (the foolish), ὀφειλέτης (a debtor) εἰμί (I am).
15 οὕτως (Thus) τὸ ( ) κατ’ (as to) ἐμὲ (me there is) πρόθυμον (readiness) καὶ (also) ὑμῖν (to you) τοῖς (who are) ἐν (in) Ῥώμῃ (Rome), εὐαγγελίσασθαι (to preach the gospel). Unashamed of the Gospel
16 Οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) ἐπαισχύνομαι (I am ashamed of) τὸ (the) εὐαγγέλιον (gospel), δύναμις (the power) γὰρ (for) Θεοῦ (of God) ἐστιν (it is), εἰς (unto) σωτηρίαν (salvation) παντὶ (to everyone) τῷ ( ) πιστεύοντι (believing)— Ἰουδαίῳ (to Jewish) τε (both) πρῶτον (first) καὶ (and) Ἕλληνι (to Greek).
17 δικαιοσύνη (The righteousness) γὰρ (for) Θεοῦ (of God) ἐν (in) αὐτῷ (it) ἀποκαλύπτεται (is revealed), ἐκ (from) πίστεως (faith) εἰς (to) πίστιν (faith), καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ὁ ( ) δὲ (And) δίκαιος (the righteous) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith) ζήσεται (will live).”a God's Wrath against Sin(Jeremiah 6:10 21; Jeremiah 25:15 33; Jonah 1:4 10; Acts 27:13 26)
18 Ἀποκαλύπτεται (Is revealed) γὰρ (for) ὀργὴ (the wrath) Θεοῦ (of God) ἀπ’ (from) οὐρανοῦ (heaven) ἐπὶ (upon) πᾶσαν (all) ἀσέβειαν (ungodliness) καὶ (and) ἀδικίαν (unrighteousness) ἀνθρώπων (of men), τῶν ( ) τὴν (the) ἀλήθειαν (truth) ἐν (by) ἀδικίᾳ (unrighteousness) κατεχόντων (suppressing),
19 διότι (because) τὸ (the) γνωστὸν (known) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) φανερόν (manifest) ἐστιν (is) ἐν (among) αὐτοῖς (them), ὁ ( ) θεὸς (God) γὰρ (for) αὐτοῖς (to them) ἐφανέρωσεν (has revealed it).
20 τὰ (The) γὰρ (for) ἀόρατα (invisible qualities) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἀπὸ (from) κτίσεως (the creation) κόσμου (of the world), τοῖς (by the) ποιήμασιν (things made) νοούμενα (being understood), καθορᾶται (are clearly seen), ἥ (the) τε (both) ἀΐδιος (eternal) αὐτοῦ (of Him) δύναμις (power) καὶ (and) θειότης (divinity), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) εἶναι (to be) αὐτοὺς (them) ἀναπολογήτους (without excuse).
21 Διότι (For) γνόντες (having known) τὸν ( ) Θεὸν (God), οὐχ (not) ὡς (as) Θεὸν (God) ἐδόξασαν (they glorified Him), ἢ (or) ηὐχαρίστησαν (were thankful), ἀλλὰ (but) ἐματαιώθησαν (they became futile) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) διαλογισμοῖς (thinking) αὐτῶν (of them), καὶ (and) ἐσκοτίσθη (was darkened) ἡ (the) ἀσύνετος (foolish) αὐτῶν (of them) καρδία (heart).
22 φάσκοντες (Professing) εἶναι (to be) σοφοὶ (wise), ἐμωράνθησαν (they became fools),
23 καὶ (and) ἤλλαξαν (they changed) τὴν (the) δόξαν (glory) τοῦ (of the) ἀφθάρτου (immortal) Θεοῦ (God) ἐν (into) ὁμοιώματι (a likeness) εἰκόνος (of an image) φθαρτοῦ (of mortal) ἀνθρώπου (man) καὶ (and) πετεινῶν (birds) καὶ (and) τετραπόδων (quadrupeds) καὶ (and) ἑρπετῶν (creeping things).
24 Διὸ (Therefore) παρέδωκεν (gave up) αὐτοὺς (them) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) ἐν (in) ταῖς (the) ἐπιθυμίαις (desires) τῶν (of the) καρδιῶν (hearts) αὐτῶν (of them) εἰς (to) ἀκαθαρσίαν (impurity) τοῦ ( ) ἀτιμάζεσθαι (to dishonor) τὰ (the) σώματα (bodies) αὐτῶν (of them) ἐν (between) αὐτοῖς (themselves),
25 οἵτινες (who) μετήλλαξαν (changed) τὴν (the) ἀλήθειαν (truth) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) ἐν (into) τῷ (the) ψεύδει (falsehood), καὶ (and) ἐσεβάσθησαν (reverenced) καὶ (and) ἐλάτρευσαν (served) τῇ (the) κτίσει (created thing) παρὰ (beyond) τὸν (the One) Κτίσαντα (having created it), ὅς (who) ἐστιν (is) εὐλογητὸς (blessed) εἰς (to) τοὺς (the) αἰῶνας (ages)! ἀμήν (Amen).
26 Διὰ (Because of) τοῦτο (this) παρέδωκεν (gave up) αὐτοὺς (them) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) εἰς (to) πάθη (passions) ἀτιμίας (of dishonor). αἵ ( ) τε (Even) γὰρ (for) θήλειαι (females) αὐτῶν (of them) μετήλλαξαν (changed) τὴν (the) φυσικὴν (natural) χρῆσιν (use) εἰς (into) τὴν (that) παρὰ (contrary to) φύσιν (nature).
27 ὁμοίως (Likewise) τε (then) καὶ (also) οἱ (the) ἄρσενες (males), ἀφέντες (having left) τὴν (the) φυσικὴν (natural) χρῆσιν (use) τῆς (of the) θηλείας (female), ἐξεκαύθησαν (were inflamed) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) ὀρέξει (desire) αὐτῶν (of them) εἰς (toward) ἀλλήλους (one another), ἄρσενες (males) ἐν (with) ἄρσεσιν (males), τὴν (the) ἀσχημοσύνην (shame) κατεργαζόμενοι (working out), καὶ (and) τὴν (the) ἀντιμισθίαν (recompense) ἣν (which) ἔδει (was fitting) τῆς (of the) πλάνης (error) αὐτῶν (of them), ἐν (in) ἑαυτοῖς (themselves) ἀπολαμβάνοντες (receiving).
28 Καὶ (And) καθὼς (as) οὐκ (not) ἐδοκίμασαν (they did see fit) τὸν ( ) Θεὸν (God) ἔχειν (to have) ἐν (in their) ἐπιγνώσει (knowledge), παρέδωκεν (gave up) αὐτοὺς (them) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) εἰς (to) ἀδόκιμον (a depraved) νοῦν (mind), ποιεῖν (to do) τὰ (things) μὴ (not) καθήκοντα (being proper);
29 πεπληρωμένους (being filled with) πάσῃ (all) ἀδικίᾳ (unrighteousness), πονηρίᾳ (wickedness), πλεονεξίᾳ (covetousness), κακίᾳ (malice); μεστοὺς (full) φθόνου (of envy), φόνου (murder), ἔριδος (strife), δόλου (deceit), κακοηθείας (maliciousness); ψιθυριστάς (gossips),
30 καταλάλους (slanderers), θεοστυγεῖς (hateful to God), ὑβριστάς (insolent), ὑπερηφάνους (arrogant), ἀλαζόνας (boastful); ἐφευρετὰς (inventors) κακῶν (of evil things), γονεῦσιν (to parents) ἀπειθεῖς (disobedient);
31 ἀσυνέτους (foolish), ἀσυνθέτους (untrustworthy), ἀστόργους (heartless), ἀνελεήμονας (unmerciful);
32 οἵτινες (who) τὸ (the) δικαίωμα (righteous decree) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) ἐπιγνόντες (having known), ὅτι (that) οἱ (those) τὰ (such) τοιαῦτα (things) πράσσοντες (doing), ἄξιοι (worthy) θανάτου (of death) εἰσίν (are), οὐ (not) μόνον (only) αὐτὰ (them) ποιοῦσιν (are practicing), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) συνευδοκοῦσιν (are approving of) τοῖς (those) πράσσουσιν (practicing them).
Chapter 2
1 Διὸ (Therefore) ἀναπολόγητος (inexcusable) εἶ (you are), ὦ (O) ἄνθρωπε (man), πᾶς (each one) ὁ (who) κρίνων (is judging). ἐν (In) ᾧ (that which) γὰρ (for) κρίνεις (you judge) τὸν (the) ἕτερον (other), σεαυτὸν (yourself) κατακρίνεις (you are condemning); τὰ ( ) γὰρ (for) αὐτὰ (the same things) πράσσεις (you do), ὁ (the one) κρίνων (judging).
2 οἴδαμεν (We know) δὲ (however) ὅτι (that) τὸ (the) κρίμα (judgment) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) ἐστιν (is) κατὰ (according to) ἀλήθειαν (truth), ἐπὶ (upon) τοὺς (those) τὰ ( ) τοιαῦτα (such things) πράσσοντας (practicing).
3 λογίζῃ (Suppose you) δὲ (now) τοῦτο (this), ὦ (O) ἄνθρωπε (man), ὁ (the one) κρίνων (judging) τοὺς (those) τὰ ( ) τοιαῦτα (such things) πράσσοντας (practicing), καὶ (and) ποιῶν (doing) αὐτά (them yourself), ὅτι (that) σὺ (you) ἐκφεύξῃ (will escape) τὸ (the) κρίμα (judgment) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God)?
4 ἢ (Or) τοῦ (the) πλούτου (riches) τῆς (of the) χρηστότητος (kindness) αὐτοῦ (of Him), καὶ (and) τῆς (the) ἀνοχῆς (forbearance), καὶ (and) τῆς (the) μακροθυμίας (patience) καταφρονεῖς (despise you), ἀγνοῶν (not knowing) ὅτι (that) τὸ (the) χρηστὸν (kindness) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) εἰς (to) μετάνοιάν (repentance) σε (you) ἄγει (leads)?
5 Κατὰ (Because of) δὲ (however) τὴν (the) σκληρότητά (hardness) σου (of you) καὶ (and) ἀμετανόητον (unrepentant) καρδίαν (heart), θησαυρίζεις (you are treasuring up) σεαυτῷ (to yourself) ὀργὴν (wrath) ἐν (in) ἡμέρᾳ (the day) ὀργῆς (of wrath) καὶ (and) ἀποκαλύψεως (revelation) δικαιοκρισίας (of righteous judgement) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God),
6 ὃς (who) “Ἀποδώσει (will give) ἑκάστῳ (to each), κατὰ (according to) τὰ (the) ἔργα (works) αὐτοῦ (of him),”a
7 τοῖς (to those who) μὲν (indeed) καθ’ (with) ὑπομονὴν (endurance) ἔργου (in work) ἀγαθοῦ (good), δόξαν (glory) καὶ (and) τιμὴν (honor) καὶ (and) ἀφθαρσίαν (immortality) ζητοῦσιν (are seeking), ζωὴν (life) αἰώνιον (eternal);
8 τοῖς (to those) δὲ (however) ἐξ (of) ἐριθείας (self interest) καὶ (and) ἀπειθοῦσι (disobeying) τῇ (the) ἀληθείᾳ (truth), πειθομένοις (being persuaded about) δὲ (however) τῇ ( ) ἀδικίᾳ (unrighteousness), ὀργὴ (wrath) καὶ (and) θυμός (anger);
9 θλῖψις (tribulation) καὶ (and) στενοχωρία (distress) ἐπὶ (upon) πᾶσαν (every) ψυχὴν (soul) ἀνθρώπου (of man) τοῦ ( ) κατεργαζομένου (working) τὸ ( ) κακόν (evil), Ἰουδαίου (of Jewish) τε (both) πρῶτον (first), καὶ (and also) Ἕλληνος (of Greek);
10 δόξα (glory) δὲ (however), καὶ (and) τιμὴ (honor), καὶ (and) εἰρήνη (peace) παντὶ (to everyone) τῷ ( ) ἐργαζομένῳ (doing) τὸ ( ) ἀγαθόν (good), Ἰουδαίῳ (to Jewish) τε (both) πρῶτον (first), καὶ (and) Ἕλληνι (to Greek).
11 οὐ (Not) γάρ (for) ἐστιν (there is) προσωπολημψία (partiality) παρὰ (with) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (God).
12 Ὅσοι (As many as) γὰρ (for) ἀνόμως (without the Law) ἥμαρτον (have sinned), ἀνόμως (without the Law) καὶ (also) ἀπολοῦνται (will perish); καὶ (and) ὅσοι (as many as) ἐν (in) νόμῳ (the Law) ἥμαρτον (have sinned), διὰ (by) νόμου (the Law) κριθήσονται (will be judged);
13 οὐ (not) γὰρ (for) οἱ (the) ἀκροαταὶ (hearers) νόμου (of the law are) δίκαιοι (righteous) παρὰ (with) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (God), ἀλλ’ (but) οἱ (the) ποιηταὶ (doers) νόμου (of the law) δικαιωθήσονται (will be justified).
14 Ὅταν (When) γὰρ (for) ἔθνη (Gentiles), τὰ ( ) μὴ (not) νόμον (the law) ἔχοντα (having), φύσει (by nature) τὰ (the things) τοῦ (of the) νόμου (law) ποιῶσιν (do), οὗτοι (these) νόμον (the Law) μὴ (not) ἔχοντες (having) ἑαυτοῖς (to themselves) εἰσιν (are) νόμος (a law),
15 οἵτινες (who) ἐνδείκνυνται (show) τὸ (the) ἔργον (work) τοῦ (of the) νόμου (law), γραπτὸν (written) ἐν (in) ταῖς (the) καρδίαις (hearts) αὐτῶν (of them), συμμαρτυρούσης (bearing witness) αὐτῶν (their) τῆς ( ) συνειδήσεως (conscience), καὶ (and) μεταξὺ (between) ἀλλήλων (one another), τῶν (the) λογισμῶν (thoughts) κατηγορούντων (accusing) ἢ (or) καὶ (also) ἀπολογουμένων (defending them)
16 ἐν (on) 〈ᾗ〉 (that) ἡμέρᾳ (day) ‹ὅτε› (when) κρίνει (will judge) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) τὰ (the) κρυπτὰ (secrets) τῶν ( ) ἀνθρώπων (of men), κατὰ (according to) τὸ (the) εὐαγγέλιόν (gospel) μου (of me), διὰ (by) Χῦ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS). The Jews and the Law
17 Εἰ (If) δὲ (however) σὺ (you) Ἰουδαῖος (a Jew) ἐπονομάζῃ (are called), καὶ (and) ἐπαναπαύῃ (rely on) νόμῳ (the law), καὶ (and) καυχᾶσαι (boast) ἐν (in) Θεῷ (God);
18 καὶ (and) γινώσκεις (know) τὸ (the) θέλημα (will), καὶ (and) δοκιμάζεις (approve) τὰ (the things) διαφέροντα (being superior), κατηχούμενος (being instructed) ἐκ (out of) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law);
19 πέποιθάς (are persuaded that) τε (then) σεαυτὸν (you yourself) ὁδηγὸν (a guide) εἶναι (are), τυφλῶν (of the blind), φῶς (a light) τῶν (to those) ἐν (in) σκότει (darkness),
20 παιδευτὴν (an instructor) ἀφρόνων (of the foolish), διδάσκαλον (a teacher) νηπίων (of infants), ἔχοντα (having) τὴν (the) μόρφωσιν (embodiment) τῆς ( ) γνώσεως (of knowledge) καὶ (and) τῆς (of the) ἀληθείας (truth) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) νόμῳ (law)—
21 ὁ (you) οὖν (then) διδάσκων (teaching) ἕτερον (another), σεαυτὸν (yourself) οὐ (not) διδάσκεις (do you teach)? ὁ (You) κηρύσσων (preaching) μὴ (not) κλέπτειν (to steal), κλέπτεις (do you steal)?
22 ὁ (You) λέγων (saying) μὴ (not) μοιχεύειν (to commit adultery), μοιχεύεις (do you commit adultery)? ὁ (You) βδελυσσόμενος (abhorring) τὰ ( ) εἴδωλα (idols), ἱεροσυλεῖς (do you rob temples)?
23 ὃς (You who) ἐν (in) νόμῳ (law) καυχᾶσαι (boast), διὰ (through) τῆς (the) παραβάσεως (transgression) τοῦ (of the) νόμου (law), τὸν ( ) Θεὸν (God) ἀτιμάζεις (dishonor you)?
24 τὸ ( ) γὰρ (For), “Ὄνομα (The name) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) δι’ (through) ὑμᾶς (you) βλασφημεῖται (is blasphemed) ἐν (among) τοῖς (the) ἔθνεσιν (Gentiles),”b καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written).
25 Περιτομὴ (Circumcision) μὲν (indeed) γὰρ ( ) ὠφελεῖ (profits), ἐὰν (if) νόμον (the law) πράσσῃς (you do); ἐὰν (if) δὲ (however) παραβάτης (a transgressor) νόμου (of law) ᾖς (you are), ἡ (the) περιτομή (circumcision) σου (of you) ἀκροβυστία (uncircumcision) γέγονεν (has become).
26 ἐὰν (If) οὖν (therefore) ἡ (the) ἀκροβυστία (uncircumcision), τὰ (the) δικαιώματα (requirements) τοῦ (of the) νόμου (law) φυλάσσῃ (keeps), οὐχ (not) ἡ (the) ἀκροβυστία (uncircumcision) αὐτοῦ (of him) εἰς (for) περιτομὴν (circumcision) λογισθήσεται (will be reckoned)?
27 καὶ (And) κρινεῖ (will judge) ἡ (the) ἐκ (by) φύσεως (nature) ἀκροβυστία (uncircumcision), τὸν (the) νόμον (law) τελοῦσα (fulfilling), σὲ (you) τὸν (who) διὰ (with) γράμματος (the letter) καὶ (and) περιτομῆς (circumcision) παραβάτην (are a transgressor) νόμου (of law).
28 Οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) ὁ (the one) ἐν (on) τῷ (the) φανερῷ (outward) Ἰουδαῖός (a Jew) ἐστιν (is); οὐδὲ (neither) ἡ (the one) ἐν (outwardly), τῷ (the) φανερῷ (outward) ἐν (in) σαρκὶ (flesh), περιτομή (is circumcision);
29 ἀλλ’ (but) ὁ (he who is) ἐν (on) τῷ (the) κρυπτῷ (inward) Ἰουδαῖος (a Jew is one); καὶ (and) περιτομὴ (circumcision is) καρδίας (of heart), ἐν (in) πνεύματι (spirit), οὐ (not) γράμματι (in letter); οὗ (of whom) ὁ (the) ἔπαινος (praise) οὐκ (is not) ἐξ (of) ἀνθρώπων (men), ἀλλ’ (but) ἐκ (of) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (God).
Chapter 3
1 Τί (What) οὖν (then is) τὸ (the) περισσὸν (superiority) τοῦ (of the) Ἰουδαίου (Jew)? ἢ (Or) τίς (what is) ἡ (the) ὠφέλεια (benefit) τῆς (of the) περιτομῆς (circumcision)?
2 πολὺ (Much) κατὰ (in) πάντα (every) τρόπον (way). πρῶτον (Chiefly) μὲν (indeed) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (that) ἐπιστεύθησαν (they were entrusted with) τὰ (the) λόγια (oracles) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God).
3 Τί (What) γάρ (for) εἰ (if) ἠπίστησάν (disbelieved) τινες (some)? μὴ (Not) ἡ (the) ἀπιστία (unbelief) αὐτῶν (of them), τὴν (the) πίστιν (faithfulness) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) καταργήσει (will nullify)?
4 μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! γινέσθω (Let be) δὲ (however) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) ἀληθής (true), πᾶς (every) δὲ (now) ἄνθρωπος (man) ψεύστης (a liar), καθὼς* (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ὅπως (That) ἂν ( ) δικαιωθῇς (You may be justified) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) λόγοις (words) σου (of You), καὶ (and) νικήσεις (will prevail) ἐν (in) τῷ ( ) κρίνεσθαί (being judged) σε (Your).”a
5 Εἰ (If) δὲ (however) ἡ (the) ἀδικία (unrighteousness) ἡμῶν (of us), Θεοῦ (God’s) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness) συνίστησιν (shows), τί (what) ἐροῦμεν (shall we say)? μὴ (Is) ἄδικος (unrighteous) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God), ὁ ( ) ἐπιφέρων (inflicting) τὴν (the) ὀργήν (wrath)? κατὰ (According to) ἄνθρωπον (man) λέγω (I speak).
6 μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! ἐπεὶ (Otherwise), πῶς (how) κρινεῖ (will judge) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) τὸν (the) κόσμον (world)?
