Thoughts about Dating Revalation to John to Hadrian's Time

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
ABuddhist

Re: Thoughts about Dating Revalation to John to Hadrian's Time

Post by ABuddhist »

John T, if you know about any mythicists who are conflating mythicism and mysticism, then please cite them to us.

Otherwise, your claim seems false.
John T

Post by John T »

ABuddhist wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:51 am John T, if you know about any mythicists who are conflating mythicism and mysticism, then please cite them to us.

:facepalm:

John T is done with this thread.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

John T wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am
ABuddhist wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:51 am John T, if you know about any mythicists who are conflating mythicism and mysticism, then please cite them to us.

I note that you have not responded to any other of my words in reply to you from this morning - not even to condemn them as false or lies. Does this mean that you acknowledge that the following words are all true?

What nonsense you are saying in the following ways!

1. Mythicism and mysticism are not related words (except perhaps in the most distant sense unrelated to modern English), nor are mythicists conflating mysticism and mythicism. Mythicism is related to the word myth, and mysticism is related to the word mystic - and a myth and a mystic are fundamentally different nouns.

2. You foolishly continue to rely upon Ehrman's work as the definitive refutation of mythicism even as I have shown to you that it was not such a book.

3. You incorrectly claim that you have confirmed Ehrman's claims about mythicists even though: (a) I have provided to you a quotation establishing that one can be a Christian and a mythicist; and (b) your claim that a few modern atheists have conflated mythicism and mysticism in order to mislead the ignorant is nonsense, as I pointed out in point (1) of this response.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Do not get me wrong. Some mythicists claim that early Christianity, with its mythical Christ, arose from mysticism - but even they distinguish, as far as I know, between the concepts of "myth" and "mystic" (and their respective -isms).
Jax

Post by Jax »

ABuddhist wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:27 am

Do not get me wrong. Some mythicists claim that early Christianity, with its mythical Christ, arose from mysticism - but even they distinguish, as far as I know, between the concepts of "myth" and "mystic" (and their respective -isms).
You're wasting your time on this one friend. This is common with him, making shit up and then making his exit.

Lane
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Jax wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:53 am

You're wasting your time on this one friend. This is common with him, making shit up and then making his exit.

Lane
I prefer to act as if people are honest - wherefore I seek citations for their claims.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

ABuddhist wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:28 am
Jax wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:53 am

Lane
I prefer to act as if people are honest - wherefore I seek citations for their claims.
A laudable position and one that I myself attempt to emulate, one that is lost on him I'm afraid.