Is the Wonderous Tall Man in Acts of Perpetua and Felicitas "Jesus"?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
HistoryAndReviews

Is the Wonderous Tall Man in Acts of Perpetua and Felicitas "Jesus"?

Post by HistoryAndReviews »

Both Jesus (who is not named in the text explicitly), and the Wonderous tall man/Trainer both call Perpetua "Daughter"

and in the midst of the garden a white-haired man sitting in the dress of a shepherd, of a large stature, milking sheep; and standing around were many thousand white-robed ones. And he raised his head, and looked upon me, and said to me, 'Thou are welcome, daughter.'
And I drew near to the trainer and took the branch; and he kissed me, and said to me, 'Daughter, peace be with you:'

And Jesus said "Peace be with you" in the Gospel of John.

Just want to get some clarification on this since the text is sometimes difficult to follow
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Is the Wonderous Tall Man in Acts of Perpetua and Felicitas "Jesus"?

Post by Peter Kirby »

HistoryAndReviews wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:29 pm Both Jesus (who is not named in the text explicitly), and the Wonderous tall man/Trainer both call Perpetua "Daughter"

and in the midst of the garden a white-haired man sitting in the dress of a shepherd, of a large stature, milking sheep; and standing around were many thousand white-robed ones. And he raised his head, and looked upon me, and said to me, 'Thou are welcome, daughter.'
And I drew near to the trainer and took the branch; and he kissed me, and said to me, 'Daughter, peace be with you:'

And Jesus said "Peace be with you" in the Gospel of John.

Just want to get some clarification on this since the text is sometimes difficult to follow
Welcome to the forum!
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

IMO these accounts are authentic dream records which makes their true meaning problematic. However it seems clear that, in the text as we have it, they are understood as visions of Jesus Christ for whom Perpetua is about to heroically die.

Andrew Criddle
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

andrewcriddle wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:36 pm IMO these accounts are authentic dream records which makes their true meaning problematic. However it seems clear that, in the text as we have it, they are understood as visions of Jesus Christ for whom Perpetua is about to heroically die.
Am reminded a bit of the Gospel of Peter, where two tall angels lead out an exceptionally tall man, presumably Jesus.
[39] And while they were relating what they had seen, again they see three males who have come out from they sepulcher, with the two supporting the other one, and a cross following them, [40] and the head of the two reaching unto heaven, but that of the one being led out by a hand by them going beyond the heavens. (Raymond Brown's translation, http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... brown.html )
This could be something, or nothing.

DCH