7 εἰ (If) δὲ (however) ἡ (the) ἀλήθεια (truth) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), ἐν (in) τῷ ( ) ἐμῷ (my) ψεύσματι (lie), ἐπερίσσευσεν (abounded) εἰς (to) τὴν (the) δόξαν (glory) αὐτοῦ (of Him), τί (why) ἔτι (still) κἀγὼ (also I) ὡς (as) ἁμαρτωλὸς (a sinner) κρίνομαι (am judged)?
8 καὶ (And is it) μὴ (not), καθὼς (as) βλασφημούμεθα (we are slanderously charged), καὶ (and) καθώς (as) φασίν (affirm) τινες (some that) ἡμᾶς (us) λέγειν (to say) ὅτι ( ), “Ποιήσωμεν (Let us do) τὰ (things) κακὰ (evil), ἵνα (that) ἔλθῃ (may come) τὰ (the) ἀγαθά (good things)?” ὧν (Their) τὸ ( ) κρίμα (condemnation) ἔνδικόν (just) ἐστιν (is). There is No One Righteous(Psalm 14:1 7)
9 Τί (What) οὖν (then)? προεχόμεθα (Are we better)? οὐ (Not) πάντως (at all). προῃτιασάμεθα (We have already charged) γὰρ (for) Ἰουδαίους (Jews) τε (both) καὶ (and) Ἕλληνας (Greeks) πάντας (all) ὑφ’ (under) ἁμαρτίαν (sin) εἶναι (to be).
10 καθὼς (As) γέγραπται (it has been written) ὅτι ( ): “Οὐκ (None) ἔστιν (there is) δίκαιος (righteous), οὐδὲ (not even) εἷς (one);
11 οὐκ (none) ἔστιν (there is) ὁ ( ) συνίων (understanding); οὐκ (none) ἔστιν (there is) ὁ ( ) ἐκζητῶν (seeking after) τὸν ( ) Θεόν (God).
12 πάντες (All) ἐξέκλιναν (have turned away), ἅμα (together they) ἠχρεώθησαν (have become worthless); οὐκ (none) ἔστιν (there is) ὁ (who) ποιῶν (is practicing) χρηστότητα (good), οὐκ (not) ἔστιν (there is) ἕως (so much as) ἑνός (one).b
13 τάφος (A grave) ἀνεῳγμένος (having been opened) ὁ (the) λάρυγξ (throat) αὐτῶν (of them is); ταῖς (with the) γλώσσαις (tongues) αὐτῶν (of them) ἐδολιοῦσαν (they keep practicing deceit);c ἰὸς (the venom) ἀσπίδων (of vipers) ὑπὸ (is under) τὰ (the) χείλη (lips) αὐτῶν (of them),d
14 ὧν (of whom) τὸ (the) στόμα (mouth) ἀρᾶς (of cursing) καὶ (and) πικρίας (of bitterness) γέμει (is full);e
15 ὀξεῖς (swift are) οἱ (the) πόδες (feet) αὐτῶν (of them) ἐκχέαι (to shed) αἷμα (blood);
16 σύντριμμα (ruin) καὶ (and) ταλαιπωρία (misery) ἐν (are in) ταῖς (the) ὁδοῖς (paths) αὐτῶν (of them);
17 καὶ (and) ὁδὸν (the way) εἰρήνης (of peace) οὐκ (not) ἔγνωσαν (they have known).f
18 οὐκ (Not) ἔστιν (there is) φόβος (fear) Θεοῦ (of God) ἀπέναντι (before) τῶν (the) ὀφθαλμῶν (eyes) αὐτῶν (of them).”g
19 Οἴδαμεν (We know) δὲ (now) ὅτι (that) ὅσα (whatever) ὁ (the) νόμος (law) λέγει (says), τοῖς (to those) ἐν (under) τῷ (the) νόμῳ (law) λαλεῖ (it speaks), ἵνα (so that) πᾶν (every) στόμα (mouth) φραγῇ (may be stopped), καὶ (and) ὑπόδικος (under judgment) γένηται (may be) πᾶς (all) ὁ (the) κόσμος (world) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God).
20 διότι (Therefore) ἐξ (by) ἔργων (works) νόμου (of the Law) οὐ (not) δικαιωθήσεται (will be justified) πᾶσα (any) σὰρξ (flesh) ἐνώπιον (before) αὐτοῦ (Him); διὰ (through) γὰρ (for) νόμου (the Law) ἐπίγνωσις (is knowledge) ἁμαρτίας (of sin). Righteousness through Faith
21 Νυνὶ (Now) δὲ (however), χωρὶς (apart from) νόμου (law), δικαιοσύνη (the righteousness) Θεοῦ (of God) πεφανέρωται (has been revealed), μαρτυρουμένη (being borne witness to) ὑπὸ (by) τοῦ (the) νόμου (Law) καὶ (and) τῶν (the) προφητῶν (Prophets),
22 δικαιοσύνη (the righteousness) δὲ (now) Θεοῦ (of God) διὰ (through) πίστεως (faith) Ἰῦ (from IS) Χῦ (XS) εἰς (toward) πάντας (all) τοὺς (those) πιστεύοντας (believing). οὐ (Not) γάρ (for) ἐστιν (there is) διαστολή (distinction).
23 πάντες (All) γὰρ (for) ἥμαρτον (have sinned) καὶ (and) ὑστεροῦνται (fall short) τῆς (of the) δόξης (glory) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God),
24 δικαιούμενοι (being justified) δωρεὰν (freely) τῇ (by the) αὐτοῦ (of Him) χάριτι (grace) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) ἀπολυτρώσεως (redemption) τῆς (that) ἐν (is in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS),
25 ὃν (whom) προέθετο (set forth as) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) ἱλαστήριον (a propitiation), διὰ (through) [τῆς] ( ) πίστεως (faith) ἐν (in) τῷ ( ) αὐτοῦ (His) αἵματι (blood), εἰς (for) ἔνδειξιν (a showing forth) τῆς (of the) δικαιοσύνης (righteousness) αὐτοῦ (of Him), διὰ (because of) τὴν (the) πάρεσιν (forbearance) τῶν (of the) προγεγονότων (having taken place beforehand) ἁμαρτημάτων (sins) —
26 ἐν (in) τῇ (the) ἀνοχῇ (forbearance) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God); πρὸς (for) τὴν (of) ἔνδειξιν (the showing forth) τῆς (the) δικαιοσύνης (righteousness) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) νῦν (present) καιρῷ (time), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) εἶναι (to be) αὐτὸν (Him) δίκαιον (just) καὶ (and) δικαιοῦντα (justifying) τὸν (the one) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith) Ἰῦ (of IS).
27 Ποῦ (Where) οὖν (then is) ἡ (the) καύχησις (boasting)? ἐξεκλείσθη (It has been excluded). διὰ (Through) ποίου (what) νόμου (principle)? τῶν (That) ἔργων (of works)? οὐχί (No), ἀλλὰ (but) διὰ (through) νόμου (the principle) πίστεως (of faith).
28 λογιζόμεθα (We reckon) γὰρ (therefore) δικαιοῦσθαι (to be justified) πίστει (by faith) ἄνθρωπον (a man), χωρὶς (apart from) ἔργων (works) νόμου (of the Law).
29 Ἢ (Or) Ἰουδαίων (of Jews) ὁ (is He the) Θεὸς (God) μόνον (only), οὐχὶ (not) καὶ (also) ἐθνῶν (of Gentiles)? ναὶ (Yes), καὶ (also) ἐθνῶν (of Gentiles),
30 εἴπερ (since indeed) εἷς (One) ὁ ( ) Θεός (God is), ὃς (who) δικαιώσει (will justify) περιτομὴν (the circumcision) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith) καὶ (and) ἀκροβυστίαν (the uncircumcision) διὰ (through) τῆς (the same) πίστεως (faith).
31 Νόμον (Law) οὖν (then) καταργοῦμεν (do we nullify) διὰ (through) τῆς ( ) πίστεως (faith)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! ἀλλὰ (Instead), νόμον (law) ἱστάνομεν (we uphold).
Chapter 4
1 Τί (What) οὖν (then) ἐροῦμεν (shall we say) εὑρηκέναι (discovered) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraham), τὸν (the) προπάτορα (father) ἡμῶν (of us), κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (the flesh)?
2 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraham) ἐξ (by) ἔργων (works) ἐδικαιώθη (was justified), ἔχει (he has) καύχημα (ground of boasting), ἀλλ’ (but) οὐ (not) πρὸς (toward) Θεόν (God).
3 τί (What) γὰρ (for) ἡ (the) γραφὴ (Scripture) λέγει (says)? “Ἐπίστευσεν (Believed) δὲ (then) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraham) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (God), καὶ (and) ἐλογίσθη (it was reckoned) αὐτῷ (to him) εἰς (for) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness).”a
4 Τῷ (To the one) δὲ (now) ἐργαζομένῳ (working), ὁ (the) μισθὸς (reward) οὐ (not) λογίζεται (is reckoned) κατὰ (according to) χάριν (grace), ἀλλὰ (but) κατὰ (according to) ὀφείλημα (debt).
5 τῷ (To the one) δὲ (however) μὴ (not) ἐργαζομένῳ (working), πιστεύοντι (believing) δὲ (however) ἐπὶ (on) τὸν (the One) δικαιοῦντα (justifying) τὸν (the) ἀσεβῆ (ungodly), λογίζεται (is reckoned) ἡ (the) πίστις (faith) αὐτοῦ (of him) εἰς (for) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness),
6 καθάπερ (just as) καὶ (also) Δαυὶδ (David) λέγει (declares) τὸν (the) μακαρισμὸν (blessedness) τοῦ (of the) ἀνθρώπου (man) ᾧ (to whom) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) λογίζεται (credits) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness) χωρὶς (apart from) ἔργων (works):
7 “Μακάριοι (Blessed) ὧν (are they of whom) ἀφέθησαν (are forgiven) αἱ (the) ἀνομίαι (lawless deeds), καὶ (and) ὧν (of whom) ἐπεκαλύφθησαν (are covered) αἱ (the) ἁμαρτίαι (sins);
8 μακάριος (blessed) ἀνὴρ (the man) οὗ (against whom) οὐ (no) μὴ (not) λογίσηται (will reckon) Κύριος (the Lord) ἁμαρτίαν (sin).”b
9 Ὁ (Is the) μακαρισμὸς (blessing) οὖν (then) οὗτος (this) ἐπὶ (on) τὴν (the) περιτομὴν (circumcision), ἢ (or) καὶ (also) ἐπὶ (on) τὴν (the) ἀκροβυστίαν (uncircumcision)? λέγομεν (We are saying) γάρ (for) Ἐλογίσθη (was credited) τῷ ( ) Ἀβραὰμ (to Abraham) ἡ (the) πίστις (faith) εἰς (as) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness).
10 πῶς (How) οὖν (then) ἐλογίσθη (was it credited)? ἐν (In) περιτομῇ (circumcision) ὄντι (being), ἢ (or) ἐν (in) ἀκροβυστίᾳ (uncircumcision)? οὐκ (Not) ἐν (in) περιτομῇ (circumcision), ἀλλ’ (but) ἐν (in) ἀκροβυστίᾳ (uncircumcision).
11 Καὶ (And) σημεῖον (the sign) ἔλαβεν (he received) περιτομῆς (of circumcision), σφραγῖδα (a seal) τῆς (of the) δικαιοσύνης (righteousness) τῆς (of the) πίστεως (faith) τῆς (that he had) ἐν (while in) τῇ (the) ἀκροβυστίᾳ (uncircumcision), εἰς (for) τὸ (the) εἶναι (to be) αὐτὸν (him) πατέρα (father) πάντων (of all) τῶν (those) πιστευόντων (believing), δι’ (in) ἀκροβυστίας (uncircumcision), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) λογισθῆναι (to be credited) [καὶ] (also) αὐτοῖς (to them) τὴν (the) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness),
12 καὶ (and) πατέρα (father) περιτομῆς (of circumcision) τοῖς (to those) οὐκ (not) ἐκ (of) περιτομῆς (circumcision) μόνον (only), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) τοῖς (to those) στοιχοῦσιν (walking) τοῖς (in the) ἴχνεσιν (steps) τῆς (of the) ἐν (during) ἀκροβυστίᾳ (uncircumcision) πίστεως (faith) τοῦ (of the) πατρὸς (father) ἡμῶν (of us), Ἀβραάμ (Abraham). Abraham Receives the Promise(Genesis 15:8 21; Numbers 34:1 15)
13 Οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) διὰ (through) νόμου (the Law) ἡ (the) ἐπαγγελία (promise was) τῷ ( ) Ἀβραὰμ (to Abraham) ἢ (or) τῷ (the) σπέρματι (descendants) αὐτοῦ (of him) τὸ (that) κληρονόμον (heir) αὐτὸν (he) εἶναι (should be) κόσμου (of the world), ἀλλὰ (but) διὰ (through) δικαιοσύνης (the righteousness) πίστεως (of faith).
14 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) οἱ (those) ἐκ (of) νόμου (the Law are) κληρονόμοι (heirs), κεκένωται (has been made void) ἡ ( ) πίστις (faith), καὶ (and) κατήργηται (made of no effect) ἡ (the) ἐπαγγελία (promise).
15 ὁ ( ) γὰρ (For) νόμος (law) ὀργὴν (wrath) κατεργάζεται (brings); οὗ (where) δὲ (now) οὐκ (no) ἔστιν (there is) νόμος (law), οὐδὲ (neither is) παράβασις (transgression).
16 Διὰ (Therefore) τοῦτο (it is) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith), ἵνα (that it may be) κατὰ (according to) χάριν (grace), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) εἶναι (to be) βεβαίαν (sure) τὴν (the) ἐπαγγελίαν (promise) παντὶ (to all) τῷ (the) σπέρματι (seed), οὐ (not) τῷ (to that) ἐκ (of) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law) μόνον (only), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) τῷ (to that) ἐκ (of the) πίστεως (faith) Ἀβραάμ (of Abraham), ὅς (who) ἐστιν (is) πατὴρ (the father) πάντων (of all) ἡμῶν (of us) —
17 καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written) ὅτι ( ): “Πατέρα (A father) πολλῶν (of many) ἐθνῶν (nations) τέθεικά (I have made) σε (you).”c — κατέναντι (before) οὗ (whom) ἐπίστευσεν (he believed) Θεοῦ (God), τοῦ (the One) ζωοποιοῦντος (giving life) τοὺς (to the) νεκροὺς (dead) καὶ (and) καλοῦντος (calling) τὰ (the things) μὴ (not) ὄντα (into being) ὡς (even) ὄντα (existing),
18 ὃς (who) παρ’ (against) ἐλπίδα (hope), ἐπ’ (in) ἐλπίδι (hope) ἐπίστευσεν (believed), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) γενέσθαι (to become) αὐτὸν (him) πατέρα (the father) πολλῶν (of many) ἐθνῶν (nations), κατὰ (according to) τὸ (that) εἰρημένον (having been spoken), “Οὕτως (So) ἔσται (shall be) τὸ (the) σπέρμα (offspring) σου (of you).”d
19 καὶ (And) μὴ (not) ἀσθενήσας (having become weak) τῇ (in the) πίστει (faith), κατενόησεν (he considered) τὸ ( ) ἑαυτοῦ (of himself) σῶμα (the body) [ἤδη] (already) νενεκρωμένον (having become dead), ἑκατονταετής (a hundred years old) που (about) ὑπάρχων (being), καὶ (and) τὴν (the) νέκρωσιν (lifelessness) τῆς (of the) μήτρας (womb) Σάρρας (of Sarah).
20 εἰς (At) δὲ (however) τὴν (the) ἐπαγγελίαν (promise) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), οὐ (not) διεκρίθη (he did waver) τῇ ( ) ἀπιστίᾳ (through unbelief), ἀλλὰ (but) ἐνεδυναμώθη (was strengthened) τῇ ( ) πίστει (in faith), δοὺς (having given) δόξαν (glory) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God),
21 καὶ (and) πληροφορηθεὶς (having been fully assured) ὅτι (that) ὃ (what) ἐπήγγελται (He had promised), δυνατός (able) ἐστιν (He is) καὶ (also) ποιῆσαι (to do).
22 διὸ (Therefore) καὶ (also) “Ἐλογίσθη (it was credited) αὐτῷ (to him) εἰς (unto) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness).”e
23 Οὐκ (Not) ἐγράφη (it was written) δὲ (now) δι’ (on account of) αὐτὸν (him) μόνον (alone) ὅτι (that) “Ἐλογίσθη (it was credited) αὐτῷ (to him),”
24 ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) δι’ (on account of) ἡμᾶς (us), οἷς (to whom) μέλλει (it is about) λογίζεσθαι (to be credited), τοῖς (to those) πιστεύουσιν (believing) ἐπὶ (on) τὸν (the One) ἐγείραντα (having raised) Ἰν (IS) τὸν (the) Κύριον (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead),
25 ὃς (who) παρεδόθη (was delivered over) διὰ (for) τὰ (the) παραπτώματα (trespasses) ἡμῶν (of us), καὶ (and) ἠγέρθη (was raised) διὰ (for) τὴν (the) δικαίωσιν (justification) ἡμῶν (of us).
Chapter 5
1 Δικαιωθέντες (Having been justified) οὖν (therefore) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith), εἰρήνην (peace) ἔχομεν* (we have)a πρὸς (with) τὸν ( ) Θεὸν (God), διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS),
2 δι’ (through) οὗ (whom) καὶ (also) τὴν ( ) προσαγωγὴν (access) ἐσχήκαμεν (we have) τῇ (by the) πίστει (faith) εἰς (into) τὴν (the) χάριν (grace) ταύτην (this) ἐν (in) ᾗ (which) ἑστήκαμεν (we stand); καὶ (and) καυχώμεθα (we boast) ἐπ’ (in) ἐλπίδι (hope) τῆς (of the) δόξης (glory) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God).
3 Οὐ (Not) μόνον (only so) δέ (now), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) καυχώμεθα (we glory) ἐν (in) ταῖς ( ) θλίψεσιν (tribulations), εἰδότες (knowing) ὅτι (that) ἡ ( ) θλῖψις (tribulation), ὑπομονὴν (perseverance) κατεργάζεται (produces);
4 ἡ ( ) δὲ (And) ὑπομονὴ (perseverance), δοκιμήν (character); ἡ ( ) δὲ (and) δοκιμὴ (character), ἐλπίδα (hope).
5 ἡ ( ) δὲ (And) ἐλπὶς (hope) οὐ (not) καταισχύνει (does make us ashamed), ὅτι (because) ἡ (the) ἀγάπη (love) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) ἐκκέχυται (has been poured out) ἐν (into) ταῖς (the) καρδίαις (hearts) ἡμῶν (of us) διὰ (through) Πνεύματος (the Spirit) Ἁγίου (Holy), τοῦ (the One) δοθέντος (having been given) ἡμῖν (to us). XS's Sacrifice for the Ungodly(Genesis 22:1 10; John 3:16 21)
6 Ἔτι (Yet) γὰρ (indeed) Χς (XS), ὄντων (being) ἡμῶν (of us) ἀσθενῶν (without strength) ἔτι (still), κατὰ (according to) καιρὸν (the right time), ὑπὲρ (for) ἀσεβῶν (the ungodly) ἀπέθανεν (died).
7 μόλις (Rarely) γὰρ (indeed) ὑπὲρ (for) δικαίου (a righteous man) τις (anyone) ἀποθανεῖται (will die); ὑπὲρ (on behalf of) γὰρ (though) τοῦ (the) ἀγαθοῦ (good man), τάχα (perhaps) τις (someone) καὶ (even) τολμᾷ (would dare) ἀποθανεῖν (to die).
8 συνίστησιν (Demonstrates) δὲ (however) τὴν (the) ἑαυτοῦ (of Himself) ἀγάπην (love) εἰς (to) ἡμᾶς (us) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God), ὅτι (that) ἔτι (still) ἁμαρτωλῶν (sinners) ὄντων (being) ἡμῶν (of us), Χς (XS) ὑπὲρ (for) ἡμῶν (us) ἀπέθανεν (died).
