Tacitus, Annals 15.44 Interpolation Historiography

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Tacitus, Annals 15.44 Interpolation Historiography

Post by MrMacSon »

Peter Kirby wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:14 pm
An interesting old discussion from Earl Doherty:

https://bcharchive.org/2/thearchives/sh ... l?t=248025

https://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/tacitus/
"The existence of such a consolidated edition is implied in Jerome's oft-quoted reference (Comm. ad Zach. 3, 14; = Migne, 25, 1522) to the triginta volumina (= libri) of the Tacitean 'vitae Caesarum'" (thirty books of a combined Annals + Histories)

Cheers, Peter. Geez, Doherty is good (I've got something he recently wrote about to post about in another thread)
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Peter Kirby wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:14 pmAn interesting old discussion from Earl Doherty:

https://bcharchive.org/2/thearchives/sh ... l?t=248025
That's a good link. I recommend reading through the arguments between Doherty and Ben C Smith starting from page 7:
https://bcharchive.org/2/thearchives/sh ... 025&page=7

Ben wrote:

1. Tacitus wrote that Nero persecuted Christians.
2. Suetonius wrote that Nero persecuted Christians.
3. Tertullian wrote that Nero persecuted Christians, and also that Nero killed Paul.
4. Eusebius quoted Tertullian to the effect that Nero persecuted Christians, and then adds that he also killed Paul.
5. The author of the Acts of Paul wrote that Nero persecuted Christians, and also that Nero killed Paul.

Ben also includes the Ascension of Isaiah, which has Nero persecuting Christians as well as Peter.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Chris Hansen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:16 pm As I am not particularly familiar with Early Modern High German, or Dutch, and the likes, I am rather limited to see how much farther back it goes though.
We Germans are very very proud :cheers: that Arminius defeated these Roman legions. Tacitus is therefore untouchable. Of course, these fake theories came from some envious French and British boys :D

;)
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:07 pm
Chris Hansen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:16 pm As I am not particularly familiar with Early Modern High German, or Dutch, and the likes, I am rather limited to see how much farther back it goes though.
We Germans are very very proud :cheers: that Arminius defeated these Roman legions. Tacitus is therefore untouchable. Of course, these fake theories came from some envious French and British boys :D

;)
Unfortunately, my Dutch isn't what it used to be. And my German - oh dear lawd, it just went *poof* up in smoke. Likewise for my French, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Latin and Coptic

I think we should be much more interested in opinions of opinions on opinions by professional opinionators, especially across languages, and preferably in languages we don't understand. It's all so exciting, isn't it! And then we ignore all those languages and original texts and just get some half-assed English translation to quote from, shall we? Because everything written in and on Christianity can be trusted for the full 100%

If only Ben C. Smith were still around to overload everyone with information on irrelevant topics! Those were the days
Chrissy Hansen

Post by Chrissy Hansen »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:07 pm

;)
The French ruin everything lol. First they get all snippy about Tacitus. What next? Gonna start trying to take the Burgundians from us next? (My family is Danish-German-English, so I get to be snippy toward the French)