Christus/Chrestus in the Original Texts

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: Christus/Chrestus in the Original Texts: NHL overview

Post by mlinssen »

An overview of the various forms, with lacunae in between brackets
NagHammadiLibrary_XS-Chrest-Christ.jpg
NagHammadiLibrary_XS-Chrest-Christ.jpg (196.69 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
From

https://www.academia.edu/62646507/ChrEs ... n_content_
lclapshaw

Re: Christus/Chrestus in the Original Texts

Post by lclapshaw »

^ I think it's time to face it. It is Xrestos/XRC/XC without a doubt.

But at least we've done the work and shown that it's not just opinion. :cheers:

Now I'd like to get a handle on the Kurios/Despotes issue. :)
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

lclapshaw wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:32 pm ^ I think it's time to face it. It is Xrestos/XRC/XC without a doubt.

You can go by the NHL indices like I have?

It'll take you a weekend at most, and you'll have a nice starting point / baseline
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

mlinssen wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:56 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:32 pm ^ I think it's time to face it. It is Xrestos/XRC/XC without a doubt.

You can go by the NHL indices like I have?

It'll take you a weekend at most, and you'll have a nice starting point / baseline
I'm interested in the usage with pagan Greek and Roman as well. We have a total flip flop with our only Jewish sources so it would be worth looking into in connection with the general Greek material of the 1st centuries BCE and CE. See if any patterns emerge.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

mlinssen wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:33 am An overview of the various forms, with lacunae in between brackets

From

I have read through your paper a number of times and understand you are working from the indices at the end of the translations for a series of tracts. Looks to be 12 publications. What further work would be required to show this breakdown on a tract by tract basis?
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 am
mlinssen wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:33 am An overview of the various forms, with lacunae in between brackets

From

I have read through your paper a number of times and understand you are working from the indices at the end of the translations for a series of tracts. Looks to be 12 publications. What further work would be required to show this breakdown on a tract by tract basis?
Cross link the indices to the ToC: take tractate and line number from index, pick corresponding tractate from "ToC" on pages 18-20.
13 codices, 52 tractates

Mind you, no one has noticed so far that I don't have indices for Codex I and II, and that my overview isn't complete. Perhaps you'll be the first
Leucius Charinus

mlinssen wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:24 am
Leucius Charinus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 am I have read through your paper a number of times and understand you are working from the indices at the end of the translations for a series of tracts. Looks to be 12 publications. What further work would be required to show this breakdown on a tract by tract basis?
Cross link the indices to the ToC:
take tractate and line number from index,
pick corresponding tractate from "ToC" on pages 18-20.

13 codices, 52 tractates

Mind you, no one has noticed so far that I don't have indices for Codex I and II, and that my overview isn't complete. Perhaps you'll be the first
Now that you mentioned it you write at p18:

Complete Nag Hammadi Library Codex and Tractate index

That concludes Codex I and II; the next codices will be represented solely via screenshots of the relevant part of their indices

Pages 18-20 provide the codex and tract View for the entire NHL. After this you start using screen shots of the index entries in the rest of your source volumes with links to the ultimate digitised Coptic manuscript leaves for the NHL. I didn't notice the change in process.

I accepted you began reading through the tracts in codices I and II (containing Thomas and Philip) and then switched to reading the indices. IMO that does not make your overview incomplete or inconsistent. The tallies should match using both methods.

And what does it matter if there are a few less or a few more Chrestos cards in a clear dominance of Chrestos cards in the NHL. It is a genuine discovery that Phillip is the only NHL tract to play the very rare and mysterious Christos card. Phillip plays the Chrestos card and the mysterious Christos card together. What was Phillip thinking?

53. If thou say ‘I’m a Jew’—no one will be moved.
If thou say ‘I’m a Roman’—no one will be disturbed.
If thou say ‘I’m a Greek, a barbarian, a slave, a freeman’—no one will be troubled.
If thou [say] ‘I’m a XRηSTIANOS°’—[everyone] shall heed.

a May it occur that I have [received from him] in this manner, this which [the worldly] shall not be able to withstand when [they hear] this name!

mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:47 am I accepted you began reading through the tracts in codices I and II (containing Thomas and Philip) and then switched to reading the indices. IMO that does not make your overview incomplete or inconsistent. The tallies should match using both methods.

And what does it matter if there are a few less or a few more Chrestos cards in a clear dominance of Chrestos cards in the NHL. It is a genuine discovery that Phillip is the only NHL tract to play the very rare and mysterious Christos card. Phillip plays the Chrestos card and the mysterious Christos card together. What was Phillip thinking?

53. If thou say ‘I’m a Jew’—no one will be moved.
If thou say ‘I’m a Roman’—no one will be disturbed.
If thou say ‘I’m a Greek, a barbarian, a slave, a freeman’—no one will be troubled.
If thou [say] ‘I’m a XRηSTIANOS°’—[everyone] shall heed.

a May it occur that I have [received from him] in this manner, this which [the worldly] shall not be able to withstand when [they hear] this name!

It's just that I leave a few bread crumbs in most of my writings, and none of them have been picked up yet. It's a way to measure reach, so to say

What was Philip thinking?
Philip is just telling the story of his religion, in a chronological order. Want to know about early Christianity, Christian origins?
Read Philip - unadulterated
Leucius Charinus

So do you have links to the indices for Codex I and II ?
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:58 am So do you have links to the indices for Codex I and II ?
Only hardly legal ones, and Brill and such. Google is your friend