9 Πολλῷ (Much) οὖν (therefore) μᾶλλον (more), δικαιωθέντες (having been justified) νῦν (now) ἐν (by) τῷ (the) αἵματι (blood) αὐτοῦ (of Him), σωθησόμεθα (we will be saved) δι’ (by) αὐτοῦ (Him) ἀπὸ (from) τῆς (the) ὀργῆς (wrath)!
10 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for), ἐχθροὶ (enemies) ὄντες (being), κατηλλάγημεν (we were reconciled) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) θανάτου (death) τοῦ (of the) Υἱοῦ (Son) αὐτοῦ (of Him), πολλῷ (much) μᾶλλον (more), καταλλαγέντες (having been reconciled), σωθησόμεθα (shall we be saved) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) ζωῇ (life) αὐτοῦ (of Him)!
11 οὐ (Not) μόνον (only so) δέ (now), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) καυχώμενοι (we are rejoicing) ἐν (in) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (God) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS), δι’ (through) οὗ (whom) νῦν (now) τὴν (the) καταλλαγὴν (reconciliation) ἐλάβομεν (we have received). Death in Adam, Life in XS(Genesis 3:1 7; Genesis 7:1 5; 2 Peter 3:1 9)
12 Διὰ (Because of) τοῦτο (this), ὥσπερ (just as) δι’ (through) ἑνὸς (one) ἀνθρώπου (man) ἡ ( ) ἁμαρτία (sin) εἰς (into) τὸν (the) κόσμον (world) εἰσῆλθεν (entered), καὶ (and) διὰ (through) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (sin), ὁ ( ) θάνατος (death); καὶ (also) οὕτως (thus) εἰς (to) πάντας (all) ἀνθρώπους (men) ὁ ( ) θάνατος (death) διῆλθεν (passed), ἐφ’ (for) ᾧ (that) πάντες (all) ἥμαρτον (sinned).
13 ἄχρι (Until) γὰρ (for) νόμου (the law), ἁμαρτία (sin) ἦν (was) ἐν (in the) κόσμῳ (world); ἁμαρτία (sin) δὲ (however) οὐκ (not) ἐλλογεῖται (is imputed), μὴ (not) ὄντος (there being) νόμου (law).
14 ἀλλὰ (Nevertheless) ἐβασίλευσεν (reigned) ὁ ( ) θάνατος (death) ἀπὸ (from) Ἀδὰμ (Adam) μέχρι (until) Μωϋσέως (Moses), καὶ (even) ἐπὶ (over) τοὺς (those) μὴ (not) ἁμαρτήσαντας (having sinned) ἐπὶ (in) τῷ (the) ὁμοιώματι (likeness) τῆς (of the) παραβάσεως (transgression) Ἀδάμ (of Adam), ὅς (who) ἐστιν (is) τύπος (a type) τοῦ (of the) μέλλοντος (coming One).
15 Ἀλλ’ (But) οὐχ (is not) ὡς (like) τὸ (the) παράπτωμα (trespass) οὕτως (so) καὶ (also) τὸ (the) χάρισμα (gift). εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) τῷ (by the) τοῦ (of the) ἑνὸς (one) παραπτώματι (trespass), οἱ (the) πολλοὶ (many) ἀπέθανον (died), πολλῷ (how much) μᾶλλον (more) ἡ (the) χάρις (grace) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) καὶ (and) ἡ (the) δωρεὰ (gift) ἐν (in) χάριτι (grace) τῇ (which is) τοῦ (of the) ἑνὸς (one) ἀνθρώπου (man), Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS), εἰς (to) τοὺς (the) πολλοὺς (many) ἐπερίσσευσεν (did abound)!
16 καὶ (And) οὐχ (is not) ὡς (as) δι’ (through) ἑνὸς (one) ἁμαρτήσαντος (having sinned), τὸ (the) δώρημα (gift). τὸ (The) μὲν (truly) γὰρ (for) κρίμα (judgment was), ἐξ (of) ἑνὸς (one) εἰς (was unto) κατάκριμα (condemnation); τὸ ( ) δὲ (but) χάρισμα (the gift) ἐκ (is out of) πολλῶν (many) παραπτωμάτων (trespasses), εἰς (unto) δικαίωμα (justification).
17 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for), τῷ (by the) τοῦ (of the) ἑνὸς (one) παραπτώματι (trespass), ὁ ( ) θάνατος (death) ἐβασίλευσεν (reigned) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) ἑνός (one), πολλῷ (how much) μᾶλλον (more) οἱ (those) τὴν (the) περισσείαν (abundance) τῆς ( ) χάριτος (of grace), καὶ (and) τῆς (of the) δωρεᾶς (gift) τῆς ( ) δικαιοσύνης (of righteousness) λαμβάνοντες (receiving), ἐν (in) ζωῇ (life) βασιλεύσουσιν (will reign) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) ἑνὸς (one), Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS)!
18 Ἄρα (So) οὖν (then), ὡς (just as) δι’ (by) ἑνὸς (one) παραπτώματος (trespass), εἰς (to) πάντας (all) ἀνθρώπους (men) εἰς (it is unto) κατάκριμα (condemnation), οὕτως (so) καὶ (also) δι’ (by) ἑνὸς (one) δικαιώματος (act of righteousness), εἰς (to) πάντας (all) ἀνθρώπους (men) εἰς (it is unto) δικαίωσιν (justification) ζωῆς (of life).
19 ὥσπερ (For as) γὰρ (for) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) παρακοῆς (disobedience) τοῦ (of the) ἑνὸς (one) ἀνθρώπου (man), ἁμαρτωλοὶ (sinners) κατεστάθησαν (were made) οἱ (the) πολλοί (many), οὕτως (so) καὶ (also) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) ὑπακοῆς (obedience) τοῦ (of the) ἑνὸς (One), δίκαιοι (righteous) κατασταθήσονται (will be made) οἱ (the) πολλοί (many).
20 Νόμος (The law) δὲ (now) παρεισῆλθεν (entered), ἵνα (so that) πλεονάσῃ (might abound) τὸ (the) παράπτωμα (trespass); οὗ (where) δὲ (however) ἐπλεόνασεν (abounded) ἡ ( ) ἁμαρτία (sin), ὑπερεπερίσσευσεν (overabounded) ἡ ( ) χάρις (grace),
21 ἵνα (so that) ὥσπερ (just as) ἐβασίλευσεν (reigned) ἡ (the) ἁμαρτία (sin) ἐν (in) τῷ ( ) θανάτῳ (death), οὕτως (so) καὶ (also) ἡ ( ) χάρις (grace) βασιλεύσῃ (might reign) διὰ (through) δικαιοσύνης (righteousness), εἰς (unto) ζωὴν (life) αἰώνιον (eternal), διὰ (through) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS) τοῦ (the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us).
Chapter 6
1 Τί (What) οὖν (then) ἐροῦμεν (will we say)? ἐπιμένωμεν (Shall we continue) τῇ ( ) ἁμαρτίᾳ (in sin), ἵνα (that) ἡ ( ) χάρις (grace) πλεονάσῃ (may abound)?
2 μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! οἵτινες (Who) ἀπεθάνομεν (we died) τῇ ( ) ἁμαρτίᾳ (to sin), πῶς (how) ἔτι (still) ζήσομεν (shall we live) ἐν (in) αὐτῇ (it)?
3 ἢ (Or) ἀγνοεῖτε (are you unaware) ὅτι (that) ὅσοι (as many as) ἐβαπτίσθημεν (have been baptized) εἰς (into) Χν (XS) Ἰν (IS), εἰς (into) τὸν (the) θάνατον (death) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἐβαπτίσθημεν (have been baptized)?
4 συνετάφημεν (We were buried) οὖν (therefore) αὐτῷ (with Him) διὰ (through) τοῦ ( ) βαπτίσματος (baptism) εἰς (into) τὸν ( ) θάνατον (death), ἵνα (so that) ὥσπερ (just as) ἠγέρθη (was raised up) Χς (XS) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead) διὰ (by) τῆς (the) δόξης (glory) τοῦ (of the) Πατρός (Father), οὕτως (so) καὶ (also) ἡμεῖς (we) ἐν (in) καινότητι (newness) ζωῆς (of life) περιπατήσωμεν (should walk).
5 Εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) σύμφυτοι (united) γεγόναμεν (we have become) τῷ (in the) ὁμοιώματι (likeness) τοῦ (of the) θανάτου (death) αὐτοῦ (of Him), ἀλλὰ (certainly) καὶ (also) τῆς (of the) ἀναστάσεως (resurrection) ἐσόμεθα (we will be);
6 τοῦτο (this) γινώσκοντες (knowing), ὅτι (that) ὁ ( ) παλαιὸς (old) ἡμῶν (of us) ἄνθρωπος (self) συνεσταυρώθη (was crucified with Him), ἵνα (so that) καταργηθῇ (might be annulled) τὸ (the) σῶμα (body) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (of sin), τοῦ (that) μηκέτι (no longer) δουλεύειν (are enslaved) ἡμᾶς (we) τῇ ( ) ἁμαρτίᾳ (to sin).
7 ὁ (The one) γὰρ (for) ἀποθανὼν (having died) δεδικαίωται (has been freed) ἀπὸ (from) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (sin).
8 Εἰ (If) δὲ (now) ἀπεθάνομεν (we died) σὺν (with) Χῷ (XS), πιστεύομεν (we believe) ὅτι (that) καὶ (also) συζήσομεν* (we will live with) αὐτῷ (Him),
9 εἰδότες (knowing) ὅτι (that) Χς (XS), ἐγερθεὶς (having been raised up) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead), οὐκέτι (no more) ἀποθνῄσκει (dies). θάνατος (Death) αὐτοῦ (Him) οὐκέτι (no longer) κυριεύει (rules over).
10 ὃ (That which) γὰρ (for) ἀπέθανεν (He died), τῇ ( ) ἁμαρτίᾳ (to sin) ἀπέθανεν (He died) ἐφάπαξ (once for all); ὃ (that which) δὲ (however) ζῇ (He lives), ζῇ (He lives) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God).
11 οὕτως (So) καὶ (also) ὑμεῖς (you), λογίζεσθε (consider) ἑαυτοὺς (yourselves) εἶναι (to be) νεκροὺς (dead) μὲν (indeed) τῇ ( ) ἁμαρτίᾳ (to sin), ζῶντας (living) δὲ (however) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS).
12 Μὴ (Not) οὖν (therefore) βασιλευέτω (let reign) ἡ ( ) ἁμαρτία (sin) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) θνητῷ (mortal) ὑμῶν (of you) σώματι (body), εἰς (in order) τὸ ( ) ὑπακούειν (to obey) ταῖς (the) ἐπιθυμίαις (desires) αὐτοῦ (of it).
13 μηδὲ (Neither) παριστάνετε (yield) τὰ (the) μέλη (members) ὑμῶν (of you) ὅπλα (as instruments) ἀδικίας (of unrighteousness) τῇ ( ) ἁμαρτίᾳ (to sin), ἀλλὰ (but) παραστήσατε (yield) ἑαυτοὺς (yourselves) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God), ὡσεὶ (as) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead) ζῶντας (living), καὶ (and) τὰ (the) μέλη (members) ὑμῶν (of you), ὅπλα (as instruments) δικαιοσύνης (of righteousness) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God).
14 ἁμαρτία (Sin) γὰρ (for) ὑμῶν (you) οὐ (not) κυριεύσει (will rule over), οὐ (not) γάρ (for) ἐστε (you are) ὑπὸ (under) νόμον (law), ἀλλὰ (but) ὑπὸ (under) χάριν (grace). The Wages of Sin(1 Peter 3:14 22)
15 Τί (What) οὖν (then)? ἁμαρτήσωμεν (Shall we sin) ὅτι (because) οὐκ (not) ἐσμὲν (we are) ὑπὸ (under) νόμον (law), ἀλλὰ (but) ὑπὸ (under) χάριν (grace)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)!
16 οὐκ (Not) οἴδατε (know you) ὅτι (that) ᾧ (to whom) παριστάνετε (you yield) ἑαυτοὺς (yourselves) δούλους (as slaves) εἰς (for) ὑπακοήν (obedience), δοῦλοί (slaves) ἐστε (you are) ᾧ (to him whom) ὑπακούετε (you obey), ἤτοι (whether) ἁμαρτίας (of sin) εἰς (to) θάνατον (death), ἢ (or) ὑπακοῆς (of obedience) εἰς (to) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness)?
17 χάρις (Thanks be) δὲ (however) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God) ὅτι (that) ἦτε (you used to be) δοῦλοι (slaves) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (of sin), ὑπηκούσατε (you have become obedient) δὲ (now) ἐκ (from the) καρδίας (heart), εἰς (to) ὃν (which) παρεδόθητε (you were handed over) τύπον (to the form) διδαχῆς (of teaching).
18 ἐλευθερωθέντες (Having been set free) δὲ (now) ἀπὸ (from) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (sin), ἐδουλώθητε (you have become slaves) τῇ ( ) δικαιοσύνῃ (to righteousness).
19 Ἀνθρώπινον (In human terms) λέγω (I speak) διὰ (on account of) τὴν (the) ἀσθένειαν (weakness) τῆς (of the) σαρκὸς (flesh) ὑμῶν (of you). ὥσπερ (For as) γὰρ (for) παρεστήσατε (you yielded) τὰ (the) μέλη (members) ὑμῶν (of you) δοῦλα (in bondage) τῇ ( ) ἀκαθαρσίᾳ (to impurity) καὶ (and) τῇ (to) ἀνομίᾳ (lawlessness) εἰς (unto) τὴν ( ) ἀνομίαν (lawlessness), οὕτως (so) νῦν (now) παραστήσατε (yield) τὰ (the) μέλη (members) ὑμῶν (of you) δοῦλα (in bondage) τῇ ( ) δικαιοσύνῃ (to righteousness) εἰς (unto) ἁγιασμόν (sanctification).
20 Ὅτε (When) γὰρ (for) δοῦλοι (slaves) ἦτε (you were) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (of sin), ἐλεύθεροι (free) ἦτε (you were) τῇ ( ) δικαιοσύνῃ (from righteousness).
21 τίνα (What) οὖν (therefore) καρπὸν (fruit) εἴχετε (had you) τότε (then) ἐφ’ (in the things) οἷς (of which) νῦν (now) ἐπαισχύνεσθε (you are ashamed)? τὸ (The) γὰρ (for) τέλος (end) ἐκείνων (of those things) θάνατος (is death).
22 νυνὶ (Now) δέ (however), ἐλευθερωθέντες (having been set free) ἀπὸ (from) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (sin), δουλωθέντες (having become slaves) δὲ (now) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God), ἔχετε (you have) τὸν (the) καρπὸν (fruit) ὑμῶν (of you) εἰς (unto) ἁγιασμόν (sanctification); τὸ ( ) δὲ (now) τέλος (the end) ζωὴν (is life) αἰώνιον (eternal).
23 τὰ (The) γὰρ (for) ὀψώνια (wages) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (of sin) θάνατος (is death); τὸ ( ) δὲ (but) χάρισμα (the gift) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), ζωὴ (life) αἰώνιος (eternal) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS) τῷ (the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us).
Chapter 7
1 Ἢ (Or) ἀγνοεῖτε (are you ignorant), ἀδελφοί (brothers)— γινώσκουσιν (to those knowing) γὰρ (for) νόμον (law) λαλῶ (I speak)— ὅτι (that) ὁ (the) νόμος (law) κυριεύει (rules over) τοῦ (the) ἀνθρώπου (man) ἐφ’ (for) ὅσον (as long as) χρόνον (the time) ζῇ (he is alive)?
2 ἡ (The) γὰρ (for) ὕπανδρος (married) γυνὴ (woman), τῷ (to the) ζῶντι (living) ἀνδρὶ (husband) δέδεται (is bound) νόμῳ (by law); ἐὰν (if) δὲ (however) ἀποθάνῃ (should die) ὁ (the) ἀνήρ (husband), κατήργηται (she is cleared) ἀπὸ (from) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law) τοῦ (of the) ἀνδρός (husband).
3 ἄρα (Then) οὖν (therefore), ζῶντος (being alive) τοῦ (the) ἀνδρὸς (husband), μοιχαλὶς (an adulteress) χρηματίσει (she will be called) ἐὰν (if) γένηται (she is) ἀνδρὶ (to man) ἑτέρῳ (another); ἐὰν (if) δὲ (however) ἀποθάνῃ (should die) ὁ (the) ἀνήρ (husband), ἐλευθέρα (free) ἐστὶν (she is) ἀπὸ (from) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law), τοῦ (so as for) μὴ (not) εἶναι (to be) αὐτὴν (her) μοιχαλίδα (an adulteress), γενομένην (having been) ἀνδρὶ (to man) ἑτέρῳ (another).
4 Ὥστε (Likewise), ἀδελφοί (brothers) μου (of me), καὶ (also) ὑμεῖς (you) ἐθανατώθητε (have been put to death) τῷ (to the) νόμῳ (law) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) σώματος (body) τοῦ ( ) Χῦ (of XS), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) γενέσθαι (to belong) ὑμᾶς (you) ἑτέρῳ (to another), τῷ (to the One) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead) ἐγερθέντι (having been raised), ἵνα (so that) καρποφορήσωμεν (we should bear fruit) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God).
5 ὅτε (While) γὰρ (for) ἦμεν (we were) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) σαρκί (flesh), τὰ (the) παθήματα (passions) τῶν ( ) ἁμαρτιῶν (of sins) τὰ (that were) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law) ἐνηργεῖτο (were at work) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) μέλεσιν (members) ἡμῶν (of us), εἰς (to) τὸ (the) καρποφορῆσαι (bringing forth of fruit) τῷ ( ) θανάτῳ (to death).
6 νυνὶ (Now) δὲ (however) κατηργήθημεν (we have been released) ἀπὸ (from) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law), ἀποθανόντες (having died) ἐν (to) ᾧ (that which) κατειχόμεθα (we were bound), ὥστε (in order for) δουλεύειν (to serve) ἡμᾶς (us) ἐν (in) καινότητι (newness) πνεύματος (of the Spirit), καὶ (and) οὐ (not) παλαιότητι (in oldness) γράμματος (of the letter). God's Law is Holy
7 Τί (What) οὖν (then) ἐροῦμεν (shall we say)? ὁ (Is the) νόμος (law) ἁμαρτία (sin)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! ἀλλὰ (But) τὴν ( ) ἁμαρτίαν (sin) οὐκ (not) ἔγνων (I have known), εἰ (if) μὴ (not) διὰ (by) νόμου (law); τήν ( ) τε (then) γὰρ (for) ἐπιθυμίαν (covetousness), οὐκ (not) ᾔδειν (I had been conscious of), εἰ (if) μὴ (not) ὁ (the) νόμος (law) ἔλεγεν (had said), “Οὐκ (Not) ἐπιθυμήσεις (you shall covet).”a
8 ἀφορμὴν (An occasion) δὲ (however) λαβοῦσα (having taken) ἡ ( ) ἁμαρτία (sin) διὰ (by) τῆς (the) ἐντολῆς (commandment), κατειργάσατο (it produced) ἐν (in) ἐμοὶ (me) πᾶσαν (all) ἐπιθυμίαν (covetousness); χωρὶς (apart from) γὰρ (for) νόμου (the Law), ἁμαρτία (sin) νεκρά (is dead).
9 Ἐγὼ (I) δὲ (however) ἔζων (was alive) χωρὶς (apart from) νόμου (law) ποτέ (once); ἐλθούσης (having come) δὲ (however) τῆς (the) ἐντολῆς (commandment), ἡ (the) ἁμαρτία (sin) ἀνέζησεν (revived); ἐγὼ (I) δὲ (then) ἀπέθανον (died).
10 καὶ (And) εὑρέθη (proved to be) μοι (me) ἡ (the) ἐντολὴ (commandment) ἡ (that was) εἰς (to) ζωὴν (life), αὕτη (this) εἰς (to) θάνατον (death).
