Thoughts about Dating Revalation to John to Hadrian's Time

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Thoughts about Dating Revalation to John to Hadrian's Time

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:58 pm I thought 'mythcists' do not believe Christianity even existed during the time of Hadrian. :scratch:

Who has argued that? (apart from mountainman)
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

John T wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:58 pm
ABuddhist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 am So, if Revelation, which Gmirkin, many mythicists, and even some Christians (albeit obliquely!) note is a very primitive Christian text, dates to the time of Hadrian (as argued in Witulski, Thomas.
There you go again.
Who are these so-called; "many" mythicists you are referring too?
I thought 'mythcists' do not believe Christianity even existed during the time of Hadrian. :scratch:

Remind me again, when did Richard Carrier, et. al. say the myth of Jesus begin?

Thank you in advance.

John T
You reveal yourself to be very ignorant of the forms which mythicism can take. But I am patient and will answer you. Replying to Christians' allegations about my "grate gawd Bood [sic]" - in reality the Buddha Gotama, Sage of the Shakyans, teacher of gods and humans, true victor, etc. (not to be confused with the Buddha Amitabha), - has taughten to me patience.

The many mythicists who claim that Revelation is a primitive text are Doherty, Carrier, and Couchoud (if I understand correctly). My central point was not that Revelation to John is often agreed by mythicists to be primitive, but rather that prominent mythicists agree with non-mythicists, such as Gmirkin and some Christian scholars, that the Revelation to John is primitive. So feel free to replace "many" with "multiple".

As for your claim that mythicists believe that Christianity did not exist during Hadrian's time, some hold this view, but others do not. Some accept that it began around the 30s CE, others place it during the 50s around 70 CE, or in the 1st century BCE (for an example of which, see: https://www.debunking-christianity.com/ ... -bart.html )

But Dr. Richard Carrier and Earl Doherty assume that Christrianity beginned during the 1st century CE (See here ( http://www.jesuspuzzle.com/jesuspuzzle/supp08.htm ) for Doherty and here ( https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/18613 ) for Dr. Carrier), and Dr. Carrier has even writed a refutation of claims by other mythicists that Christianity arised during the 4th century CE: https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/18047 .
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:36 pm
John T wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:58 pm I thought 'mythcists' do not believe Christianity even existed during the time of Hadrian. :scratch:

I know - what a staggering ignorance of the mythicists' claims such an assertion reveals - in turn undermining my confidence in his confidence that mythicism is false.
John T

Post by John T »

It is all so confusing just who all those "many" mythcists are and what they believe or don't believe.
Perhaps you can shed some light on your understanding who ABuddhist is referring too?

Don't you find it strange how I have to provide quotes, names, and dates for ABuddhist regarding mythicists (which I'm happy to do) but not the other-way around?

Away, the book of Revelation was written in the 1st century and the number of the beast was code for Titus according to "many" mythcists. :cheeky:
John T

Post by John T »

ABuddhist wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:42 pm
John T wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:58 pm
ABuddhist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 am So, if Revelation, which Gmirkin, many mythicists, and even some Christians (albeit obliquely!) note is a very primitive Christian text, dates to the time of Hadrian (as argued in Witulski, Thomas.
There you go again.
Who are these so-called; "many" mythicists you are referring too?
I thought 'mythcists' do not believe Christianity even existed during the time of Hadrian. :scratch:

Remind me again, when did Richard Carrier, et. al. say the myth of Jesus begin?

Thank you in advance.

John T
But Dr. Richard Carrier and Earl Doherty assume that Christrianity beginned during the 1st century CE (See here ( http://www.jesuspuzzle.com/jesuspuzzle/supp08.htm ) for Doherty and here ( https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/18613 ) for Dr. Carrier), and Dr. Carrier has even writed a refutation of claims by other mythicists that Christianity arised during the 4th century CE: https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/18047 .
Please provide a quote from your sources as to the exact year they say the myth of Jesus started.
Also, please provide a quote that they say you can be both a mythicist and a Christian at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

John T
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Who has argued that?
I'd argue that orthodox Christianity did not 'exhibit' until the end of the 2nd century.

I think a key question is: " What forms of Christianity existed in, say, 140—150 AD/CE ? "
  • Most if not all forms of Christianity then could be 'Gnostic'-Christian (for want of a better term)
  • M David Litwa has
    • Simon of Samaria ................. 35-70 CE
      (so Simonians from then)
      Menander .......................... 60—100 CE
      Cerinthus .......................... 70—110 CE
      Nicolaitans ........................ 90—100 CE
      Saturninus ......................... 90—100 CE
      Euphrates and Akembes ....... 120—200 CE
      Marcion ........................... 120—160 CE
      Seed of Seth ..................... 130—400 CE
      Basidides ......................... 130—160 CE
      Carpcrates ....................... 130—160 CE
      Valentinus ........................ 130—160 CE
      Ptolemy .......................... 140—152 CE or 180 CE
      Julius Cassianus ................. 145—180 CE
      Heracleon ........................ 150—180 CE
      Marcus ............................ 150—180 CE
      Tatian ............................. 150—180 CE
      Marcellina ........................ 160—180 CE
      Apelles ............................ 160—195 CE
      Noetus .............................160—195 CE
      Philume
      Prodicus
      Theodotus the Shoemaker
      Florinus
      Justin (author of Baruch)
      [The] Naasseene Preacher ...... 190—220 CE
      Sethians in Refutations ......... 190—220 CE
    (Found Christianities)
That list may well not be exhaustive and, of course, would be debateable

