Complete Thomas Commentary Part II (Logion 0-55)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jagd

Re: Complete Thomas Commentary Part II (Logion 0-55)

Post by Jagd »

Extremely exciting! I'll have a few days free so I'll spend that time running through the Commentary. Thank you for your work, Martijn. Always illuminating.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

You're welcome!
If you want to get the gist first, skip everything but the chapters Meaning and Relation to Previous Logia. And you may want to skip the Oxyrhynchus pieces in the latter

And please let me know how that works out LOL, haven't tried it myself
mlinssen

Backdoor(s) into the Complete Thomas Commentary Part II (Logion 0-55)

Post by mlinssen »

With 500+ pages and an average of 10 pages per logion, naturally the accessibility leaves something to be desired

The good news is that I have built several backdoors into the Commentary, as I have worked in IT for more than 25 years, solely for mutlinationals, building applications and systems for hundreds, sometimes thousands of users that covered complete business processes for several departments at once. I have built other tools as well, of quite a different nature, and most if not all of these were of such complex nature and application that shortcuts - offical ones as well as unofficial ones - offered several benefits

Hence the Commentary contains several backdoors as well. Please observe the ToC to https://www.academia.edu/46974146/Compl ... n_content_:
CompleteThomasCommentaryToC.png
CompleteThomasCommentaryToC.png (164.24 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Each logion is divided into the following sub chapters:
  • The logion itself
    • Interpretation
    • Explanatation
    • Meaning
    • Relation to previous logia
What is in there?
  • The Logion itself - the fully normalised literal translation with every single word hyperlinked to dictionaries: the Coptic Dictionary Online, Perseus' LSJ, a direct page from Crum, whatever is needed
    • Interpretation - a more legible translation of the Logion that still adheres as much as possible to the literal one yet weighs legibility over literal representation. Just a few lines, broken down into sentences or phrases, and sometimes ordered according to the metamorphosis model where and if applicable
    • Explanatation - a very elaborate explanation of each and every word in the Interpretation that pays full attention to each Coptic word and as such pays a lot of attention to the Coptic, which gradually becomes less as one advances through Thomas as every word gets explained only once. A few pages usually, sometimes dozens of them for the logia that require much more explanation
    • Meaning - a concise summary of the Explanation for those who want to skip to just the Meaning as argumented in the Explanation. A paragraph or two usually, half a page on average, rarely slightly longer
    • Relation to previous logia - the relation between this Logion and previous ones, sustained by the Concordance, at the end of which there is room for material outside of the Coptic text: either the Greek fragments or similar verses from the NT. These can vary from just a few lines to a handful of pages
For those who want to skip parts, or who are interested in only one of the many aspects, the ToC presents the backdoor(s) to that. If you want to only observe the Greek fragments for example, just click each Relation to previous logia and start at "a word on" which usually marks those sub entries. Likewise for the NT copies.
You will miss some minor elaborations that sometimes are placed in other sub chapters, but those will usually be referenced

No one has to read 500+ pages in order to form their own opinion of my Thomas elaboration and argumentation, one can easily and effortlessly get the gist by taking these shortcuts.
This is not just any Commentary, this is called Complete Thomas Commentary for very valid reasons. I am the last one on earth to call myself modest nor can I name anyone who will consider me to be anything the like, but this - rather roaring - title is well deserved and merely objectively reflects the true nature of the Commentary

I wholeheartedly invite anyone to scan and skip through my Thomas Commentary - with over 5,500 hyperlinks it opens a treasure trove into an abundance of openly accessible documents, manuscripts, academic papers and books, and so forth
klewis

Post by klewis »

Charles Wilson wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:00 pm Absolutely first rate work.

CW
I second it
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

I know you're not up to Logion 90 in commentary yet but have two questions which have arisen while looking at the three occurrences of IHS amidst the mass of IS.

Your preliminary translation is:

90. said IHS : come!(PL) toward I : a(n) Kind-one is my yoke and my(F) lordship a(n) gentle-man is(F) and you(PL) will fall to a(n) Repose to you(PL)

Q1: Can the "kind one" be transcribed as "Chrestos"?
Q2: Does the last phrase support "you will fall asleep"

as in:

90 IHS said "Come to me! My yoke is Chrestos, my lordship gentle, you will fall asleep

Thanks.
mlinssen

Thomas logion 90: fall to a Repose... Good or Bad?

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:45 pm I know you're not up to Logion 90 in commentary yet but have two questions which have arisen while looking at the three occurrences of IHS amidst the mass of IS.

