GThomas 9 --- That Darn Worm

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

GThomas 9 --- That Darn Worm

Post by robert j »

A worm of destruction from the fiery and hellish realms?

The versions of the Parable of the Sower in the NT Synoptics and Thomas are quite similar. However, with the sole exception of Matthew, each version contains elements not found in any of the others.

A rapacious worm is one of the unique elements found only in Thomas ---

… And some others fell upon the thorn-bushes. They choked the seed and the worm (yNT) ate them. (Thomas, logion 9)

(note: Coptic font an approximation)

In Thomas, the sowing was by the handful, lots of seed. But “the worm” in the Coptic is singular with a singular article. One little worm wouldn’t be of concern in a literal sense. Perhaps the author intended one bad-ass and ravenous worm. Perhaps like this undying scoundrel in Isaiah ---

And they shall go forth, and shall see the carcasses of men, the ones violating against me [the Lord]. For their worm (σκώληξ) shall not die, and their fire shall not be quenched, and they will be for a sight to all flesh. (Isaiah 66:24, LXX)

The Worm of Gehenna

The author of Mark used a direct citation of this passage in Isaiah and characterized the worm as a denizen of Gehenna. A place of unquenchable fire (Mark 9:43) where one might end-up --- instead of in the kingdom of heaven ---

And if your eye should cause you to stumble, cast it out; it is better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into Gehenna (γέενναν), where their worm (σκώληξ) does not die, and the fire is not quenched. (Mark 9:47-48)

The Worm of Abbaton

The undying worm is also found in the Discourse on Abbaton with a direct citation of Isaiah 66:24. The Discourse is a Coptic text attributed to a Timothy, Archbishop of Alexandria about 380 to 385 CE. Abbaton (Abaddon) is seen as the angel of the abyss (Revelation 9:11), and as a fiery place of destruction (Hebrew text of Job 31:12).

In the short excerpt below, the worm is associated with Satan, a lying prophet, and Antichrist the son of perdition; whom along with all their followers will be cast into a lake of fire and never enjoy repose ---

And forthwith I shall utter curses upon Satan that day, and I will make them to seize him, and to fetter him in the bonds which cannot be broken, and I will curse that lying prophet who hath led astray all the nations, and Antichrist, the son of perdition, and they shall cast them into the Lake of Fire which burneth with fire and sulphur, together with all those who have been their followers in the world, and they shall never enjoy repose, day or night. Their worm (yNT) shall not die, and their fire shall not be quenched.

(Discourse on Abbaton, this passage is near the end)

In the Hebrew text of Job 31:12, the fires of Abaddon are fires of destruction, associated with a loss of the increase gained from God ---

For it would be fire that consumes to Abaddon (אֲבַדּ֣וֹן), and would uproot all my increase (תְּב֖וּאָתִ֣י) (Job 31:12, Masoretic)

The Hebrew term translated here as "increase" also finds use as "harvest" or "crop", and figuratively as "gain of wisdom".

Absent a more convincing solution, I’ll go with the undying worm of the hellish fires of Isaiah 66:24 --- seen in the same light as represented in Gehenna and in Abaddon --- as the model for the ravenous worm in logion 9 of Thomas that “eats” the seed. The words of enlightenment consumed to destruction.

robert j