11 ἡ (The) γὰρ (for) ἁμαρτία (sin), ἀφορμὴν (an occasion) λαβοῦσα (having taken) διὰ (by) τῆς (the) ἐντολῆς (commandment), ἐξηπάτησέν (deceived) με (me), καὶ (and) δι’ (by) αὐτῆς (it) ἀπέκτεινεν (put me to death).
12 Ὥστε (So) ὁ ( ) μὲν (indeed) νόμος (the law is) ἅγιος (holy), καὶ (and) ἡ (the) ἐντολὴ (commandment is) ἁγία (holy) καὶ (and) δικαία (righteous) καὶ (and) ἀγαθή (good). Struggling with Sin
13 Τὸ (That which) οὖν (then) ἀγαθὸν (is good), ἐμοὶ (to me) ἐγένετο (has become) θάνατος (death)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! ἀλλὰ (But) ἡ ( ) ἁμαρτία (sin), ἵνα (in order that) φανῇ (it might be shown to be) ἁμαρτία (sin), διὰ (through) τοῦ (that which is) ἀγαθοῦ (good) μοι (to me) κατεργαζομένη (is working out) θάνατον (death); ἵνα (so that) γένηται (might become) καθ’ (beyond) ὑπερβολὴν (excess) ἁμαρτωλὸς (sinful), ἡ ( ) ἁμαρτία (sin) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) ἐντολῆς (commandment).
14 Οἴδαμεν (We know) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (that) ὁ (the) νόμος (Law) πνευματικός (spiritual) ἐστιν (is); ἐγὼ (I) δὲ (however) σάρκινός (fleshly) εἰμι (am), πεπραμένος (having been sold) ὑπὸ (under) τὴν ( ) ἁμαρτίαν (sin).
15 ὃ (What) γὰρ (for) κατεργάζομαι (I do), οὐ (not) γινώσκω (I understand); οὐ (not) γὰρ (for) ὃ (what) θέλω (I want), τοῦτο (this) πράσσω (I do); ἀλλ’ (but) ὃ (what) μισῶ (I hate), τοῦτο (this) ποιῶ (I do).
16 εἰ (If) δὲ (now) ὃ (that which) οὐ (not) θέλω (I do want), τοῦτο (this) ποιῶ (I do), σύμφημι (I consent) τῷ (to the) νόμῳ (law), ὅτι (that it is) καλός (good).
17 νυνὶ (In that case) δὲ (now), οὐκέτι (no longer) ἐγὼ (I) κατεργάζομαι (am doing) αὐτὸ (it), ἀλλὰ (but) ἡ (the) οἰκοῦσα* (dwelling) ἐν (in) ἐμοὶ (me) ἁμαρτία (sin).
18 Οἶδα (I know) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (that) οὐκ (nothing) οἰκεῖ (there dwells) ἐν (in) ἐμοί (me), τοῦτ’ (that) ἔστιν (is) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) σαρκί (flesh) μου (of me), ἀγαθόν (good); τὸ ( ) γὰρ (for) θέλειν (to will) παράκειταί (is present with) μοι (me), τὸ ( ) δὲ (but) κατεργάζεσθαι (to do) τὸ (the) καλὸν (good), οὔ (not).
19 οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) ὃ (that) θέλω (I desire) ποιῶ (I do) ἀγαθόν (good), ἀλλὰ (but) ὃ (that) οὐ (not) θέλω (I do want) κακὸν (evil), τοῦτο (this) πράσσω (I practice).
20 εἰ (If) δὲ (now) ὃ (what) οὐ (not) θέλω (I do want), ἐγὼ (I) τοῦτο (this) ποιῶ (do), οὐκέτι (it is no longer) ἐγὼ (I) κατεργάζομαι (who do) αὐτὸ (it), ἀλλὰ (but) ἡ ( ) οἰκοῦσα (dwelling) ἐν (in) ἐμοὶ (me) ἁμαρτία (sin).
21 Εὑρίσκω (I find) ἄρα (so) τὸν (the) νόμον (principle), τῷ (that) θέλοντι (desiring) ἐμοὶ (me) ποιεῖν (to do) τὸ ( ) καλὸν (good), ὅτι (that) ἐμοὶ (me) τὸ ( ) κακὸν (evil) παράκειται (is present with).
22 συνήδομαι (I delight) γὰρ (for) τῷ (in the) νόμῳ (law) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), κατὰ (according to) τὸν (the) ἔσω (inward) ἄνθρωπον (man);
23 βλέπω (I see) δὲ (however) ἕτερον (another) νόμον (law) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) μέλεσίν (members) μου (of me), ἀντιστρατευόμενον (warring against) τῷ (the) νόμῳ (law) τοῦ (of the) νοός (mind) μου (of me), καὶ (and) αἰχμαλωτίζοντά (making captive) με (me) ἐν (to) τῷ (the) νόμῳ (law) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (of sin), τῷ ( ) ὄντι (being) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) μέλεσίν (members) μου (of me).
24 Ταλαίπωρος (O wretched) ἐγὼ (I am) ἄνθρωπος (man)! τίς (Who) με (me) ῥύσεται (will deliver) ἐκ (out of) τοῦ (the) σώματος (body) τοῦ ( ) θανάτου (of death) τούτου (this)?
25 χάρις (Thanks be) [δὲ] (then) τῷ (to) Θεῷ (God), διὰ (through) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS) τοῦ (the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us)! Ἄρα (Then) οὖν (so), αὐτὸς (myself) ἐγὼ (I) τῷ (with the) μὲν (indeed) νοῒ (mind) δουλεύω (serve) νόμῳ (law) Θεοῦ (God’s), τῇ ( ) δὲ (but with) σαρκὶ (the flesh) νόμῳ (the law) ἁμαρτίας (of sin).
Chapter 8
1 Οὐδὲν (There is no) ἄρα (therefore) νῦν (now) κατάκριμα (condemnation) τοῖς (to those) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS).a
2 ὁ ( ) γὰρ (For) νόμος (the law) τοῦ (of the) Πνεύματος (Spirit) τῆς (of) ζωῆς (life) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS) ἠλευθέρωσέν (has set free) σε (you)b ἀπὸ (from) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law) τῆς ( ) ἁμαρτίας (of sin) καὶ (and) τοῦ ( ) θανάτου (of death).
3 τὸ ( ) γὰρ (For) ἀδύνατον (powerless being) τοῦ (the) νόμου (law), ἐν (in) ᾧ (that) ἠσθένει (it was weak) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) σαρκός (flesh), ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God), τὸν ( ) ἑαυτοῦ (of Himself) Υἱὸν (Son) πέμψας (having sent), ἐν (in) ὁμοιώματι (likeness) σαρκὸς (of flesh) ἁμαρτίας (of sin), καὶ (and) περὶ (for) ἁμαρτίας (sin), κατέκρινεν (condemned) τὴν ( ) ἁμαρτίαν (sin) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) σαρκί (flesh),
4 ἵνα (so that) τὸ (the) δικαίωμα (righteousness) τοῦ (of the) νόμου (law) πληρωθῇ (should be fulfilled) ἐν (in) ἡμῖν (us) τοῖς ( ) μὴ (not) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (the flesh) περιπατοῦσιν (walking), ἀλλὰ (but) κατὰ (according to) πνεῦμα (the Spirit).
5 Οἱ (Those) γὰρ (for) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (flesh) ὄντες (being), τὰ (the things) τῆς (of the) σαρκὸς (flesh) φρονοῦσιν (mind); οἱ (those) δὲ (however) κατὰ (according to) πνεῦμα (Spirit), τὰ (the things) τοῦ (of the) πνεύματος (Spirit).
6 τὸ (The) γὰρ (for) φρόνημα (mind) τῆς (of the) σαρκὸς (flesh) θάνατος (is death); τὸ (the) δὲ (but) φρόνημα (mind) τοῦ (of the) πνεύματος (Spirit), ζωὴ (life) καὶ (and) εἰρήνη (peace),
7 διότι (because) τὸ (the) φρόνημα (mind) τῆς (of the) σαρκὸς (flesh) ἔχθρα (is hostility) εἰς (toward) Θεόν (God); τῷ (to) γὰρ (for) νόμῳ (the law) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) οὐχ (not) ὑποτάσσεται (it is subject), οὐδὲ (nor even) γὰρ (for) δύναται (can it be).
8 οἱ (Those) δὲ (now) ἐν (in) σαρκὶ (flesh) ὄντες (being), Θεῷ (God) ἀρέσαι (to please) οὐ (not) δύνανται (are able).
9 Ὑμεῖς (You) δὲ (now) οὐκ (not) ἐστὲ (are) ἐν (in) σαρκὶ (flesh), ἀλλὰ (but) ἐν (in) πνεύματι (Spirit), εἴπερ (if indeed the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) Θεοῦ (of God) οἰκεῖ (dwells) ἐν (in) ὑμῖν (you); εἰ (if) δέ (however) τις (anyone) Πνεῦμα (the Spirit) Χῦ (of XS) οὐκ (not) ἔχει (has), οὗτος (he) οὐκ (not) ἔστιν (is) αὐτοῦ (of Him).
10 εἰ (If) δὲ (however) Χς (XS) ἐν (is in) ὑμῖν (you), τὸ (the) μὲν (indeed) σῶμα (body is) νεκρὸν (dead) διὰ (on account of) ἁμαρτίαν (sin), τὸ (the) δὲ (however) πνεῦμα (Spirit) ζωὴ (is life) διὰ (on account of) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness).
11 εἰ (If) δὲ (now) τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) τοῦ (of the One) ἐγείραντος (having raised up) τὸν ( ) Ἰν (IS) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead) οἰκεῖ (dwells) ἐν (in) ὑμῖν (you), ὁ (the One) ἐγείρας (having raised up) «ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν» (the dead) ⇔ Χν (XS) Ἰν (IS)c ζωοποιήσει (will give life) καὶ (also) τὰ (to the) θνητὰ (mortal) σώματα (bodies) ὑμῶν (of you), διὰ (on account of) τοῦ ( ) ἐνοικοῦντος (dwelling) αὐτοῦ (His) Πνεύματος (Spirit) ἐν (in) ὑμῖν (you). Heirs with XS(Genesis 21:1 8; Galatians 4:1 7)
12 Ἄρα (So) οὖν (then), ἀδελφοί (brothers), ὀφειλέται (debtors) ἐσμέν (we are), οὐ (not) τῇ (to the) σαρκὶ (flesh), τοῦ ( ) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (flesh) ζῆν (to live).
13 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (flesh) ζῆτε (you live), μέλλετε (you are about) ἀποθνήσκειν (to die); εἰ (if) δὲ (however) πνεύματι (by the Spirit) τὰς (the) πράξεις (deeds) τοῦ (of the) σώματος (body) θανατοῦτε (you put to death), ζήσεσθε (you will live).
14 ὅσοι (As many as) γὰρ (for) Πνεύματι (by the Spirit) Θεοῦ (of God) ἄγονται (are led), οὗτοι (these) υἱοί (sons) εἰσιν (are) ⇔ Θεοῦ (of God).
15 Οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) ἐλάβετε (you have received) πνεῦμα (a spirit) δουλείας (of bondage) πάλιν (again) εἰς (to) φόβον (fear), ἀλλὰ (but) ἐλάβετε (you have received) πνεῦμα (the Spirit) υἱοθεσίας (of divine adoption as sons), ἐν (by) ᾧ (whom) κράζομεν (we cry), “Ἀββᾶ (Abba)! ὁ ( ) Πατήρ (Father)!”
16 αὐτὸ (Himself) τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) συμμαρτυρεῖ (bears witness with) τῷ (the) πνεύματι (spirit) ἡμῶν (of us) ὅτι (that) ἐσμὲν (we are) τέκνα (children) Θεοῦ (of God).
17 εἰ (If) δὲ (now) τέκνα (children), καὶ (also) κληρονόμοι (heirs), κληρονόμοι (heirs) μὲν (indeed) Θεοῦ (of God), συνκληρονόμοι (joint heirs) δὲ (now) Χῦ (of XS), εἴπερ (if indeed) συμπάσχομεν (we suffer with Him), ἵνα (so that) καὶ (also) συνδοξασθῶμεν (we may be glorified together). Future Glory(2 Corinthians 5:1 10)
18 Λογίζομαι (I reckon) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (that) οὐκ (not) ἄξια (comparable) τὰ (the) παθήματα (sufferings) τοῦ (of the) νῦν (present) καιροῦ (time are) πρὸς (to) τὴν (the) μέλλουσαν (coming) δόξαν (glory) ἀποκαλυφθῆναι (to be revealed) εἰς (to) ἡμᾶς (us).
19 ἡ (The) γὰρ (for) ἀποκαραδοκία (earnest expectation) τῆς (of the) κτίσεως (creation), τὴν (the) ἀποκάλυψιν (revelation) τῶν (of the) υἱῶν (sons) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) ἀπεκδέχεται (awaits).
20 τῇ (To the) γὰρ (for) ματαιότητι (futility), ἡ (the) κτίσις (creation) ὑπετάγη (was subjected), οὐχ (not) ἑκοῦσα (willingly), ἀλλὰ (but) διὰ (because of) τὸν (the One) ὑποτάξαντα (having subjected it), ἐφ’ (in) ἑλπίδι (hope)
21 ὅτι* (that) καὶ (also) αὐτὴ (itself) ἡ (the) κτίσις (creation) ἐλευθερωθήσεται (will be set free) ἀπὸ (from) τῆς (the) δουλείας (bondage) τῆς ( ) φθορᾶς (of decay), εἰς (into) τὴν (the) ἐλευθερίαν (freedom) τῆς (of the) δόξης (glory) τῶν (of the) τέκνων (children) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God).
22 Οἴδαμεν (We know) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (that) πᾶσα (all) ἡ (the) κτίσις (creation) συστενάζει (groans together) καὶ (and) συνωδίνει (travails together) ἄχρι (until) τοῦ ( ) νῦν (now).
23 οὐ (Not) μόνον (only so) δέ (now), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (even) αὐτοὶ (ourselves), τὴν (the) ἀπαρχὴν (firstfruit) τοῦ (of the) Πνεύματος (Spirit) ἔχοντες (having), ἡμεῖς (we) καὶ (also) αὐτοὶ (ourselves) ἐν (in) ἑαυτοῖς (ourselves) στενάζομεν (groan), υἱοθεσίαν (divine adoption as sons) ἀπεκδεχόμενοι (awaiting), τὴν (the) ἀπολύτρωσιν (redemption) τοῦ (of the) σώματος (body) ἡμῶν (of us).
24 τῇ (In this) γὰρ (for) ἐλπίδι (hope) ἐσώθημεν (we were saved); ἐλπὶς (hope) δὲ (however) βλεπομένη (being seen), οὐκ (not) ἔστιν (is) ἐλπίς (hope); ὃ (what) γὰρ (for) βλέπει (sees) τις (any) τί (one), ἐλπίζει (does he hope for)?
25 εἰ (If) δὲ (however), ὃ (what) οὐ (not) βλέπομεν (we see) ἐλπίζομεν (we hope for), δι’ (in) ὑπομονῆς (patience) ἀπεκδεχόμεθα (we await).
26 Ὡσαύτως (Likewise) δὲ (now) καὶ (also), τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) συναντιλαμβάνεται (joins to help) τῇ (the) ἀσθενείᾳ (weakness) ἡμῶν (of us); τὸ (the) γὰρ (for) τί (things which) προσευξώμεθα (we should pray for) καθὸ (as) δεῖ (it behooves), οὐκ (not) οἴδαμεν (we know), ἀλλὰ (but) αὐτὸ (Himself) τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) ὑπερεντυγχάνει (makes intercession), στεναγμοῖς (with groanings) ἀλαλήτοις (inexpressible).
27 ὁ (The One) δὲ (now) ἐραυνῶν (searching) τὰς ( ) καρδίας (hearts) οἶδεν (knows) τί (what is) τὸ (the) φρόνημα (mindset) τοῦ (of the) Πνεύματος (Spirit), ὅτι (because) κατὰ (according to) Θεὸν (God), ἐντυγχάνει (He intercedes) ὑπὲρ (for) ἁγίων (the saints). God Works In All Things(Ephesians 1:3 14)
28 Οἴδαμεν (We know) δὲ (now) ὅτι (that) τοῖς (to those) ἀγαπῶσιν (loving) τὸν ( ) Θεὸν (God), πάντα (all things) συνεργεῖ (works together) (ὁ ( ) θεὸς) (God) εἰς (for) ἀγαθόν (good), τοῖς (to those) κατὰ (according to) πρόθεσιν (His purpose) κλητοῖς (called) οὖσιν (being).
29 ὅτι (For) οὓς (those whom) προέγνω (He foreknew), καὶ (also) προώρισεν (He predestined to be) συμμόρφους (conformed to) τῆς (the) εἰκόνος (image) τοῦ (of the) Υἱοῦ (Son) αὐτοῦ (of Him), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) εἶναι (to be) αὐτὸν (Him) πρωτότοκον (firstborn) ἐν (among) πολλοῖς (many) ἀδελφοῖς (brothers).
30 οὓς (Those whom) δὲ (then) προώρισεν (He predestined), τούτους (these) καὶ (also) ἐκάλεσεν (He called); καὶ (and) οὓς (whom) ἐκάλεσεν (He called), τούτους (these) καὶ (also) ἐδικαίωσεν (He justified); οὓς (whom) δὲ (then) ἐδικαίωσεν (He justified), τούτους (these) καὶ (also) ἐδόξασεν (He glorified).
31 Τί (What) οὖν (then) ἐροῦμεν (will we say) πρὸς (to) ταῦτα (these things)? εἰ (If) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God is) ὑπὲρ (for) ἡμῶν (us), τίς (who can be) καθ’ (against) ἡμῶν (us)?
32 ὅς (He who) γε (indeed) τοῦ (the) ἰδίου (own) Υἱοῦ (Son) οὐκ (not) ἐφείσατο (spared), ἀλλὰ (but) ὑπὲρ (for) ἡμῶν (us) πάντων (all) παρέδωκεν (gave up) αὐτόν (Him), πῶς (how) οὐχὶ (not) καὶ (also) σὺν (with) αὐτῷ (Him), τὰ (things) πάντα (all) ἡμῖν (us) χαρίσεται (will He grant)?
33 τίς (Who) ἐγκαλέσει (will bring an accusation) κατὰ (against) ἐκλεκτῶν (the elect) Θεοῦ (of God)? Θεὸς (God is) ὁ (the One) δικαιῶν (justifying).
34 τίς (Who is) ὁ (the one) κατακρινῶν (condemning)? Χς (For it is XS) Ἰς (IS), ὁ (the one) ἀποθανών (having died), μᾶλλον (rather) δὲ (now) ἐγερθείς (having been raised up), ὅς (who) ‹καί› (also) ἐστιν (is) ἐν (at the) δεξιᾷ (right hand) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), ὃς (who) καὶ (and) ἐντυγχάνει (is interceding) ὑπὲρ (for) ἡμῶν (us). More than Conquerors(Psalm 44:1 26)
35 Τίς (Who) ἡμᾶς (us) χωρίσει (will separate) ἀπὸ (from) τῆς (the) ἀγάπης (love) τοῦ ( ) Χῦ (of XS)? θλῖψις (Tribulation), ἢ (or) στενοχωρία (distress), ἢ (or) διωγμὸς (persecution), ἢ (or) λιμὸς (famine), ἢ (or) γυμνότης (nakedness), ἢ (or) κίνδυνος (danger), ἢ (or) μάχαιρα (sword)?
36 καθὼς (As) γέγραπται (it has been written) ὅτι ( ): “Ἕνεκεν (For the sake) σοῦ (of you), θανατούμεθα (we face death) ὅλην (all) τὴν (the) ἡμέραν (day); ἐλογίσθημεν (we were regarded) ὡς (as) πρόβατα (sheep) σφαγῆς (of slaughter).”d
37 Ἀλλ’ (But) ἐν (in) τούτοις (these things) πᾶσιν (all), ὑπερνικῶμεν (we more than conquer) διὰ (through) τοῦ (the One) ἀγαπήσαντος (having loved) ἡμᾶς (us).
38 πέπεισμαι (I am persuaded) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (that) οὔτε (neither) θάνατος (death), οὔτε (nor) ζωὴ (life), οὔτε (nor) ἄγγελοι (angels), οὔτε (nor) ἀρχαὶ (principalities), οὔτε (nor) ἐνεστῶτα (things present), οὔτε (nor) μέλλοντα (things to come), οὔτε (nor) δυνάμεις (powers),
39 οὔτε (nor) ὕψωμα (height), οὔτε (nor) βάθος (depth), οὔτε (nor) τις (any) κτίσις (created thing) ἑτέρα (other), δυνήσεται (will be able) ἡμᾶς (us) χωρίσαι (to separate) ἀπὸ (from) τῆς (the) ἀγάπης (love) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) τῆς ( ) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS) τῷ (the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us).