Your preliminary translation is:

90. said IHS : come!(PL) toward I : a(n) Kind-one is my yoke and my(F) lordship a(n) gentle-man is(F) and you(PL) will fall to a(n) Repose to you(PL)

Q1: Can the "kind one" be transcribed as "Chrestos"?
Q2: Does the last phrase support "you will fall asleep"

as in:

90 IHS said "Come to me! My yoke is Chrestos, my lordship gentle, you will fall asleep

Thanks.
The Translation has been complete since its very first publication on February 29th 2020 (certainly no coincidence there) although it has gotten a lot better ever since:

https://www.academia.edu/42110001

Click the Coptic in logion 90, click the English.
Search the Concordance if you like (I'll change the links in the next version so the English points to the Concordance instead of the Index)

And you have really no idea how eerily close you are to what I have concluded in the meantime indeed. Check the English-Coptic Concordance for Repose or the Coptic-English for ⲁⲛⲁⲡⲁⲩⲥⲓⲥ

And then do pay the utmost attention to what's precisely written in logion 90 - and we'll take it from there, it is tremendously exciting
Leucius Charinus

Interactive Coptic-English translation The good message according to Thomas
Martijn Linssen, MA Version 1.9
Page 92 of 256

LOGION 90

ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲓⲏ̅ⲥ̅ ϫⲉ ⲁⲙⲏⲉⲓⲧⲛ̅ ϣⲁⲣⲟ ⲉⲓ` ϫⲉ ⲟⲩ ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲁ ⲛⲁϩⲃ`
ⲡⲉϫⲉ- ⲓⲏⲥ ϫⲉ- ⲁⲙⲏⲉⲓⲧⲛ ϣⲁ- ⲉⲓ ϫⲉ- ⲟⲩ- ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲁ- ⲛⲁϩⲃ
said IHS : come!(PL) toward I : a(n) Kind-one is my yoke

ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲁ ⲙⲛ̅ⲧ̅ϫⲟⲉⲓⲥ ⲟⲩ ⲣⲙ̅ⲣⲁϣ ⲧⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲉⲧ ⲛⲁ ϩⲉ ⲁ ⲩ ⲁⲛⲁⲩⲡⲁⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲏ ⲧⲛ̅
ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲁ- ⲙⲛⲧϫⲟⲉⲓⲥ ⲟⲩ- ⲣⲙⲣⲁϣ ⲧⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲉⲧⲛ- ⲛⲁ- ϩⲉ ⲉ- ⲟⲩ- ⲁⲛⲁⲡⲁⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲁ⸗ -ⲧⲏⲩⲧⲛ
and my(F) lordship a(n) gentle-man is(F) and you(PL) will fall to a(n) Repose to you(PL)

1) ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ can be rendered as Chrestos

2) ⲁⲛⲁⲡⲁⲩⲥⲓⲥ = TLA lemma no. C8251

1. rest, repose
2. repose, rest (referent: release from the cosmos)
3. repose, rest (referent: celestial hypostasis; an aeon)
4. repose, rest (attributive; referent: celestial hypostasis; an aeon)
5. offering made on behalf of s.o.'s soul
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 am Interactive Coptic-English translation The good message according to Thomas
Martijn Linssen, MA Version 1.9
Page 92 of 256

LOGION 90

ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲓⲏ̅ⲥ̅ ϫⲉ ⲁⲙⲏⲉⲓⲧⲛ̅ ϣⲁⲣⲟ ⲉⲓ` ϫⲉ ⲟⲩ ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲁ ⲛⲁϩⲃ`
ⲡⲉϫⲉ- ⲓⲏⲥ ϫⲉ- ⲁⲙⲏⲉⲓⲧⲛ ϣⲁ- ⲉⲓ ϫⲉ- ⲟⲩ- ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲁ- ⲛⲁϩⲃ
said IHS : come!(PL) toward I : a(n) Kind-one is my yoke

ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲁ ⲙⲛ̅ⲧ̅ϫⲟⲉⲓⲥ ⲟⲩ ⲣⲙ̅ⲣⲁϣ ⲧⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲉⲧ ⲛⲁ ϩⲉ ⲁ ⲩ ⲁⲛⲁⲩⲡⲁⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲏ ⲧⲛ̅
ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲁ- ⲙⲛⲧϫⲟⲉⲓⲥ ⲟⲩ- ⲣⲙⲣⲁϣ ⲧⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲉⲧⲛ- ⲛⲁ- ϩⲉ ⲉ- ⲟⲩ- ⲁⲛⲁⲡⲁⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲁ⸗ -ⲧⲏⲩⲧⲛ
and my(F) lordship a(n) gentle-man is(F) and you(PL) will fall to a(n) Repose to you(PL)

1) ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ can be rendered as Chrestos

2) ⲁⲛⲁⲡⲁⲩⲥⲓⲥ = TLA lemma no. C8251

1. rest, repose
2. repose, rest (referent: release from the cosmos)
3. repose, rest (referent: celestial hypostasis; an aeon)
4. repose, rest (attributive; referent: celestial hypostasis; an aeon)
5. offering made on behalf of s.o.'s soul
Almost there. Look at the transcription of the text please, for the second word you inquired after
Leucius Charinus

Transcription: and you(PL) will fall to a(n) Repose to you(PL)
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:30 am Transcription: and you(PL) will fall to a(n) Repose to you(PL)
viewtopic.php?p=123096#p123096

And

viewtopic.php?p=127707#p127707