Why the Parable of Good Samaritan is the only link between Marcion and Pilate

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why the Parable of Good Samaritan is the only link between Marcion and Pilate

Post by Giuseppe »

I am writing by smartphone so the reader will forgive me if I don't have at the moment the link of this source:

Our Lord was not born from a woman, but stole the domain of the Creator and came down and appeared for the first time between Jerusalem and Jericho like a human being in form and image and likeness, but without our body.

This source talks about another incipit, one different from the famous "In the 15° year of Tiberius, etc".

However, I think that the two incipit share something in common.

In the less known incipit, Jesus descends from above between Jerusalem and Jericho, just as the Parable of Good Samaritan has for the Samaritan: hardly a coincidence.

Now, Pilate was known in the real History as "the slayer of Samaritans".

Accordingly, Marcion introduced Pilate because the descent of Jesus from above between Jerusalem and Jericho makes him the equivalent of the Good Samaritan, i.e. the prototipe of the alien helper, and Pilate was the only Roman governor who was famous, even in Rome, for crucifying Samaritans.

Hence, the two different incipit are not so different: really, they describe the same not-event, the same allusion to the essential strangeness of Jesus by reference to his being a "Samaritan".
mlinssen

Re: Why the Parable of Good Samaritan is the only link between Marcion and Pilate

Post by mlinssen »

Imagine if Marcion was not only anti-Judaic but essentially told a story about a Samarian (not Samaritan) going against Judeans in particular as well?
"Jews" fighting in Roman controlled territory would be nothing but indeed that, Jews fighting among themselves - it would take a lot of interest and knowledge to actually figure out that the cause was a long-lived feud between North & South, and to Romans they would all just be tax paying resources like everyone else

Then the movement grows and attracts "Gentiles" as well, and Samarians would greatly outnumber Judeans. From the outside it would look very complicated with some Jews (the Samarians) being both anti-Roman (if Marcion had Jesus executed by Romans) a well as anti-Jew (= anti-Judean) whereas some Jews would be pre-Roman or at least neutral towards Romans (namely the Judeans).
From the outside, Jews would also be pro-Jesus and pro-Chrestus as well as anti-Jesus and anti-Chrestus - how confusing and complicated would that be to Romans?

In a few weeks I'll be working on logion 60, of which I'm sure that the message is twofold, with the base theme being the division between Samarians and Judeans: the Samarian is carrying his lamb into Judea as a peace offering (hence Salome in the next logion) because they seek a Repose - which is of the dead, of course; I interpret it as Thomas calling onto Samarians to do exactly the opposite as what the Samarian is doing.
But we'll see what it turns out to be
MrMacSon

Re: Why the Parable of Good Samaritan is the only link between Marcion and Pilate

Post by MrMacSon »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:03 pm
Our Lord was not born from a woman, but stole the domain of the Creator and came down and appeared for the first time between Jerusalem and Jericho like a human being in form and image and likeness, but without our body.

That is from a fragmentary Syriac manuscript: London, British Library, Add. 17215 (fols. 30–3) which provides that passage in the name of Marcion

It's mentioned in

Riemer Roukema (2004) The Good Samaritan in Ancient Christianity Vigiliae Christianae vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 56-74
https://www.jstor.org/stable/1584537?seq=1 (Roukema (n. 8, p.57) notes that the English translation is based upon Zahn, 2010.)

and
Philip Michael Forness (2021) The Anonymous Source for Marcion's Gospel in British Library, Add. 17215: An Identification and Analysis New Testament Studies, vol 64, no. 1; pp. 541-59.

.... While this text has hitherto been cited as an anonymous Syriac source, this article identifies it as a letter by Jacob of Serugh (d. 520/1) and offers preliminary remarks on the implications of this identification for future research on Marcion's Gospel and his thought. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... 80531F2595

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

mlinssen wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:46 pm Imagine if Marcion was not only anti-Judaic but essentially told a story about a Samarian (not Samaritan) going against Judeans in particular as well?
I think that the Samaritan allegorized the alien, the 'other', just as today it is described as such in sermons, etc. Too good 'coincidence', here, between the Alien God of Marcion and the prototype of the 'other'. Therefore it is not a mere coincidence.

Which is the reason why I am highly skeptical about presumed Samaritan origins of Christianity, or samaritan origin of anti-demiurgism, for that matter.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So my point is that, the descent of Jesus from above as an alien Messiah in order to save the humanity, a descent followed by the his crucifixion by Archons, was interpreted, deliberately by Marcion, as the seditious action of the Samaritan Impostor slain by Pilate.

Marcion's Jesusthe Samaritan Impostor
is alienis not-Jew
is crucified by Archonsis crucified by Pilate
is hated by Jewsis hated by Jews
overcomes Moses (by destroying the Law)overcomes Moses (by showing the presumed vessels buried by Moses)

So Marcion could say: you Jews believed wrongly that my Jesus was the Samaritan Impostor. But really he only appeared as such.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Curiosity:

Simon Magus was said to be Simon of Samaria.

Simon of Cyrene works as the Good Samaritan (afterall, he appears from nothing - from the 'country': from Jericho to Jerusalem?) as helper of a person tortured by Archons/robbers), only he is not from Samaria, he is from Cyrene.

But I remember that Robert M. Price said something about the area including Cyrene, Cypros, Samaria being the area of provenance of Simon Magus.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Obviously someone has argued that Tacitus had the Samaritan Impostor in mind when he wrote auctor nominis eius etc.
Tacitus didn't distinguish between Samaritans and Jews: all Jews, for him.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:00 am
Curiosity:
Simon Magus was said to be Simon of Samaria.

