zoom conf. "Next Quest for the Historical Jesus"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
StephenGoranson

Re: zoom conf. "Next Quest for the Historical Jesus"

Post by StephenGoranson »

Of course I do not know everyone, nor do I know all the literature. I suggested some "participants" might be worth hearing. Proleptic dismissers suit yourselves.
Thor

Post by Thor »

https://www.culturematters.org.uk/index ... testament.
Given that most people in antiquity left no sign at all of their existence, and the poor are virtually invisible within the historical record, to deny the existence of non-elite figures such as Jesus on the basis of sparse evidence, could be considered, however unintentionally, as a class bias against the poor in history.
A little snippet from Robert Myles, who like others I checked up represent this new wave of ideological historians. One thing is for sure. This is not going to be much looking for Jesus at that conference
gryan

Post by gryan »

I've signed up.

Three that I know in advance I'd like to hear are Mark Goodacre, John Kloppenborg, and Robyn Walsh.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

gryan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:23 am I've signed up.

Three that I know in advance I'd like to hear are Mark Goodacre, John Kloppenborg, and Robyn Walsh.
None of the usual suspects for myself, they won't tell anything new. I'm interested in Young, Thiessen, Crossley and Keith - and see who I'll run into
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Promises to be a very, very entertaining session
FWSX9vMXEAIVve-.jpeg
FWSX9vMXEAIVve-.jpeg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
StephenGoranson

Most of the participants that I, based on previous experience, find most interesting are scheduled for later days.

One exception is Paula Fredriksen. She is both quite learned about Augustine and is an excellent presenter. How she will connect Augustine study in this context I do wonder, though that's the talk, of this batch, that I most anticipate.

On another hand, Marxist interpretations sometimes seem to me iffy. Even though Marx wrote "The criticism of religion is the basis of all criticism," he also wrote "Ce qu'il y a de certain, c'est que moi je ne suis pas Marxiste."
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

StephenGoranson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:56 am Most of the participants that I, based on previous experience, find most interesting are scheduled for later days.

One exception is Paula Fredriksen. She is both quite learned about Augustine and is an excellent presenter. How she will connect Augustine study in this context I do wonder, though that's the talk, of this batch, that I most anticipate.

On another hand, Marxist interpretations sometimes seem to me iffy. Even though Marx wrote "The criticism of religion is the basis of all criticism," he also wrote "Ce qu'il y a de certain, c'est que moi je ne suis pas Marxiste."
I was thinking the exact same about Fredriksen!

I hadn't expected you to be enthusiastic about this line-up LOL. I'll give a summary of this day here afterwards
StephenGoranson

Though I don't know, the (assigned?) Augustine title may mislead, as she has substantial work on second-temple Judaism.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

StephenGoranson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:46 am Though I don't know, the (assigned?) Augustine title may mislead, as she has substantial work on second-temple Judaism.
Again I'd agree to all of that, which is precisely why I wondered myself.
Perhaps she got clubbed in, perhaps the subject got assigned - yet today is your lucky day!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2ozTwap2LGlKsRp5jvyEtB
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

mlinssen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:15 pm Promises to be a very, very entertaining session
Are you sure?

Stephen Young seems to be a historicist. Where is the presumed fun?