Continued in next post, 60k char limit
mlinssen

Romans Interlinear in script 2/2

Post by mlinssen »

Chapter 9
1 Ἀλήθειαν (The truth) λέγω (I speak) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS). οὐ (Not) ψεύδομαι (I am lying), συμμαρτυρούσης (bearing witness with) μοι (me) τῆς (the) συνειδήσεώς (conscience) μου (of me) ἐν (in the) Πνεύματι (Spirit) Ἁγίῳ (Holy),
2 ὅτι (that) λύπη (grief) μοί (to me) ἐστιν (is) μεγάλη (great), καὶ (and) ἀδιάλειπτος (unceasing) ὀδύνη (sorrow) τῇ (in the) καρδίᾳ (heart) μου (of me).
3 ηὐχόμην (Could wish) γὰρ (for) ἀνάθεμα (a curse) εἶναι (to be) αὐτὸς (myself) ἐγὼ (I), ἀπὸ (separated from) τοῦ ( ) Χῦ (XS) ὑπὲρ (for) τῶν (the) ἀδελφῶν (brothers) μου (of me), τῶν ( ) συγγενῶν (kinsmen) μου (of me), κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (the flesh);
4 οἵτινές (who) εἰσιν (are) Ἰσραηλῖται (Israelites), ὧν (whose is) ἡ (the) υἱοθεσία (divine adoption as sons), καὶ (and) ἡ (the) δόξα (glory), καὶ (and) αἱ (the) διαθῆκαι (covenants), καὶ (and) ἡ (the) νομοθεσία (lawgiving), καὶ (and) ἡ (the) λατρεία (service), καὶ (and) αἱ (the) ἐπαγγελίαι (promises);
5 ὧν (whose are) οἱ (the) πατέρες (patriarchs); καὶ (and) ἐξ (from) ὧν (whom is) ὁ ( ) Χς (XS) τὸ ( ) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (the flesh), ὁ ( ) ὢν (being) ἐπὶ (over) πάντων (all) Θεὸς (God), εὐλογητὸς (blessed) εἰς (to) τοὺς (the) αἰῶνας (ages). ἀμήν (Amen). God's Sovereign Choice(Genesis 25:19 28; Malachi 1:1 5)
6 Οὐχ (It is not) οἷον (as) δὲ (however), ὅτι (that) ἐκπέπτωκεν (has failed) ὁ (the) λόγος (word) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God). οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) πάντες (all) οἱ (who are) ἐξ (of) Ἰσραήλ (Israel), οὗτοι (are these) Ἰσραήλ (Israel).
7 οὐδ’ (Nor) ὅτι (because) εἰσὶν (they are) σπέρμα (seed) Ἀβραάμ (of Abraham) πάντες (are all) τέκνα (children); ἀλλ’ (rather), “Ἐν (In) Ἰσαὰκ (Isaac) κληθήσεταί (will be named) σοι (to you) σπέρμα (offspring)”a
8 τοῦτ’ (That) ἔστιν (is), οὐ (not) τὰ (the) τέκνα (children) τῆς (of the) σαρκὸς (flesh), ταῦτα (these are) τέκνα (children) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God); ἀλλὰ (but) τὰ (the) τέκνα (children) τῆς (of the) ἐπαγγελίας (promise) λογίζεται (are regarded) εἰς (as) σπέρμα (offspring).
9 ἐπαγγελίας (Of the promise) γὰρ (for), ὁ (the) λόγος (word) οὗτος (is this): “Κατὰ (At) τὸν (the) καιρὸν (time) τοῦτον (this), ἐλεύσομαι (I will come), καὶ (and) ἔσται (there will be) τῇ ( ) Σάρρᾳ (to Sarah) υἱός (a son).”b
10 Οὐ (Not) μόνον (only) δέ (then), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) Ῥεβέκκα (Rebecca), ἐξ (by) ἑνὸς (one) κοίτην (conception), ἔχουσα (having) Ἰσαὰκ (Isaac) τοῦ (the) πατρὸς (father) ἡμῶν (of us),
11 μήπω (not yet) γὰρ (for) γεννηθέντων (having been born), μηδὲ (nor) πραξάντων (having done) τι (anything) ἀγαθὸν (good) ἢ (or) φαῦλον (evil), ἵνα (so that) ἡ (the) κατ’ (according to) ἐκλογὴν (election) πρόθεσις (purpose) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) μένῃ (might stand),
12 οὐκ (not) ἐξ (of) ἔργων (works), ἀλλ’ (but) ἐκ (of) τοῦ (the One) καλοῦντος (calling), ἐρρέθη (it was said) αὐτῇ (to her) ὅτι ( ), “Ὁ (The) μείζων (older) δουλεύσει (will serve) τῷ (the) ἐλάσσονι (younger).”c
13 καθὼς* (As) γέγραπται (it has been written) Τὸν ( ): “Ἰακὼβ (Jacob) ἠγάπησα (I loved), τὸν ( ) δὲ (but) Ἠσαῦ (Esau) ἐμίσησα (I hated).”d
14 Τί (What) οὖν (then) ἐροῦμεν (shall we say)? μὴ (Not) ἀδικία (injustice) παρὰ (with) τῷ ( ) θεῷ (God is there)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)!
15 τῷ (To) Μωϋσεῖ (Moses) γὰρ (for) λέγει (He says): “Ἐλεήσω (I will show mercy to) ὃν (whom) ἂν ( ) ἐλεῶ (I may show mercy), καὶ (and) οἰκτιρήσω* (I will have compassion on) ὃν (whom) ἂν ( ) οἰκτίρω* (I may have compassion).”e
16 Ἄρα (So) οὖν (then), οὐ (it is not) τοῦ (of the) θέλοντος (willing), οὐδὲ (nor) τοῦ (of the) τρέχοντος (running), ἀλλὰ (but) τοῦ ( ) ἐλεῶντος (showing mercy) Θεοῦ (of God).
17 λέγει (Says) γὰρ (for) ἡ (the) γραφὴ (Scripture) τῷ (to) Φαραὼ (Pharaoh) ὅτι ( ): “Εἰς (For) αὐτὸ (this very) τοῦτο (therefore) ἐξήγειρά (I have raised up) σε (you), ὅπως (so that) ἐνδείξωμαι (I might show) ἐν (in) σοὶ (you) τὴν (the) δύναμίν (power) μου (of Me), καὶ (and) ὅπως (that) διαγγελῇ (should be declared) τὸ (the) ὄνομά (name) μου (of Me) ἐν (in) πάσῃ (all) τῇ (the) γῇ (earth).”f
18 ἄρα (So) οὖν (then), ὃν (to whom) θέλει (He wants), ἐλεεῖ (He shows mercy); ὃν (whom) δὲ (now) θέλει (He wants), σκληρύνει (He hardens). The Calling of the Gentiles
19 Ἐρεῖς (You will say) μοι (to me) οὖν (then), “Τί (Why) ‹οὖν› (then) ἔτι (still) μέμφεται (does He find fault)? τῷ (The) γὰρ (for) βουλήματι (purpose) αὐτοῦ (of Him), τίς (who) ἀνθέστηκεν (is resisting)?”
20 ὦ (O) ἄνθρωπε (man), μενοῦνγε (but rather), σὺ (you) τίς (who) εἶ (are) ὁ ( ) ἀνταποκρινόμενος (answering against) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (God)? μὴ (Not) ἐρεῖ (will say) τὸ (the) πλάσμα (thing formed) τῷ (to the One) πλάσαντι (having formed it), “Τί (Why) με (me) ἐποίησας (have you made) οὕτως (like this)?”g
21 ἢ (Or) οὐκ (not) ἔχει (has) ἐξουσίαν (authority) ὁ (the) κεραμεὺς (potter) τοῦ (over the) πηλοῦ (clay), ἐκ (out of) τοῦ (the) αὐτοῦ (same) φυράματος (lump) ποιῆσαι (to make) ὃ (one) μὲν (indeed) εἰς (unto) τιμὴν (honor) σκεῦος (vessel), ὃ (one) δὲ (however) εἰς (unto) ἀτιμίαν (dishonor)?
22 Εἰ (What if) δὲ (now) θέλων (desiring) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) ἐνδείξασθαι (to show) τὴν (the) ὀργὴν (wrath) καὶ (and) γνωρίσαι (to make known) τὸ (the) δυνατὸν (power) αὐτοῦ (of Him), ἤνεγκεν (bore) ἐν (with) πολλῇ (much) μακροθυμίᾳ (patience), σκεύη (the vessels) ὀργῆς (of wrath), κατηρτισμένα (having been fitted) εἰς (for) ἀπώλειαν (destruction),
23 καὶ (also) ἵνα (that) γνωρίσῃ (He might make known) τὸν (the) πλοῦτον (riches) τῆς (of the) δόξης (glory) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἐπὶ (upon) σκεύη (the vessels) ἐλέους (of mercy), ἃ (which) προητοίμασεν (He prepared beforehand) εἰς (for) δόξαν (glory),
24 οὓς (whom) καὶ (even) ἐκάλεσεν (He has called), ἡμᾶς (us) οὐ (not) μόνον (only) ἐξ (out from) Ἰουδαίων (the Jews), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) ἐξ (out from) ἐθνῶν (the Gentiles)?
25 ὡς (As) καὶ (also) ἐν (in) τῷ ( ) Ὡσηὲ (Hosea) λέγει (He says): “Καλέσω (I will call) τὸν (that which is) οὐ (not) λαόν (people) μου (of Me), λαόν (people) μου (of Me); καὶ (and) τὴν (her) οὐκ (not) ἠγαπημένην (having been loved), ἠγαπημένην (having been loved),”h
26 Καὶ (and), “Ἔσται (It will happen that) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) τόπῳ (place) οὗ (where) ἐρρέθη (it was said) αὐτοῖς (to them), ‘Οὐ (Not) λαός (people) μου (My are) ὑμεῖς (You),’ ἐκεῖ (there) κληθήσονται (they will be called) ‘Υἱοὶ (sons) Θεοῦ (of God) ζῶντος (the living).’”i
27 Ἠσαΐας (Isaiah) δὲ (also) κράζει (cries out) ὑπὲρ (concerning) τοῦ ( ) Ἰσραήλ (Israel): “Ἐὰν (Though) ᾖ (shall be) ὁ (the) ἀριθμὸς (number) τῶν (of the) υἱῶν (sons) Ἰσραὴλ (of Israel) ὡς (as) ἡ (the) ἄμμος (sand) τῆς (of the) θαλάσσης (sea), τὸ (only the) ὑπόλειμμα (remnant) σωθήσεται (will be saved).
28 λόγον (The sentence) γὰρ (for) συντελῶν (concluding) καὶ (and) συντέμνων (bringing swiftly), ποιήσει (will perform the) Κύριος (Lord) ἐπὶ (upon) τῆς (the) γῆς (earth).”j
29 Καὶ (And), καθὼς (as) προείρηκεν (foretold) Ἠσαΐας (Isaiah): “Εἰ (If) μὴ (not) Κύριος (the Lord) Σαβαὼθ (of Hosts) ἐγκατέλιπεν (had left) ἡμῖν (us) σπέρμα (descendants), ὡς (like) Σόδομα (Sodom) ἂν ( ) ἐγενήθημεν (we would have become), καὶ (and) ὡς (like) Γόμορρα (Gomorrah) ἂν ( ) ὡμοιώθημεν (we would have been made).”k Israel's Unbelief
30 Τί (What) οὖν (then) ἐροῦμεν (will we say)? ὅτι (That) ἔθνη (Gentiles) τὰ ( ) μὴ (not) διώκοντα (pursuing) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness), κατέλαβεν (have attained) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness), δικαιοσύνην (righteousness) δὲ (now) τὴν (that is) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith);
31 Ἰσραὴλ (Israel) δὲ (however), διώκων (pursuing) νόμον (a law) δικαιοσύνης (of righteousness), εἰς (to) νόμον (that law) οὐκ (not) ἔφθασεν (did attain).
32 διὰ (Because of) τί (why)? ὅτι (Because it was) οὐκ (not) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith), ἀλλ’ (but) ὡς (as) ἐξ (by) ἔργων (works). προσέκοψαν (They stumbled) τῷ (over the) λίθῳ (stone) τοῦ ( ) προσκόμματος (of stumbling),
33 καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ἰδοὺ (Behold) τίθημι (I lay) ἐν (in) Σιὼν (Zion) λίθον (a stone) προσκόμματος (of stumbling), καὶ (and) πέτραν (a rock) σκανδάλου (of offense); καὶ (and) ὁ (the one) πιστεύων (believing) ἐπ’ (on) αὐτῷ (Him), οὐ (never) καταισχυνθήσεται (will be put to shame).”l a 7 Genesis 21:12b 9 Genesis 18:10,14c 12 Genesis 25:23d 13 Malachi 1:2,3e 15 Exodus 33:19f 17 Exodus 9:16g
Chapter 10
1 Ἀδελφοί (Brothers), ἡ (the) μὲν (indeed) εὐδοκία (desire) τῆς ( ) ἐμῆς (of my) καρδίας (heart) καὶ (and) ἡ (the) δέησις (supplication) πρὸς (to) τὸν ( ) Θεὸν (God) ὑπὲρ (on behalf of) αὐτῶν (them) εἰς (is for) σωτηρίαν (salvation).
2 μαρτυρῶ (I bear witness) γὰρ (for) αὐτοῖς (about them), ὅτι (that) ζῆλον (zeal) Θεοῦ (for God) ἔχουσιν (they have), ἀλλ’ (but) οὐ (not) κατ’ (according to) ἐπίγνωσιν (knowledge).
3 ἀγνοοῦντες (Being ignorant of) γὰρ (for) τὴν (the) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness), καὶ (and) τὴν (the) ἰδίαν (own) [δικαιοσύνην] (righteousness) ζητοῦντες (seeking) στῆσαι (to establish), τῇ (to the) δικαιοσύνῃ (righteousness) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), οὐχ (not) ὑπετάγησαν (they submitted).
4 τέλος (The end) γὰρ (for) νόμου (of law) Χς (is XS), εἰς (unto) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness) παντὶ (to everyone) τῷ ( ) πιστεύοντι (believing).
5 Μωϋσῆς (Moses) γὰρ (for) γράφει (writes) ὅτι ( ) τὴν (of the) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness) τὴν (that is) ἐκ (of) ‹τοῦ› (the) νόμου (law), [ὅτι] (that) “Ὁ (The) ποιήσας (having done) [αὐτὰ] (these things) ἄνθρωπος (man), ζήσεται (will live) ἐν (by) αὐτῇ (them).”a
6 ἡ (The) δὲ (however) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith) δικαιοσύνη (righteousness), οὕτως (thus) λέγει (speaks): “Μὴ (Not) εἴπῃς (you should say) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) καρδίᾳ (heart) σου (of you), ‘Τίς (Who) ἀναβήσεται (will ascend) εἰς (into) τὸν ( ) οὐρανόν (heaven)?’b τοῦτ’ (that) ἔστιν (is), Χν (XS) καταγαγεῖν (to bring down),
7 ἤ (or), ‘Τίς (Who) καταβήσεται (will descend) εἰς (into) τὴν (the) ἄβυσσον (abyss)?’c τοῦτ’ (that) ἔστιν (is), Χν (XS) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead) ἀναγαγεῖν (to bring up).”
8 Ἀλλὰ (But) τί (what) λέγει (says it)? “Ἐγγύς (Near) σου (you) τὸ (the) ῥῆμά (word) ἐστιν (is), ἐν (in) τῷ (the) στόματί (mouth) σου (of you) καὶ (and) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) καρδίᾳ (heart) σου (of you).”d τοῦτ’ (That) ἔστιν (is), τὸ (the) ῥῆμα (word) τῆς ( ) πίστεως (of faith) ὃ (which) κηρύσσομεν (we proclaim),
9 ὅτι (that) ἐὰν (if) ὁμολογήσῃς (you confess) ἐν (with) τῷ (the) στόματί (mouth) σου (of you), “Κύριον (The Lord is) Ἰν (IS),” καὶ (and) πιστεύσῃς (believe) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) καρδίᾳ (heart) σου (of you), ὅτι (that) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) αὐτὸν (Him) ἤγειρεν (raised) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead), σωθήσῃ (you will be saved).
10 καρδίᾳ (In the heart) γὰρ (for) πιστεύεται (is belief) εἰς (unto) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness); στόματι (in the mouth) δὲ (now) ὁμολογεῖται (is confession) εἰς (unto) σωτηρίαν (salvation).
11 Λέγει (Says) γὰρ (for) ἡ (the) γραφή (Scripture), “Πᾶς (Everyone) ὁ ( ) πιστεύων (believing) ἐπ’ (on) αὐτῷ (Him) οὐ (not) καταισχυνθήσεται (will be put to shame).”e
12 οὐ (Not) γάρ (for) ἐστιν (there is) διαστολὴ (difference) Ἰουδαίου (Jew) τε (between) καὶ (and) Ἕλληνος (Greek); ὁ ( ) γὰρ (for) αὐτὸς (the same) Κύριος (Lord) πάντων (of all) πλουτῶν (is rich) εἰς (toward) πάντας (all) τοὺς (those) ἐπικαλουμένους (calling) αὐτόν (Him).
13 “Πᾶς (Whoever) γὰρ (for) ὃς (that) ἂν ( ) ἐπικαλέσηται (shall call upon) τὸ (the) ὄνομα (name) Κυρίου (of the Lord) σωθήσεται (will be saved).”f
14 Πῶς (How) οὖν (then) ἐπικαλέσωνται (shall they call) εἰς (on Him) ὃν (whom) οὐκ (not) ἐπίστευσαν (they believed)? πῶς (How) δὲ (now) πιστεύσωσιν (shall they believe on Him) οὗ (of whom) οὐκ (not) ἤκουσαν (they have heard)? πῶς (How) δὲ (now) ἀκούσωσιν (shall they hear) χωρὶς (apart from) κηρύσσοντος (preaching)?
15 πῶς (How) δὲ (now) κηρύξωσιν (shall they preach) ἐὰν (if) μὴ (not) ἀποσταλῶσιν (they are sent)? καθὼς* (As) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ὡς (How) ὡραῖοι (beautiful) οἱ (the) πόδες (feet) τῶν (of those)g εὐαγγελιζομένων (proclaiming good news) ‹τὰ› (of) ἀγαθά (good things)!”h
16 Ἀλλ’ (But) οὐ (not) πάντες (all) ὑπήκουσαν (heeded) τῷ (the) εὐαγγελίῳ (good news). Ἠσαΐας (Isaiah) γὰρ (for) λέγει (says), “Κύριε (Lord), τίς (who) ἐπίστευσεν (has believed) τῇ (the) ἀκοῇ (report) ἡμῶν (of us)?”i
17 ἄρα (So) ἡ ( ) πίστις (faith is) ἐξ (from) ἀκοῆς (hearing), ἡ ( ) δὲ (and) ἀκοὴ (hearing) διὰ (through) ῥήματος (the word) Χῦ (of XS).
18 Ἀλλὰ (But) λέγω (I ask), μὴ (no) οὐκ (not) ἤκουσαν (did they hear)? μενοῦνγε (Indeed): “Εἰς (Into) πᾶσαν (all) τὴν (the) γῆν (earth) ἐξῆλθεν (has gone out) ὁ (the) φθόγγος (voice) αὐτῶν (of them); καὶ (and) εἰς (to) τὰ (the) πέρατα (ends) τῆς (of the) οἰκουμένης (world), τὰ (the) ῥήματα (words) αὐτῶν (of them).”j
19 Ἀλλὰ (But) λέγω (I ask), μὴ (not) Ἰσραὴλ (Israel) οὐκ (not) ἔγνω (did know)? πρῶτος (First), Μωϋσῆς (Moses) λέγει (says): “Ἐγὼ (I) παραζηλώσω (will provoke to jealousy) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐπ’ (by those) οὐκ (not) ἔθνει (a nation); ἐπ’ (by) ἔθνει (a nation) ἀσυνέτῳ (without understanding), παροργιῶ (I will anger) ὑμᾶς (you).”k
20 Ἠσαΐας (Isaiah) δὲ (then) ἀποτολμᾷ (is very bold) καὶ (and) λέγει (says): “Εὑρέθην (I was found) ‹ἐν› (by) τοῖς (those) ἐμὲ (Me) μὴ (not) ζητοῦσιν (seeking); ἐμφανὴς (manifest) ἐγενόμην (I became) τοῖς (to those) ἐμὲ (Me) μὴ (not) ἐπερωτῶσιν (inquiring after).”l
21 Πρὸς (As for) δὲ (however), τὸν ( ) Ἰσραὴλ (Israel), λέγει (he says): “Ὅλην (All) τὴν (the) ἡμέραν (day), ἐξεπέτασα (I have stretched out) τὰς (the) χεῖράς (hands) μου (of Me), πρὸς (to) λαὸν (a people) ἀπειθοῦντα (disobeying) καὶ (and) ἀντιλέγοντα (contradicting).”m a 5 Leviticus 18:5b 6 Deuteronomy 30:12c 7 Deuteronomy 30:13d 8 Deuteronomy 30:14e 11 Isaiah 28:16f 13 Joel 2:32g