Simon of Cyrene works as the Good Samaritan (afterall, he appears from nothing - from the 'country': from Jericho to Jerusalem?) as helper of a person tortured by Archons/robbers), only he is not from Samaria, he is from Cyrene.

But I remember that Robert M. Price said something about the area including Cyrene, Cypros, Samaria being the area of provenance of Simon Magus.
From The Amazing Colossal Apostle #1

I have implied that there were partisans who revered Paul as their figurehead in his own right, with no reference at all to Jesus. To such people, hinted at in the early verses of 1 Corinthians, it was not necessarily absurd to suggest that Paul had been crucified for them, that they owed their salvation to baptism in his name. We can trace the broad outlines of such a cult in the Acts of Paul where the subject of the book is a hero in his own right. We glimpse this group of exclusively Paul-worshiping people in the Nag Hammadi Revelation of Paul, in which the name of Jesus is never once mentioned. It is Paul who is commissioned to bring Gnostic illumination to mortals.

What do we know of the pre-Christian cult of Paul? It was the Simonian cult! It is his devotees who are in view in 1 Corinthians 1:11-14 when we hear the shout, “I am of Paul!” Call him what you will, but call on his name by all means. He is Simon Magus, who claimed to be a savior, the Great Power. Justin Martyr tells us that the Magus was widely worshipped for decades. He had not converted to Christianity any more than the historical Baptist had endorsed Jesus as the one who was to come.

It means, too, that Christianity failed to co-opt and absorb Simonianism. But it tried. It will come as no surprise that the followers of Simon Magus returned the favor, trying their best to assimilate Christianity. Simonianism sought to co-opt the competing Jesus movement by claiming it was someone named Simon who was crucified, albeit only seemingly. We see this depicted, for those who have eyes to see, in Mark, Matthew, and Luke.

These Gospel writers, with no discernible narrative motivation, claimed that Simon of Cyrene was pressed into service to carry the cross in Jesus’s stead.[43] I do not mean to say that the Gospel writers would have recognized the significance of this oral tradition, but the Gnostics did. In Samaria, Simon said he had been worshipped as Jehovah (“the Father”) in Old Testament times. Now he was being manifest to the gentiles as the Holy Spirit. Bingo! There is the Pauline mission to the gentiles. But among Jews he had gone to the cross where he appeared to be crucified, that is, as Jesus. By the way, we need not suppose chicanery on Simon’s part. He may well have believed himself to be the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, just as the third-century Apostle Mani, as we have seen, claimed he was the latest vessel of the spirit that had embodied itself in Zoroaster, the Buddha, and Jesus Christ.

Price, Robert M. The Amazing Colossal Apostle: The Search for the Historical Paul. Signature Books.

From The Amazing Colossal Apostle #2

Marcion and the Gospel story
We always read that Marcion came armed to the theological fray with a sheaf of Pauline letters plus a single Gospel, a shorter version of canonical Luke. Church apologists said Marcion’s version was shorter than Luke because Marcion abbreviated it, removing what he deemed “false pericopes.” This is not implausible and it would just mean that Marcion used the same critical methodology his contemporaries, the Ebionites, applied to their copies of the Old Testament. Others believe Marcion possessed an original, shorter Gospel, which he tampered with only minimally, an early version of Luke.

Paul-Louis Couchoud[53] argued that Marcion’s gospel was very nearly what other scholars have called proto-Luke or ur-Lukas. G.R.S. Mead hypothesized that Marcion did not have such a Gospel narrative but rather a collection of sayings, something like the hypothetical Q source.[54] This diversity of opinion translates into the uncertainty as to whether we are dealing with Marcion’s own canon or whether we are hearing what Marcionites would later compile and ascribe to Marcion. They were not hidebound traditionalists, after all. It is my opinion that Marcion’s scripture contained only epistles, and no Gospel. His followers added proto-Luke (or ur-Lukas) later on. First, it appears to me both that Marcion is responsible for significant portions of the epistolary text and that the epistles are quite innocent of the gospel tradition of sayings and deeds by an earthly Jesus.

Therefore, Marcion not only possessed no Gospel but knew nothing of our Jesus tradition. All he would have gleaned from Simonianism was the belief that someone had seemingly undergone crucifixion among the Jews. Isn’t that close enough? Wouldn’t he at least have taken for granted a recent historical Jesus? No, I think not, and for two reasons. First, our oldest narrative gospel, that of Mark, already contains not only the episode of Simon substituting for Jesus, but it is a version that has been historicized, implying an earlier version in which Simon of Cyrene’s identity was that of Simon Magus. Second, as we have already seen, the Jesus story in the Toledoth Jeschu is a much better candidate for the Jesus story to which Simon would have appealed in that it has a magus seeking out another Helen. This is not to say that the Toledoth Jeschu was available to Simon, but elements of it may have been.

Price, Robert M.. The Amazing Colossal Apostle

Both of these excerpts are from Chapter 7: 'The secret of Simon Magus'
Last edited by MrMacSon on Thu May 26, 2022 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So the Parable of Good Samaritan reported in nuce the entire original Marcion's belief: that an alien deity descended from above, in the sublunar realm ("between Jerusalem and Jericho"), where he appeared to be crucified, that is, as the wound man he would have helped.

The Gospel writers historicized this 'oral tradition', i.e. the Parable of Good Samaritan, with the episode of Simon of Cyrene/Simon Magus.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Robert M. Price wrote that Cyrene/Cypros/Gitta/Samaria are
interchangeable names in The Pre-Nicene New Testament.