Tore Down and Flesh in Ephesians and Galatians

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

Tore Down and Flesh in Ephesians and Galatians

Post by gryan »

Galatians 2 (My translations and focal points in bold)

14But when I saw that they were deviating from the truth of the gospel, I told Cephas in front of all, “If you, who are a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel Gentiles to live like Jews? 15We are Jews by birth and not “Gentile sinners,” 16and yet because we know that a person is not justified by the works of the law except by the faith of Christ Jesus, even we ourselves have believed in Christ Jesus. This was so that we might be justified by the faith of Christ and not by the works of the law, because all flesh will not be justified by works of the law. 17But if we ourselves are also found to be “sinners” while seeking to be justified by Christ, is Christ then a promoter of sin? Absolutely not! 18If I rebuild those things that κατέλυσα ["I tore down", καταλύω, from κατα and λύω], I show myself to be a lawbreaker. 19For through the law I died to the law,a so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.The life I now live in the flesh, in the faith I live--that of the God and Christ who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the law, a then Christ died for nothing.

Ephesians 2

11So, then, remember that at one time you were Gentiles in the flesh — called “the uncircumcised” by those called “the circumcised,”a which is done in the flesh by human hands. 12At that time you were without Christ, excluded from the citizenship of Israel, and foreigners to the covenants of promise, a without hope and without God in the world. 13But now in Christ Jesus, you who were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14For he is our peace, who made both groups one and tore down [λύσας from λύω] the dividing wall of hostility. In his flesh, 15he made of no effect the law consisting of commands and expressed in regulations, so that he might create in himself one new humanity from the two, resulting in peace. 16He did this so that he might reconcile both to God in one body through the cross by which he put the hostility to death. 17He came and proclaimed the good news of peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. 19So, then, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with the saints, and members of God’s household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets,a with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. 21In him the whole building, being put together,a grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22In him you are also being built together for God’s dwelling in the Spirit.

Thesis: In respect to "the flesh" and "tearing down", Eph 1:11-22 is an interpretation of Gal 2:14-21.