Chapter 11
1 Λέγω (I ask) οὖν (then), μὴ (not) ἀπώσατο (did reject) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) τὸν (the) λαὸν (people) αὐτοῦ (of Him)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! καὶ (Also) γὰρ (for) ἐγὼ (I) Ἰσραηλίτης (an Israelite) εἰμί (am), ἐκ (of the) σπέρματος (seed) Ἀβραάμ (of Abraham), φυλῆς (of the tribe) Βενιαμίν (of Benjamin).
2 οὐκ (Not) ἀπώσατο (did reject) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) τὸν (the) λαὸν (people) αὐτοῦ (of Him), ὃν (whom) προέγνω (He foreknew). ἢ (Or) οὐκ (not) οἴδατε (know you) ἐν (in) Ἠλίᾳ (Elijah) τί (what) λέγει (says) ἡ (the) γραφή (Scripture), ὡς (how) ἐντυγχάνει (he pleads) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (with God) κατὰ (against) τοῦ ( ) Ἰσραήλ (Israel):
3 “Κύριε (Lord), τοὺς (the) προφήτας (prophets) σου (of You) ἀπέκτειναν (they have killed); τὰ (the) θυσιαστήριά (altars) σου (of You) κατέσκαψαν (they have torn down); κἀγὼ (and I) ὑπελείφθην (have been left) μόνος (alone), καὶ (and) ζητοῦσιν (they are seeking) τὴν (the) ψυχήν (life) μου (of me).”a?
4 Ἀλλὰ (But) τί (what was) λέγει (spoken) αὐτῷ (to him) ὁ (the) χρηματισμός (divine answer)? “Κατέλιπον (I have left) ἐμαυτῷ (to Myself) ἑπτακισχιλίους (seven thousand) ἄνδρας (men) οἵτινες (who) οὐκ (not) ἔκαμψαν (have bowed) γόνυ (the knee) τῇ ( ) Βάαλ (to Baal).”b
5 Οὕτως (Thus) οὖν (then) καὶ (also), ἐν (in) τῷ (the) νῦν (present) καιρῷ (time), λεῖμμα* (a remnant) κατ’ (according to) ἐκλογὴν (the election) χάριτος (of grace) γέγονεν (there has been).
6 εἰ (If) δὲ (now) χάριτι (by grace), οὐκέτι (no longer) ἐξ (from) ἔργων (works); ἐπεὶ (otherwise) ἡ ( ) χάρις (grace) οὐκέτι (no longer) γίνεται (would be) χάρις (grace).c
7 Τί (What) οὖν (then)? ὃ (What) ἐπιζητεῖ (is seeking) Ἰσραήλ (Israel), τοῦτο (this) οὐκ (not) ἐπέτυχεν (it has obtained); ἡ ( ) δὲ (but) ἐκλογὴ (the elect) ἐπέτυχεν (obtained it). οἱ (The) δὲ (now) λοιποὶ (rest) ἐπωρώθησαν (were hardened),
8 καθὼς* (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ἔδωκεν (Gave) αὐτοῖς (them) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) πνεῦμα (a spirit) κατανύξεως (of stupor), ὀφθαλμοὺς (eyes) τοῦ ( ) μὴ (not) βλέπειν (to see), καὶ (and) ὦτα (ears) τοῦ ( ) μὴ (not) ἀκούειν (to hear), ἕως (unto) τῆς (the) σήμερον (today) ἡμέρας (day).”d
9 Καὶ (And) Δαυὶδ (David) λέγει (says): “Γενηθήτω (Let be) ἡ (the) τράπεζα (table) αὐτῶν (of them) εἰς (for) παγίδα (a snare) καὶ (and) εἰς (for) θήραν (a trap), καὶ (and) εἰς (for) σκάνδαλον (a stumbling block) καὶ (and) εἰς (for) ἀνταπόδομα (a retribution) αὐτοῖς (to them);
10 σκοτισθήτωσαν (let be darkened) οἱ (the) ὀφθαλμοὶ (eyes) αὐτῶν (of them), τοῦ ( ) μὴ (not) βλέπειν (to see), καὶ (and) τὸν (the) νῶτον (backs) αὐτῶν (of them), διὰ (for) παντὸς (ever) σύνκαμψον (bent over).”e The Ingrafting of the Gentiles
11 Λέγω (I ask) οὖν (then), μὴ (not) ἔπταισαν (did they stumble) ἵνα (that) πέσωσιν (they might fall)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! ἀλλὰ (But) τῷ (in the) αὐτῶν (of them) παραπτώματι (trespass) ἡ ( ) σωτηρία (is salvation) τοῖς (to the) ἔθνεσιν (Gentiles), εἰς (so as) τὸ ( ) παραζηλῶσαι (to provoke to jealousy) αὐτούς (them).
12 εἰ (If) δὲ (however), τὸ (the) παράπτωμα (trespass) αὐτῶν (of them) πλοῦτος (is riches) κόσμου (of the world), καὶ (and) τὸ (the) ἥττημα (failure) αὐτῶν (of them) πλοῦτος (is the riches) ἐθνῶν (of the Gentiles), πόσῳ (how much) μᾶλλον (more) τὸ (the) πλήρωμα (fullness) αὐτῶν (of them)!
13 Ὑμῖν (To you) δὲ (now) λέγω (I am speaking), τοῖς (the) ἔθνεσιν (Gentiles). ἐφ’ (Upon) ὅσον (as much as) μὲν (indeed) οὖν (therefore) εἰμι (am) ἐγὼ (I) ἐθνῶν (of the Gentiles) ἀπόστολος (apostle), τὴν (the) διακονίαν (ministry) μου (of me) δοξάζω (I magnify),
14 εἴ (if) πως (at all) παραζηλώσω (I shall provoke to jealousy) μου (of me) τὴν (the) σάρκα (flesh), καὶ (and) σώσω (shall save) τινὰς (some) ἐξ (of) αὐτῶν (them).
15 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) ἡ (the) ἀποβολὴ (rejection) αὐτῶν (of them) καταλλαγὴ (is the reconciliation) κόσμου (of the world), τίς (what will be) ἡ (the) πρόσλημψις (acceptance), εἰ (if) μὴ (not) ζωὴ (life) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead)?
16 εἰ (If) δὲ (now) ἡ (the) ἀπαρχὴ (firstfruit) ἁγία (is holy), καὶ (also) τὸ (the) φύραμα (lump); καὶ (and) εἰ (if) ἡ (the) ῥίζα (root) ἁγία (is holy), καὶ (also) οἱ (the) κλάδοι (branches).
17 Εἰ (If) δέ (however) τινες (some) τῶν (of the) κλάδων (branches) ἐξεκλάσθησαν (were broken off), σὺ (you) δὲ (now), ἀγριέλαιος (a wild olive tree) ὢν (being), ἐνεκεντρίσθης (were grafted in) ἐν (among) αὐτοῖς (them), καὶ (and) συνκοινωνὸς (a fellow partaker) τῆς (of the) ῥίζης (root) τῆς (of the) πιότητος (fatness) τῆς (of the) ἐλαίας (olive tree) ἐγένου (have become),
18 μὴ (not) κατακαυχῶ (boast over) τῶν (the) κλάδων (branches). εἰ (If) δὲ (now) κατακαυχᾶσαι (you boast against them), οὐ (not) σὺ (you) τὴν (the) ῥίζαν (root) βαστάζεις (support), ἀλλὰ (but) ἡ (the) ῥίζα (root) σέ (you).
19 Ἐρεῖς (You will say) οὖν (then), “Ἐξεκλάσθησαν (Were broken off) κλάδοι (branches), ἵνα (that) ἐγὼ (I) ἐγκεντρισθῶ (might be grafted in).”
20 καλῶς (Rightly so); τῇ (by the) ἀπιστίᾳ (unbelief) ἐξεκλάσθησαν (they were broken off); σὺ (you) δὲ (however) τῇ ( ) πίστει (by faith) ἕστηκας (stand). μὴ (Not) ὑψηλὰ (high) φρόνει (be minded), ἀλλὰ (but) φοβοῦ (be afraid).
21 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) τῶν (the) κατὰ (according to) φύσιν (nature) κλάδων (branches) οὐκ (not) ἐφείσατο (spared), [μή (not) πως] (at all) οὐδὲ (neither) σοῦ (you) φείσεται (will He spare).
22 ἴδε (Behold) οὖν (therefore) χρηστότητα (the kindness) καὶ (and) ἀποτομίαν (severity) Θεοῦ (of God); ἐπὶ (upon) μὲν (indeed) τοὺς (those) πεσόντας (having fallen), ἀποτομία (severity); ἐπὶ (toward) δὲ (however) σὲ (you), χρηστότης (kindness) Θεοῦ (of God), ἐὰν (if) ἐπιμένῃς (you continue in) τῇ (the) χρηστότητι (kindness); ἐπεὶ (otherwise) καὶ (also) σὺ (you) ἐκκοπήσῃ (will be cut off).
23 κἀκεῖνοι (Even they) δέ (now) ἐὰν (if) μὴ (not) ἐπιμένωσιν (they continue) τῇ ( ) ἀπιστίᾳ (in unbelief), ἐνκεντρισθήσονται (will be grafted in); δυνατὸς (able) γάρ (for) ἐστιν (is) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) πάλιν (again) ἐνκεντρίσαι (to graft in) αὐτούς (them).
24 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) σὺ (you), ἐκ (out of) τῆς (the) κατὰ (according to) φύσιν (nature) ἐξεκόπης (were cut off) ἀγριελαίου (a wild olive tree), καὶ (and), παρὰ (contrary to) φύσιν (nature), ἐνεκεντρίσθης (were grafted) εἰς (into) καλλιέλαιον (a cultivated olive tree), πόσῳ (how much) μᾶλλον (more) οὗτοι (these), οἱ (who) κατὰ (according to) φύσιν (nature are), ἐνκεντρισθήσονται (will be grafted into) τῇ (the) ἰδίᾳ (own) ἐλαίᾳ (olive tree)! All Israel Shall Be Saved
25 Οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) θέλω (I want) ὑμᾶς (you) ἀγνοεῖν (to be ignorant), ἀδελφοί (brothers), τὸ (of the) μυστήριον (mystery) τοῦτο (this), ἵνα (that) μὴ (not) ἦτε (you may be) ἐν (in) ἑαυτοῖς (yourselves) φρόνιμοι (wise), ὅτι (that) πώρωσις (a hardening) ἀπὸ (in) μέρους (part) τῷ ( ) Ἰσραὴλ (to Israel) γέγονεν (has happened), ἄχρι (until) οὗ (that) τὸ (the) πλήρωμα (fullness) τῶν (of the) ἐθνῶν (Gentiles) εἰσέλθῃ (may come in);
26 καὶ (and) οὕτως (so) πᾶς (all) Ἰσραὴλ (Israel) σωθήσεται (will be saved), καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ἥξει (Will come) ἐκ (out of) Σιὼν (Zion) ὁ (the One) Ῥυόμενος (Delivering), ἀποστρέψει (He will remove) ἀσεβείας (ungodliness) ἀπὸ (from) Ἰακώβ (Jacob).
27 καὶ (And) αὕτη (this is) αὐτοῖς (to them) ἡ (the) παρ’ (from) ἐμοῦ (Me) διαθήκη (covenant), ὅταν (when) ἀφέλωμαι (I shall take away) τὰς (the) ἁμαρτίας (sins) αὐτῶν (of them).”f
28 Κατὰ (As regards) μὲν (indeed) τὸ (the) εὐαγγέλιον (gospel), ἐχθροὶ (they are enemies) δι’ (on account of) ὑμᾶς (you); κατὰ (As regards) δὲ (however) τὴν (the) ἐκλογὴν (election), ἀγαπητοὶ (beloved) διὰ (on account of) τοὺς (the) πατέρας (patriarchs).
29 ἀμεταμέλητα (Irrevocable) γὰρ (for) τὰ (are the) χαρίσματα (gifts) καὶ (and) ἡ (the) κλῆσις (calling) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God).
30 Ὥσπερ (Just as) γὰρ (for) ὑμεῖς (you) ποτε (once) ἠπειθήσατε (were disobedient) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God), νῦν (now) δὲ (however) ἠλεήθητε (have been shown mercy) τῇ (the) τούτων (of these) ἀπειθείᾳ (disobedience),
31 οὕτως (so) καὶ (also) οὗτοι (these) νῦν (now) ἠπείθησαν (have been disobedient), τῷ (the) ὑμετέρῳ (for your) ἐλέει (mercy), ἵνα (so that) καὶ (also) αὐτοὶ (they) νῦν (now) ἐλεηθῶσιν (may have mercy shown them).
32 συνέκλεισεν (Has bound up) γὰρ (for) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) τοὺς ( ) πάντας (all) εἰς (in) ἀπείθειαν (disobedience), ἵνα (that) τοὺς ( ) πάντας (all) ἐλεήσῃ (He may show mercy to). A Hymn of Praise(Romans 16:25 27; Jude 1:24 25)
33 Ὦ (O), βάθος (the depth) πλούτου (of riches), καὶ (both) σοφίας (of wisdom) καὶ (and) γνώσεως (knowledge) Θεοῦ (of God)! ὡς (How) ἀνεξεραύνητα (unsearchable) τὰ (the) κρίματα (judgments) αὐτοῦ (of Him), καὶ (and) ἀνεξιχνίαστοι (untraceable) αἱ (the) ὁδοὶ (ways) αὐτοῦ (of Him)!
34 “Τίς (Who) γὰρ (for) ἔγνω (has known) νοῦν (the mind) Κυρίου (of the Lord), ἢ (or) τίς (who) σύμβουλος (counselor) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἐγένετο (has been)?”g
35 “Ἢ (Or) τίς (who) προέδωκεν (has first given) αὐτῷ (to Him), καὶ (and) ἀνταποδοθήσεται (it will be recompensed) αὐτῷ (to him)?”h
36 ὅτι (For) ἐξ (from) αὐτοῦ (Him), καὶ (and) δι’ (through) αὐτοῦ (Him), καὶ (and) εἰς (unto) αὐτὸν (Him) τὰ ( ) πάντα (are all things). αὐτῷ (To Him be) ἡ (the) δόξα (glory) εἰς (to) τοὺς (the) αἰῶνας (ages)! ἀμήν (Amen).
Chapter 12
1 Παρακαλῶ (I exhort) οὖν (therefore) ὑμᾶς (you), ἀδελφοί (brothers), διὰ (through) τῶν (the) οἰκτιρμῶν (compassions) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), παραστῆσαι (to present) τὰ (the) σώματα (bodies) ὑμῶν (of you) θυσίαν (a sacrifice) ζῶσαν (living), ἁγίαν (holy), «τῷ ( ) Θεῷ» (to God) ⇔ εὐάρεστον (well pleasing), τὴν (which is) λογικὴν (the reasonable) λατρείαν (service) ὑμῶν (of you).
2 καὶ (And) μὴ (not) συσχηματίζεσθε (be conformed) τῷ (to the) αἰῶνι (age) τούτῳ (this), ἀλλὰ (but) μεταμορφοῦσθε (be transformed) τῇ (by the) ἀνακαινώσει (renewing) τοῦ (of the) νοός (mind), εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) δοκιμάζειν (to prove) ὑμᾶς (by you), τί (what is) τὸ (the) θέλημα (will) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), τὸ ( ) ἀγαθὸν (good) καὶ (and) εὐάρεστον (well pleasing) καὶ (and) τέλειον (perfect).
3 Λέγω (I say) γὰρ (for) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) χάριτος (grace) τῆς ( ) δοθείσης (having been given) μοι (to me) παντὶ (to everyone) τῷ ( ) ὄντι (being) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you), μὴ (not) ὑπερφρονεῖν (to be high minded) παρ’ (above) ὃ (what) δεῖ (it behooves you) φρονεῖν (to think), ἀλλὰ (but) φρονεῖν (to think) εἰς (so as) τὸ ( ) σωφρονεῖν (to be sober minded), ἑκάστῳ (to each) ὡς (as) ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) ἐμέρισεν (has allotted) μέτρον (a measure) πίστεως (of faith).
4 καθάπερ (Just as) γὰρ (for), ἐν (in) ἑνὶ (one) σώματι (body) πολλὰ (many) μέλη (members) ἔχομεν (we have), τὰ ( ) δὲ (now) μέλη (the members) πάντα (all) οὐ (not) τὴν (the) αὐτὴν (same) ἔχει (have) πρᾶξιν (function);
5 οὕτως (so) οἱ (the) πολλοὶ (many), ἓν (one) σῶμά (body) ἐσμεν (we are) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS); τὸ ( ) δὲ (and) καθ’ (individually) εἷς (one) ἀλλήλων (of another) μέλη (members).
6 Ἔχοντες (We are having) δὲ (however) χαρίσματα (gifts) κατὰ (according to) τὴν (the) χάριν (grace) τὴν ( ) δοθεῖσαν (having been given) ἡμῖν (to us) διάφορα (different): εἴτε (if) προφητείαν (prophecy), κατὰ (according to) τὴν (the) ἀναλογίαν (proportion) τῆς (of the) πίστεως (faith);
7 εἴτε (or) διακονίαν (service), ἐν (in) τῇ (the) διακονίᾳ (service); εἴτε (or) ὁ ( ) διδάσκων (teaching), ἐν (in) τῇ (the) διδασκαλίᾳ (teaching);
8 εἴτε (or) ὁ ( ) παρακαλῶν (exhorting), ἐν (in) τῇ (the) παρακλήσει (exhortation); ὁ ( ) μεταδιδοὺς (giving), ἐν (in) ἁπλότητι (generosity); ὁ ( ) προϊστάμενος (leading), ἐν (with) σπουδῇ (diligence); ὁ ( ) ἐλεῶν (showing mercy), ἐν (with) ἱλαρότητι (cheerfulness). Love, Zeal, Hope, Hospitality(John 13:31 35; 1 John 3:11 24)
9 Ἡ (Let) ἀγάπη (love be) ἀνυπόκριτος (unfeigned): ἀποστυγοῦντες (abhorring) τὸ ( ) πονηρόν (evil), κολλώμενοι (cleaving to) τῷ ( ) ἀγαθῷ (good),
10 τῇ ( ) φιλαδελφίᾳ (in brotherly love) εἰς (to) ἀλλήλους (one another) φιλόστοργοι (devoted) τῇ ( ) τιμῇ (in honor), ἀλλήλους (one another) προηγούμενοι (esteeming),
11 τῇ ( ) σπουδῇ (in diligence) μὴ (not) ὀκνηροί (lagging), τῷ ( ) πνεύματι (in spirit) ζέοντες (being fervent), τῷ (the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) δουλεύοντες (serving),
12 τῇ ( ) ἐλπίδι (in hope) χαίροντες (rejoicing), τῇ ( ) θλίψει (in tribulation) ὑπομένοντες (being patient), τῇ ( ) προσευχῇ (in prayer) προσκαρτεροῦντες (being constant),
13 ταῖς (to the) χρείαις (needs) τῶν (of the) ἁγίων (saints) κοινωνοῦντες (contributing), τὴν ( ) φιλοξενίαν (hospitality) διώκοντες (pursuing). Forgiveness(Matthew 18:21 35)
14 Εὐλογεῖτε (Bless) τοὺς (those) διώκοντας (persecuting) [ὑμᾶς] (you). εὐλογεῖτε (Bless) καὶ (and) μὴ (not) καταρᾶσθε (curse);
15 χαίρειν (to rejoice) μετὰ (with the) χαιρόντων (rejoicing), κλαίειν (to weep) μετὰ (with the) κλαιόντων (weeping);
16 τὸ (the) αὐτὸ (same thing) εἰς (toward) ἀλλήλους (one another) φρονοῦντες (minding), μὴ (not) τὰ (the things) ὑψηλὰ (haughty) φρονοῦντες (minding), ἀλλὰ (but) τοῖς (with the) ταπεινοῖς (lowly) συναπαγόμενοι (going along). μὴ (Not) γίνεσθε (be) φρόνιμοι (wise) παρ’ (in) ἑαυτοῖς (yourselves).
17 μηδενὶ (To no one) κακὸν (evil) ἀντὶ (for) κακοῦ (evil) ἀποδιδόντες (repaying), προνοούμενοι (providing) καλὰ (right) ἐνώπιον (before) πάντων (all) ἀνθρώπων (men);
18 εἰ (if) δυνατόν (possible) τὸ ( ) ἐξ (of) ὑμῶν (you), μετὰ (with) πάντων (all) ἀνθρώπων (men) εἰρηνεύοντες (living at peace);
19 μὴ (never) ἑαυτοὺς (yourselves) ἐκδικοῦντες (avenging), ἀγαπητοί (beloved); ἀλλὰ (instead) δότε (give) τόπον (place) τῇ ( ) ὀργῇ (to wrath); γέγραπται (it has been written) γάρ (for): “Ἐμοὶ (Mine is) ἐκδίκησις (vengeance), ἐγὼ (I) ἀνταποδώσω (will repay), λέγει (says the) Κύριος (Lord).”a
