Who are the scholars who have denied the historicity of the Teacher of Righteousness?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John T

Re: Who are the scholars who have denied the historicity of the Teacher of Righteousness?

Post by John T »

maryhelena wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:49 am
John T wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:40 am If Jonathan (high priest) 143 BCE is correctly identified as 'the Wicked Priest' by the Essenes at Qumran, then his nemesis i.e. "The Teacher of Righteousness" must have lived around the same time. Hyrcanus II (high priest) 30 BCE, arrived over a hundred years later.

Doudna is wrong for so many reasons other than just picking the wrong century.
Greg Doudna's research is available.... as is all DSS research.....for investigation and critique by DSS scholars. I doubt your opinion of his research, voiced on this forum, carries any weight at all.
Dittos.
schillingklaus

Re: Who are the scholars who have denied the historicity of the Teacher of Righteousness?

Post by schillingklaus »

Jesus is not Jewish but Judaizing midrash.
John T

Post by John T »

Sinouhe wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 am I believe I once read an article that briefly mentioned one (or more) historians who rejected the historicity of the Teacher. But I would be unable to find the references unfortunately.

This idea has already crossed my mind. It could explain some things but i think he most likely existed.
Could it be in one of your books by Michael O Wise?
If so, keep in mind Michael O Wise has been called out before for having footnotes based on little to no evidence.
Just trying to help.
Sinouhe

Post by Sinouhe »

John T wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:20 am
Sinouhe wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 am I believe I once read an article that briefly mentioned one (or more) historians who rejected the historicity of the Teacher. But I would be unable to find the references unfortunately.

This idea has already crossed my mind. It could explain some things but i think he most likely existed.
If so, keep in mind Michael O Wise has been called out before for having footnotes based on little to no evidence.
Just trying to help.
If you can't be smart, at least try to be funny.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Just trying to help.
What source exists for such a claim? Who, where, when, in what context? Such things are important to know when assessing credibility and reliability.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

I have written that the person called teacher or righteousness was historical.
Does anyone here, guiseppe or any one else, have reasons to argue otherwise??
John T

Post by John T »

StephenGoranson wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:30 pm I have written that the person called teacher or righteousness was historical.
Does anyone here, guiseppe or any one else, have reasons to argue otherwise??
Nope.
That is until they realize to acknowledge him is to connect him to John the Baptist which connects him to Jesus. Then it will all turn into an interpolation of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Wet, lather, rinse, repeat.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Sinouhe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:23 am

Just trying to help.
If you can't be smart, at least try to be funny.
:lol: