Parallel characters and fears: Mark 16:1-8 / Gal 2:7-13

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

Parallel characters and fears: Mark 16:1-8 / Gal 2:7-13

Post by gryan »

Re: A comparison of Mark 16:1-8 and Gal 2:7-13

Mark 16:1-8
1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James [i.e. of James son of Alphaeus, the recognized pillar], and Salome [the mother of Zebedee's children] bought spices so they could go and anoint the body of Jesus. 2Very early on the first day of the week,a just after sunrise, they went to the tomb. 3They were asking one another, “Who will roll away the stone from the entrance of the tomb?” 4But when they looked up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away, even though it was extremely large. 5When they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed. 6But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here! See the place where they put Him. 7But go, tell His disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see Him, just as He told you.’ ” And they went out and fled from the tomb, for trembling and astonishment had seized them, and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid (ἐφοβοῦντο).

Gal 2:7-13
…seeing [ἰδόντες] that I have been entrusted with the gospel… 9 and knowing [γνόντες] the grace having been given to me, James [son of Alphaeus] and Cephas [Peter] and John [son of Zebedee], the ones recognized to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, in order that we go to the Gentiles; but, they to the circumcision. 10 They asked only that we should be mindful of the poor, also the same thing that I was eager to do. 11Nevertheless, when Cephas came [Ὅτε δὲ ἦλθεν Κηφᾶς] to Antioch, I resisted him to his face because a charge had been laid against him: 12For before the coming of some from James [the Lord’s brother/James the less -- NOT to be confused with the pillar/James son of Alphaeus], he would eat with the gentiles. But when he came [ὅτε δὲ ἦλθεν i.e. when Cephas came to Antioch] he was drawing back and separating himself, being afraid [φοβούμενος] of the circumcision. 13And also the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically with him, so that, by their hypocrisy, even Barnabas was carried away.

---------------------

Assuming my neo-traditional identification of the cast of characters is the original/authorial line-up, there are some striking parallels:

In Mark, it is the mothers of James son of Alphaeus and John son of Zebedee who are supposed to "tell Peter" that the crucified one has risen.

In Galatians, it is James son of Alphaeus, Cephas/Peter, and John son of Zebedee who give Paul and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship.

And in both narratives, fear becomes a key factor!

What is the significance of these parallels?