20 Ἀλλὰ (On the contrary), “Ἐὰν (If) πεινᾷ (should hunger) ὁ (the) ἐχθρός (enemy) σου (of you), ψώμιζε (feed) αὐτόν (him); ἐὰν (if) διψᾷ (he should thirst), πότιζε (give drink) αὐτόν (him); τοῦτο (this) γὰρ (for) ποιῶν (doing), ἄνθρακας (coals) πυρὸς (of fire) σωρεύσεις (you will heap) ἐπὶ (upon) τὴν (the) κεφαλὴν (head) αὐτοῦ (of him).”b
21 Μὴ (Not) νικῶ (be overcome) ὑπὸ (by) τοῦ ( ) κακοῦ (evil), ἀλλὰ (but) νίκα (overcome) ἐν (with) τῷ ( ) ἀγαθῷ (good) τὸ ( ) κακόν (evil).
Chapter 13
1 Πᾶσα (Every) ψυχὴ (soul) ἐξουσίαις (to the authorities) ὑπερεχούσαις (being above him) ὑποτασσέσθω (let be subject). οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) ἔστιν (there is) ἐξουσία (authority), εἰ (if) μὴ (not) ὑπὸ (by) Θεοῦ (God); αἱ (those) δὲ (however) οὖσαι (existing), ὑπὸ (by) Θεοῦ (God) τεταγμέναι (having been instituted) εἰσίν (are).
2 ὥστε (Therefore) ὁ (the one) ἀντιτασσόμενος (resisting) τῇ (the) ἐξουσίᾳ (authority), τῇ (the) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) διαταγῇ (ordinance) ἀνθέστηκεν (has resisted); οἱ (those) δὲ (now) ἀνθεστηκότες (having resisted) ἑαυτοῖς (upon themselves) κρίμα (judgment) λήμψονται (will bring).
3 οἱ (The) γὰρ (for) ἄρχοντες (rulers) οὐκ (not) εἰσὶν (are) φόβος (a terror) τῷ ( ) ἀγαθῷ (to good) ἔργῳ (works), ἀλλὰ (but) τῷ ( ) κακῷ (to evil). θέλεις (Do you desire) δὲ (now) μὴ (not) φοβεῖσθαι (to fear) τὴν (the) ἐξουσίαν (authority)? τὸ (The) ἀγαθὸν (good) ποίει (do), καὶ (and) ἕξεις (you will have) ἔπαινον (praise) ἐξ (from) αὐτῆς (him).
4 Θεοῦ (Of God) γὰρ (for) διάκονός (servant) ἐστιν (he is) σοὶ (to you) εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) ἀγαθόν (good). ἐὰν (If) δὲ (however) τὸ ( ) κακὸν (evil) ποιῇς (you do), φοβοῦ (be afraid), οὐ (not) γὰρ (for) εἰκῇ (in vain) τὴν (the) μάχαιραν (sword) φορεῖ (he bears); Θεοῦ (of God) γὰρ (for) διάκονός (a servant) ἐστιν (He is), ἔκδικος (an avenger) εἰς (for) ὀργὴν (wrath) τῷ (to the one) τὸ ( ) κακὸν (evil) πράσσοντι (doing).
5 Διὸ (Therefore) ἀνάγκη (necessary it is) ὑποτάσσεσθαι (to be subject), οὐ (not) μόνον (only) διὰ (on account of) τὴν (the) ὀργὴν (wrath), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) διὰ (on account of) τὴν (the) συνείδησιν (conscience).
6 διὰ (Because of) τοῦτο (this) γὰρ (for), καὶ (also) φόρους (taxes) τελεῖτε (pay you); λειτουργοὶ (servants) γὰρ (for) Θεοῦ (of God) εἰσιν (they are), εἰς (upon) αὐτὸ (this very) τοῦτο (thing) προσκαρτεροῦντες (attending continually).
7 ἀπόδοτε (Render) πᾶσιν (to all) τὰς (their) ὀφειλάς (dues), τῷ (to whom) τὸν (the) φόρον (tax), τὸν (the) φόρον (tax); τῷ (to whom) τὸ (the) τέλος (revenue), τὸ (the) τέλος (revenue); τῷ (to whom) τὸν (the) φόβον (respect), τὸν (the) φόβον (respect); τῷ (to whom) τὴν (the) τιμὴν (honor), τὴν (the) τιμήν (honor). Love Fulfills the Law(Leviticus 19:9 18)
8 Μηδενὶ (To no one) μηδὲν (nothing) ὀφείλετε (owe), εἰ (if) μὴ (not) τὸ ( ) ἀλλήλους (one another) ἀγαπᾶν (to love); ὁ (the one) γὰρ (for) ἀγαπῶν (loving) τὸν (the) ἕτερον (other), νόμον (the Law) πεπλήρωκεν (has fulfilled).
9 τὸ ( ) γάρ (For), “Οὐ (Not) μοιχεύσεις (you shall commit adultery),” “Οὐ (Not) φονεύσεις (you shall murder),” “Οὐ (Not) κλέψεις (you shall steal),” “Οὐκ (Not) ἐπιθυμήσεις (you shall covet),”a καὶ (and) εἴ (if) τις (any) ἑτέρα (other) ἐντολή (commandment), ἐν (in) τῷ (the) λόγῳ (word) τούτῳ (this) ἀνακεφαλαιοῦται (it is summed up), ἐν (in) τῷ (the saying): “Ἀγαπήσεις (You shall love) τὸν (the) πλησίον (neighbor) σου (of you) ὡς (as) σεαυτόν (yourself).”b
10 ἡ ( ) ἀγάπη (Love) τῷ (to the) πλησίον (neighbor) κακὸν (evil) οὐκ (not) ἐργάζεται (does do); πλήρωμα (the fulfillment) οὖν (therefore) νόμου (of the law) ἡ ( ) ἀγάπη (love is). Put On XS
11 Καὶ (And) τοῦτο (this), εἰδότες (knowing) τὸν (the) καιρόν (time), ὅτι (that it is the) ὥρα (hour) ἤδη (already) ὑμᾶς (for you) ἐξ (out of) ὕπνου (sleep) ἐγερθῆναι (to awaken); νῦν (now) γὰρ (for) ἐγγύτερον (nearer) ἡμῶν (is of us) ἡ (the) σωτηρία (salvation) ἢ (than) ὅτε (when first) ἐπιστεύσαμεν (we believed).
12 ἡ (The) νὺξ (night) προέκοψεν (is nearly over), ἡ ( ) δὲ (and) ἡμέρα (the day) ἤγγικεν (has drawn near). ἀποθώμεθα (We should cast off) οὖν (therefore) τu1F70 (the) ἔργα (works) τοῦ ( ) σκότους (of darkness); ἐνδυσώμεθα (we should put on) δὲ (now) τὰ (the) ὅπλα (armor) τοῦ ( ) φωτός (of light).
13 ὡς (As) ἐν (in) ἡμέρᾳ (daytime), εὐσχημόνως (properly) περιπατήσωμεν (we should walk), μὴ (not) κώμοις (in reveling) καὶ (and) μέθαις (drinking), μὴ (not) κοίταις (in sexual immorality) καὶ (and) ἀσελγείαις (sensuality), μὴ (not) ἔριδι (in dissension) καὶ (and) ζήλῳ (jealousy).
14 ἀλλὰ (But) ἐνδύσασθε (put on) τὸν (the) Κύριον (Lord) Ἰν (IS) Χν (XS), καὶ (and) τῆς (of the) σαρκὸς (flesh) πρόνοιαν (provision) μὴ (not) ποιεῖσθε (make) εἰς (for) ἐπιθυμίας (desires).
Chapter 14
1 Τὸν (The one) δὲ (now) ἀσθενοῦντα (being weak) τῇ (in the) πίστει (faith), προσλαμβάνεσθε (receive), μὴ (not) εἰς (for) διακρίσεις (passing judgment) διαλογισμῶν (on reasonings).
2 ὃς (One) μὲν (indeed) πιστεύει (believes) φαγεῖν (to eat) πάντα (all things); ὁ (the one) δὲ (however) ἀσθενῶν (being weak), λάχανα (vegetables) ἐσθίει (eats).
3 ὁ (The one) ἐσθίων (eating), τὸν (the one) μὴ (not) ἐσθίοντα (eating) μὴ (not) ἐξουθενείτω (let him despise); ὁ (the one) δὲ (now) μὴ (not) ἐσθίων (eating), τὸν (him) ἐσθίοντα (eating) μὴ (not) κρινέτω (let him judge), ὁ ( ) Θεὸς (God) γὰρ (for) αὐτὸν (him) προσελάβετο (has received).
4 σὺ (You) τίς (who) εἶ (are), ὁ ( ) κρίνων (judging) ἀλλότριον (another’s) οἰκέτην (servant)? τῷ (To the) ἰδίῳ (own) κυρίῳ (master) στήκει (he stands) ἢ (or) πίπτει (falls). σταθήσεται (He will be upheld) δέ (however); δυνατεῖ (able is) γὰρ (for) ὁ (the) Κύριος (Lord) στῆσαι (to uphold) αὐτόν (him).
5 Ὃς (One) μὲν (truly) γὰρ (for) κρίνει (judges) ἡμέραν (a day) παρ’ (to be above) ἡμέραν (another day); ὃς (one) δὲ (however) κρίνει (judges) πᾶσαν (every) ἡμέραν (day alike). ἕκαστος (Each) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) ἰδίῳ (own) νοῒ (mind), πληροφορείσθω (let be fully assured).
6 ὁ (The one) φρονῶν (regarding) τὴν (the) ἡμέραν (day), Κυρίῳ (to the Lord) φρονεῖ (regards it);a ὁ (the one) ἐσθίων (eating), Κυρίῳ (to the Lord) ἐσθίει (eats), εὐχαριστεῖ (he gives thanks) γὰρ (for) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God); καὶ (and) ὁ (the one) μὴ (not) ἐσθίων (eating), Κυρίῳ (to the Lord) οὐκ (not) ἐσθίει (he eats), καὶ (and) εὐχαριστεῖ (he gives thanks) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God).
7 Οὐδεὶς (No one) γὰρ (for) ἡμῶν (of us) ἑαυτῷ (to himself) ζῇ (lives), καὶ (and) οὐδεὶς (no one) ἑαυτῷ (to himself) ἀποθνῄσκει (dies).
8 ἐάν (If) τε (both) γὰρ (for) ζῶμεν (we should live), τῷ (to the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) ζῶμεν (we live); ἐάν (if) τε (also) ἀποθνήσκωμεν (we should die), τῷ (to the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) ἀποθνήσκομεν (we die). ἐάν (If) τε (both) οὖν (therefore) ζῶμεν (we should live), ἐάν (if) τε (also) ἀποθνήσκωμεν (we should die), τοῦ (the) Κυρίου (Lord’s) ἐσμέν (we are).
9 εἰς (Unto) τοῦτο (this) γὰρ (for), Χς (XS) ἀπέθανεν (died) καὶ (and) ἔζησεν (lived again), ἵνα (that) καὶ (both the) νεκρῶν (dead) καὶ (and) ζώντων (living) κυριεύσῃ (He might rule over).
10 Σὺ (You) δὲ (however), τί (why) κρίνεις (judge you) τὸν (the) ἀδελφόν (brother) σου (or you), ἢ (or) καὶ (also) σὺ (you) τί (why) ἐξουθενεῖς (do despise) τὸν (the) ἀδελφόν (brother) σου (of you)? πάντες (All) γὰρ (for) παραστησόμεθα (we will stand before) τῷ (the) βήματι (judgment seat) τοῦ (of) Θεοῦ (God).
11 γέγραπται (It has been written) γάρ (for): “Ζῶ (Live) ἐγώ (I), λέγει (says) Κύριος (the Lord), ὅτι (that) ἐμοὶ (to Me) κάμψει (will bow) πᾶν (every) γόνυ (knee), καὶ (and) πᾶσα (every) γλῶσσα (tongue) ἐξομολογήσεται (will confess)b τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God).”c
12 Ἄρα (So) οὖν (then), ἕκαστος (each) ἡμῶν (of us) περὶ (concerning) ἑαυτοῦ (himself), λόγον (account) δώσει (will give) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God). The Law of Love(Ezekiel 14:1 11; 1 Corinthians 8:1 13)
13 Μηκέτι (No longer) οὖν (therefore) ἀλλήλους (one another) κρίνωμεν (should we judge); ἀλλὰ (but) τοῦτο (this) κρίνατε (determine) μᾶλλον (rather), τὸ ( ) μὴ (not) τιθέναι (to put) πρόσκομμα (any stumbling block) τῷ (before your) ἀδελφῷ (brother), ἢ (or) σκάνδαλον (snare).
14 Οἶδα (I know) καὶ (and) πέπεισμαι (I am persuaded) ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) Ἰῦ (IS) ὅτι (that) οὐδὲν (nothing is) κοινὸν (unclean) δι’ (of) ἑαυτοῦ (itself); εἰ (if) μὴ (not) τῷ (to him) λογιζομένῳ (reckoning) τι (anything) κοινὸν (unclean) εἶναι (to be), ἐκείνῳ (to that one) κοινόν (unclean it is).
15 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) διὰ (on account of) βρῶμα (food), ὁ (the) ἀδελφός (brother) σου (of you) λυπεῖται (is grieved), οὐκέτι (no longer) κατὰ (according to) ἀγάπην (love) περιπατεῖς (are you walking). μὴ (Not) τῷ (with the) βρώματί (food) σου (of you) ἐκεῖνον (that one) ἀπόλλυε (destroy), ὑπὲρ (for) οὗ (whom) Χς (XS) ἀπέθανεν (died).
16 Μὴ (Not) βλασφημείσθω (let be spoken of as evil), οὖν (therefore), ὑμῶν (your) τὸ ( ) ἀγαθόν (good).
17 οὐ (Not) γάρ (for) ἐστιν (is) ἡ (the) βασιλεία (kingdom) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God) βρῶσις (eating) καὶ (and) πόσις (drinking), ἀλλὰ (but) δικαιοσύνη (righteousness) καὶ (and) εἰρήνη (peace) καὶ (and) χαρὰ (joy) ἐν (in the) Πνεύματι (Spirit) Ἁγίῳ (Holy).
18 ὁ (The one) γὰρ (for) ἐν (in) τούτῳ (these things) δουλεύων (serving) τῷ ( ) Χῷ (XS) εὐάρεστος (is well pleasing) τῷ ( ) Θεῷ (to God) καὶ (and) δόκιμος (approved) τοῖς ( ) ἀνθρώποις (by men).
19 Ἄρα (So) οὖν (then), τὰ (the things) τῆς ( ) εἰρήνης (of peace) διώκωμεν* (we should pursue), καὶ (and) τὰ (the things) τῆς ( ) οἰκοδομῆς (for edification) τῆς ( ) εἰς (among) ἀλλήλους (each other).
20 μὴ (Not) ἕνεκεν (for the sake of) βρώματος (food), κατάλυε (destroy) τὸ (the) ἔργον (work) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God). πάντα (All things) μὲν (indeed are) καθαρά (clean), ἀλλὰ (but) κακὸν (it is wrong) τῷ (to the) ἀνθρώπῳ (man) τῷ ( ) διὰ (through) προσκόμματος (a stumbling block) ἐσθίοντι (eating).
21 καλὸν (It is good) τὸ ( ) μὴ (neither) φαγεῖν (to eat) κρέα (meat), μηδὲ (nor) πιεῖν (to drink) οἶνον (wine), μηδὲ (nor anything) ἐν (in) ᾧ (which) ὁ (the) ἀδελφός (brother) σου (of you) προσκόπτει (stumbles).d
22 Σὺ (You) πίστιν (the faith) ἣν (that) ἔχεις (have), κατὰ (to) σεαυτὸν (yourself) ἔχε (keep) ἐνώπιον (before) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (God). μακάριος (Blessed is) ὁ (the one) μὴ (not) κρίνων (judging) ἑαυτὸν (himself) ἐν (in) ᾧ (what) δοκιμάζει (he approves).
23 ὁ (The one) δὲ (however) διακρινόμενος (doubting), ἐὰν (if) φάγῃ (he eats), κατακέκριται (has been condemned), ὅτι (because it is) οὐκ (not) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith); πᾶν (everything) δὲ (now) ὃ (that is) οὐκ (not) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith), ἁμαρτία (sin) ἐστίν (is).e
Chapter 15
1 Ὀφείλομεν (We ought) δὲ (now), ἡμεῖς (we) οἱ (who are) δυνατοὶ (strong), τὰ (the) ἀσθενήματα (weaknesses) τῶν (of the) ἀδυνάτων (weak) βαστάζειν (to bear), καὶ (and) μὴ (not) ἑαυτοῖς (ourselves) ἀρέσκειν (to please).
2 ἕκαστος (Each) ἡμῶν (of us) τῷ (the) πλησίον (neighbor) ἀρεσκέτω (let please), εἰς (unto) τὸ (the) ἀγαθὸν (good), πρὸς (for) οἰκοδομήν (edification).
3 καὶ (Even) γὰρ (for) ὁ ( ) Χς (XS) οὐχ (not) ἑαυτῷ (Himself) ἤρεσεν (pleased), ἀλλὰ (but) καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Οἱ (The) ὀνειδισμοὶ (reproaches) τῶν (of those) ὀνειδιζόντων (reproaching) σε (You) ἐπέπεσαν (have fallen) ἐπ’ (on) ἐμέ (Me).”a
4 ὅσα (Whatever) γὰρ (for) προεγράφη (was written in the past), (πάντα) (all) εἰς (for) τὴν ( ) ἡμετέραν (our) διδασκαλίαν (instruction) ἐγράφη (was written), ἵνα (so that) διὰ (through) τῆς ( ) ὑπομονῆς (endurance) καὶ (and) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) παρακλήσεως (encouragement) τῶν (of the) γραφῶν (Scriptures), τὴν ( ) ἐλπίδα (hope) ἔχωμεν (we might have).
5 Ὁ (The) δὲ (now) Θεὸς (God) τῆς ( ) ὑπομονῆς (of endurance) καὶ (and) τῆς ( ) παρακλήσεως (encouragement), δῴη (may He give) ὑμῖν (you) τὸ (the) αὐτὸ (same) φρονεῖν (to be of mind) ἐν (with) ἀλλήλοις (one another), κατὰ (according to) Χν (XS) Ἰν (IS),
6 ἵνα (so that) ὁμοθυμαδὸν (with one accord), ἐν (with) ἑνὶ (one) στόματι (mouth), δοξάζητε (you may glorify) τὸν (the) Θεὸν (God) καὶ (and) Πατέρα (Father) τοῦ (of the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS). XS the Servant of Jews and Gentiles
7 Διὸ (Therefore) προσλαμβάνεσθε (receive) ἀλλήλους (one another) καθὼς (as) καὶ (also) ὁ ( ) Χς (XS) προσελάβετο (received) ὑμᾶς* (you), εἰς (to) δόξαν (the glory) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God).
8 λέγω (I say) γὰρ (for), Χν (XS) διάκονον (a servant) γεγενῆσθαι (to have become) περιτομῆς (of the circumcision) ὑπὲρ (for) ἀληθείας (the truth) Θεοῦ (of God), εἰς (in order) τὸ ( ) βεβαιῶσαι (to confirm) τὰς (the) ἐπαγγελίας (promises given) τῶν (to the) πατέρων (fathers),
9 τὰ ( ) δὲ (and for) ἔθνη (the Gentiles), ὑπὲρ (for) ἐλέους (mercy), δοξάσαι (to glorify) τὸν ( ) Θεόν (God), καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Διὰ (Because of) τοῦτο (this) ἐξομολογήσομαί (I will praise) σοι (You) ἐν (among) ἔθνεσιν (the Gentiles), καὶ (and) τῷ (to the) ὀνόματί (name) σου (of You) ψαλῶ (will I sing).”b
10 Καὶ (And) πάλιν (again) λέγει (it says): “Εὐφράνθητε (Rejoice you) ἔθνη (Gentiles), μετὰ (with) τοῦ (the) λαοῦ (people) αὐτοῦ (of Him).”c
11 Καὶ (And) πάλιν (again): “Αἰνεῖτε (Praise) πάντα (all) τὰ (the) ἔθνη (Gentiles), τὸν (the) Κύριον (Lord); καὶ (and) ἐπαινεσάτωσαν (praise) αὐτὸν (Him), πάντες (all) οἱ (the) λαοί (peoples).”d
12 Καὶ (And) πάλιν (again), Ἠσαΐας (Isaiah) λέγει (says): “Ἔσται (There will be) ἡ (the) ῥίζα (root) τοῦ ( ) Ἰεσσαί (of Jesse), καὶ (and) ὁ (the One) ἀνιστάμενος (arising) ἄρχειν (to rule over) ἐθνῶν (Gentiles); ἐπ’ (in) αὐτῷ (Him) ἔθνη (the Gentiles) ἐλπιοῦσιν (will hope).”e
13 Ὁ ( ) δὲ (And) Θεὸς (the God) τῆς ( ) ἐλπίδος (of hope) πληρώσαι (may fill) ὑμᾶς (you) πάσης (with all) χαρᾶς (joy) καὶ (and) εἰρήνης (peace), ἐν (in) τῷ ( ) πιστεύειν (believing); εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) περισσεύειν (to abound) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐν (in) τῇ ( ) ἐλπίδι (hope) ἐν (in) δυνάμει (the power) Πνεύματος (of the Spirit) Ἁγίου (Holy). Paul the Minister to the Gentiles
