What is the correct date for Jesus last supper/passover?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Re: What is the correct date for Jesus last supper/passover?

Post by Charles Wilson »

John T --

You are most welcome.

One such Nexus is the 4 BCE Passover. You can verify that the Sabbaths are separated appropriately for this year.
Reading Josephus et. al. for the events surrounding Passover and the weekly Sabbath in 4 BCE (and 9 CE) has led me to conclude that many of the Stories of the NT were written around these Holy Days at the death of Herod and the ascension of Archelaus.

To get to this, however, you must see what you have seen and I thank you for taking the time to understand this point.
John T

Post by John T »

Trees of Life wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:07 am
You quote from my post in which I wrote, 'If you want a 'correct' answer, why do you seek an answer according to your 'best' calculation.' The sentence has no question mark, and no question was asked. The text was in reply to your post in which you wrote, 'I'm not sure what you are getting at.'
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that your comments weren't sarcasm but sincere.
I stand corrected.
John T

Post by John T »

DCHindley wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:29 am
It is complicated by the fact that the Babylonian version of the lunar calendar was in 1st Century CE intercalated by calculations, not by observation. We don't know whether the Judean High Priest followed the calculations, or used 1st visibility of the moon's crescent, which may cause the exact day to be off by 1-2 days from the calculation.

Where did you see a source that says these three groups observed the Passover on the same day in 30 CE? A link would be cool.

Thanks!

DCH
All valid questions that gives me pause and a major headache. Thanks DCH.
Still, it is my understanding that the Nasi, that is, the head of the Great Sanhedrin in the 1st century determined the Hebrew calendar based on visual sighting among other things.

Also, I know of only three possible sources that reportedly track the phases of the moon back to 30 C.E.
The U.S. Naval Observatory in D.C. which I can't figure out how to access. I still don't know how Pastor G. Reckart got access to them, if he even did.

The second source is the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and likewise I don't know how to get access that as well.
The third is contained in the link below by Jean Meeus but does not include which day, e.g. Wednesday the Passover fell on.

http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/phases ... escat.html

As far as the source that all three matched up, it based on the Dead Sea scrolls, Polycarp's visit to Rome when he confronted Anicetus, i.e. the Quartodeciman controversy, and other clues.
I could easily be wrong but there is too much there not to investigate further.
Admittedly, much work to be done and so few computer skills to run it to ground.

Again thanks for your profound insight and guidance.

John T
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

John T wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:57 am
Charles Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:56 am You must find Passovers that are separated by these 3 days and that narrows down the Passovers and Feasts from the weekly Sabbath.
CW
I agree.

Passover i.e. Wednesday is a sabbath and three days later you have the weekly sabbath, i.e. Saturday.
I could quote the Torah but I think you already know that to be true.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5060&p=97969&hilit= ... day#p97969

This goes back years for me and it is as amazing to me now as it was then. The URLs given in the Post for the Naval Tables do not work but the "Julian Day" Calendar material has been duplicated - https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1227779487. There are other New Moon Tables on the 'Net

1. Anchor Date: The Fall of the Second Temple is the "Anchor Date". Jehoiarib is on Duty for this week.
2. There are 24 Mishmarot Groups, each on Duty for a week. 7 days X 24 Groups = 168 days. Therefore, if I count back 168 days, for example, from that week where Jehoiarib was on Duty for the Fall of the Temple, I will find that Jehoiarib was on Duty for that week.
3. The Julian Day Calendar allows an "Objective Measure" for comparison purposes. When I did this years ago, one program I used required 4 BCE to be represented as "-3". The URL above allows "4 BC".
4. Find the New Moon that designates the New Year for 4 BCE.
5. Find Passover.
6. You will find that the Julian Day week for Passover matches up with Bilgah and then Immer, as advertised.
7. "Destroy this Temple and in three days I will raise it up."

John 1: 15 (RSV):

[15] (John bore witness to him, and cried, "This was he of whom I said, `He who comes after me ranks before me, for he was before me.'")

8. Amazing.

Best to you,

CW