Is the second commandment a REAL blasphemy when put immediately after the first commandment?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Is the second commandment a REAL blasphemy when put immediately after the first commandment?

Post by Giuseppe »

Usually one reads that also in the Judaism the love "for your neighbor as yourself" was found, well before the Christian times.

The problem I have with this view is that we have no evidence at all of a such commandment being put, in Judaism, on the same level of the first commandment (== love for YHWH above all).

Hence the fact alone that the two commandments appeared together even only on the same row makes me think that it is sufficient to raise a giant antithesis between Christianity and Judaism:

25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying,
Teacher, doing what shall I obtain life?

26 But he said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said,
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God from all thy heart, and from all thy soul,
and from all thy strength, and from all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

(Mcn 10:25-28)

Not coincidentially
, "Mark" removed the reference to 'love thy neighbour as thyself" and the reason is clear: "Mark", as every Jew adorer of YHWH as supreme god, would have cried to blasphemy, otherwise, in seeing scandalously equated the first commandment with the commandment to love the neighbour:

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

Giuseppe

Re: Is the second commandment a REAL blasphemy when put immediately after the first commandment?

Post by Giuseppe »

Why does "Mark" take any effort to point out that "the second is this" ?

The second, only the second.

In Mcn there was not a such precise distinction between "first" and "second":

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God... ...and thy neighbour as thyself.

mlinssen

Re: Is the second commandment a REAL blasphemy when put immediately after the first commandment?

Post by mlinssen »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:07 am Why does "Mark" take any effort to point out that "the second is this" ?

The second, only the second.

In Mcn there was not a such precise distinction between "first" and "second":

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God... ...and thy neighbour as thyself.

This is a perfect example for the order of the canonicals

Mark 12:28 And one of the scribes having come up, having heard them reasoning together, having seen that He answered them well, questioned Him, “Which commandment is the first of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘Hear this O Israel: The Lord our God is One Lord, 30 and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is not another commandment greater than these.”

Luke 10:25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up, testing Him, saying, “Teacher, what having done, will I inherit eternal life?” 26 And He said to him, “What has been written in the Law? How do you read it?” 27 And answering, he said, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind’ and ‘Your neighbor as yourself.’

Matthew 19:16 And behold, one having come to Him said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I might have eternal life?” 17 And He said to him, “Why do you ask Me about what is good? Only One is good. But if you desire to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 He says to Him, “Which?” And Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not bear false witness, 19 you shall honor the father and mother, and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

Mark goofs up as usual, making the "love your neighbour" the second command - which is extremely anti-Judaic of course.
Luke fixes that by leaving out the word "second" and puts a few words in between for good measure, yet said basically the same as Mark does.
Matthew naturally follows the Tanakh, more or less

Naturally, I suspect that Mark read in Marcion something like the following:

25. IS said: love your(SG) brother in the manner of your Soul, make be Guard him in the manner of the pupil of your eye.

Matthew removes all evidence of that by dropping even the soul.
I don't have Klinghardt next to me but Roth doesn't attest to the neighbour in Marcion - funny, isn't it? FINALLY an example of Marcion "really" excising something from Luke, and nobody seems to notice?!
Last edited by mlinssen on Sun May 29, 2022 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

And I really should make the interpretation a legible one. Part III will be all well and swell, and so will the English part of the Translation 2.0
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Love your neighbor as yourself goes back to Leviticus 19:18
Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against any of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD
Andrew Criddle
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:48 am Love your neighbor as yourself goes back to Leviticus 19:18
Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against any of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD
Andrew Criddle
No, that is a falsification, and pay off the topic in my current thread of the LXX:

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/kamocha_3644.htm

18 occurrences, and in only 1 of those this word doesn't mean "like" yet instead "like yourself"?

It would appear that Leviticus 19:18 says

Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against any of your people, but love your neighbor as I (me) the LORD.

andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

mlinssen wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:08 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:48 am Love your neighbor as yourself goes back to Leviticus 19:18
Andrew Criddle
No, that is a falsification, and pay off the topic in my current thread of the LXX:

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/kamocha_3644.htm

18 occurrences, and in only 1 of those this word doesn't mean "like" yet instead "like yourself"?

It would appear that Leviticus 19:18 says

Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against any of your people, but love your neighbor as I (me) the LORD.

There are other parallels to this usage Leviticus 19:34
You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
with the same Hebrew

Job 35:8
Your wickedness concerns a man like yourself, and your righteousness a son of man.
1Kings 13:18
Then he said to him, “I too am a prophet like you, and an angel spoke to me by the word of the LORD, saying, ‘Bring him back with you to your house, so that he may eat bread and drink water.’” But he lied to him
Andrew Criddle
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:00 amNot coincidentially[/i], "Mark" removed the reference to 'love thy neighbour as thyself" and the reason is clear: "Mark", as every Jew adorer of YHWH as supreme god, would have cried to blasphemy, otherwise, in seeing scandalously equated the first commandment with the commandment to love the neighbour:
Aren't those complimentary commands though? Justin Martyr saw those two commandments as summing up righteousness, which is divided into two branches: God and men:
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... rypho.html

And hence I think that our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ spoke well when He summed up all righteousness and piety in two commandments. They are these: 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy strength, and thy neighbour as thyself.' For the man who loves God with all the heart, and with all the strength, being filled with a God-fearing mind, will reverence no other god; and since God wishes it, he would reverence that angel who is beloved by the same Lord and God. And the man who loves his neighbour as himself will wish for him the same good things that he wishes for himself, and no man will wish evil things for himself. Accordingly, he who loves his neighbour would pray and labour that his neighbour may be possessed of the same benefits as himself. Now nothing else is neighbour to man than that similarly-affectioned and reasonable being--man. Therefore, since all righteousness is divided into two branches, namely, in so far as it regards God and men, whoever, says the Scripture, loves the Lord God with all the heart, and all the strength, and his neighbour as himself, would be truly a righteous man.

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

no doubt about that, Leviticus 19:18 is only a mere commandment, one among many. My point is that the Christian original feature is to place the love of the neighbor in the first positions, at the same level, more or less, of love of YHWH.

Hence I wonder: to what extent would a Jew be scandalized by this placing of the two commandaments on an equal level?

Isn't the absoluteness of love for God someway reappraised/relativized/undermined by the increased importance of the love for neighbor?

Am I correct to see in this a typical marcionite antithesis? By a Jesus who is playing with the cards given to him by the same Jewish scriptures?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

GakuseiDon wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:38 am
And hence I think that our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ spoke well when He summed up all righteousness and piety in two commandments.

righteousness and piety being complimentary commands? Sure. For Justin.

We know well that for Marcion the just Demiurge is diametrically opposed to the piety of the Good God.