14 Πέπεισμαι (I am persuaded) δέ (now), ἀδελφοί (brothers) μου (of me), καὶ (also) αὐτὸς (myself) ἐγὼ (I) περὶ (concerning) ὑμῶν (you), ὅτι (that) καὶ (also) αὐτοὶ (you yourselves) μεστοί (full) ἐστε (are) ἀγαθωσύνης (of goodness), πεπληρωμένοι (being filled) πάσης (with all) τῆς ( ) γνώσεως (knowledge), δυνάμενοι (being able) καὶ (also) ἀλλήλους (one another) νουθετεῖν (to admonish).
15 τολμηρότερον* (More boldly) δὲ (however) ἔγραψα (I have written) ὑμῖν (to you), ἀπὸ (in) μέρους (part), ὡς (as) ἐπαναμιμνήσκων (reminding) ὑμᾶς (you), διὰ (because of) τὴν (the) χάριν (grace) τὴν ( ) δοθεῖσάν (having been given) μοι (to me) ὑπὸ* (by) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (God)
16 εἰς (for) τὸ ( ) εἶναί (to be) με (me) λειτουργὸν (a minister) Χῦ (XS) Ἰῦ (of IS) εἰς (to) τὰ (the) ἔθνη (Gentiles), ἱερουργοῦντα (administering the sacred service) τὸ (of the) εὐαγγέλιον (gospel) τοῦ ( ) Θεοῦ (of God), ἵνα (so that) γένηται (might become) ἡ (the) προσφορὰ (offering) τῶν (of the) ἐθνῶν (Gentiles) εὐπρόσδεκτος (acceptable), ἡγιασμένη (having been sanctified) ἐν (in the) Πνεύματι (Spirit) Ἁγίῳ (Holy).
17 Ἔχω (I have) οὖν (therefore) τὴν (the) καύχησιν (boasting) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS), τὰ (in the things) πρὸς (pertaining to) τὸν ( ) Θεόν (God).
18 οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) τολμήσω (will I dare) τι (anything) λαλεῖν (to speak of), ὧν (what) οὐ (except) κατειργάσατο (has accomplished) Χς (XS) δι’ (through) ἐμοῦ (me), εἰς (unto the) ὑπακοὴν (obedience) ἐθνῶν (of the Gentiles), λόγῳ (by word) καὶ (and) ἔργῳ (deed),
19 ἐν (in the) δυνάμει (power) σημείων (of signs) καὶ (and) τεράτων (wonders), ἐν (in the) δυνάμει (power) Πνεύματος (of the Spirit) [θεοῦ] (of God); ὥστε (so as) με (for me) ἀπὸ (from) Ἰερουσαλὴμ (Jerusalem), καὶ (and) κύκλῳ (around) μέχρι (unto) τοῦ ( ) Ἰλλυρικοῦ (Illyricum), πεπληρωκέναι (to have fully proclaimed) τὸ (the) εὐαγγέλιον (gospel) τοῦ ( ) Χῦ (of XS),
20 οὕτως (thus) δὲ (now) φιλοτιμούμενον (being ambitious) εὐαγγελίζεσθαι (to preach the gospel) οὐχ (not) ὅπου (where) ὠνομάσθη (had been named) Χς (XS), ἵνα (so that) μὴ (not) ἐπ’ (upon) ἀλλότριον (another’s) θεμέλιον (foundation) οἰκοδομῶ (I might build).
21 ἀλλὰ (Rather), καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ὄψονται (They will see), ⇔ «οἷς (to whom) οὐκ (not) ἀνηγγέλη (it was proclaimed) περὶ (concerning) αὐτοῦ» (Him); καὶ (and) οἳ (those that) οὐκ (not) ἀκηκόασιν (have heard) συνήσουσιν (will understand).”f
22 Διὸ (Therefore) καὶ (also) ἐνεκοπτόμην (I have been hindered) τὰ ( ) πολλὰ (many times) τοῦ ( ) ἐλθεῖν (to come) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you). Paul's Travel Plans(1 Corinthians 16:5 9)
23 Νυνὶ (Now) δὲ (however), μηκέτι (no longer) τόπον (a place) ἔχων (having) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) κλίμασι (regions) τούτοις (these), ἐπιποθίαν (a great desire) δὲ (now) ἔχων (having had) τοῦ ( ) ἐλθεῖν (to come) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you) ἀπὸ (for) ἱκανῶν (many) ἐτῶν (years),
24 ὡς (whenever) ἂν ( ) πορεύωμαι (I may go) εἰς (to) τὴν ( ) Σπανίαν (Spain) ἐλπίζω (I hope) γὰρ (for) διαπορευόμενος (going through) θεάσασθαι (to see) ὑμᾶς (you), καὶ (and) ὑφ’ (by) ὑμῶν (you) προπεμφθῆναι (to be equipped) ἐκεῖ (there), ἐὰν (if) ὑμῶν (of you) πρῶτον (first) ἀπὸ (in) μέρους (part) ἐμπλησθῶ (I should be filled).
25 Νυνὶ (Now) δὲ (however) πορεύομαι (I am going) εἰς (to) Ἰερουσαλὴμ (Jerusalem), διακονῶν (ministering) τοῖς (to the) ἁγίοις (saints).
26 εὐδόκησαν* (Were pleased) γὰρ (for) Μακεδονία (Macedonia) καὶ (and) Ἀχαΐα (Achaia) κοινωνίαν (a contribution) τινὰ (certain) ποιήσασθαι (to make) εἰς (for) τοὺς (the) πτωχοὺς (poor) τῶν (among the) ἁγίων (saints) τῶν ( ) ἐν (in) Ἰερουσαλήμ (Jerusalem).
27 εὐδόκησαν* (They were pleased) γάρ (for), καὶ (and) ὀφειλέται (debtors) εἰσὶν (they are) αὐτῶν (of them). εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) τοῖς (the things) πνευματικοῖς (spiritual) αὐτῶν (of them) ἐκοινώνησαν (have shared in) τὰ (the) ἔθνη (Gentiles), ὀφείλουσιν (they ought) καὶ (also) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) σαρκικοῖς (material things) λειτουργῆσαι (to minister) αὐτοῖς (to them).
28 Τοῦτο (This) οὖν (therefore) ἐπιτελέσας (having finished) καὶ (and) σφραγισάμενος (having sealed) αὐτοῖς (to them) τὸν (the) καρπὸν (fruit) τοῦτον (this), ἀπελεύσομαι (I will set off) δι’ (through) ὑμῶν (you) εἰς (into) Σπανίαν (Spain).
29 οἶδα (I know) δὲ (now) ὅτι (that) ἐρχόμενος (coming) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you), ἐν (in) πληρώματι (the fullness) εὐλογίας (of the blessing)g Χῦ (of XS) ἐλεύσομαι (I will come).
30 Παρακαλῶ (I exhort) δὲ (now) ὑμᾶς (you), ἀδελφοί (brothers), διὰ (by) τοῦ (the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS) καὶ (and) διὰ (by) τῆς (the) ἀγάπης (love) τοῦ (of the) Πνεύματος (Spirit), συναγωνίσασθαί (to strive together with) μοι (me) ἐν (in) ταῖς (the) προσευχαῖς (prayers) ὑπὲρ (for) ἐμοῦ (me) πρὸς (to) τὸν ( ) Θεόν (God),
31 ἵνα (so that) ῥυσθῶ (I may be delivered) ἀπὸ (from) τῶν (those) ἀπειθούντων (refusing to be persuaded) ἐν (in) τῇ ( ) Ἰουδαίᾳ (Judea), καὶ (and) ἡ (the) διακονία (service) μου (of me), ἡ (which is) εἰς (in) Ἰερουσαλὴμ (Jerusalem), εὐπρόσδεκτος (acceptable) τοῖς (to the) ἁγίοις (saints) γένηται (may be),
32 ἵνα (so that) ἐν (in) χαρᾷ (joy), ἐλθὼν (having come) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you) διὰ (by the) θελήματος (will) Θεοῦ (of God), συναναπαύσωμαι (I may be refreshed with) ὑμῖν (you).
33 Ὁ ( ) δὲ (And) Θεὸς (the God) τῆς ( ) εἰρήνης (of peace) μετὰ (be with) πάντων (all) ὑμῶν (of you). ἀμήν (Amen).
Chapter 16
1 Συνίστημι (I commend) δὲ (now) ὑμῖν (to you) Φοίβην (Phoebe), τὴν (the) ἀδελφὴν (sister) ἡμῶν (of us), οὖσαν (being) ‹καὶ› (also) διάκονον (a servant)a τῆς (of the) ἐκκλησίας (church) τῆς ( ) ἐν (in) Κενχρεαῖς (Cenchrea),
2 ἵνα (that) αὐτὴν (her) προσδέξησθε (you might receive) ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) ἀξίως (worthily) τῶν ( ) ἁγίων (of the saints), καὶ (and) παραστῆτε (you might assist) αὐτῇ (her) ἐν (in) ᾧ (whatever) ἂν ( ) ὑμῶν (of you) χρῄζῃ (she may need) πράγματι (matter). καὶ (Also) γὰρ (for) αὐτὴ (she) προστάτις (a patroness) πολλῶν (of many) ἐγενήθη (has been), καὶ (and) ἐμοῦ (of me) αὐτοῦ (myself).
3 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Πρίσκαν (Prisca)b καὶ (and) Ἀκύλαν (Aquila), τοὺς (the) συνεργούς (fellow workers) μου (of me) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS) Ἰῦ (IS) —
4 οἵτινες (who) ὑπὲρ (for) τῆς (the) ψυχῆς (life) μου (of me), τὸν (the) ἑαυτῶν (of them) τράχηλον (neck) ὑπέθηκαν (have lain down), οἷς (whom) οὐκ (not) ἐγὼ (I) μόνος (only) εὐχαριστῶ (thank), ἀλλὰ (but) καὶ (also) πᾶσαι (all) αἱ (the) ἐκκλησίαι (churches) τῶν (of the) ἐθνῶν (Gentiles) —
5 καὶ (and) τὴν (the) κατ’ (at) οἶκον (house) αὐτῶν (their) ἐκκλησίαν (church). Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Ἐπαίνετον (Epenetus), τὸν (the) ἀγαπητόν (beloved) μου (of me), ὅς (who) ἐστιν (is) ἀπαρχὴ (a firstfruit) τῆς ( ) Ἀσίας (of Asia) εἰς (for) Χν (XS).
6 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Μαριάν (Mary), ἥτις (who) πολλὰ (much) ἐκοπίασεν (toiled) εἰς (for) ὑμᾶς (you).
7 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Ἀνδρόνικον (Andronicus) καὶ (and) Ἰουνίαν (Junias), τοὺς ( ) συγγενεῖς (kinsmen) μου (of me) καὶ (and) συναιχμαλώτους (fellow prisoners) μου (with me), οἵτινές (who) εἰσιν (are) ἐπίσημοι (of note) ἐν (among) τοῖς (the) ἀποστόλοις (apostles), οἳ (who) καὶ (also) πρὸ (before) ἐμοῦ (me) γέγοναν (were) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS).
8 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Ἀμπλιᾶτον (Ampliatus), τὸν ( ) ἀγαπητόν (beloved) μου (of me) ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord).
9 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Οὐρβανὸν (Urbanus), τὸν (the) συνεργὸν (fellow worker) ἡμῶν (of us) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS), καὶ (and) Στάχυν (Stachys) τὸν (the) ἀγαπητόν (beloved) μου (of me).
10 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Ἀπελλῆν (Apelles), τὸν (the) δόκιμον (approved) ἐν (in) Χῷ (XS). Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) τοὺς (those) ἐκ (of) τῶν (the household) Ἀριστοβούλου (of Aristobulus).
11 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Ἡρῳδίωνα (Herodion), τὸν (the) συγγενῆ (kinsman) μου (of me). Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) τοὺς (those) ἐκ (of) τῶν (the household) Ναρκίσσου (of Narcissus), τοὺς ( ) ὄντας (being) ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord).
12 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Τρύφαιναν (Tryphena) καὶ (and) Τρυφῶσαν (Tryphosa), τὰς (those) κοπιώσας (toiling) ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord). Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Περσίδα (Persis), τὴν (the) ἀγαπητήν (beloved), ἥτις (who) πολλὰ (much) ἐκοπίασεν (toiled) ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord).
13 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Ῥοῦφον (Rufus), τὸν (the) ἐκλεκτὸν (chosen) ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord), καὶ (and) τὴν (the) μητέρα (mother) αὐτοῦ (of him) καὶ (and) ἐμοῦ (of me).
14 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Ἀσύνκριτον (Asyncritus), Φλέγοντα (Phlegon), Ἑρμῆν (Hermes), Πατρόβαν (Patrobas), Ἑρμᾶν (Hermas), καὶ (and) τοὺς (the) σὺν (with) αὐτοῖς (them) ἀδελφούς (brothers).
15 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) Φιλόλογον (Philologus) καὶ (and) Ἰουλίαν (Julia), Νηρέα (Nereus) καὶ (and) τὴν (the) ἀδελφὴν (sister) αὐτοῦ (of him), καὶ (and) Ὀλυμπᾶν (Olympas) καὶ (and) τοὺς (the) σὺν (with) αὐτοῖς (them) πάντας (all) ἁγίους (saints).
16 Ἀσπάσασθε (Greet) ἀλλήλους (one another) ἐν (with) φιλήματι (a kiss) ἁγίῳ (holy). Ἀσπάζονται (Greet) ὑμᾶς (you), αἱ (the) ἐκκλησίαι (churches) πᾶσαι (all) τοῦ ( ) Χῦ (of XS). Avoid Divisions
17 Παρακαλῶ (I exhort) δὲ (now) ὑμᾶς (you), ἀδελφοί (brothers), σκοπεῖν (to watch out for) τοὺς (those) τὰς ( ) διχοστασίας (divisions) καὶ (and) τὰ ( ) σκάνδαλα (obstacles) παρὰ (contrary to) τὴν (the) διδαχὴν (teaching) ἣν (that) ὑμεῖς (you) ἐμάθετε (have learned) ποιοῦντας (causing), καὶ (and) ἐκκλίνετε (turn away) ἀπ’ (from) αὐτῶν (them).
18 οἱ ( ) γὰρ (For) τοιοῦτοι (such) τῷ (the) Κυρίῳ (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) Χῷ (XS) οὐ (not) δουλεύουσιν (serve), ἀλλὰ (but) τῇ (the) ἑαυτῶν (of themselves) κοιλίᾳ (belly); καὶ (and) διὰ (by) τῆς ( ) χρηστολογίας (smooth talk) καὶ (and) εὐλογίας (flattery) ἐξαπατῶσιν (they deceive) τὰς (the) καρδίας (hearts) τῶν (of the) ἀκάκων (naive).
19 Ἡ (The) γὰρ (for) ὑμῶν (of you) ὑπακοὴ (obedience), εἰς (to) πάντας (all) ἀφίκετο (has reached). ἐφ’ (Over) ὑμῖν (you), οὖν (therefore) χαίρω (I rejoice); θέλω (I wish) δὲ (however) ὑμᾶς (you) σοφοὺς (wise) εἶναι (to be) εἰς (to) τὸ ( ) ἀγαθόν (good), ἀκεραίους (innocent) δὲ (however) εἰς (to) τὸ ( ) κακόν (evil).
20 Ὁ (The) δὲ (now) Θεὸς (God) τῆς ( ) εἰρήνης (of peace) συντρίψει (will crush) τὸν ( ) Σατανᾶν (Satan) ὑπὸ (under) τοὺς (the) πόδας (feet) ὑμῶν (of you) ἐν (in) τάχει (a short time). Ἡ (The) χάρις (grace) τοῦ (of the) Κυρίου (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) Ἰῦ (IS) ‹Χῦ› (XS) μεθ’ (be with) ὑμῶν (you). Greetings from Paul's Companions
21 Ἀσπάζεται (Greets) ὑμᾶς (you) Τιμόθεος (Timothy), ὁ (the) συνεργός (fellow worker) μου (of me), καὶ (also) Λούκιος (Lucius), καὶ (and) Ἰάσων (Jason), καὶ (and) Σωσίπατρος (Sosipater), οἱ (the) συγγενεῖς (kinsmen) μου (of me).
22 Ἀσπάζομαι (Greet) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐγὼ (I), Τέρτιος (Tertius), ὁ (the one) γράψας (having written down) τὴν (this) ἐπιστολὴν (letter), ἐν (in the) Κυρίῳ (Lord).
23 Ἀσπάζεται (Greets) ὑμᾶς (you) Γάϊος (Gaius), ὁ (the) ξένος (host) μου (of me), καὶ (and) ὅλης (of all) τῆς (the) ἐκκλησίας (church). Ἀσπάζεται (Greets) ὑμᾶς (you) Ἔραστος (Erastus), ὁ (the) οἰκονόμος (steward) τῆς (of the) πόλεως (city), καὶ (and) Κούαρτος (Quartus), ὁ (the) ἀδελφός (brother).c Doxology(Romans 11:33 36; Jude 1:24 25)
25 Τῷ (To Him) δὲ (now) δυναμένῳ (being able) ὑμᾶς (you) στηρίξαι (to strengthen), κατὰ (according to) τὸ ( ) εὐαγγέλιόν (gospel) μου (my) καὶ (and) τὸ (the) κήρυγμα (preaching) Ἰῦ (of IS) Χῦ (XS), κατὰ (according to) ἀποκάλυψιν (the revelation) μυστηρίου (of the mystery), χρόνοις (in times) αἰωνίοις (of the ages) σεσιγημένου (having been kept secret),
26 φανερωθέντος (having been made manifest) δὲ (however) νῦν (now), διά (through) τε (also) γραφῶν (Scriptures) προφητικῶν (prophetic), κατ’ (according to) ἐπιταγὴν (the commandment) τοῦ (of the) αἰωνίου (Eternal) Θεοῦ (God), εἰς (unto the) ὑπακοὴν (obedience) πίστεως (of faith) — εἰς (to) πάντα (all) τὰ (the) ἔθνη (Gentiles) γνωρισθέντος (having been made known) —
27 μόνῳ (to the only) σοφῷ (wise) Θεῷ (God), διὰ (through) Ἰῦ (IS) Χῦ (XS) ᾧ (which is), ἡ (be the) δόξα (glory) εἰς (to) τοὺς (the) αἰῶνας (ages) 〈τῶν (of the) αἰώνων〉 (ages), ἀμήν (Amen).

Or Sinaiticus

https://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manu ... omSlider=0

ων οι πατερεϲ και
εξ ων ο χϲ το κατα
ϲαρκα ο ων επι πα
των θϲ ευλογητοϲ
ειϲ τουϲ αιωναϲ α
μην
John T

Post by John T »

lclapshaw wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:21 pm

:facepalm:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

John T wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:42 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:21 pm

:facepalm:
Yeah! By idiot!
John T

Post by John T »

schillingklaus wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:15 pm Romans 9-11 is a late addition, as already figured by van Manen.
https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/vmanrom.html
Thanks for the link.
In short, it was a nothing more than a lengthy diatribe against early Christians who the mythicist Van Manen saw as too stupid to understand that Paul's dualism was actually gnosticism.

With that in mind, why do you think the mythicist Thomas Whittaker deliberately left out the commentary by Van Manen on Romans 9:5?
Better yet, why would you provide a link to a lengthy paper on mythicisim that doesn't even address the topic of this thread?

Also, what would Whittaker and Van Manen say now, if they had a copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls? Surely they would no longer try to turn Paul into a Basilides gnostic.