Evidence of crucifixion in outer space in Acta Archelai

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John T

Re: Acta Archelai (Archelaus' Acts of the Disputation with the Heresiarch Manes)

Post by John T »

mlinssen wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:35 pm And στοιχεῖα is either nominative or accusative plural. Is all you have Strong's?
I will give you this one respite.

I cringe every time I have to cite the King James Bible, likewise, every time I have to use Strong's. But be as it may, they go together like salt and pepper and are the most common condiments/references that Christians use.

What does Carrier use when he preaches his tripe?

Yeah, I thought so.
billd89

Re: Evidence of Hanging in Outer Space

Post by billd89 »

I'm dragging through my old files, something I wrote down as I researched CH XIII: this is my place-holder, apologies. I dimly recall finding some Hermetic material on this.

CH 13.17: μέλλω γὰρ ὑμνεῖν τὸν κτίσαντα τὰ πάντα͵ τὸν πήξαντα τὴν γῆν καὶ οὐρανὸν κρεμάσαντα ...

For I am going to praise him who created all things, the One who established the earth and suspended heaven, ...
For I will sing the praise of Him who founded all; who fixed the Earth, and hung up Heaven ...

Proclus quotes Julian the Theurgist at several points, which Lewy (1956), pp.123–25 assembles and translates as follows: ‘The Demiurge bent heaven into a curved shape, and attached to it the great multitude of the fixed stars, forcing fire to fire, so that they may not move through wearisome strain, but by a fixture that is not subject to vagaries. He sent underneath six planets, and in their midst the seventh: the fire of the Sun; and he suspended their disorder on the well-ranged girdles of the spheres.’

https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/kremannymi
Luke 23:39 One of the criminals hanging (kremasthentōn | κρεμασθέντων | aor pass ptcp gen pl masc) there kept deriding him, saying, “Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us!

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging (kremasantes | κρεμάσαντες | aor act ptcp nom pl masc) him on a tree.

Giuseppe

Re: Evidence of Hanging in Outer Space

Post by Giuseppe »

billd89 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:23 pm I'm dragging through my old files, something I wrote down as I researched CH XIII: this is my place-holder, apologies. I dimly recall finding some Hermetic material on this.

CH 13.17: μέλλω γὰρ ὑμνεῖν τὸν κτίσαντα τὰ πάντα͵ τὸν πήξαντα τὴν γῆν καὶ οὐρανὸν κρεμάσαντα ...

For I am going to praise him who created all things, the One who established the earth and suspended heaven, ...
For I will sing the praise of Him who founded all; who fixed the Earth, and hung up Heaven ...

Proclus quotes Julian the Theurgist at several points, which Lewy (1956), pp.123–25 assembles and translates as follows: ‘The Demiurge bent heaven into a curved shape, and attached to it the great multitude of the fixed stars, forcing fire to fire, so that they may not move through wearisome strain, but by a fixture that is not subject to vagaries. He sent underneath six planets, and in their midst the seventh: the fire of the Sun; and he suspended their disorder on the well-ranged girdles of the spheres.’

https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/kremannymi
Luke 23:39 One of the criminals hanging (kremasthentōn | κρεμασθέντων | aor pass ptcp gen pl masc) there kept deriding him, saying, “Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us!

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging (kremasantes | κρεμάσαντες | aor act ptcp nom pl masc) him on a tree.

Accordingly I wonder if the crucifixion as form of death was based on the fool pretension, by demonic Archons, "to fix" Jesus forever in the sublunar realm.
andrewcriddle

Re: Evidence of crucifixion in outer space in Acta Archelai

Post by andrewcriddle »

For a discussion of the ideas about binding/crucifying the powers in Acta Archelai and other sources see Crucifying the Dragon by Franklin Trammel.

Andrew Criddle
Giuseppe

Re: Evidence of crucifixion in outer space in Acta Archelai

Post by Giuseppe »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:37 am Crucifying the Dragon by Franklin Trammel.
Interesting, thanks:

In James it is said that Jesus' crucifixion is inflicted upon the “figure of the archons». It is thus through the seizing of a son of light by the cosmic powers that their ruler and figure is pierced. This tradition of dark powers consuming light and being fixed or bound as a result is a prominent theme in Manichaean tradition.

The Archons want to crucify/fix Jesus but, by their ignorance/hybris, they ended to be themselves "crucified"/fixed/bound by Jesus. In firmament.

It sounds as a variant of 1 Corinthians 2:6-8, there is no doubt.

"Crucifixion" as fixation, binding, imprisonment, chaining to inferior material world.