I would argue that Justin Martyr precedes or is perhaps contemporaneous with concrete development of and evidence for the canonical gospels
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:22 pm ... I would not be surprised if we might one day learn that Revelation was (at least one of) the earliest of our canonical writings and that all the others likewise were produced from the 130s (though I would allow for possible exceptions with some of Paul and Odes of Solomon and maybe Ascension of Isaiah)
I wouldn't be surprised, either
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

John T wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:58 pm

It is all so confusing just who all those "many" mythcists are and what they believe or don't believe.
Perhaps you can shed some light on your understanding who ABuddhist is referring too?

Don't you find it strange how I have to provide quotes, names, and dates for ABuddhist regarding mythicists (which I'm happy to do) but not the other-way around?

Away, the book of Revelation was written in the 1st century and the number of the beast was code for Titus according to "many" mythcists. :cheeky:
1. Mythicists certainly believe a diversity of views and can disagree with each other and nonmythicists, as I and others, including Neil Godfrey, have pointed out to you, but the same can be said about atheists, theists, Christians and Buddhists, all of whom disagree with each other and non-Xes about various things. The best solution, I find, in all cases, is to avoid speaking about generalities but to mention particulars. My particular within this thread was not the precise beliefs of many mythicists (about revelation to John or anything else) but rather how prominent mythicists, secular non-mythicist scholars, and Christians agree that Revelation to John is a primitive text.

2. When did I ask you to provide names, quotations, and dates about mythicists? I honestly cannot recall such an encounter. In any case, such a provision of resources is not strange given that we are engaging in discussion about scholarly matters - in my job, I often cite from documents when writing about scholarly issues.

3. If you are not being sarcastic in your claim about the Revelation to John, such a claim is not as outrageous as it may seem. Witulski (a non-mythicist scholar) argues that the Beast was Hadrian, and Titus, midway between Nero and Hadrian, would at least fit chronologically with a 90s CE composition date. If you are being sarcastic, then I apologize - detecting written humour is difficult for me, especially from strangers.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

ABuddhist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 am I am not saying that I agree with such dating, but I have some thoughts about Christian origins if such were to be true.

So, if Revelation, which Gmirkin, many mythicists, and even some Christians (albeit obliquely!) note is a very primitive Christian text, dates to the time of Hadrian (as argued in Witulski, Thomas. Die Johannesoffenbarung Und Kaiser Hadrian: Studien Zur Datierung Der Neutestamentlichen Apokalypse. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2007.), would this mean that Christianity only arose during that time period?
There'd still be a lot to unpack eg. what form/s of Christianity would have arisen when? ..

ABuddhist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 am Such a dating would fit with claims by later Christian apologists that Christianity remained united until the time of Hadrian, if one keep in mind the fact (emphasized by Doherty) that the early Christian movement was theologically diverse.
That doesn't make sense: the two main premises (before and after the comma) are not related or not relatable

ABuddhist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 am According, therefore to a model in which Christianity arose during Hadrian’s time (which I am not supporting, just considering), later proto-Orthodox Christians, wanting to add authority and antiquity to their movement, acknowledged the real diversity at their religion’s beginning but invented an earlier, unified, past in order to give to their proto-Orthodox Christianity more authority.
Certainly later Christians, such as Irenaeus, Tertuallian, etc, wanted or gave the impression that they wanted there to be a 'history' there had been a consistent Christian actual orthodox past. Right back to the time of Jesus. But their only acknowledgement of the real diversity at their religion’s beginning was to strongly imply that that diversity was the result of 'heretics' trying to butcher or actually butchering orthodoxy
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

MrMacSon wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:46 pm
ABuddhist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 am Such a dating would fit with claims by later Christian apologists that Christianity remained united until the time of Hadrian, if one keep in mind the fact (emphasized by Doherty) that the early Christian movement was theologically diverse.
That doesn't make sense: the two main premises (before and after the comma) are not related or not relatable
To clarify, my argument was that because later Christianity crushed/assimilated earlier diverse forms of Christianity, and because scholarship has increasingly come to recognize that Christianity was diverse from the beginning, this acknowledgement that Christianity was diverse from Hadrian's time could be interpreted as evidence that it began during Hadrian's time.

Not that I agree with this claim - I am just considering it.